Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #91
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
You're a fuukn idiot.

I love coming accross drivers like you when I'm in my Patrol. My 240mm Lightforce spotties are mounted around the same height as a sedan drivers head, and I'm sure they make a pretty good impression for the last 50 or so metres before you go past. :thebirds:

Turn the fuukn things off, you don't need em and you look like an idiot :

Dave.
I love my LF 240s ... they work a treat.
Mobile phone camera darkened the image due to the light intensity ... the lights are actually much brighter than this :P
Old 13-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #92
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Fog lamps are not linked in with your driving lights, thus if your vehicles smaller lights in the lower bumper only work whilst your head lights do they are driving lights and this rule does not apply.
Old 13-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #93
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Fog lamps are not linked in with your driving lights
True . . . Insoafar they are a different circuit...

Quote:
thus - if your vehicles smaller lights in the lower bumper only work whilst your head lights do, they are driving lights and this rule does not apply.
ADR - as a 'compliance requirement', & NVS for 'aftermarket installs', - has it that front fogs are to be able to operate when the headlight switch is on park, low or high-beam. Front fogs have their own switch, tell-tale and a green pilot-light is optional. See earlier posts showing switch diagrams.

Driving lamps (used to aid standard high-beam performance), are only to operate when the cars regular headlight switch is flicked to high-beam. Aftermarket installs *must* have a seperate high-beam switch, so the driver can switch off the driving lamps to rely on the cars regular high-beams only, if it is so desired.

Compliance coding: - The lens of a front fog light will show near the E Mark - '02B', the letter 'B' tells police the lamp is a complianced front fog.

Driving lamp compliance will show near the E Mark the designation "HR", here the letter "R" represents compliance for a drivng lamp.

This has all been covered early on in the thread, so once again we are going over that which has already been discussed. Remember too that the ISO switch symbols (and the switching operation) shown & discussed earlier is another way of determining 'type of lamp'.

To help overcome 'education issues', NSW RTA's "Road Users Handbook" is to include the symbols with appropriate text placed nearby.

Btw - the only car I can think of in this market, with complianced driving lamps below the bumper, is the Nissan Micra GTi. A couple of older Ford Explorers 'might' have come through with DL's.

I like your driving lamps Mechan1k!!

Regards.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 13-05-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #94
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
They would be driving lights if they did. It seems some cannot differentiate between fog and driving lights. Including the authorities...
That was my point. If it is illegal to use the 'fog' lights 99% of the time i.e. ONLY in fog, then they are basically useless for most drivers. Make them 'driving' lights and make better use of them.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #95
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Thanks Keepleft ... they do they job You should see Orbit's setup on his AU ute :hihi:
As you can see I have kept my foglights off below though as it wasn't foggy at the time :
I have to turn my highbeam off as it is blinding when coming up to the large reflective signs on the freeways ... that's about the only time they annoy me.

Anyway ... when it comes to driving lights ... most cars literally incorporate them into the headlight clusters now as it is. The seperate high beam insert seen in many cars are pretty much a small driving light as it is ... as the outers are dual-filament low/high beam as it is. Car makers have no need to install externally mounted driving lights (degrading from the fluid design of their vehicles). It is much easier to incorporate foglights in the lower bumpers for people who may need to use them. Having driving lights mounted down there is useless anyway ... you'd get little to no range from them ... and more than likely cause more glare on the road immediately infront of you than producing distance lighting for country highway/freeway use.
Old 14-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #96
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I love my LF 240s ... they work a treat.
Mobile phone camera darkened the image due to the light intensity ... the lights are actually much brighter than this :P
Ok...so whats High beam like
Old 14-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #97
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Oh ... you haven't seen the 4 across the roof ... LMAO
just kidding ... my highbeam is nowhere near what Orbit's are like ... and I presume you have seen his setup as he is local to you :P
Old 14-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #98
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreamer
That was my point. If it is illegal to use the 'fog' lights 99% of the time i.e. ONLY in fog, then they are basically useless for most drivers. Make them 'driving' lights and make better use of them.
I'd say that's what people are complaining about being hit with there glare..
Which fog lights don't do... There are a few variable we are talking about here..
[1] One is fog lights, [2] lights on during the day for safety, [3] driving lights for open road...

They all have there reason's for being used. But the debate gets crowded with different applications of secondary light..
Some people just whinge that you have lights on during the day.. I had one old bugger complain to me that my low watt fog lights dazzled his eyes!!!..
I say B.S ...Just whinging for the sake of it...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 14-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #99
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

You're full of sh!t mate, a lot of so called "fog" lights are considerably brighter than the cars low beam lights. I don't know if this is an allignment issue or not, fact is they are bright. They are NOT driving lights, or else they wouldn't be on while the car is on low beam.

Dave.
Old 14-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #100
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Yeah you will find the most of the later models Commodores (I think up to VY) managed to get a Korean made "fog" light to pass ADR ... mind you the actual reflector in them was not designed for fog light usage (more closer to a spot light) ... and there was no actual diffuser in there either.

I really have no idea how they managed to get passed ADRs.

At least Ford used proper Hella fog lights that are shielded to fog light use.
Old 14-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #101
XlR8TED

[QUOTE=ebxr8240]Just whinging for the sake of it...[/QUOTES]

Summary of this whole thread IMO.

I can honestly say I've never been close to being blinded by any sort of driving/fog light.

You sound like a bunch of grumpy old bastards with nothing better to do than complain. :
Old 14-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #102
davez104

come over here and say that, I'll flog you with my walking frame

Kidding.

Dave.
Old 14-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #103
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've noticed a few people say that fog lights aren't as bad as headlights because of they are angled down more.

Rubbish.

The higher the light is mounted, the more it needs to be angled downward to light uo the area in front of the car. The more downward angle, the less horizontal projection of the beam (also fills in shadows behind undulations much better). The lower the light is mounted, the more horizontal it needs to be and thus a greater projection. Think about it, a light mounted under the bumper would have to be aimed parallel to the road surface to be of any use, and any spread of that beam is going to be more blinding to oncoming traffic than a roof mounted light angled down.

I personally dislike any lights on at all during the day (even when it's raining, it's only wet, not dark) as I find it distracting but each to their own.

And yes I have driven in fog thick enough to make me cut my speed back to about 20 on the highway. Lasted for a good hour as well, I've never seen fog like it, even sunrise didn't burn it off.

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 14-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #104
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

i have them, dont use them, and dont care when others do (except for the dodgy ones primarily on holden utes!?) i dont see the need for them, they dont help me see during the day or night so they stay off.

Like a few have said, i dare say most are bad because someone has modified them. iirc the ba's have a cover thingo on the globe inside the spotlight so they physically cannot shoot upwards, only along the ground? not sure if this stays in place when the globes are changed..
Old 14-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #105
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I am actually upgrading the bulbs in my "fog lights" soon. I drive around everywhere with the head/fog lights on. If they are illegal, I would have expected to have been pulled over many a time by police coming the other way, besides..... wouldn't FPV have put out a recall like Ford did when there were issues regarding a breach of some A.D.R rubbish on my BA Ghia????

In my opinion they are only for aesthetics anyway, they are in NO WAY dazzling to on coming traffic
STIFF TITTIES if you can't handle them, keep a set of shades handy if it bothers you that much!
Old 14-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #106
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=XRSex]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Just whinging for the sake of it...[/QUOTES]

Summary of this whole thread IMO.

I can honestly say I've never been close to being blinded by any sort of driving/fog light.

You sound like a bunch of grumpy old bastards with nothing better to do than complain. :
I make a point of having a can of black in the car boot , known to use it on illegal spots too( in Qld )as I hate tossers with spots on in the clear
Old 14-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #107
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
In my opinion they are only for aesthetics anyway, they are in NO WAY dazzling to on coming traffic
STIFF TITTIES if you can't handle them, keep a set of shades handy if it bothers you that much!
Or collide with you head on when being blinded by them. Stiff titties indeed.
Old 14-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #108
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
I make a point of having a can of black in the car boot , known to use it on illegal spots too( in Qld )as I hate tossers with spots on in the clear
So you turn around and follow them, wait until they stop, then spray black on there 'illegal' lights.
You live a very dangerous life.
Old 14-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #109
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo

I personally dislike any lights on at all during the day (even when it's raining, it's only wet, not dark) as I find it distracting but each to their own.
although this is getting slightly off topic, it is much easier to see oncoming traffic in bad weather when they have some form of lights on. esp some of the greyish coloured cars that really seem to blend in to the road, esp when its raining.

also when driving the highway, it is recommended that lights are used. can see vehicles coming from much farther away than ones without lights on.

each to their own i guess but if its going to help people see my car, or me see thier car, i'll use them whenever i see fit.

sorry to go off topic but i think the original topic has been well and truly covered close to 5 times now.
Old 14-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #110
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I am with you Prydey.

I always drive with low beam on during the day ... as I am on the road so much ... it's a case of people seeing me (especially people who swap lanes without really looking) ... if they at least take half a glance they MAY just see my lights and not run into me.

Also agree with grey/rainy weather and dull/silver/dark cars ... lights should be on in any sort of inclement weather ... just for safety sake.
Old 14-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #111
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
... if they at least take half a glance they MAY just see my lights and not run into me.
Good move. I've heard about the way you drive:
Quote:
Also agree with grey/rainy weather and dull/silver/dark cars ... lights should be on in any sort of inclement weather ... just for safety sake.
You forgot Sunrise and Sunset. It's a real bastard seeing dark(ish) coloured cars that blend in with the road..country roads, not city ones!
Old 14-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #112
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

LOL Rog ... at least I am not one of those last second lane changing driver that jump in front of trucks as lights go red ... I don't see how some people live to drive another day.
Old 14-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #113
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
LOL Rog ... at least I am not one of those last second lane changing driver that jump in front of trucks as lights go red ... I don't see how some people live to drive another day.
A lot of them dont
Old 15-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #114
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
You're full of sh!t mate, a lot of so called "fog" lights are considerably brighter than the cars low beam lights. I don't know if this is an allignment issue or not, fact is they are bright. They are NOT driving lights, or else they wouldn't be on while the car is on low beam.

Dave.
They are not fog lights then..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 15-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #115
davez104

Then you tell me what they are. Driving lights will only be on when the headlights are on high beam, no other time. Fog lights are on when any of the cars lights are on, be that parkers, low beam or high beam. I don't know of any other ancillary lights fitted to cars. Enlighten me.

Dave.
Old 15-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #116
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Fog lights are on when any of the cars lights are on, be that parkers, low beam or high beam.
Mine aren't. Not unless I hit the fog light switch.

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 15-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #117
davez104

Yeah, of course the have to be switched on. Driving lights should also have a seperate switch, I was just stating where the headlights have to be for the fog lights/driving lights to come on.

Dave.
Old 18-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #118
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Cool

With snow falling now, is it legal to use 'fog' lights, or must I get 'snow' lights??
Old 18-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #119
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
With snow falling now, is it legal to use 'fog' lights, or must I get 'snow' lights??
Humour aside, yes - you can legally use your front fogs in falling snow.

They are particularly useful the heavier the snowfall. If it becomes a blizzard, switch off the low-beam headlights, keep the front fogs on, much less glare.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 18-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #120
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

As it seems to be all a play on words, why can't I use the 'fog' lights when I am 'driving'. I do realise that they are different lenses etc. but it seems to me to be just a legal issue in the use of them.
Closed Thread