Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #91
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Re: The mechanic rip-off rort

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_stak_tipa View Post
............, now imagine some poor person that has no idea, and just coughs it up, unbelievable!
thats the point i was trying to make, wheres the professionalism in that?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #92
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_stak_tipa View Post
As a known car guy at work i get asked for advice heaps, this story is a cracker, a workmate who has some idea about cars had been getting his car serviced for years at his local AUTO MASTERS, well he comes in one morning and says the water pump has **** itself in his VZ commo, it was leaking but he managed to get it back to the workshop, anyway he gets a call after they have diagnosed that yes its the water pump, NOW the fun bit.....

He was quoted 5k to sort it, supposedly it had done the head gaskets and would need the timing chain done too and on and on this quote went, i asked my mate did the car overheat? Nup! I said mate they are taking the ****, a second hand donk is cheaper than that fitted, but anyway take it across the road to ultratune and see what happens, so he did and it cost $200 to fix the water pump, that was it, now imagine some poor person that has no idea, and just coughs it up, unbelievable!
When the intake gaskets fail on those things you get emulsion under the oil cap which can be misinterpreted as a head gasket failure... Kfart pull this on all the time , anyway the X wife has a friend with the XU6 from HSV i qouted up a few things and stretched the intervals out over a month or so to help her budget and i would make a couple of hundred dollars ?

One day i was transferred to another shop and she got a flat battery, so it came in on a tow truck, one of the mechanics found my list in the glovebox and gave her a qoute drive out totalling $5500 !!!

Her mum paid for it on her credit card and the commo was there for two weeks !

I didn't get a cent out of the time i had already spent on the thing and i no longer play the nice guy , especially with neighbours that wake me up just to help them out ..

Peace out.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #93
Falcman0o7
Banned

Never been to a mechanic
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #94
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
I sold a car to a fella on the forums. Nice guy.... I think you know him?

Anyhoo, our neighbour 2 doors down wanted that car right or wrong.

There's no way I'd sell it that close to home, at any price. You can bet that I would have been fixing whatever problems arose for the life of the car.
Or, there would have been a falling out with the neighbour.

Whichever way was drama that I don't need.
Really depends though, I bought my Fairlane off the a close family friend and neighbor at the time too (Actually I'm close with his daughter, but being neighbours for quite a while meant our parents become very good friends too, hence the family friends now). But anyway, the car had just clocked 400,000km and he sold it onto me for 1.5k, of course he let me test drive it thoroughly, told me literally every detail he knew about what was wrong with the car and halved the asking price of 3k (which it definitely would have sold for in NZ) himself when I inquired about it.

Cars surprisingly not had any issues at all since I got it nearly 6 months ago, which came as a surprise to both him and me as it had been sitting unused for nearly 2 years. But my point is had something gone wrong, I definitely would not have gone back and put the blame on him. In fact I'd actually make it a point to never bring it up around him cause he'd probably feel guilty about it. I definitely don't think selling a car onto a neighbour or a friend would be an issue as long as you inform them completely about the condition of the car and let them test it themselves. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could blame you (the seller) if you did that.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #95
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
I definitely don't think selling a car onto a neighbour or a friend would be an issue as long as you inform them completely about the condition of the car and let them test it themselves. I don't see how anyone in their right mind could blame you (the seller) if you did that.
I wasn't concerned about fallout from the car sale.

What did concern me was in 6 months time "it's got a bit of a squeak from underneath" or "it was a bit hard to start this morning.... what do you think that could be?

So, what do you do? Tell him to take it to a mechanic or have a look?

The neighbourly thing to do is have a look. From there it's a short step to a few spanners and not so far from there to the thing spread out all over my garage floor.

No thanks...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #96
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
I wasn't concerned about fallout from the car sale.

What did concern me was in 6 months time "it's got a bit of a squeak from underneath" or "it was a bit hard to start this morning.... what do you think that could be?

So, what do you do? Tell him to take it to a mechanic or have a look?

The neighbourly thing to do is have a look. From there it's a short step to a few spanners and not so far from there to the thing spread out all over my garage floor.

No thanks...
True true. I never considered that aspect.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #97
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Any time I've taken any of my cars in for a service or repair I prepare 3 lists;

List 1 - Things to remove from the car before dropping it off.
E.g. All valuables, coins, GPS, all tools, spare key, etc
I basically empty the console, boot and glove box, check under the seats, etc.
Trust nobody!

Often they will leave your car unlocked in the yard / car park when finished, so anyone can get into your car including the public.
If something goes missing, it's too hard to point the finger without proof. Best to just avoid temptation in the first place.

List 2 - An itemised list I give the service supervisor of what I don't want them to do or touch and things I want them to do
e.g.
a. Don't replace the wiper blades
b. Don't put "Ford's favorite" windscreen washer additive in my reservoir (I have that filled with "RainX" in the correct diluted ratio).
c. Don't wash the car! (No dirty sponge and swirls marks wanted)
d. Stamp the logbook.
e. Don't use a ratchet gun on my "locking wheel nuts".
f. Any items that have been done recently elsewhere (e.g. brake pads, wheel alignment).
g. Make sure that my oil filter "sandwich plate" (for my oil pressure gauge) is on tight before putting on the new oil filter.
h. Don't stick a "reminder service" sticker on my windscreen. (I hate stickers!)

3. List 3 - Things to check when I pick up the car
e.g.
a. Check log book is stamped
b. Check tyre valve caps are put back on
c. Check wheel lock nut key is put back in car
d. Check oil level is correct
e. Walk around car - Check for scratches, dents or damage.
f. Check odometer reading (I make a note of the reading when I drop it off, don't want my car being used for errands).
g. Check all chrome engine "bling" covers and items are still there!

Also I tell them that no extra work or repairs (not initially agreed too) is to be performed without contacting me first for approval.

If I ask them to replace certain items such as a fuel filter for example, I will get a permanent marker and place a secret mark or black dot here and there on the item the night before, so I can be sure the part has been actually replaced.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #98
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always leave a few coins, for ***** 'n giggles.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2016, 01:26 AM   #99
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I had a Honda Accord in yesterday. I serviced the car about a month ago and they complained about the rear wheel bearings being noisy. So I checked all the wheel bearings and find no issues, but the rear tyres are badly scolloped. I tell them to go and get new tyres fitted.
So the car comes back yesterday and the customer is insisting the rear wheel bearings are noisy and wants them replaced. After driving the car I lift it again and check the bearings. They're fine but the tyres are really badly scolloped. So I rotate the tyres front to back and send them on their way again to get new tyres.
They'll probably be back next week for front wheel bearings. 👍
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #100
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I had a Honda Accord in yesterday. I serviced the car about a month ago and they complained about the rear wheel bearings being noisy. So I checked all the wheel bearings and find no issues, but the rear tyres are badly scolloped. I tell them to go and get new tyres fitted.
So the car comes back yesterday and the customer is insisting the rear wheel bearings are noisy and wants them replaced. After driving the car I lift it again and check the bearings. They're fine but the tyres are really badly scolloped. So I rotate the tyres front to back and send them on their way again to get new tyres.
They'll probably be back next week for front wheel bearings. ��

I hope you recommended a wheel alignment also

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #101
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Workshops try to up-sell products to improve their profits? REALLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway star View Post
I live in a small outback town in Qld
Makes two of us....

Quote:
Shed rent here is very cheap, some own their own and were bought very cheap for under 60k. Rates are good , no excess water, no environmental BS with on site oil seperators etc. No dump fees for tyres and the council takes the old oil at no charge.
Unless you're living in a place where you can throw a rock clean across town, the council amalgamations we had years ago would mean you have your new, you-beaut environmentally concious councils, and believe me, even in my pokey little town the council comes down on you like a woman scorned for environmental non compliance, they dont let you dispose of ANY tyres or commercial quantities of used oil for free, (surprise surprise the number of tyres getting dumped on the side of the road) and the rates are straight up bull****
Then you have to factor in insurance (public liability nevermind insuring your workers against crashes, etc), workcover, superannuation payments, pay for public holidays and annual leave, electricity, phone, training, equipment, annual inspections, etc.

Quote:
Here's what they charge for :
Coolant $9 p/litre
Diff oil $24 p/litre
Front brake pads for a RTV $99
Fuel filter $20
Engine oil $7 p/litre
Prices are pretty much on the ball for retail pricing for quality products

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
I rang them up and said to put my motor back into the car as we will not be buying into some unknown motor, and I was coming down to pick it up.
Surprised they didnt put a blob of valve grinding paste in the oil filter.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Well I was under the impression that timing belt intervals were only an issue if you have an interference engine. My mechanic also agreed with me on this and said that he does the same with his old mitsi (not interference). Just run the car till the belt breaks then get the job done. He said in his experience the belts tend to last a lot longer than the manual says they will, often more than twice as long. Mind you my first car was interference so I had it changed at the correct interval... only to grenade the transmission 4 months later and write it off

Anyone know if Barra 182's are interference or not?
They run a timing chain.......

Quote:
Supercheap are so tight. I worked for Repco for many years and bought a lot of things on my staff account. Yes there were guidelines but GI Joe never kicked the door in because I sold some cheap pads to a mate.
I can vouch for both sides of that, it was to the extent that management even encouraged it in some circumstances (ie: variety club bash entrants, etc) I never worked for supercheap though.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
So, what is the profession, trade or occupation of the OP?
Well call it a wild guess, but that brilliant piece of "investigative journalism" was written by someone with the qualifications and equipment to be a hooker....

Speaking of getting ripped off......
Old 22-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #102
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hows this for doing the right thing, Thursday I dropped off a customer back to their work in town, then we finished the job and I picked them up again early so they could run to the bank.

As they needed to go to the bank, I printed off an invoice, gave it to them and showed them the direct deposit details at the bottom of the invoice and said just pay me via internet transfer when you get home, so you can quickly get to the bank before they close.

I still haven't been paid.

Go to fookin Coles/Woolworths and see if you can have an account with them and see what they say.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #103
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Hows this for doing the right thing, Thursday I dropped off a customer back to their work in town, then we finished the job and I picked them up again early so they could run to the bank.

As they needed to go to the bank, I printed off an invoice, gave it to them and showed them the direct deposit details at the bottom of the invoice and said just pay me via internet transfer when you get home, so you can quickly get to the bank before they close.

I still haven't been paid.

Go to fookin Coles/Woolworths and see if you can have an account with them and see what they say.
You being too nice to your customers, by the way do you have a tattoo on your forehead starting with letter "D"
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #104
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
You being too nice to your customers, by the way do you have a tattoo on your forehead starting with letter "D"
Nah but I'll have a stamp of the offenders forehead on my fist when I rock up to their house and workplace to collect payment if they want to play these games

This is a two way street, I'm a nice guy when the business relationship is working assuming they do their part in this business-customer relationship.

If they don't deliver then I'm not so nice, I don't mind if people say to me, look I'm having a hard time paying some bills at the moment, no worries as long as I get my money in the end its fine, I'm happy to help people out.

If you intentionally try get work and intentionally run off without paying, then problems.

Someone ripped me off $900 last year, I know which town they live in and what car they drive but not an address, I've been driving around pretty often going street by street looking for them, I'll find them eventually

I pay ALL of my bills on time, I've never left anyone else out of pocket and never been on stop credit with any of my suppliers, so I take big offence when someone does it to me intentionally.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-05-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 22-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #105
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhell74 View Post
I hope you recommended a wheel alignment also

Yeah I did recommend a 4 wheel alignment. Hondas are bad for business. Nothing ever goes wrong with them. Everyone talks up Toyotas but Hondas are in another league. I service an Odyssey that's done 400,000km and it drives like new.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #106
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yeah I did recommend a 4 wheel alignment. Hondas are bad for business. Nothing ever goes wrong with them. Everyone talks up Toyotas but Hondas are in another league. I service an Odyssey that's done 400,000km and it drives like new.
Even electrical wise we never see Hondas and Mazdas, good cars.
Old 22-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #107
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember reading about a customer with a late model efi Windsor V8 who took it to a Ford dealer for a service. They told HIM that his lifters were noisy and then charged him $2.5k to replace them, bloody thieves.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #108
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did work experience at a Honda dealer in 1985 and they were saying the same about them back then.
Old 22-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #109
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
I did work experience at a Honda dealer in 1985 and they were saying the same about them back then.

It's so boring working at a Honda dealership. You never get to fix anything.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #110
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
It's so boring working at a Honda dealership. You never get to fix anything.
I started my apprenticeship at a Honda dealership, one of the mechanics there was fed up with life, saying he woke up in the morning and wonder how many major services they are going to do today
Old 22-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #111
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only issue with Honda are their spare parts , as years ago If you needed a new drive shaft , they charge by the badge not the part number , was quoted X amount for said shaft on a integra and Y amount on a civic , integra one was nearly double the price of civic and they were the exact same part.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #112
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
I remember reading about a customer with a late model efi Windsor V8 who took it to a Ford dealer for a service. They told HIM that his lifters were noisy and then charged him $2.5k to replace them, bloody thieves.
did they remove the heads?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #113
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
did they remove the heads?

Don't know, the guy wrote to ask Smithy in the Friday Telegraph cars guide. Probably 5-10 years ago, asking if he thought it was reasonable.
Old 22-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #114
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

pretty sure the last of the windsors ran roller cams and the heads had to be removed to replace the lifters, if so I could see an invoice going $2500 pretty quickly at dealership rates

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #115
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, but he didn't even complain about the noise. They told HIM they needed replacing.
Old 22-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #116
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Someone ripped me off $900 last year, I know which town they live in and what car they drive but not an address, I've been driving around pretty often going street by street looking for them, I'll find them eventually
If you've got their full name then you can get their address from the electoral roll.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #117
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
If you've got their full name then you can get their address from the electoral roll.
Send me a PM if you could on how to check that.

But I was thinking about making a Facebook profile with a girls name, choose a pic from a not so well known porn star's gallery on pornhub and add him as a friend.

Then try chat him up into organising a meetup and Big Damo and Co turn up instead

We could make a reality TV show out of this as well
4 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #118
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Send me a PM if you could on how to check that.

But I was thinking about making a Facebook profile with a girls name, choose a pic from a not so well known porn star's gallery on pornhub and add him as a friend.

Then try chat him up into organising a meetup and Big Damo and Co turn up instead

We could make a reality TV show out of this as well
You can check your local electoral roll at your local MP office, hopefully your customer is on the roll.
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #119
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Mitsubishi are also guilty of price changing. They have a different price for the same model depending on the year it was bought which makes no sense if it's the exact same car and work being done!
Actually that makes perfect sense.
Capped Price servicing is fixed at the time you buy the car. It wouldn't be capped if the price simply increased. So if you buy a Lancer this year, servicing is capped at $240 a year for the first four years. If you buy a Lancer next year, it will probably be capped at say $260 a year.
Old 22-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #120
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhell74 View Post
The only issue with Honda are their spare parts , as years ago If you needed a new drive shaft , they charge by the badge not the part number , was quoted X amount for said shaft on a integra and Y amount on a civic , integra one was nearly double the price of civic and they were the exact same part.
This also makes perfect sense.
Firstly, because parts like most goods are priced according to market demand. People seem to think that items should always be priced at "cost + X%" but that's not how the world works. A retailer may make a big margin on some products, and not much on others, depending on what customers are prepared to pay. Over time they will tend to devote less shelf space and inventory to lower margin items.
Secondly, differential pricing has been around since Eve sold Adam his first fig-leaf. Its one of the great equalisers in life. Try buying the same product for a Holden and a Mercedes.
The rationale is simple. If you can afford to buy the more expensive model, you can afford to pay more for your parts.
2 users like this post: