Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #91
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbunty
There is a pattern here. If a car company (well, they guy who runs the show) wants to dump a car, all they have to do is slowly reduce the availability or desirability of that vehicle until it becomes oh so simple to say "Well, it's hardly had any sales. Let's ditch it."
That's a two way street.
Only 750 XR8 sedans were sold last year, so is that Ford trying to get rid of it?

I don't think so but it could be that XR6T now towers over the XR8 in popularity.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #92
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbunty
We could thank people like Tom Gorman for amazing decisions like these. Uncle Geoff Polites would be appalled.
In fairness to Tom Gorman, he could only work with what he was given; the BA Fairlane "redesign" was approved and released before he took the helm, same deal with the decision to start decontenting the wagon.

But yes, I agree, Ford are masters of self-fulfilling prophecies.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #93
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
I understand why you started the thread, no problems there, it just seems like people are reading too much into it.
If you are really in the market for a Aussie V8 sedan, would someone really go "Well I can;t find the XR8 on Fords website so I guess I'll go straight to the Holden Dealership tomorrow and order an SS"

There are probably a million reasons why its not on the website, I just dont see why the first reason that comes to mind should be that Ford are dropping the V8 behind everyones back and hoping that no one notices.

Anyone concerned enough to Email Ford?
I guess we'll just have to wait and see won't we.

Let's just hope for the sake of those that are hoping for continued opportunity into the entry level performance V8 market, that Ford grace us with some definitive information.

I've been working on getting solid info for the last year almost... and I consider myself to have pretty good access.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #94
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I guess we'll just have to wait and see won't we.

Let's just hope for the sake of those that are hoping for continued opportunity into the entry level performance V8 market, that Ford grace us with some definitive information.

I've been working on getting solid info for the last year almost... and I consider myself to have pretty good access.
What you don't know at the momment mate is not worth knowing. we appreciate your input all the time.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #95
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Thanks for the update JPFS1,
I only hope that people support Ford performance by continuing
to buy the XR6T and G6ET in the absence of a good V8.....
Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #96
351EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
where would FF be without alarmists and Ford bashers..
The worst bit is if we flame them or tell them what we really think of their opinion where the ones in the wrong.
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #97
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351EL
The worst bit is if we flame them or tell them what we really think of their opinion where the ones in the wrong.

There is a right way to express opinion and a wrong way. The forum serves the medium for that expression. However the internet is also a useful "tool" in which people feel the need to be right 100% of the time and that is pretty rare.

Expressing disappointment with this situation might be construed as being an alarmist or centred in negativity but by the same token when Ford is actively promoting Ecoboost for 2011 right now, there is a rightful question to be asked. There are parallels that can be drawn between the two situations.

There are always two sides and as a community we are meant to recognise and respect the ability to express without writing it off to the lowest common denominator which, you guessed it, also gets an equal serving on forums. Resist the temptation to make those easy flippant comments and you won’t get into any trouble. Have a say and explain yourself on the topic and not the authors of counter points, and life will be good.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #98
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2

It’s an interesting choice of words. If you were going to pull that model completely and compressively you would not word a press statement like that. But then again this is Ford we are talking about.
True, if it was gone for good, there would be something about it from ford.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #99
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Patience is a vertue.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #100
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That's a two way street.
Only 750 XR8 sedans were sold last year, so is that Ford trying to get rid of it?

I don't think so but it could be that XR6T now towers over the XR8 in popularity.
How many utes and how many GT's?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #101
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The speculation and negativity could have been avoided if Ford simply left the XR8 nameplate on their website with a TBA beside it. THis would peeked everyones curiosity and buyers would have maybe held off until the release.

Remaining tight lipped is doing them harm. (Most people remember back to XE).
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #102
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
How many utes and how many GT's?
Courtesy of Russel's Technical resources,
2009 results for Ford and FPV are as follows:

Sedans:
XR6T 1423
XR8 734
G6ET 1323
GT 543
GT-P 102
GS 156
F6 446

Utes;
XR6T 869
XR8 843
Pursuit 23
Super Pursuit 183
GS 58
F6 153
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #103
jixel 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Fully agree. HSE has made some very good points. I do agree with the OP that the removal of the product from the website, while not unusual given the model is not currently in build (if some left around the place), is a bit more worrying because they have provided no such advice as to its possible replacement (ford badged or otherwise).

With people going to the internet for info these days it might lose you some sales if the model just 'disapears' and then not a peep of info is given for a possible replacement. Ford may be able to retain some interest in the model by letting everyone know a new XR8 is on the way, even if no details are provided. With ford's history on this issue people are understandably nervous....

BUT, i think the pivotal issue is the market for the car. Yes the XR6T has taken sales from the XR8, but the six has been doing that for years before the XR8 came out (in theory at least, since unlike holden the ford 6s are very good). It is the perception that the current XR8 (or even going back to E series days) is slower and 'inferior' to the XR6T AND the SS (both of which are debatable, esp the latter) that has killed it. By deleting the model and then waiting to make an announcement about the 'iconic' XR8 brand (FPV relations also) some time later it effectivley 'reboots' the car. Also, being an 'enthusiast' vehicle (which it certainly is, no one buys a slower car than the XR6T unless they hunger after that V8) the XR8 owners have always been first to seek out info. Whether rumour or not most people i've spoken to, including non-forum members, who like cars have heard about the SC coyote 5.0 and its 'holden crushing' ability. So have the holden faithful too.

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Whatever badge it wears i think Ford Aus, espeically with marin at the helm, know the importance of an 'entry level' V8 falcon. With the brilliance of the coyote package (and so much local fpv involvement) it would be stupid to not provide some sort of XR8 vehicle. How its packaged i don't know....and maybe neither do Ford. When Ford and FPV come to an arangment going forward they will announce, almost certainly some time in the next few months so the cars can be established before next years ecoboost falcon and diesel territory launches.....

Absolutely. Just dont call it XR8. Use GS, and anyone `enthusiastically` buying a Ford V8 will know what it is supposed to be. A V8 Falcon for those not wanting into a FPV. Not the big brother that doesnt match its 6 cylinder sibling.(XR8). `XR` should be left to the car that made a household name. XR6. It bloody deserves it! Use GS for the V8 version of the G series, a proper big boy model for the FG bodyshell, and the GT etc can be the domain of FPV. GS as a FPV can only hurt the future value of the most important moniker, GT. And isnt the GT the important car in its stable? XR8 hasnt really done as well as SS or XR6. I dont believe its a `historic` label. Just ditch it.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #104
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmmmmm. In the utes, more V8's were sold than turbo 6's.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #105
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Understandable.. same situation across the FPV range in general too....

Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #106
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Understandable.. same situation across the FPV range in general too....
Admit it Norm, that makes you happy doesn't it
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #107
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixel 78
Nobody has an influence, I can think for myself, I know the Fords are a better car, I drive them every day. The Commodore is a bloody good looker. Thats what sells them, Ford knows that, and my point is the XR8 has always been a slow seller. People dont give a rats about control blade suspension or quad cams. They want a looker and the Commodore has been well marketed to that demographic. So has the XR6, so that will be much more important to Ford, more so than the XR8.
You think the SS is a good-looker, that's fine. As long as you know that is only subjective.

I agree that the XR6(T) has a high status, most likely higher than XR8's, but you do realise that Ford have two performance cars in that pricing bracket instead of Holden's one. It appears the Ford buyers have preferred the quicker six (in sedan form anyway), whereas Holden buyers have only one choice.

Importantly, though, the fact that the XR6(T) has been a great performer should make you think Holden has failed in the six cylinder market, not Ford failing with the XR8.

If you look at the ute range (see above post for sales stats) you will see the XR8 is as popular as the XR6t. I guess that throws the slow-selling-XR8 theory out the window.

Quote:
Absolutely. Just dont call it XR8. Use GS, and anyone `enthusiastically` buying a Ford V8 will know what it is supposed to be. A V8 Falcon for those not wanting into a FPV. Not the big brother that doesnt match its 6 cylinder sibling.(XR8). `XR` should be left to the car that made a household name. XR6. It bloody deserves it! Use GS for the V8 version of the G series, a proper big boy model for the FG bodyshell, and the GT etc can be the domain of FPV. GS as a FPV can only hurt the future value of the most important moniker, GT. And isnt the GT the important car in its stable? XR8 hasnt really done as well as SS or XR6. I dont believe its a `historic` label. Just ditch it.
And, as I recommended earlier, you should do a little research on a few of the facts, especially before making statements that aren't true.

Historically, the GS was also a 6 cyl, so you can't say an "enthusiast" will know what it's supposed to be - especially if they knew what the original GS stood for. Also, you can't have the GS move overnight from being an FPV badged product to a Ford badged product, as you suggested with the GS. They have done this already with the XR8, and if they repeat this again it will only show that Ford/FPV can't make up their minds.
It proved they new what they were doing when they ditched the Fairmont name, though.

They should do the opposite to what you're suggesting; change nothing, except for the package itself. Provide a distinguishable performance gap between the XR6t and XR8.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #108
jixel 78

Maybe. If they do nothing the XR8 will continue as it always has, (at least since BA, the AU had an appreciable performance gap, all its predecessors were as today) needing too much expensive massaging from the aftermarket to be competitive with the two top shelf aussie sports sedans, XR6(T) and SS. I may not be as informed as the ultimate blue blooded Ford nut, but that gives me a rationable objectionable perspective. Bluntly, the XRLATE is pretty much the elephant in the corner.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #109
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
The dealer even told me they haven't built an XR8 in 2 months.
They haven't.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #110
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
By a whole 85 units but in the sedans the turbo models were pretty much 2 to 1.

You have to remember Ford brought in the Turbo to counter import sales to get some sales as they saw this as an easy target, IMO they acheived that and then some across the sedans and utes, for Ford the Turbo was a resounding success. The younger generation would be the ones buying the turbos and they are the new gen of Ford enthusiasts, the price to pay was slow sales of the XR8 which is a shame but the XR8 will still be around but probably as an FPv not a Ford.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #111
swanee
spoolin!

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail to Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited (FordAustralia).

We can confirm that the Falcon XR8 is not included in our current product range.Ford Australia has no announcements to make at this stage regarding futureproduction of the Falcon XR8.

We suggest that you keep reviewing the Ford Australia website for any further updates, as when new information is released it will be posted on this site.

Kind regards,

Jessica Houghton
Customer Service Representative
Ford Customer Relationship Centre
Ford Motor Company of Australia Ltd
Telephone: 13 36 73 (13 FORD) (Local Call)
Fax: +61 3 8627 6130
Email: customers@fordcrc.com.au
This is the email I received this morning from Ford CRC

Previous Rides - 2014 Black Mica PX XLT Ranger Dual Cab 3.2 Diesel

2011 FPV GS 315 Sedan. Sunburst, manual, fully optioned. Build #165.

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird Project (A tribute to my late mother) - 1955 Thunderbird Build Thread
swanee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #112
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe. If they do nothing the XR8 will continue as it always has, (at least since BA, the AU had an appreciable performance gap, all its predecessors were as today) needing too much expensive massaging from the aftermarket to be competitive with the two top shelf aussie sports sedans, XR6(T) and SS. I may not be as informed as the ultimate blue blooded Ford nut, but that gives me a rationable objectionable perspective. Bluntly, the XRLATE is pretty much the elephant in the corner.
There is Reality, and the perception of that reality, which are not always the same. It seems you don't bother to allow the reality to get in the way of yet another Ignorant and illfounded Assumption. If you think the SS is quicker than an XR8 you are in serious error. What is the power to weight ratio of both cars ? The current VE SS cant even touch my stock BA XR8 (260Kw) - from numerous real experiences, and the FG, although heavier than the BA is 290KW against a 260/270 kw (on 98 octane) SS.

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 12-07-2010 at 09:36 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #113
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanee
This is the email I received this morning from Ford CRC

hahaha, I got the EXACT same email, if everyone here emails Ford they may reintroduce the XR8 quicker under demand.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #114
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
hahaha, I got the EXACT same email, if everyone here emails Ford they may reintroduce the XR8 quicker under demand.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #115
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle
There is Reality, and the perception of that reality, which are not always the same. It seems you don't bother to allow the reality to get in the way of yet another Ignorant and illfounded Assumption. If you think the SS is quicker than an XR8 you are in serious error. What is the power to weight ratio of both cars ? The current VE SS cant even touch my stock BA XR8 (260Kw) - from numerous real experiences, and the FG, although heavier than the BA is 290KW against a 260/270 kw (on 98 octane) SS.
I think thats a rather arrogant way to come across Steve, in my real world experiences it is the opposite, as I have a group of mates that all own LS series cars, and come to think of it my slightly massaged AU XR8 used to hold its own against the BA's itself.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #116
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There's always the possibility that Ford are waiting till the release of the VE2 for them to introduce the new V8's, as a way of stealing some of its thunder.

Holden have done it more than a few times, maybe Ford want to get one back. Would be a good way of stealing some attention away.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #117
jixel 78

`Illusion` might be the new invisible XR8 colour soon.
Old 13-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #118
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Interesting and who would know for sure. The following is not gospel just some of what I get told occasionally ........ I received a phone call in January 2009 telling me that the XR8 (as we know it) would be going and the only V8s would be FPV vehicles. I was told that V8s would only come out of FPV and no longer from the main plant and that included utes.

I did relay this to a few people (Theo at Bluepower will remember this) and there were those who laughed at this pearler but so did the thread here on the AFF when I also told them that Ingall was going to Holden 9 months before it hit the Press. Same source also told me Lowndes was going to Holden 18 months in advance.

Time will tell - well that is stating the obvious! No need to burn me at the stake as this is merely a sharing of what could prove to be completely untrue and Ford are always changing their minds, anyway, I reckon the car will be badged an entry FPV vehicle and priced much higher than it currently is. I did think that the GS release was a toe in the water.........

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #119
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Same source also told me Lowndes was going to Holden 18 months in advance.
O please!! If you think Lowndes signed a contract 18 months in advanced your DREAMING!!!

That a side.....

How hard is it for Ford to give us some info... JUST SOME!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #120
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
O please!! If you think Lowndes signed a contract 18 months in advanced your DREAMING!!!
Where did I say he had signed a contract? The word was the decision had been made - read into that what you will.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post