Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #91
sxckevo
Ford motor company

i drive an auto now (so wish i didnt though) they always seem to break and cars just don't sound anywhere near as good in autos. the sound of a big lumpy V8 flying past me popping second is just pure sex to my ears :

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #92
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
1. If you can't hill start a manual without rolling back, you should not have a licence.

2. Person behind is technically at fault for not leaving enough room. Even though I don't agree with this.

3. If you can't drive a manual smooth, you can't drive a manual properly.
Agreed, I remember in my test years ago I had to do a hill start (manual) on a steep hill. If I rolled back I would have failed. That was before the stupid points system which effectively allowed errors but still pass the licence test, which basically gave licences away in Cornflake packets.

But back to point 2, what if the driver in front accidentally puts his auto transmission in reverse at the lights and zooms off backwards, surely he is at fault? Just doesn't make sense that a driver who hasnt got full control of his/her car by not being able to do a hill start, is not at fault if they roll back some reasonable distance.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #93
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

My girlfriend's son is on his L's and we started him off learning in a manual
(L series Subie wagon). Apart from general driving, some of the initial exercises
included things like:

- Driving at speed, say 80 then hard as possible brake to a stop (repeated many times)
- Again at speed, say 80 and swerving the car in a long S shape
- Slower speeds and swerving harder
- Clutch starting on the flat with no accelerator at all
- Gravel road driving
Basically, we have tried to teach him how the car behaves and feels under duress.

I think we have made a good start with him, but he has a LONG LONG way to
go yet !!! He is quite impatient and seems to want to know everything
without the learning part..... We'll keep on the case !!
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #94
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO unless you have some sort of disability that stops you driving a manual there is really no excuse not to learn how to drive one.

Before I got my Ls I learnt how to drive manuals at my grandparents' farm. From old Dattos, XYs, HQs, Subarus etc. Every bushbasher I drove was a manual.

When it came time to gt my Ls I was a bit scared at first. I still remmeber the first time I got my Ls actually. I drove my Cortina from my grandparents' back home, and it was pitch black. I drove down the road, and because the gear box was hard to change I looked down at the gears, and almost ran into a fence. lol

With practice I got myself out of the habit of looking down while changing gears. I still done it when I first got the VL, but then I got out of it. I must admit the first few months driving a manual was a bit daunting. Now it's just second nature to me.

It's understandable at first not everyone enjoys driving a manual, but when you get the hang of it you realise just how handy it is to have that skill.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #95
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The real question everyone is not about driving a manual car, but knowing how to drive full stop!

Most people out there are in laa laa land when they drive and wouldnt know what to do in a dangerous situtation in their car.

The young lad in his territory (?) is a bit of joke as the story doesnt seem plausible and Ford reported that they could not find fault with the car.

Turn the key off and jam on the brakes and light hand brake....
If your worried you cant stop, whats more intelligent?
Rolling ya car or keep driving at 80kmh and hope you dont kill pedestrians or other motorists?

Defensive driving courses should be mandatory as well as basic automotive knowledge about ABS, Cruise control, etc etc....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #96
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant believe what I am reading surely it is better to avoid an accident than to park up someones' anus let them roll back into them then run around like a jerk because its not your fault? sorry but some of the comments here are a joke surely it is preferable to AVOID accidents over doing something that may cause someone else to hit you? I sure as heck don't want to make it any easier than it already is for someone to hit my car.

ALSO I was under the interpretation that a small "rollback" is acceptable get an auto on a steep enough hill and it will creep backward when you take your hoof off the brake to mush the go pedal. I thoroughly enjoy driving manual cars why the heck else would I keep buying them? I don't force anybody else to drive a manual because I enjoy it.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #97
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time's have changed no auto in our house to learn on only old bomb's.. 'three on the tree'..... Non synchro 1st... Clanga.. Clanga.. Pop.. In she goes.. :evil3:
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #98
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
YES. If you cant drive manual, you cant drive.
That's what I say.
If you have a full licence or unrestricted licence, then should be able to drive manual, tank Fairlanes, 3 tonne trucks, etc.

Only people who should be allowed to get an auto licence, are those with a medical condition!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #99
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I cant believe what I am reading surely it is better to avoid an accident than to park up someones' anus let them roll back into them then run around like a jerk because its not your fault? sorry but some of the comments here are a joke surely it is preferable to AVOID accidents over doing something that may cause someone else to hit you? I sure as heck don't want to make it any easier than it already is for someone to hit my car.

ALSO I was under the interpretation that a small "rollback" is acceptable get an auto on a steep enough hill and it will creep backward when you take your hoof off the brake to mush the go pedal. I thoroughly enjoy driving manual cars why the heck else would I keep buying them? I don't force anybody else to drive a manual because I enjoy it.
Sorry, but IMO any rollback is not acceptable. As mentioned, that was certainly the case when I went for my licence years ago.

The thing is, how much of a gap do you need behind you? How can I predict how far back I need to be so no one will roll into me? I have to add that I never stop right behind the vehicle in front, but I do not expect them to move backwards when they take off again as it worries me how far they will go (1 metre? 2 metres?), and that it shows they are not driving the vehicle properly and/or are lazy not to use the handbrake.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #100
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Sorry, but IMO any rollback is not acceptable. As mentioned, that was certainly the case when I went for my licence years ago.
it was the case when i was going for my licence, but back then you did a handbrake start from memory (i got my licence in an auto, so do not know for sure)

more often than not, without the handbrake i will get our 121 and the coupe (try doing a handbrake start in that) moving without rolling back at all. if there is some, it is normally so small the person behind is probably not aware of it anyway

my personal belief is, that they should concentrate on teaching many more important things, than how to use a clutch. i do not disagree totally with the idea of compulsory manual licences, but there are many manual drivers that should not be anywhere near a public road - and many auto drivers that are quite competant, even though they have only driven autos
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #101
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
That's what I say.
If you have a full licence or unrestricted licence, then should be able to drive manual, tank Fairlanes, 3 tonne trucks, etc.

Only people who should be allowed to get an auto licence, are those with a medical condition!
Here here
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #102
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I always allow a reasonable distance for the car in front (by reasonable, I usually go by half to full car length), regardless of whether I think theyre driving a manual or not. It's just simple logic that can avoid a lot of unnecessary headaches. Because like it or not, we are not all perfect, and something as trivial as a little rollback can be compensated for easily. Besides, sitting up someones behind is not really necessary anyway.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #103
lubby1

I agree with some of the earlier comments that manuals will become a thing of the past in the not too distant future.

But once you know how to drive a manual and have a sports car you cant beat the feeling of driving in to a bend or corner and then driving out of it with the change of the gears, getting the best out of the motor ect ect.
Sure you can do these things with a semi auto but its just not the same imo.
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #104
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
honestly i think the manual gearbox's days are numbered. Most people have autos nowadays and eventually manual will be an enthusiast's device only. it's mandatory to learn stick if you are into old muscle cars.
In Australia maybe, not in Europe.

Every car I rent in the UK is a manual. 90% of rental cars there are manuals.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #105
buickman
buickman

Who would by a manual car nowadays with the modern automatics? Unless you want a cheap **** budget car to get from point A -B.

As for getting a manual licence if a person wants to be mobile and has no real interest in cars what’s wrong with an auto licence as most cars sold today are autos.

My 1st car had vacuum wipers and no syncro in 1st with drum brakes all round only because that was the norm for 18 year olds in the 70's as most cars from the 60's had manual gear boxes that broke syncros fairly easy

Times have changed
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #106
My32Doors

Wouldn't have an auto regardless of how good they are.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #107
bafel

My car is a manual and i find having to do the gear changes myself increases my focus on actually driving.

I would imagine it's easier to text, apply make-up ect in auto than a manual.
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #108
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

yep, that's what i've noticed recently with my new wheels. I'm very focused on driving now that i'm changing gears myself. It's the ultimate in having 'total' control of the car.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #109
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
honestly i think the manual gearbox's days are numbered. Most people have autos nowadays and eventually manual will be an enthusiast's device only. it's mandatory to learn stick if you are into old muscle cars.
That is only in Australia mate. In Europe you can see 1 auto car in probably 5000 cars. Very hard to see auto. It's been said before but I say it again. if you can't drive manual, you can't drive.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #110
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I always allow a reasonable distance for the car in front (by reasonable, I usually go by half to full car length), regardless of whether I think theyre driving a manual or not. It's just simple logic that can avoid a lot of unnecessary headaches. Because like it or not, we are not all perfect, and something as trivial as a little rollback can be compensated for easily. Besides, sitting up someones behind is not really necessary anyway.
I assume you are referring to when stationary at lights not cruising!

At the lights the best rule is to stop so you can see where the rear tyres of the car in front meet the road (this rule doesn't apply when you are in a van)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #111
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan
It's been said before but I say it again. if you can't drive manual, you can't drive.
What about the guy who has never owned a manual in 40-50 years of driving, and never been in any sort of driving altercation? can't he drive? well if not he's fluked it bloody well. Driving manual in no possible way makes you a better driver.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #112
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Driving manual in no possible way makes you a better driver.
Um, well actually, ... it does. "Why" you ask. "Because", I say "the driver has better control of the vehicle (if he's adept) and the vehicle is therefore better able to respond to driver input in any given situation."

It is true that a bad driver will not be turned into a good driver simply by putting him in a manual. But the basic skill of driving a manual car should be learned by everyone to help them better understand the dynamics of a vehicle. Only then should they be allowed to drive autos. It is very true that the more tasks that are made "auto" in our lives, then the less concentration we give to those tasks.

And finally ... measuring a person's driving "record" as per number of years or number of accidents means zilch. There ARE some lucky buggers out there who can't back a car into a parking space yet they have never had an accident in 40 years of driving. BIG DEAL.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #113
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is only in Australia mate. In Europe you can see 1 auto car in probably 5000 cars. Very hard to see auto. It's been said before but I say it again. if you can't drive manual, you can't drive.
That may be the case in Europe, but I would say the majority of members would do the bulk of their driving in Australia. I would then have to agree that the majority of regular A to B cars on the road, excluding mining & agricultural vehicles would be an auto derivative.

Driving a manual or an auto is a decision of the purchaser of a vehicle. I tend to believe that the views of a dedicated Public forum dominated by drivers of performance vehicles, would tend to be a bit biased towards a manual variant - for obvious reasons.

Manual - does it make a better driver, I don't think so.

For my 2c worth, driving a manual wouldn't make a huge difference - better drivertraining and experience in my book tends to make a better driver.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #114
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr

For my 2c worth, driving a manual wouldn't make a huge difference - better drivertraining and experience in my book tends to make a better driver.
+1

Most people these days struggle with flights of stairs let alone drive something that requires an IQ above legally dead.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #115
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only thing auto is good for is driving while talking on the phone and eating/drinking....

I joke
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #116
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
if you can't drive manual, you can't drive.
Thankyou so much for pointing out my complete inability to operate my car. I can now hand my license over knowing i'am making the roads safer. :

What a crock, the transmission in your car has no bearing on your ability to drive. Its all down to attitudes and training.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #117
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The only thing auto is good for is driving while talking on the phone and eating/drinking....

I joke
You can do that in a manual as well :

And do it without power steering on very low speed corners.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #118
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
And Europe is quickly moving to DSG transmissions with centrifigal clutches.
Give it 5- 10 years and manuals will only be available on genuine Trucks and heavy Duty off road 4WDs
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #119
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by super roo
,you do not drive an automatic, you" Aim it " where you want to go.
I thought that's how you drive a Ferrari
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #120
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even though I'm a manual driver myself, I hate the "if you can't drive manual, you can't drive at all" comments, what a stupid thing to say.

Guess that just proves your level of intellegence!

Also why would you bother forcing people who have no interest in learning manual to do so?

As has been said, just be happy that they can concentrate on what is going around them without throwing another hurdle in the way