Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #91
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFYOOT
Exactly right mate, if your wearing the flag for no other reason than you love our great country, than good on ya. If you hang your flag over your door to your room vertically for no other reason than you like to see it before you go to sleep and when you wake up, then good on ya. If you've got tat's of all our symbols all over your body, simply because you love being an Australian, then my hats off to you.
If you wear the flag because you like to stick it up the other nationalities, and try to show them that they are not wanted, whilst getting boozed and making the flag look like a drunken joke, then your a turkey and dont deserve to see it ever again.
The biggest concern of our diggers is that ANZAC day will one day be forgotten, so they are full of pride when they see our youngsters out there supporting what they have achieved, and what they have given us, with flags around shoulders or not.
Well said.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #92
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
On yet another side note, i find it bizarre when you see people with the southern cross stickers on their car, but their car is japanese/european or another foreign brand. If you really were that patriotic and loved your country so much you wanted everyone to see, wouldn't you buy australian everything? It seems to me to be as much about being cool and fashionable to be seen with 'australiana'. We sound more and more like the yanks the more i think about it...

Butying a commodore or falcon is as australian as buying a camry or 300?

its all owned by overseas companies!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #93
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
What grinds my gears, is all these flat brimmed, unit wearing mini truckers who get the southern cross tattooed on, stickers on everything, etc.
I have a southern cross sticker on my back window. I get heaps of people giving me the thumbs up, and to have a symbol of Australia permanantly on a visible part of your body is a big thing, so i say good on them.
The mini-truck and unit hats on the other hand.... :togo:

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #94
XT302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA_GT351
Speaking of which. anyone watch today tonight about the officer bashed leaving him with permanant injurys, The purportrator.. a big "tough guy" wearing aussie flag shorts,
The presiding Judge, jury should have their heads read, watching the footage of the launch/headbutt, had me realling and feeling ill.
Old 27-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #95
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
If we showed as much patriotism as the Yanks do .... is that a bad thing though? They drape the flag out of respect for there country ........ as what it represents, and are proud to do so. The flag is the identity of a country and the way people use it .... in a positive manner ..... shows the freedoms that are allowed in that country, and being proud of where they are from.
Too right. Well said Aus! Like I said earlier, the yanks win easily over us about "patriotism". Nearly every house has a flag outside the front door.
Especially around cultural events (Thanksgiving).
It's as good as being an Aussie at the olympics/commonwealth games when an Aussie wins gold. Or even better, when the Aussies won the America's Cup and you were in Perth/Freo at the time of the Australia II landed in the dock.(hehe)

Quote:
unless it's at a cricket match
Ahhh yes, beloved cricket! Cmon, sing it, you know you want to...
What it's all about.. For those who remember these guys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnmjXEyZovE
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #96
reece1
reece1

wear it dont, wear it. its a free country so each to there own. there is alot of good points from both sides of the argument. but no matter where i see it or how it is being used. i love it. except for the little pr##K who burnt the rsl one a few years back. instead of punishing him they rewarded him with a trip. that made me sick. that would have made a digger roll in his grave.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #97
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
wear it dont, wear it. its a free country so each to there own. there is alot of good points from both sides of the argument. but no matter where i see it or how it is being used. i love it. except for the little pr##K who burnt the rsl one a few years back. instead of punishing him they rewarded him with a trip. that made me sick. that would have made a digger roll in his grave.
No he wasn't rewarded with a trip, the RSL forgave him for what he did and showed him on the Kokoda trail what Aussie soldiers faced and went through and if you happened to watch the show about the trip he did show full remorse, he also showed a lot of nuts to stand up in front of that RSL and say he was sorry for his actions, not condoning what he did in the 1st instance was right, let it rest
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #98
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Off on a slightly different tangent but all ties in.

........ we eat out coat of arms. Does that show dignity and respect to our country? Is the flag or the coat of arms more important in showing respect?
I don't and I won't eat roo or emu. But I dont consider them "as" our coat of arms. They are just animals that are "on" our coat of arms and I won't even go into how many hundreds of thousands are killed on our roads.

[/QUOTE] Nothing worse than being told on the correct way to show your patriotism. Isn't that a form of oppression? [/QUOTE]

So should we keep our opinions to ourselves for fear of being labelled oppressors?
Old 28-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #99
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD

Yeah they are similar, but at least more of the money goes to australian engineers, designers, managers, 3rd party manufacturers, Forums () etc.
Bring back the Valiants, esp. the charger i say! I'd fully support a 100% australian made car.
My point is, buying a ford or holden puts more money back into australia than the alternatives. Am i the only one who sees the hypocrisy? Similar to australian flags made in other countries
Besides, i'm yet to see those southern cross stickers on a 300 or a camry
Must be the wrong crowd
Old 28-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #100
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst id personally like the flag changed, the current one needs to be shown respect. no wearing it as a cape as something as solemn as a gallipoli service or on Anzac day. its tacky and disrespectful.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #101
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Whilst id personally like the flag changed, the current one needs to be shown respect. no wearing it as a cape as something as solemn as a gallipoli service or on Anzac day. its tacky and disrespectful.
Yeah i agree, i always thought anzac day was supposed to be a sombre reflective occasion. Something as distracting as a flag cape is disrespectful.
Old 28-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #102
azaxr8

I agree with most of the posts. My last australia day i spent at the foreshore having a few quiet brews with a few close mates having a good time and the constant idiots in my age bracket 18-24 running around with the flag draping and being flat out racist and disrespectful to everyone around them is a absolute joke.

That is Un-Australian.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #103
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
On yet another side note, i find it bizarre when you see people with the southern cross stickers on their car, but their car is japanese/european or another foreign brand. If you really were that patriotic and loved your country so much you wanted everyone to see, wouldn't you buy australian everything?
Ummm, "no", that would be insane!

Quote:
It seems to me to be as much about being cool and fashionable to be seen with 'australiana'. We sound more and more like the yanks the more i think about it...
Nothing wrong with increased numbers of people displaying the national flag, but we are *far* from patriotic and proud to the American extent.

Those who choose to be 'offended' by AUS flag displays, tend to be those who seek a change to it; a la H. Scruby category via AUSFLAG, loopy PC apologists, extreme left-wingers, and various extreme and not so extreme republicans, even gimme's.

Such is life.

Lighten up a bit, enjoy this delightful French MP3 road safety ad.
http://www2.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...2006_07_06.mp3

Or this pdf:-)
http://www.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr/..._cle221c56.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #104
macca13

Well I am 'offended' by by people wearing the flag as a cape and I don't want it changed I like the fact that I can say I'm Australian without having to wear a flag to prove it. But if they feel the need to advertise the fact they are Australian all well and good but not on ANZAC day the only flags on that day should be on a pole and being saluted.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #105
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
It isn't some item of clothing. It's the right and privelege of every australian to fly the flag. And by fly i mean properly display, as it is a privelege to display it.
Damn i find that funny as #$# to read, privilege my A$$, Its a god given right to wear,fly the aussie flag as how i want to or anyone else for that matter. ANZACS yep ive had relatives on both sides of my family that died in the wars, if i wanna wear,fly or whatever the aussie symbol/flag i will
:togo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #106
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Those who choose to be 'offended' by AUS flag displays, tend to be those who seek a change to it; a la H. Scruby category via AUSFLAG, loopy PC apologists, extreme left-wingers, and various extreme and not so extreme republicans, even gimme's.

Such is life.
well i'm not offended by it, or do i want it changed. It either annoys me or i find it funny as its stupid. I don't care if you all keep doing it, i'll just keep laughing at you! Just like i will with hyundai drivers.

Quote:
Damn i find that funny as #$# to read, privilege my A$$, Its a god given right to wear,fly the aussie flag as how i want to or anyone else for that matter
It aint no right, it is a privelege and an honour that can be taken away, there is laws regarding this kind of thing.
btw, god didn't give anyone rights, people give and take away rights, god gave you life and choices.

Last edited by xy500; 28-04-2009 at 08:45 PM.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #107
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
.............. It aint no right, it is a privelege and an honour that can be taken away, there is laws regarding this kind of thing.
btw, god didn't give anyone rights, people give and take away rights, god gave you life and choices.
It is a right, a privelege and an honour ..... something that could never be taken away. Thats what makes here a good place to be

........... don't know where the god thing came from though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
So should we keep our opinions to ourselves for fear of being labelled oppressors?
HUH? Free speech is all part of the whole flag waving thing ...... I'll wear my flag and you can tell me its not right. We can both do this without being thrown into jail ..... good isnt it! Legislate either though and bingo!

And by the way ..... you should eat Kangaroo. Very lean, full of iron and very yummy. Roo tail soup is also great but can be a bit fatty.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #108
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen a few people wearing the Australian flag as a cape.

Most people who wear the flag as a cape behave appropriately.

However, you get those young 15/16 year olds (wearing the flag as a cape) who think that they're just great, everything they say is sharp, witty, and that everybody else around them founds them just as funny as they find themselves, and they're untouchable. These same little toads walk past cops in numbers and chant, "get a real job", not realising that serving people at McDonald's isn't a respected job once you're a grown man.

You get those people who decide to swill beer and bourbon and coke, lose control of their faculties, and cause trouble.

Too many people see the flag as "Ours". Why? Unless you're Aboriginal, then you're no different to anybody else. We've all come from overseas from somewhere along our family tree.

The second verse of the National Anthem actually means something (that's right. Not just a song to yell out loud while you're a drunken sod at a sporting event)...

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands
For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.

We all come from different lands, different backgrounds, and we all have different stories to tell. However, Australia offers a country where people can be free, and where people's beliefs and cultures can be celebrated, not shunned.

Too many people who state to have "Aussie Pride" and "love their country" are the first people to throw their cigarette butts on the ground, jam their packet of chips between the planks on a park bench, and throw their bottle of VB in the gutter.

To me, to actually love your country doesn't come down to what you wear.

It's in the heart. That's all that matters.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #109
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD

What? You mean the Commodore isn't an Australian car? LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #110
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
It is a right, a privelege and an honour ..... something that could never be taken away. Thats what makes here a good place to be
Rights can be removed at any time. Just ask Americans post 9/11. When people are afraid, they'll give up almost anything to "feel" safe. Look at the potential raft of new taxes that Kevin is going to try to thrust upon us because of the Climate Change scare, despite it doing nothing of actual value to the environment, and penalise us economically in the process. And people of this great nation are lining up to kiss his butt over it. :

Quote:
........... don't know where the god thing came from though.
Perhaps he's suggesting that there's something higher than our perceived rights etc?

Quote:
HUH? Free speech is all part of the whole flag waving thing ...... I'll wear my flag and you can tell me its not right. We can both do this without being thrown into jail ..... good isnt it!
Indeed! It's great.

Quote:
And by the way ..... you should eat Kangaroo. Very lean, full of iron and very yummy. Roo tail soup is also great but can be a bit fatty.
Love roo. First had it cooked by my Aboriginal mate. Can't say I like the idea of the soup though! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #111
VSSII

People wearing the national flag as some kind of clothing is just another example of slipping standards from people that generally don't know any better. Years ago I remember the disgust shown by many Americans when Ben Johnson and another of their athletes draped themselves in their flag for a victory lap at the Olympics. It was unheard of but due to their upbringing they didn't know any better. The French are just as patriotic and respectful if not moreso in regard to their flag. I don't think most people would be aware that it's a terrible sign of disrespect for the flag to touch the ground. But who would have told them? It's just par for the course today. Most of us don't even know the words to the second verse of our national anthem.

If you chose to wear the flag as some kind of clothing then knock yourself out but be aware that anyone who has served in any armed services or hell.. has even been in scouts will be far from happy with you. And generally thats who we are celebrating. (Those who have served, not the boy scouts!)
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #112
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
People wearing the national flag as some kind of clothing is just another example of slipping standards from people that generally don't know any better. Years ago I remember the disgust shown by many Americans when Ben Johnson and another of their athletes draped themselves in their flag for a victory lap at the Olympics. It was unheard of but due to their upbringing they didn't know any better. The French are just as patriotic and respectful if not moreso in regard to their flag. I don't think most people would be aware that it's a terrible sign of disrespect for the flag to touch the ground. But who would have told them? It's just par for the course today. Most of us don't even know the words to the second verse of our national anthem.

If you chose to wear the flag as some kind of clothing then knock yourself out but be aware that anyone who has served in any armed services or hell.. has even been in scouts will be far from happy with you. And generally thats who we are celebrating. (Those who have served, not the boy scouts!)
These are all good points. Whilst I understand peoples desire to show their love for the flag and country, there are rules in relation to the treatment of the flag. Choosing to ignore these rules to me shows a disrespect. It isn't hard to find out how the flags should be respected.

For example, if you want to fly the flag in your front yard, you should ALWAYS haul it down at sunset and raise it at sunrise. If you cannot do that then you should have it flood lit.

If it gets tatty from the sun, rain etc, replace it with a new one. Don"t leave it flying looking like it was on a battleship at the battle of Jutland.

If you hang it from a wall, makes sure its the right way around, that is, if displayed as it flys the union flag is to the top left. If it hangs down the Union flag is to the right.

Also understand the flag. That "bit" in the corner is not the "English" flag, nor is it the "Union Jack".

Here are some of the correct protocols.

http://www.flagaustnat.asn.au/protocol.php

At the end of the day you should show your love for your country as you see fit. Just be aware that some ways may be good for you but offend others if you choose to go with your own protocols.

Steve
edit
(See that link has already been posted)

Last edited by JG66ME; 02-05-2009 at 01:08 AM.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #113
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
These are all good points. Whilst I understand peoples desire to show their love for the flag and country, there are rules in relation to the treatment of the flag. Choosing to ignore these rules to me shows a disrespect. It isn't hard to find out how the flags should be respected.

For example, if you want to fly the flag in your front yard, you should ALWAYS haul it down at sunset and raise it at sunrise. If you cannot do that then you should have it flood lit.

If it gets tatty from the sun, rain etc, replace it with a new one. Don"t leave it flying looking like it was on a battleship at the battle of Jutland.

If you hang it from a wall, makes sure its the right way around, that is, if displayed as it flys the union flag is to the top left. If it hangs down the Union flag is to the right.

Also understand the flag. That "bit" in the corner is not the "English" flag, nor is it the "Union Jack".

Here are some of the correct protocols.

http://www.flagaustnat.asn.au/protocol.php

At the end of the day you should show your love for your country as you see fit. Just be aware that some ways may be good for you but offend others if you choose to go with your own protocols.

Steve
edit
(See that link has already been posted)
If it hangs down the Union Flag should be in the top left corner. It makes my blood boil when I see it done the wrong way.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #114
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
If it hangs down the Union Flag should be in the top left corner. It makes my blood boil when I see it done the wrong way.
What are you the flag police. Get over your self will you. As most have said here we all have a right to voice our own opinion just like you, it is our patriotic right or is that wrong as you see it.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #115
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Enough with flaming posts or this will get closed.

I find it odd that people are flaming others opinions yet get upset when their posts are flamed.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #116
cob115
COUPE WHORE

love aussi pride : ,iv got a flag pole with the aussi flag flying on it in my front yard,i drive a aussi coupe 351 of corse,love to were my flag aussi aussi aussi

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #117
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Enough with flaming posts or this will get closed.

I find it odd that people are flaming others opinions yet get upset when their posts are flamed.
I have no problem with people voicing there opinion, but take a fence when it is directed with defamatory comments.

Some on here think that none of us have any pride in our country.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #118
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Well theres your problem....you should have taken a gate!

Seriously, we are all not going to agree on this issue and I think just about all points have been raised and discussed.

I think we all need a beer and a good ole yarn tellin around the fire. Let it go people. Aussies are known world wide for being relaxed and carefree.

Yes, the flag is very important but so is getting along :
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #119
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Well theres your problem....you should have taken a gate!

Seriously, we are all not going to agree on this issue and I think just about all points have been raised and discussed.

I think we all need a beer and a good ole yarn tellin around the fire. Let it go people. Aussies are known world wide for being relaxed and carefree.

Yes, the flag is very important but so is getting along :
Could not have said it better

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #120
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
You are quite correct.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post