Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #91
Danny
GT4.

I wouldnt be surprised if you start seeing some Car -Bra'ed Fez's getting round between Jan-Apr
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #92
Nappa
Impressive...

Lets hope that they are easier to get then the XR5 i'd swap my xr6 for one of those as my drive car if i could. I want performance blue with white stripes.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #93
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Sure, but they all share one thing in common. They're small displacement, short stroke, high revving engines. The only one that I know of that is in the league of those cars from a similar era that has VTEC or similar technology is the NSX. And its the slowest and least powerful.

And yes, 355's are tasty.

http://www.fast-autos.net/compare/?a=27&b=1098

The Honda has 40hp more but a puny 7ftlbs more torque, coming on 300rpm higher in the range, and 900rpm for the power. It's 17 years newer and has VTEC and other technologies the old Porsche doesn't. Yet its got virtually equal torque, its slower and its not that much more powerful all things considered.

Well seat up heads & cams on a dimensionally (bore/stroke) proportionate engine will generally eliminate the need for 'crutch,' technology like VTEC. Now, when you take a well set up proportionate engine and then add the variable valve timing to that... things get interesting. :
You would be surprised how many Honda car engines are undersquare (longer stroke than bore ratio). The 2.0 litre version of the S2000 and the NSX aren’t but a lot of others are. There are also different versions of VTEC – some produce more power than a “normal” engine, some are designed for lower emissions/consumption – all based on different cams, changeover points, etc. I’ve driven an early version of the 2nd gen CRX without the Honda engine management, the guy would manually flick it from “low” cam to “high” cam for sprints. I’ve driven it on “low” and “high” cam on the road and on the track – it wasn’t a pig taking off in “high” cam mode – remember that the first iteration of the VTECs were peakier than later models. The owner was also planning on developing the car more extensively for sprints and the “low” cam was going to be almost as “high” as the original “high” cam and the new “high” cam would be a real screamer.

The read outs for the DC2R Integra’s torque curve aren’t that bad, peak torque arrives above 6000rpm but there is still a fair bit from down low. I’ve had a drag from 60kmh to 165ish kmh along the straight of a race track with a 993 Carrera 2 Varioram model. The Porsche had a passenger and was giving it an honest go, I had my foot down and was just trying to hold off the inevitable. He was 1375kg (plus driver and passenger) with 212kw at 6100rpm and 340nm at 5000rpm. I was 1087kg (with driver and A/C) with 141kw at 7900rpm and 178nm at 6300rpm – who do you think pulled on who? We were both surprised that we remained almost neck and neck until the braking area. The Porka was pulling way quicker times than me for a lap but in this very narrow section we were almost equal.

Variable valve timing is a good idea for engine flexibility (and emissions compliance) but it is only a stop gap until electronic valve timing (no camshafts) comes out.

(If you want a real short stroke high revving Honda engine have a look at the trouble-prone 8 valve, 2-conrods per oval-piston 2 cylinder NR bikes that Honda brought out for racing. )
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 08-12-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #94
QLDxr
Starter Motor

Guys - I can CONFIRM that the XR4 will be here in Oz.

I used to work at Ford R&D in UK and when I was back in Blighty last month I was chatting to the B-Car Development peeps as they were performing some engine cal. changes to suit the (cr@p) Australian fuel.

I have driven many Fiesta ST's (coded B257ST in UK) as part of my role at Ford R&D. If anyone's driven the Focus ST170, then they are very similar.
Anyone thinking of getting the XR4 and modifying the engine, think again. The XR4 used the 5-Speed IB5 transmission and is on it's limits. The engine calibration limits torque in 1st and 2nd gears of the XR4 to prevent the G'box from spitting cogs - known as Torque Truncating.
In the UK, there are many aftermarket Co's with bolt on packages to get the 2.0L up to 250hp (Exhaust, cams etc) - just a shame the G'box won't cope!
QLDxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #95
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLDxr

I used to work at Ford R&D in UK and when I was back in Blighty last month I was chatting to the B-Car Development peeps as they were performing some engine cal. changes to suit the (cr@p) Australian fuel.

I have driven many Fiesta ST's (coded B257ST in UK) as part of my role at Ford R&D. If anyone's driven the Focus ST170, then they are very similar.
Anyone thinking of getting the XR4 and modifying the engine, think again. The XR4 used the 5-Speed IB5 transmission and is on it's limits. The engine calibration limits torque in 1st and 2nd gears of the XR4 to prevent the G'box from spitting cogs - known as Torque Truncating.
In the UK, there are many aftermarket Co's with bolt on packages to get the 2.0L up to 250hp (Exhaust, cams etc) - just a shame the G'box won't cope!

there are clutche plates that allow the gearbox to handle the extra BHP. or does that do nothing??....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #96
falcXF 2 Fiesta
Starter Motor

ok so no word from Ford, but we're going with a probable "XR4" in Oz but what do we think it'll be priced at? and from my understanding the "XR4" is based of the Fiesta ST yea?
falcXF 2 Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #97
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcXF 2 Fiesta
ok so no word from Ford, but we're going with a probable "XR4" in Oz but what do we think it'll be priced at? and from my understanding the "XR4" is based of the Fiesta ST yea?
Fiesta XR4 = Fiesta ST.... unless if Ford Aus decides to tweak some things. It'd probably be priced at $24,990-25,990 to compete with the Polo GTi.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #98
0xyg3n

Quote:

Could always buy a group n dog box :P
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #99
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

im sazving my $$$ for the new civic type R when she comes out

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #100
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:

That whole paragraph speaks as if the gearbox is unchangeable or unmodifyable?

Anyone thinking of getting serious power from any car will have planned for such components to be upgraded anyway.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #101
QLDxr
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That whole paragraph speaks as if the gearbox is unchangeable or unmodifyable?

Anyone thinking of getting serious power from any car will have planned for such components to be upgraded anyway.

The G'box isn't changeable for any other i.e. Getrag, MMT6, MTX etc as none of them would fit. The amount of effort that went in to moving the battery for the ST was amazing. At one point, it was going to be in the boot, but then cabelling was too expensive, so it had to stay in the engine bay.

I'm sure some aftermarket Co's will be doing upgraded IB5 transmissions and then Co's doing a new calibration to remove the torque truncation?
QLDxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #102
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

u can get better internals from pumabuild

In development stage 2

Old 11-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #103
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quaife make a straight cut syncromesh replacement gear set for the IB5.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #104
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

yeah thas the one and a lsd aswell

In development stage 2

Old 13-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #105
Battlepope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
We should organise a group thing to Melb. Anyways ill make sure to bring a mop for the drool.

Fiesta XR4 will be released first quarter of 2007?? so thats like april at the latest?? Hmm thats sooner than I thought... I bags White with Blue Stripes. Take it and die.
i assume that the first quarter would actually be the first quarter of the financial year. if so, don't expect to see it until july at the earliest. september at the latest.
Battlepope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #106
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

You could be right but why didnt they say first quarter of financial year 2007. Im sure that would confuse more people.

Also how more late do they wanna release it. It should have been here in 2004-2005. Wer dont want it in another years time. WE WANT NOW. : :eclipsee_ :
Old 13-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #107
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
....when I was back in Blighty last month I was chatting to the B-Car Development peeps as they were performing some engine cal. changes to suit the (cr@p) Australian fuel.
Interesting.

Crap as in expensive or crap as in lower quality fuel than those in Europe?
Old 13-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #108
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i think he is talking about the 91 RON fuel.....i think Most of if not all of europe use 95 as there base fuel type.....

Old 13-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #109
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlepope
i assume that the first quarter would actually be the first quarter of the financial year. if so, don't expect to see it until july at the earliest. september at the latest.
nah, 1st quarter is first calender quarter. It will no doubt launch at the melbourne motor show. Official word of release is around dealerships now, vehicle codes are on the dealer access sites with everthing except pricing at this stage.
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #110
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Europe only has 95, 98 and 100Ron fuels which is why european cars need premium 95 to run properly.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #111
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

june launch. stock at dealers in may
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
Old 17-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #112
Sonia

:1syellow1
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 08:37 AM   #113
photn
AFF Post NAZI

WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP *spins around on floor like home does* hehehehehehe

So? who is going to buy one? ???????? ( heheeh i like starting this again)

Partsguy do you know any of the options that will come with it?

Old 18-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #114
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

May/June is plenty of time for me to start saving. You all know i want one..... White/Blue Stripes.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #115
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
May/June is plenty of time for me to start saving. You all know i want one..... White/Blue Stripes.
hehehehehe and so the war starts lol......ohh this is going to be so much fun..........i should start saving as well. mind you i probably wont have enough lol.......

Old 18-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #116
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'll be great to have one but I dont think i'd be able to afford the XR4 :/ And when I can, it'd be too late.

I'll just put on semi-slicks and outcorner yous. :
Old 18-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #117
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a Nay from me. I'm still paying off the LX! However, if I did sell it, and bought the XR4 that'd total around $46k that'd I have to pay back.
Old 18-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #118
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
hehehehehe and so the war starts lol......ohh this is going to be so much fun..........i should start saving as well. mind you i probably wont have enough lol.......
I dont think its a war at all. I mean i want it and i aim to get it. Just have to wait till January to see my finances.
Old 18-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #119
photn
AFF Post NAZI

yer well i think we wil have to wait till march to find out how much they will be and im pretty sure that will determine wheather or not ill be able to get it...even if i have to wait till the end of the Year.....so who knows

Old 18-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #120
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Partsguy do you know any of the options that will come with it?
Stripes.

All standard equipment was strangely dreamed about previously :