0-100 km/h: 5.6 sec
0-400 m: 13.7 @ 173.3 km/h
0-1000m: 24.5 @ 223.1 km/h
Winton Lap time: 1.43.32

18th: GTS Auto
0-100 km/h: 5.5 sec
0-400 m: 13.7 @ 170.7 km/h
0-1000m: 24.6 @ 218.4 km/h
Winton Lap time: 1.42.00 (corrected by flappist)
sitting patiently (not) for my copy to be delivered im interested in knowing why these cars, in figures, look almost identical but motor put the GTS down in 18th verses the phoon in 9th.
What didnt motor like about the gts?
Old 14-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #92
DougM

Why do we compete amongst ourselves as to which is the better car??? F6 or GT?? Both are great cars.....Does anyone remember XU1's being sold along side the Monaro??Both are just as popular but the XU1 was the quicker track car.....

Even today in the Historic Touring cars with more open rules the XU1 is the quickest of the Aussie GM muscle cars. I've owned an XR8 and now a XR6T and love both....Not everyone wants a modified race car!!! The 8 is a great cruiser and a quick street car. It has one of the best sounding engines that makes you smile at any speed.

The turbo has to be driven fast to be really enjoyable as it's very quiet....But the boost is certainly an awesome rush.....Just enjoy your cars people...Whichever one you may be driving(Ford of course)

That's my 20 cents worth.
Cheers
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #93
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
You might want to explain your post and then you might get some replies.
_
Okay, quite a few people on this forum whinge when a magazine doesn’t declare a ford product as the best car around, and these same people (keyboard jockey's) post up how biased the car mags are and that they are paid by Holden to get better reviews on their cars.

Every time more intelligent people (re: Flappist) explain that most of the whinging forum members wouldn’t know the first thing about what impacts these reviews like car dynamics etc we are forced to go into this to and fro to spell it out to the wannabees.

People should actually experience some of these things before making bold statements on these forums. All too often people hide behind their computers, living in another world : This statement is not just relevant to this discussion either.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #94
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
sitting patiently (not) for my copy to be delivered im interested in knowing why these cars, in figures, look almost identical but motor put the GTS down in 18th verses the phoon in 9th.
What didnt motor like about the gts?
I believe, tyres overheated quickly, the seats are too big, the brakes faded too fast, and it had some problem with the diff under heavy braking. Basically a heavy bucket of shit.
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #95
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
so how about the XR5T............How cool is that!!!!!!!
Actually, concidering the company it is in, EXTREMELY cool.

Yes it came 20th, but that is not actually LAST, it beat all the ones that did not not make it to the top 20 didn't it?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #96
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Wally, you're not really an engineer are you?

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #97
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
That's what my job title is ... but doesn't mean I am one either.
LOL

I'm an internet engineer ... I test it thoroughly ... using my standards.
:
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #98
Dilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
Although not topping the Aussie made cars, the Holden V8's still performed very well. Also, other than the $250000 BMW's, I think the SSV that the next n/a car on the list in 14th spot.
Actually the Z4M is ~$130k
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #99
xwgasaxe
under new management

Well I am ****ed with MOTOR for only delivering my subscribed copy yesterday whilst you blokes have been flapping on for a week now.
Good to see that FALKEN tyres came in a respectable 3rd which is contrary to XCGXL beliefs LOL!!
xwgasaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #100
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw

I take it you're going to get on the bandwagon and hit me with a witty oneliner no matter how I respond, but I could say I have two tertiary qualifications and three trade certificates.

Over to you for the cliched snipe, or are you going to surprise me with some intelligent banter.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #101
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys, if you want to fight take it out into the playground.

Definition of an engineer: Person who holds a B.Eng (or higher) or is an admitted member of IEEE.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #102
Wally
XP Coupe

Don't want to fight, just getting fedup with the hair pulling and bitchyness from certain self confident individuals.

Yes a professionally registered engineer needs that tertiary qualification, if only for the professional liability insurance.
Old 14-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #103
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And back to the F6 smahing the SSV and GTS................................. :
Old 14-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #104
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

They do have an “office” standard for standing starts. I think that it might be 1up (Wheels is driver and passenger), half a tank of gas and go for it. Do whatever it takes to get the times. Track condition, grade, humidity, driver sympathy, tyre pressure, car preparation, etc will affect the times. They use a V-box or something for their times and reckon that “the american mags don't use standing starts the way we do. our equipment measures acceleration times from the instant it detects any movement whatsoever. we've just got a new piece of hard and software called a vbox which is so accurate it can tell when the driver shuts the door. the american guys use drag-style starts, which are rolling, which is why they post faster times than we do.”

Track testing I assume was 1 up with Warren Luff driving (his data trace from earlier on in the year seemed to show him backing off more than me and my buddies (in different cars) do in the front esses). Winton has a transponder system where you can clip a sensor to your car and drive over the strips under the start finish line it will record your time. I have used the transponder system at the same time as an Intercomp lap timer (set up at the start finish line) and the times were indentical.

p.s. I'm not even remotely an engineer
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #105
Wally
XP Coupe

and that, gentlemen, is an answer. Thankyou for that information Rev28K. I know when we conduct tests, our instruments have to be NATA certified with calibration certificates indicating resolution errors, accuracy, etc with a setpoint temperature of nominally 25° and 50% Rh. When we move the equipment we check calibration against another certified device that has not been subjected to stress.

I would hazard a guess that cars tested in the morniing fair alot better than cars tested in the mid afternoon heat.
Old 14-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #106
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
A lot of the Holden hoo-ha is just bandwagon stuff. Like the Boxing Day Test. Like the Sydney Swans.
Haha. Another Victorian angry that their entire state can't play their own game... Anymore.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #107
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

As well as that some of the tests aren’t on level surfaces – I think it might have been on a NSW race track they only tested in one direction (because of braking areas) for a quarter mile and that had a downward slope, so those quarter mile times were a tad optimistic. Calibration – I’m not sure about that I assume that they have to do it occasionally. Some systems get there signals from GPS satellites that are synced to the earths orbit so they should be pretty accurate.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #108
red_hotxr6
Banned

So long as both cars use the same stretch of road and the same climatic conditions and the same speed calibration devices, it should all be a level playing field. :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post