Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #91
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

According to this.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575D600156A5F
Old 21-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #92
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That article says the I6 will stay until euro 5 but does not say that ford will try to make the I6 euro 5 compliant. I dare say that is what product development is working on at this moment, making the I6 euro 5 compliant at minimal cost.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #93
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

It says they'll make a decision on what they will use. So until Ford makes the announcement people can speculate all they want.
Old 22-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #94
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

oh hai

(no credit taken, express or implied)
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
So the decision at the end of July is whether Ford go ahead with making the I6 euro 5 compliant?
They have to make the decision on what engine they want to power the Falcon and Territory for roughly 2014/5. It will most likely come down to the I6 or V6, and maybe the option of a turbo 4 to go with it.

I'm sure they will have done studies to see wether the I6 can be made Euro 5 compliant, and how much it will cost. I'd say it will need an alloy or CGI block and direct injection at a minimum, and that would require close to a blank page redesign, which would cost an absolute bomb.

I'd put money on it that the V6 will replace it, the cost of making the I6 Euro 5 compliant would be obscene for such low volumes.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #96
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'd put money on it that the V6 will replace it, the cost of making the I6 Euro 5 compliant would be obscene for such low volumes.
Pretty much, unless they can make the engine in much higher volumes (uning it in O/S Fords or another company buy it) it wont last past euro 4.
Old 22-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #97
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Agreed, especially considering how close we came for the 2010 Falcon. With a few more years to plan and design, it's easy to see how it will pan out.

Unless another application is found for the I6 in an automobile to justify the costs to make it E5 compliant...
Old 23-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #98
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Guys - Euro 5 shouldn't be too difficult for petrol based passenger cars. It will likely come purely from fuel quality improvements by the time they decide to bring it in. The EU have agreed to extend the date for E5 to 2011 (all new cars), although being introduced in 'just released cars' later this year.

Euro 3 to Euro 4 was the massive change. From euro3 to euro4, HC's had to be reduced by 50%, CO by 57% and NOx by 47%.

Euro 5 will see NOx reduce by a further 12.5%. All other values remain the same.... although there is a kicker, D.I petrol engines will attract a Particulate Matter requirement, 5mg/km. First time for this on a petrol engine, but that's because of the nature of DI engines, they are essentially operating 'like' diesels and certain emissions are affected differently from the port injected type.

Euro 5 & 6 are basically designed to get Diesel emissions down. Particulate matter and NOx. DI Petrol will get caught up in this though, but shouldn't be as hard to clean.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #99
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Guys - Euro 5 shouldn't be too difficult for petrol based passenger cars. It will likely come purely from fuel quality improvements by the time they decide to bring it in. The EU have agreed to extend the date for E5 to 2011 (all new cars), although being introduced in 'just released cars' later this year.

Euro 3 to Euro 4 was the massive change. From euro3 to euro4, HC's had to be reduced by 50%, CO by 57% and NOx by 47%.

Euro 5 will see NOx reduce by a further 12.5%. All other values remain the same.... although there is a kicker, D.I petrol engines will attract a Particulate Matter requirement, 5mg/km. First time for this on a petrol engine, but that's because of the nature of DI engines, they are essentially operating 'like' diesels and certain emissions are affected differently from the port injected type.

Euro 5 & 6 are basically designed to get Diesel emissions down. Particulate matter and NOx. DI Petrol will get caught up in this though, but shouldn't be as hard to clean.
You'll be getting more rep points coming your way courtesy of this thorough post. Thanks for explaining it so well.
Old 23-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #100
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
You'll be getting more rep points coming your way courtesy of this thorough post. Thanks for explaining it so well.
haha, thank you Falc.

...and, no worries.

I had looked at the numbers a while ago and have done the analysis saved in a spreadsheet. Easy to recite. ;)
Old 23-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #101
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:

This being the case it gives the I6 a fighting chance for Euro 5 (4 would be getting durability tested by now). I seriously don't see why this engine isn't used o/s. Torque a plenty, has a great performance record n/a and T and coupled with a good transmission delivers good fuel economy. Even a reduced capacity DI would do well.

As for Diesel I thought Tier 4 was the big one bring the NOx and particulate levels down close to the zero mark?
Old 23-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #102
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
This being the case it gives the I6 a fighting chance for Euro 5 (4 would be getting durability tested by now). I seriously don't see why this engine isn't used o/s. Torque a plenty, has a great performance record n/a and T and coupled with a good transmission delivers good fuel economy. Even a reduced capacity DI would do well.

As for Diesel I thought Tier 4 was the big one bring the NOx and particulate levels down close to the zero mark?
Actually I have checked some data and there are some discrepancies between figures for Euro5. Some suggest .07g/km and another .06g/km. This being the case, the reduction from Euro4 to 5 for NOx, could be as high as 25% reduction.

The Diesel requirements have been significant at all Tiers for NOx and PM.

For Diesel passenger (in g/km)

Tier Date CO HC HC+NOx NOx PM

Euro 3 2000.01 0.64 - 0.56 0.50 0.05
Euro 4 2005.01 0.50 - 0.30 0.25 0.025
Euro 5 2009.09b 0.50 - 0.23 0.18 0.005e
Euro 6 2014.09 0.50 - 0.17 0.08 0.005e

Let's not forget that these are the EU standards and have not been accepted as the standards that Australia will adopt.
Old 23-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #103
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

Yes, the I6 just needs a business case now. I still maintain that Ford are going the wrong way about their performance 'trucks' in the States. Throw a low volume I6T F150 through the mix and see what happens. I'd guess that, as the I6T has more Power/Torque than the 4.6 V8, Ford might be surprised as to how well this car would sell.

Kuzak and Mulally know all about the I6, and how it drives. It can be used in LHD applications, and Geelong has capacity to burn.

Maybe something is cooking behind the scenes.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #104
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Yes, the I6 just needs a business case now. I still maintain that Ford are going the wrong way about their performance 'trucks' in the States. Throw a low volume I6T F150 through the mix and see what happens. I'd guess that, as the I6T has more Power/Torque than the 4.6 V8, Ford might be surprised as to how well this car would sell.

Kuzak and Mulally know all about the I6, and how it drives. It can be used in LHD applications, and Geelong has capacity to burn.

I'm starting to get the same impression Andrew. Marin talked about kuzak's involvement in a recent press article. Seemes strange to have him so heavilly involved if the I6 was to remain an 'orphan' engine. It has the capability to really go to anothe level again the I6. With so much achieved, its competitive nature as it is, without Di, alloy block or some of the other new tech (much of it ford developed) out there yet applied.

The question for me becomes....what of the duratec engine? It is very early in its development life, it would seem it could act as a replacement for the I6 as has been assumed. Maybe Ford Aus want's to overhaul the I6 (yet again) and make it a premium/perf engine. In effect sit above the 3.5V6. I was reading a review of the 3.5V6 TT and due to the heavy nature of the cars the journos wanted more power still. We assume a DI TT 3.5 would come along but maybe its cheaper/easier for Ford to just take the I6 and make that the high torque engine. Using it isn F150s would also be possible, rather than 3.5TT too. All comes down to cost i suppose, and that is what all the fretting/analysis is over right now. Long term predictions on currency, market needs etc. etc.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #105
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes for intersting reading!

What baffles me is that they havnt even concidered electric hybrids or even dedicated electric. i know thats far off but seriously R&D is the most expensive thing for a company like ford it seems their wringing a damp cloth for a bucket of water with the inevitably doomed combustion engine... I dont know how the platform of the falcon nor the acceptance from the public would go but it would be the best time to start doing it given holden plan to have hybrid in by 2012.

Electric motors have me interested too filling up at home (yes i know the power staion emissions are about equal to combustion motors but why not handball the emission problems to the govt and power stations) and the torque from an electric motor keeping in mind the technology will improve for batteries and motors the fact that they havnt even bought it up shows that they are not thinking THAT far into the future...
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #106
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo_AUXR8
Makes for intersting reading!

What baffles me is that they havnt even concidered electric hybrids or even dedicated electric. i know thats far off but seriously R&D is the most expensive thing for a company like ford it seems their wringing a damp cloth for a bucket of water with the inevitably doomed combustion engine... I dont know how the platform of the falcon nor the acceptance from the public would go but it would be the best time to start doing it given holden plan to have hybrid in by 2012.

Electric motors have me interested too filling up at home (yes i know the power staion emissions are about equal to combustion motors but why not handball the emission problems to the govt and power stations) and the torque from an electric motor keeping in mind the technology will improve for batteries and motors the fact that they havnt even bought it up shows that they are not thinking THAT far into the future...

You speaking of Ford Oz or Ford US??
Old 23-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #107
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I'm starting to get the same impression Andrew. Marin talked about kuzak's involvement in a recent press article. Seemes strange to have him so heavilly involved if the I6 was to remain an 'orphan' engine. It has the capability to really go to anothe level again the I6. With so much achieved, its competitive nature as it is, without Di, alloy block or some of the other new tech (much of it ford developed) out there yet applied.
Verrrry interesting. I would have thought the F150 would have been a goer considering it's power and torque delivery. And I note the seppos are going to be without the E series vans soon, they will need a commercial load lugger over there that is both capable and cheap to run, and the Transit Connect isn't going to cut it for the big stuff.

But surely FoA would need another engine plant to satisfy demand? And of course the other thing is, aside from the airport tug rumour, where else can this engine physically go?
Old 23-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #108
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sell them our intellectual property, pay us royalties etc etc. It's possible.

They can tool up a plant and manufacture where they choose. Ideally in the US.

mmmm.
Old 23-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #109
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Sell them our intellectual property, pay us royalties etc etc. It's possible.

They can tool up a plant and manufacture where they choose. Ideally in the US.

mmmm.
But then, because we make I6's in such small volumes, they would just shut us down and make the engines over there to send to us, spread the costs across bigger numbers, the same reason they wanted to switch to the V6 in the first place.

Anyway, isn't the whole point of One Ford to illiminate duplication, the V6 and I6 can perform the same job, just that one does it better, the apparently low tech one.
Old 23-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #110
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
But then, because we make I6's in such small volumes, they would just shut us down and make the engines over there to send to us, spread the costs across bigger numbers, the same reason they wanted to switch to the V6 in the first place.

Anyway, isn't the whole point of One Ford to illiminate duplication, the V6 and I6 can perform the same job, just that one does it better, the apparently low tech one.
How are the Euro IV Engines going? Any insight you can share?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #111
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
How are the Euro IV Engines going? Any insight you can share?
Have a look under the bonnet of a 9.9L per 100 6 speed auto XT and thats basically it.

As Ford said before its the exhaust and calibration that they needed to change for Euro 4, and thats exactly what they did to the XT, a new cat and calibration, so its probably just about at Euro 4 already.

The new type of cats they are using must work extremely well.
Old 23-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #112
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

So, we build another plant in Australia instead, in Adelaide perhaps or even in Perth here. In fact, I know of a new industrial estate that would be suited to this sort of thing.

Quote:
Have a look under the bonnet of a 9.9L per 100 6 speed auto XT and thats basically it.

As Ford said before its the exhaust and calibration that they needed to change for Euro 4, and thats exactly what they did to the XT, a new cat and calibration, so its probably just about at Euro 4 already.

The new type of cats they are using must work extremely well.
I figured as much. Makes me wonder what all that fuss was for a year or so ago.
Old 23-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #113
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I figured as much. Makes me wonder what all that fuss was for a year or so ago.
Tom Gorman.
Old 23-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #114
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe this F150 thing has legs. A replacement for the 4.0 OHV v6 used in mustang and F150????

Its low tech, simple, cheap, lots of torque.....turbo option (ecoboost).
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #115
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The F150 thing is just us speculating. Don't read into it too much.
Old 24-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #116
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
The F150 thing is just us speculating. Don't read into it too much.
But just to play this further .....

Why didn't Fod Au Do what they did before, and drop the I6 in the Fseries just for Australian consumption.

Now there is a car F150 with the XR6T engine, and maybe a 'tricked up' FPV equivalent with the F6 engine.

Apparently here in AU we can sell virtually anf F series for whatever price is put on it.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #117
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
But just to play this further .....

Why didn't Fod Au Do what they did before, and drop the I6 in the Fseries just for Australian consumption.

Now there is a car F150 with the XR6T engine, and maybe a 'tricked up' FPV equivalent with the F6 engine.

Apparently here in AU we can sell virtually anf F series for whatever price is put on it.
It's a nice thought, but financially unviable on such a small scale.

The costs to homologate such an idea is astronomical when you consider the cost of each prototype and the amount of cars at that price to be slammed into a barrier...
Old 24-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #118
HSE2

To achieve the targets perhaps so but to make the engine last under those conditions not so or at least potentially not so with our cast iron block.

For example to get the AJV8 3 to ULEV2 standards involves some pretty trick engineering to its core design.

Emissions compliancy is about getting heat quickly into the engine and while I have no doubt it can be done with our IN6 with its cast iron block I also have concerns with the engines longevity.

While exhaust and cat alterations coupled with aggressive fuel cycle capabilities during the initial warm phase are reasonably doable the management of thermal shock is something just about every Euro 4 engine supplier has to overcome. I have lost count of the global recalls for coolant / warm up cycle issues with my Euro 4 engine due to plastic issues not withstanding these additional stresses and that is with an all alloy block.

As these regs go up and the extreme start up conditions become more stringent we are seeing innovation in reverse flow cooling and the introduction of heat exchangers for the lubrication oil. Oil and the correct type of oil in these engines are critical.

I very much look forward to reading the depth of engineering involved in our case.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #119
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
To achieve the targets perhaps so but to make the engine last under those conditions not so or at least potentially not so with our cast iron block.

For example to get the AJV8 3 to ULEV2 standards involves some pretty trick engineering to its core design.

Emissions compliancy is about getting heat quickly into the engine and while I have no doubt it can be done with our IN6 with its cast iron block I also have concerns with the engines longevity.

While exhaust and cat alterations coupled with aggressive fuel cycle capabilities during the initial warm phase are reasonably doable the management of thermal shock is something just about every Euro 4 engine supplier has to overcome. I have lost count of the global recalls for coolant / warm up cycle issues with my Euro 4 engine due to plastic issues not withstanding these additional stresses and that is with an all alloy block.

As these regs go up and the extreme start up conditions become more stringent we are seeing innovation in reverse flow cooling and the introduction of heat exchangers for the lubrication oil. Oil and the correct type of oil in these engines are critical.

I very much look forward to reading the depth of engineering involved in our case.
Very good post HSE2.

heat exchanges... mmmm. Bobcat has a couple. Will likely become the norm.

Plastic intakes heading back to AL. Beginning to happen.

The other issue apart from the Iron block of the IL6, is its length and the implications this has on start up temps.

The other requirements for the future emission standards are not only about the target numbers, but the increase in number of km's that the engines must comply.
Old 24-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #120
HSE2

Quote:
Very good post HSE2.

The other issue apart from the Iron block of the IL6, is its length and the implications this has on start up temps.

I agree. Some are completely stopping coolant flow through the block, but they are alloy engines. Was fortunate enough to sit in on a brief from a Prodrive engineer last year and this topic did raise its head. From an engineering perspective it’s hugely challenging and there is no let up going forward. It’s especially tough when consumers can’t actually feel an advantage in this enormous expense and endeavour.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post