Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #91
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What is the best car you can buy for under $6000?

[QUOTE=sneak

not saying all young people will treat their cars badly, but when you are your P's is when you learn to drive and make mistakes - better to do that on a cheap car and get a decent one in a few years time..[/QUOTE]

Most young people do

In this day and age , by all means you want the safest car for your kids to drive in
You dont need to spend up big to have all the safety features
As for the older cars are worse or handle worse
Total and utter dribble

My sister learned to drive in a non abs car ,never hit anything
Bought here first abs car,using her same braking distance rule as she always had, bang straight up the rear
"Ï hit the brakes it just wouldnt stop"???
I learned to drive in an ol 3 speed, drumbraked HQ,with a fully worked 6
Big race cam,lumpy as a real pig to learn in
But i learned how
Driving an XC V8 into brissie daily with a small steering wheel with 235s on the front
Now thats armstrong steering for ya !!!

You learn to adjust your driving , hopefully to the car
The comment about the back end , coming loose around a round about and not exceeding 1800 rpm , and the live axles are dangerous
Just dribble
Learn to drive
We have had live axle cars around for what 100 years,IF they were that dangerous,then we would be peeling cars of every light post
Its not the car,its the driver
Old 01-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #92
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
Also, Hulk BA you sure do seem to visit a lot of caryards without buying.
I seem to recall reading one of your threads about how you went and thrashed an LS1 powered Holden without having any intention to buy..?
So what's wrong with that? Is it unfair to bulls@@t a used car salesman? Its not like your robbing from the poor. Those used car salesman can't string a sentence together that isn't all bullsh@@t so you think I should give them the courtesy to tell them the truth?

When they see me coming in, they flick the blinds from their office and mutter "there's one born everyday" then I flog the pants off their cars, they think its a sure fire sale the way I'm showing so much interest and then the bubble pops.

Hoodwinking a hookwinker isn't hookwinking, its just giving them a little return of serve
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #93
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
So what's wrong with that? Is it unfair to bulls@@t a used car salesman? Its not like your robbing from the poor. Those used car salesman can't string a sentence together that isn't all bullsh@@t so you think I should give them the courtesy to tell them the truth?

When they see me coming in, they flick the blinds from their office and mutter "there's one born everyday" then I flog the pants off their cars, they think its a sure fire sale the way I'm showing so much interest and then the bubble pops.

Hoodwinking a hookwinker isn't hookwinking, its just giving them a little return of serve
it's not the BS'ing a BS'er that irks me, it's the fact you're thrashing and possibly damaging a car that someone else will literally pay for later.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #94
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
it's not the BS'ing a BS'er that irks me, it's the fact you're thrashing and possibly damaging a car that someone else will literally pay for later.
Yep, and IF you (Hulk_BA) were the one to buy that car and have issues, you would be creating even more threads on here crying for blood.

On a professional note, I am in sales, and no I am not a used car salesman. But Hulk_BA, how would you like it if someone came into your place of work purely to waste your time and p*** you off? Whilst I don't condone the tactics that used car salesmen do, I don't think that you woukld appreciate that being done to you.

Hulk, most of your threads that I read are pointless and just rubbish..... and from your last post here - now I know why.

Unsubscribe !
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #95
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Yep, and IF you (Hulk_BA) were the one to buy that car and have issues, you would be creating even more threads on here crying for blood.

On a professional note, I am in sales, and no I am not a used car salesman. But Hulk_BA, how would you like it if someone came into your place of work purely to waste your time and p*** you off? Whilst I don't condone the tactics that used car salesmen do, I don't think that you woukld appreciate that being done to you.

Hulk, most of your threads that I read are pointless and just rubbish..... and from your last post here - now I know why.

Unsubscribe !
Of course its your decision to unsubscibe to a thread if its not your cup of tea. But I didnt go and personally attack you? Why do you feel the need to direct an attack my way? I welcome you to participate especially since you have a boss260.

You talk about someone coming into your workplace to waste time? So if they dont buy something for your price, its a waste of time? I would say many used cars in yards are a waste of time, sub standard cars for high prices, do I ask for compensation for wasting my time? Sales people gotta roll with the punches, the consumer isnt obligated to fall hook, line and sinker sucker for your offer.

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 01-09-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #96
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
With all due respect, the cars are there to be evaluated prior to a sale. If I was a legitimate buyer, it would get the same treatment. The ls1 in question was hunting in idle all over the place, didnt want to idle properly. Why did that salesperson try and pass off that car to a consumer? He didnt advise me? Nor did he advise me the back power window was not working. Is it me who is hiding all the faults or exposing them?

What about the people who trade in cars that they know there is a fault/leak/etc etc. Id bet 3/4 of the used cars in that yard had some concealed fault. used cars is a very contentious process where the buyer is hiding as much as they can to flog it off and the seller is trying to make a provision for all the things he will have to fix and cant see. Then a price is agreed on the basis of convincing the other the list of faults is minimal.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #97
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
You talk about someone coming into your workplace to waste time? So if they dont buy something for your price, its a waste of time? I would say many used cars in yards are a waste of time, sub standard cars for high prices, do I ask for compensation for wasting my time? Sales people gotta roll with the punches, the consumer isnt obligated to fall hook, line and sinker sucker for your offer.
Yes, we do have to roll with the punches - you win some you lose some. But read what you said below.... price has nothing to do with it. You are intentionally going in and "flog the pants off their cars" and have no intention of buying. So in effect you are intentionally damaging their product that they have for sale. That is a big difference my friend.

Quote:

Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #98
BrisVegas
Noobie

ok.... So anyway, i've been thinking about this good cheap car question lately, as my youngest child starts kindy next year and it's getting too hard to manage with one vehicle. I want to spend as little as possible for something that's reasonably safe and economical. By safe I mean ABS and dual airbags at least. By economical, I mean total cost of ownership, not just fuel usage. If I can get 5 years motoring out of a $5k car, I'd consider myself miles ahead!

My first thought was to look at an AU falcon, as everyone raves about how bulletproof they are and there's stacks under $5k. I trawled the TJ Magnas yesterday after reading this thread and they seem like good buying.

Of the Jap small cars, the safety levels don't seem to be very good on the basic models. They don't seem to come with dual and side airbags etc. til you get to the top spec models. We owned a 95 Corolla 1.6 previously and it pretty much fell apart by 280,000km at which point we sold it to the wreckers. I don't subscribe to the Toyota invicibility theory.

There seem to be some cheaply prices euro cars around at the ~10yo age. Stuff like Merc C180, A class, Peugeot 307s etc. etc. Should I steer clear of the old euro stuff, despite their bristling safety credentials?
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #99
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Yes, we do have to roll with the punches - you win some you lose some. But read what you said below.... price has nothing to do with it. You are intentionally going in and "flog the pants off their cars" and have no intention of buying. So in effect you are intentionally damaging their product that they have for sale. That is a big difference my friend.

How many people even on this forum have ventured into ford to test drive the BOSS 335 and the F6? did they all have intentions to buy then and there? or are they window shoppers? anyone who has test driven a car has done the same damage I have allegedly done to the used cars. What if I concede I had a slight intention to buy a Ls1? Am I repented?

But you would argue that all used car salespeople go to church on sundays and are forgiven for ripping off their customers not disclosing all the faults, bodgy repairs and overcharging them. Have you watched the movie "the big steal" (claudia carvan)....you should.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #100
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
ok.... So anyway, i've been thinking about this good cheap car question lately, as my youngest child starts kindy next year and it's getting too hard to manage with one vehicle. I want to spend as little as possible for something that's reasonably safe and economical. By safe I mean ABS and dual airbags at least. By economical, I mean total cost of ownership, not just fuel usage. If I can get 5 years motoring out of a $5k car, I'd consider myself miles ahead!

My first thought was to look at an AU falcon, as everyone raves about how bulletproof they are and there's stacks under $5k. I trawled the TJ Magnas yesterday after reading this thread and they seem like good buying.

Of the Jap small cars, the safety levels don't seem to be very good on the basic models. They don't seem to come with dual and side airbags etc. til you get to the top spec models. We owned a 95 Corolla 1.6 previously and it pretty much fell apart by 280,000km at which point we sold it to the wreckers. I don't subscribe to the Toyota invicibility theory.

There seem to be some cheaply prices euro cars around at the ~10yo age. Stuff like Merc C180, A class, Peugeot 307s etc. etc. Should I steer clear of the old euro stuff, despite their bristling safety credentials?
This is perfect evidence that this thread is relevant to not only me.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #101
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How many people even on this forum have ventured into ford to test drive the BOSS 335 and the F6? did they all have intentions to buy then and there? or are they window shoppers? anyone who has test driven a car has done the same damage I have allegedly done to the used cars. What if I concede I had a slight intention to buy a Ls1? Am I repented?

But you would argue that all used car salespeople go to church on sundays and are forgiven for ripping off their customers not disclosing all the faults, bodgy repairs and overcharging them. Have you watched the movie "the big steal" (claudia carvan)....you should.
Most of us have better things to do than visit a car yard/ test drive - when you aren't even looking at buying a car. You seem to be some type of self appointed tester - simply wasting everyone's time....
Not meaning to sound nasty or personal - but give all of us a break & try to stop posting up dribble.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #102
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Just look at that marvellous fit and finish, flawlessly joined seams and high quality plastics...not. Ask Coyote to take some pics of his trim and I'll bet it's the same. It's just crap quality. I would seriously consider selling you the old dog but I'd never get back the money I have wasted on it.

Just the other week on a wet day, turning through a roundabout at a very sensible speed the back end of the car decided it wanted to have a play and drifted towards the gutter, fortunately I knew what to do in this situation and corrected the car... I'm the sort of person who's tacho never sees more than 1800rpm...and my car has new tyres. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the live axle.
LOL!

those photos just tell me someone hasn't put things back together properly..
mine certainly doesn't look like that... and is all of a 5min fix to push the rubber moulding back over the plastic trims like it should be.

as for your grip issues.
buy some *better* tyres.

i drive my live axle cars without any issues in the wet, and mines an EF, which has a worse rear end then an EL.
it also has an LSD, which should have more of a tendency to 'slide'

i've had the car since i got my P's, it was my first car, i've never stacked it.
the only time the rear end has stepped out on me if when i've told it to (be it by stupidity or not) or when I misjudged road conditions.

again, not the cars fault, but the driver.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #103
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
LOL!

those photos just tell me someone hasn't put things back together properly..
mine certainly doesn't look like that... and is all of a 5min fix to push the rubber moulding back over the plastic trims like it should be.

as for your grip issues.
buy some *better* tyres.

i drive my live axle cars without any issues in the wet, and mines an EF, which has a worse rear end then an EL.
it also has an LSD, which should have more of a tendency to 'slide'

i've had the car since i got my P's, it was my first car, i've never stacked it.
the only time the rear end has stepped out on me if when i've told it to (be it by stupidity or not) or when I misjudged road conditions.

again, not the cars fault, but the driver.

EFFalcon, this is not at all directed at you:

My EF does, and I don't care. I don't have to justify what I drive (or how it is screwed together) to anyone. My EF also has 230,000 on the clock, and I'd rather take it to Ayers Rock than I would the BF (120,000), because after all this time with my EF, I know what it will and won't do, and I can say it is reliable. I don't have a history with the BF yet, so until I do, the EF gets most of the heavy lifting that the BMW doesn't.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #104
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
that just reads like some teenager who doesnt really know anything but has read lots...

id hate to be stuck behind you if your car never goes over 1800 rpm, or it unexplainably 'drifts' on wet roundabouts while going sensible speeds.
+1

I learned in an XF ute, with over 400000km on her. Never had an issue with the rear end "stepping out" when driving to the conditions. That means if it’s wet, I slow down and take roundabout slower then what I would if it’s dry.
Driving to the conditions is straight forward stuff, but you’d be surprised how many people fail to grasp the concept...

Quote:
ive owned dozens of live axle cars, not just falcons and ive never had one step out for no reason.
yes its done it when the roads oily, or ive been a bit abrupt with the throttle on a wet day.

the falcon live axle is imo no worse than any other rwd car in the wet.
Right on the mark.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #105
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

In Ford's defence, my EA wagon does have about 400 000 on the clock and still has mountains of torque and doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil between changes.
However, it drinks fuel like there's no tomorrow - which is why I'd say a small jap car is perfect.

Then again, it depends on lifestyle. My Camry wagon is perfect for me because I'm a musician, I do lots of driving to and from venues in the city so it has to be fuel efficient, it has to be able to fit my gear in it and it has to be reliable.
It is however as boring as watching paint dry.

If I could choose between this and an AU wagon, 5 speed on gas - you will obviously know what I would choose.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #106
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i am listening but some people are obviously pulling my leg saying high km cars are better than low km cars?

sure service history is important but a thrashed company car well serviced still wont be better than an old man who rarely drives it and rarely services it. (dont you know what happens to company cars? Thrashed)

i was at carcity recently looking at a car which looked ok, i asked the salesman how many km after he was boasting about the car how mint it is, only 244000km he mutters under his breath. only 244000 ???

i could hear a balloon burst in his heart as he said it
I did not say buy a Rep car. I was using it as a example that your theory to buy a OLDER low K vehicle is not always the best investment for someone obviously tight on funds for repairs. A later model with average or higher Ks is worth considerig, especially since most first cars are short term purchases anyway.
I could give a heap more examples for and against through my own experience but it's a waste of time, you only want to listen to someone that agrees with your own opinions.
I still say it's a lottery,I can only hope that the poor fella doesn't buy on your advice alone.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #107
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:

100% back you here Hulk.
Test driven with no intention to by,
Maloo
BA/BF XR8s/XR6Ts
F6s
335 GTs
WRX
EVO
SS's
Clubbies
200sx
Skylines etc etc etc.

I could go on all day long! This being said at the age of 25 Ive driven more cars then some people of here can even pronounce. I find going to such car yards give me a good chance to identify the next car I may want by seeing how it handles, performs, brakes etc.
I have no regreats and am happy to do it the next time I want to investigate a car.
Those that have trouble excepting this happens need a reality check quick smart!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #108
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would suggest a TT soarer normally, but for obvious reasons that may not be applicable.... My thoughts well, a nice 2000 ish VRX/Sports Manga would be a great car as long as you don't change the spark plugs yourself of course...

Commenting on the other posts... A live rear axle isn't that bad as long as you have some sort of steering feel. Any rear end can step out at any time no matter the car I've had it happen in all the cars I've owned in the wet.

Hell my soarer went from the inside lane of the roundabout to the outside at 30ks which I presume was oil on the road because I've taken it 100s of times which I am definately not exaggerating because I've driven from the ACT to Newcastle that many times over the last decade....

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 AM   #109
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
100% back you here Hulk.
Test driven with no intention to by,
Maloo
BA/BF XR8s/XR6Ts
F6s
335 GTs
WRX
EVO
SS's
Clubbies
200sx
Skylines etc etc etc.

I could go on all day long! This being said at the age of 25 Ive driven more cars then some people of here can even pronounce. I find going to such car yards give me a good chance to identify the next car I may want by seeing how it handles, performs, brakes etc.
I have no regreats and am happy to do it the next time I want to investigate a car.
Those that have trouble excepting this happens need a reality check quick smart!
Your right. i test drive often to keep my opinions relevant and also scope out my next car. but when i decide to buy, i buy real quick. some people have an intention to buy but take one year of test driving to decide. are they more welcome than us?

Cars are there to be evaluated, so evaluate them.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #110
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

i know this will start a argument, but here goes 5 years ago i bought a brand new kia rio for my daughter when she turned 18. i know its over 6000 but at the time thats what i did she had it for 2 years and it was perfect then my next daughter turned 18 and we gave it to her in the last 3 years she has driven to perth and back twice and canberra and back at least 6 times. it still drives well and it has never missed a beat in 5 years the best 15000 i have ever spent and next year when my next daughter turns 18 i will look at something similer just another opinion cheers gary
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #111
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU III Ghia, on dual fuel. Only thing it doesn't counter for are people who can't steer a big car who shouldn't have a license anyway.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #112
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

This thread is heading the way of Coles prices, Down down down lol!! Seriously though, it all depends on the person and what they need in a vehicle, they might prefer a 4wd, or a ricer, there's no real way of answering this thread, just most of us giving grown up opinions lol
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #113
bullko

I know a great car! A $50 XY Fairmont project car! lol
1974 XB Fairmont
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #114
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Most of us have better things to do than visit a car yard/ test drive - when you aren't even looking at buying a car.

Yeah im one for not waisting time on this past time called
"Tyre kicking"

Why honestly waist ANYBODIES time bothering them on false assumptions of a sale ???
I never understand why people do this

Its only when your in business yourself that you realise the world is full of
"Tyre Kickers"
They do get rather annoying
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #115
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
This being said at the age of 25 Ive driven more cars then some people of here can even pronounce.
i stopped taking your post seriously after that sentence
Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #116
Struggo

Back on track, I would be looking for TJ or TL Magna.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #117
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
i stopped taking your post seriously after that sentence

Good thing then you reading it means less then sweet F.A to me.....
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #118
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Im sorry, but people that go and test drive cars for the hell of it annoy me. Makes it hard for people that ACTUALLY WANT TO MAKE A PURCHASE.
I went looking for an XR5 and at 3 yards i wasnt allowed to drive one.

This thread has gone the way of the dodo.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Closed Thread