Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #91
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
That is BS to say the least.. I'm fuming over here.

Now you can smack the wickets with your gloves and claim it was bowled.

Edit: Haddin would've known, theres just no way he wouldn't have. Since when can you put your hands infront of the wickets?! He's no Gilly thats for sure. :evil3:
I think the theory is if his gloves weren't there it would have taken the bails off.
Fortunately for NZ it didn't effect the outcome.

And I agree, Haddin is no Gilly, not by a long shot
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #92
XR8putts

Thank **** we won that.

We should've won that with 7 wickets in hand and in the 35th over, chasing 182 - NZ really, really made it hard for themselves, not helped by some rubbish umpiring and I don't know what to say of Haddin's role in a player getting bowled.

Quote:
I think the theory is if his gloves weren't there it would have taken the bails off.
The ball clearly went into his gloves and his fingers hit the wicket, the ball missed the stumps. In all my years watching cricket I've never seen a keeper touch a ball before it has passed the stumps, have you? To Haddin's credit, atleast he let the batsman take a swing at the ball before he grabbed it. :togo:

I thought it was a terible game to watch, even though we won. Looking forward to Ryder opening the batting in the next game and hopefuly McCullum is allowed to bat more than two balls. After NZ's stunning performance in the field, this game was never Australia's to win, it was NZ's to lose - and they came damn close. Perth games suck, it's 2am!

Last edited by XR8putts; 02-02-2009 at 12:06 AM.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #93
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
a blind man did!! remember our home series with india last summer. andrew symonds smacked it through to the keeper and was given not out. 1 test later, tendulker smashed it into gilly's gloves and not called. pretty sure on both ocassions bucknor was umpire. as good as he may have been, he was dreadful then and in my opinion should be stood down. get the new guys in.

he actually was stood down because india threatened to take their bat and ball and go home.
There's been a long history between the Indian team and Bucknor though. They're genuinely of the opinion that Bucknor is racist against India and his decisions favour the opposition. While I don't subscribe wholly to the point of view that he's being racist, from my observations there does appear to be an inordinate amount of decisions by Bucknor consistantly favoring the team playing against India.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #94
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:

The ball clearly went into his gloves and his fingers hit the wicket, the ball missed the stumps. In all my years watching cricket I've never seen a keeper touch a ball before it has passed the stumps, have you? To Haddin's credit, atleast he let the batsman take a swing at the ball before he grabbed it. :togo:
Will probably hear more about it tomorrow, and no I don't recall ever seeing a keeper taking the ball in front (or nearly in front) of the wicket.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #95
prydey
Rob

you win some you lose some. the wicket involving haddin may have favoured australia but vetori was clearly run out but given not out.

thats the way the game goes.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #96
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
you win some you lose some. the wicket involving haddin may have favoured australia but vetori was clearly run out but given not out.

thats the way the game goes.
Exactly.

It was a shocking game made good too watch because of 2 ordinary teams. Hopefully friday we can see some decent hitting and some runs put on the board.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #97
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Things arnt looking good for Australia after watching this game.

This is the weakest team Ive ever seen N.Z. ever have.

And not to mention 7 of these N.Z. players haven't even been to Australia to play before.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #98
Corzza

Too many decisions that went very wrong

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #99
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
but vetori was clearly run out but given not out
did vetori not hit the winning runs - it doesn't matter because australia never get dud decisions, it is only their opposition that do
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #100
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Golden era over?? I'd say so but there is no need for panic, we are still a very good side. Instead of being head and shoulders above all the other teams we've been brought back to the pack. Coupled with the emergence of very strong South African and Indian teams has compounded our situation. Also New Zealand has always been a pretty handy one day team as well!!

I would look seriously at rebuilding our test team as a priority. The time is right to identify good young cricketers (in their early 20's) and bring them on to become long term team players. Maybe use the older fringe players for the one day squad.

As for Twenty20 who gives a #&*(. That is glorified baseball, it's total and utter CRAP and has no place in cricket. All it does is divert our players from the REAL game, test cricket.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #101
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Fortunately for NZ it didn't effect the outcome.
There are no theories allowed when it comes to dismissals. There are defined rules and all have to be satisfied in order for the outcome to be dismissed fairly.

I've only read the match report about it (due to the apparent controversies) because quite frankly, pyjama cricket just doesn't do it for me.

Gilchrist has effected a number of stumpings by taking the ball before it has passed the stumps, which, if it hasn't hit the batsmen or the bat, doesn't satisfy the requirements of being given out stumped. It's not common but it does happen and should be given not out. I don't recall a stumping appeal given not out due to taking the ball before it has passed the stumps, though.

The report isn't quite clear about whether he took the ball before the stumps (the one I read suggested above the stumps) and if he broke the wicket before taking the ball or not. If he did then the only dismissal open for appeal would be stumped (or run out depending on what had happened prior).

The scenario seems to be that Haddin played at the ball before it passed the stumps, dislodged the bails but the ball may well have bowled the batsmen had he not interviened. Brain fart by Haddin, does not satisfy all rules for bowled or stumped. Not out.

Further, it brings into question the sportsmanship of Haddin. While it may be lineball as to whether he realised that he had taken the ball before the stumps in trying to effect a stumping, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have known that the batsmen wasn't bowled. He should have had a word to Ponting and attempted to have the batsmen recalled.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #102
prydey
Rob

snicko showed zero movement on the d.hussey swing down leg side which was given out caught behind. there was a noise but in hindsight with the benefit of technology it obviously wasn't bat on ball. these decisions are part of the game and always have been. they are about to end though with england and west indies i think trialling a challenge system and when aust. tour rsa they will also trial a challenge system.

how many times do we bag the umpiring after seeing what he sees - the live action. i would say very rarely. normally its the slow replays that have us shaking our fist at the tv screen, a luxury the umpire doesn't have. obviously in this day and age there is technology there to assist but i believe they have to be careful how much they allow to interfere with the game. for one, i don't believe hawkeye to be that accurate. if it shows the ball clipping the outside mm of a stump or the very top of a bail, should that be given out? too much guessing, esp on a spinning ball. the umpires are all wired up. a quick chat with the 3rd or 4th ump to ask if it was inside edge or not may be all that is req and leave the rest up to the instincts of the ump. the challenge system will have a major effect on umpiring, just like in the tennis. very few overules by the umps in tennis these days. the same will happen with cricket. they will be a bit less involved on tight decisions and leave it up to players to decide whether or not they want to challenge.

i guess there is quite a bit riding on some games these days too which is one reason why a lot of people want the decisions to be as accurate as possible.

the fact that australia nearly made 181 runs be enough shows they are far from down and out just yet. nz have always been a good odi side.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #103
XR8putts

From Cricinfo.com

Quote:
Haddin calls 'cheat' claims poor and low

Daniel Vettori was disappointed Brad Haddin did not make an effort to prevent Neil Broom from leaving the field after the wicketkeeper dislodged the bails in a bowled dismissal in Perth. New Zealand went on to win the game on the last ball, but Broom's exit came at a critical time, ending his 42-run partnership with Ross Taylor.

Haddin's gloves were in front of the stumps and knocked off the bails, with Michael Clarke's delivery also appearing to head over the stumps. Neither umpire noticed Haddin's movement, which should have led to a no-ball, but it was clear on the replay.
"I think you saw from Haddin's reaction that he knew something was wrong so he probably should have made more noise about it," Vettori told NZPA after the win. "It is [disappointing] because I thought that was the partnership that was going to win the game, so it put us under a bit more pressure. We've just got to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Haddin called Vettori's response "poor" and "low", but maintained the ball hit the stumps before his gloves. "I'm pretty disappointed in Dan that he didn't have the decency to come and speak to me after the game if he had an issue with it rather than air his thoughts in a press conference," Haddin told AAP. "I think the polite or the decent thing to do would be to come and ask me. He's played a lot of cricket now and he knows too well what happens with these situations, so I thought it was a bit low. I think it's quite poor."

He said he was unaware at the time that his hands were ahead of the wickets. "After looking at the replay, my hands were in front of the stumps," he said. "But the ball, I'm 100% positive, hit the bails first and then came up into my gloves." Under the Laws, a no-ball should be called if the wicketkeeper does not stay behind the stumps until the ball touches the batsman, passes the stumps, or a run is attempted.

Ponting spoke before he had seen a replay but challenged Vettori to be sure of his Haddin criticism. "It's a bit much, he's basically claiming [Haddin's] a cheat, isn't he? That's a bit strong unless they're 100% certain.

"We'll wait and see. If [a replay] does show anything that Brad is in the clear, I'll certainly be letting Daniel know about it. It's probably worth Haddin having a chat to him as well. He's basically had a bit of a crack at Haddin's make-up."

Haddin told Ponting the ball had hit the top of off stump. "The umpire gave it out and the batsman walked off, and the next I heard of it was when I was asked about it at the end of play," Ponting said. "[Haddin] obviously didn't know, because if he knew then he wouldn't have claimed it. Whatever we're saying about Brad Haddin here, you can't say that knowingly happened, that is for sure."

Ponting's night grew worse when he was fined 20% of his match fee after being two overs behind the required rate. The rest of the team received 10% punishments. Australia get the chance to hit back in the second match of the Chappell-Hadlee Series in Melbourne on Friday.
So is Ponting still going to have a few words to Vetori still? Apologise perhaps?

This video shows it clear as day. Just watch the slow-mo(s).

How Haddin continues to claim innocence is ridiculous. Ponting should get his facts straight before he shoots his mouth off.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #104
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
From Cricinfo.com

So is Ponting still going to have a few words to Vetori still? Apologise perhaps?

This video shows it clear as day. Just watch the slow-mo(s).

How Haddin continues to claim innocence is ridiculous. Ponting should get his facts straight before he shoots his mouth off.
Just watched it, that is exceptionally poor wicket keeping and poor sportsmanship.

*At best* the ball may have nicked the bail had Haddin's gloves not been in the way but that's beside the point, Haddin's gloves broke the wicket. Haddin would have had to have questioned himself as to whether it was a fair dismissal at the time and he should have spoken up, IMO... he would have had to have known.

Broom as he was walking off appeared to be looking at both umpires, suggesting that he felt the dismissal was marginal and hoping for either a recall or a 3rd umpire review.

Without looking at the terms of play it may not have been an option for the onfield umpires to have sent that decision upstairs and relied on the 3rd umpire. Square leg should have had a reasonable view of it though and done something!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #105
Corzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Just watched it, that is exceptionally poor wicket keeping and poor sportsmanship.

*At best* the ball may have nicked the bail had Haddin's gloves not been in the way but that's beside the point, Haddin's gloves broke the wicket. Haddin would have had to have questioned himself as to whether it was a fair dismissal at the time and he should have spoken up, IMO... he would have had to have known.

Broom as he was walking off appeared to be looking at both umpires, suggesting that he felt the dismissal was marginal and hoping for either a recall or a 3rd umpire review.

Without looking at the terms of play it may not have been an option for the onfield umpires to have sent that decision upstairs and relied on the 3rd umpire. Square leg should have had a reasonable view of it though and done something!

Yeah that is poor sportsmanship.

If anything hw should have appealed for caught behind.

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #106
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:

I don't see where Ponting is shooting his mouth off, while admitting to not seeing the footage yet, he's still going to defend his team mate isn't he?
What would you expect him to do?

We'll probably never know if Haddin is lying or not, it's happened, it got missed by the umpires and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Except maybe the umpires will watch Haddin more closely now.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #107
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I don't see where Ponting is shooting his mouth off, while admitting to not seeing the footage yet, he's still going to defend his team mate isn't he?
I don't feel Ponting is shooting his mouth off but the prudent thing to have said would have been something along the lines of... 'I'd need to see the replay before I can comment on the incident...'

Bear in mind, Vettori had spent plenty of time in the shed viewing slo-mo replays and IMO, seems a fair minded player so it wouldn't be in his nature to critisise Haddin's actions without clear evidence.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #108
XR8putts

Quote:
Perhaps wait untill he has seen the footage, instead of planning to approach Vetori to tell him how wrong he was.

Quote:

We'll probably never know if Haddin is lying or not
Um, you might not - the rest of the cricketing world does.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Friday as it should be a good game, I just hope it's not as painful to watch as the first game was. NZ news is reporting Jesse Ryder is coming home due to his injury.. argh.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #109
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Perhaps wait untill he has seen the footage, instead of planning to approach Vetori to tell him how wrong he was.

Um, you might not - the rest of the cricketing world does.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Friday as it should be a good game, I just hope it's not as painful to watch as the first game was. NZ news is reporting Jesse Ryder is coming home due to his injury.. argh.

True, there is more than one way to skin a cat

What I mean about Haddin lying or not is that he is claiming the ball hit the bails first. The replays do seem to show otherwise but he may genuinely believe the ball did hit the bails first.

Anywho...bring on friday night! :
Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #110
prydey
Rob

how many guys here have kept wicket? how many guys here have had keeping gloves on and had 'feelin' at the end of them?

i've seen the replays, and yes, i agree it was a no ball, however its a bit rich to crucify haddin when there is a chance he genuinely didn't know what he'd done.

does anyone think if the roles were reversed and it was australia chasing a measly nz total and macullum (sp) stuffed up that the outcome would've been any different. no one on field got another look at it. by the time the batsmen looked even it was all over. all so easy to judge with the benefit of replays.

it would frustrate me but i wonder how different the reactions would be if they stopped playing replays at all. we see what the umpire sees. live action, one time.

there were some rough decisions for australia too. d.hussey didn't hit the ball according to snicko but given out. replays also seem to show vettori fractionally short of his ground and given not out. this is part of cricket.

lets just hope austalia can show up with more than 2 batsmen and 2 bowlers in melbourne.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #111
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Haddin would have had to have questioned himself as to whether it was a fair dismissal at the time and he should have spoken up, IMO... he would have had to have known
very true, at best he could not have known whether it was a true dismissal or not. you would think with so many cameras, that even if honesty was not his number one priority that he would have said something so as not to be called a cheat

and as has been suggested, ricky should have said, "he would have to look at the replay first". did he think that vettori had not already seen it or did he think vettori was lying

poor form all round and if it was another keeper doing that, i would have called him a cheat, so at present i do not have many nice things to say about haddin - except he isn't the first and he won't be the last - unfortunately
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #112
BZINGA