Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How much power does a large RWD saloon need for satisfying performance ?
150-200 rwkw's 2 1.54%
200-250 rwkw's 15 11.54%
250-300 rwkw's 40 30.77%
300-350 rwkw's 43 33.08%
More than 350 rwkw's 30 23.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #91
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: VF SSV- Redline vs SC FPV GT-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Rodge was comparing two cars from the same segment- which is a valid comparison. Comparing all cars across all segments is ridiculous.
UM .... No?

I read it as Commodores sell more so they must be better ...... re read it a few times to make sure so point stands. Just because something sells more does not make it better.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #92
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
UM .... No?

I read it as Commodores sell more so they must be better ...... re read it a few times to make sure so point stands. Just because something sells more does not make it better.
Your posts on this topic are clearly biased, I'm not going to feed you.
Old 26-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #93
Rodge
Banned

My mistake Auslandau, forgive me, I thought we could have a mature, intelligent and constructive debate about the relative merits of the two cars. It appears this was an unrealistic expectation.

Eastern Automotive in Auckland here ran their two development SS's up on their dyno at the commencement of their build and only achieved 198 and 203 rwkw's respectivly which is on average 112 rwkw's less than my car is making, so I think its a given the on road performance would underwhelm, at least in stock tune.

I have experienced Holden's electronic "reliability" before with my Holden Calais and it wasn't a happy ownership experience, perhaps they're better now, but I remain sceptical.

If I could find a SSV-Redline to evaluate in Auckland I would, just out of interest because unlike some on here I am not blinded by brand loyalty and am happy to have an open and friendly debate on the merits of our cars without ever feeling the need to be argummentative or defensive. I have made enquiries and none of the Auckland dealerships have one in their demo fleet. This is at odds with what I was told when I started this somewhat unfortunate "debate". I can;t drive one without flying or driving all the way to Wellington and can't be bothered doing that so that speaks for itself in terms of my liklihood of buying one.

I think everyone has had an ample opportunity to express their opinion on the matter and thank those of you for voting and expressing your opinion.

Naturally I am disappointed some couldn't see where I am coming from, (yourself included) and just wanted an objective discussion on the relative merits of the two cars.

I think everyone has had a chance to vent their feelings / get defensive and objectionable or make constructive posts as the case may be and see little merit in further debate especially seeing as the poll result now has a decent sample size.

To the people who have made kind and objective comments, (you know who you are), a heart felt thankyou, you are truly a breath of fresh air in a thread where I am somewhat surprised to say the least that many feel the need to be so incredibly defensive.

I guess at a difficult time like we are facing now with the pending cessation of FPV and Falcon production in due course, sensitivities are naturally in a hightened state so that's somewhat understandable.

HSV N.Z. have probably done me a favour by pricing the GTS at an unfair and objectionable level to Kiwi's.

Anyway, as requested, here's Wolfie, short of technology, yes, but notwithstanding that a very satisfying drive and coincidentally bang on the money with consensus power output required for high level's of satisfaction as per the poll outcome.

Last edited by Rodge; 26-02-2014 at 07:35 AM.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #94
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Comparisons are a funny thing, my mechanic took the mrs au 2 Ghia for a new fuel pump yesterday and loaned me his vy ss wagon, when I returned the car to his house after he had shut for the day I thought apart from the sound there was noting nice about it, seating, steering looks or handling.. How surprised was I when Daniel said the same about his vy and how much he preferred her au over his wagon.. So much that he told me to let him know if I ever sell it.
And there is what, 5 years between a au & vy.. It's all subjective , if u like the vf buy it, but buy it for what it is, not what you are comparing it two, they are 2 different cars.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 26-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #95
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

She is a beauty Rodge.
Old 26-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #96
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Hi Rodge,

I spend a fair bit of time over on SVT Performance; this is an American Forum with plenty of news on the new Mustang.

I'm starting my research early as a Mustang will most likely be my next Ford purchase!

Here's a link to just one feature on the new Mustang. It should be right for a big Kiwi front rower like yourself and the seats, I'm pretty sure, will be heated. Seats also appear to be well bolstered.

Switchgear, for the lights, wipers and indicators, looks to be a straight lift from Focus. This is not a bad thing as I find these controls easy to use and have a "good" feel.

There's also a thread over there with a spy shot of what is thought to be a 350, check out the rear rubber on that!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...0-mustang.html

Would love to see you stay in the Ford camp. I'll admit I did have a wobbly moment when I considered withdrawing my deposit on the R-Spec and going for an SRT-8 but after 18 months of owning the R-Spec the best feature of it is the supercharged engine (plus the ZF for me), I absolutely love starting the beast up and driving it; it doesn't even have sat-nav and I've never listened to the radio let alone an I-Pod! The Mustang will fulfil the role of a cruiser for me.

Cheers,

Jim
Many thanks Jim. You're an absolute gentleman and a good friend. I hope your wife is enjoying her new Focus. Its crossed my mind to get a titanium Focus for my Mrs and get my tech fix from that, but I doubt she'd let me drive it
Old 26-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #97
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Comparisons are a funny thing, my mechanic took the mrs au 2 Ghia for a new fuel pump yesterday and loaned me his vy ss wagon, when I returned the car to his house after he had shut for the day I thought apart from the sound there was noting nice about it, seating, steering looks or handling.. How surprised was I when Daniel said the same about his vy and how much he preferred her au over his wagon.. So much that he told me to let him know if I ever sell it.
And there is what, 5 years between a au & vy.. It's all subjective , if u like the vf buy it, but buy it for what it is, not what you are comparing it two, they are 2 different cars.
Unfair comparison - everyone who's been in an AU knows they're the most comfortable cars this side of absolutely nothing
Old 26-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #98
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

RE: the Poll. I don't know if anyone else has said this (haven't read the whole thread) but it isn't just rwkw that count. You need good gearing for satisfying performance IMHO. I personally am more satisfied with the performance of a 6-speed FG XR6 (stock) than an ~220rwkw BA XR8 4-speed.
Old 26-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #99
Bulletime

What a beautiful car! Wish I could afford one, that v8 sound with the supercharger wine... pure heaven! Happy with my XR6T but that v8 sound can't be beaten.

I'm hoping the we can afford, and the wife will agree, to a manual v8 mustang as a replacement for her focus ;) would make the perfect town car!
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #100
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Rodge,

The GT sure is an animal in a straight line but i do know were you are coming from. I think the only thing that the SS doesn't do better than the GT does is that power. Once you sit in it and before you crank it over, it will feel great, but once you give it that first punch you will be totally underwhelmed and wondering if your foot was actually down. It handles well, seating position is so much better than the FG, steering wheel position doesn't sit in my lap like the FG does, it just feels tight, but i feel like im pressing the accelerator of a Prius.

If it's tech you are after and you can deal with the lack of power then you will drive it away from the lot. I have an FG XR6 turbo so i cant compare with the GT other than taking one for a test drive and feeling it lacks punch early in the rev range compared to my tuned xr6. But after driving the SS the only way i would swap over is if i could get 300 at the wheels for under 4 grand and that is never going to happen.

I love ford but i am also non-biassed, my last car was a VY Clubsport. I miss the manual but haven't found anything in my price range with the power i want to change into. No way im getting into something that only has 200rwkw. I think the XR8 will be the chosen one. But i am not a tech guy.

Hope this helps mate.
Old 26-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #101
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Wolfie is a beautiful car Rodge, honestly. I am sure you are prouder to own that than seems evident by your continual comparisons to anything that's not Ford.

For the record, there's more "likes" for my expression of opinion than people who voted between 100-250rwkw in your poll combined (as you say it's a good sample size now) So when you single me out- and yes I saw the response before you edited it yesterday- because you don't like my opinion, maybe re-read what I had to say and see how relevant and on topic it actually was.

If you go and put the notion out on a public (Ford) forum and can't muster the fortitude to respect other people points of view, then that's not really fair either.

I have no problem with the look at the SSV Redline as a stand alone purchase, for buying the car on its own merits- BUT, as I said yesterday- to suggest that it's better than (in this case make direct comparisons to) the very car that everyone else here would wet themselves over, is pure lunacy.

Again, as has been suggested- have a good look at Wolfie mate. Then go find an open road and, well, you'll work it out...
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 26-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #102
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rodge what does the GT-P weigh in comparison to the Redline ?
Old 26-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #103
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
As opposed to your contributions to all things VF?
If you could get "fed" from VF threads, you'd be fat by now.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 26-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #104
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa View Post
As opposed to your contributions to all things VF?
If you could get "fed" from VF threads, you'd be fat by now.
Do you have an actual gripe with my contributions or are you just trying to score points with the forum director? I own a VF, so I reply in VF threads with my first hand experiences- do you find something remarkable about that? Everything I post is as objective as possible (if you care to read my posts, not just count them). I don't make excuses for either car. Regarding Auslandau, I wasn't having a dig at him, his posts just give me the impression that he's not being objective regarding VF vs FG so I'm not going to feed fuel into an un-winnable argument.

If you have anything else you'd like to discuss that isn't relevant to the thread, I'd prefer you PM me.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #105
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Do you have an actual gripe with my contributions or are you just trying to score points with the forum director? I own a VF, so I reply in VF threads with my first hand experiences- do you find something remarkable about that? Everything I post is as objective as possible (if you care to read my posts, not just count them). I don't make excuses for either car. Regarding Auslandau, I wasn't having a dig at him, his posts just give me the impression that he's not being objective regarding VF vs FG so I'm not going to feed fuel into an un-winnable argument.

If you have anything else you'd like to discuss that isn't relevant to the thread, I'd prefer you PM me.
I've been here since 2005, I haven't needed to "get in with a Forum Director" in the past so I can't see why I would now.

What I find remarkable is you probably wrote that essay with a straight face.
Are you by any chance a fan or familiar with the tv show South Park?
There's an episode about Prius owners and their "smugness" to anything else, that's what your attitude in regards to the VF reminds me of.
As in because you drive one everything else is wrong cause well.. you drive a VF!

No issues otherwise with your ownership or general reviews of VF because I do find interest in that(How else do I learn?).
But I prefer the news to A Current Affair and I don't like being told how to think.

My interpretation of his posts is that he's fed up(pardon the pun) because this is a Ford forum, we like Ford's here.
Then people break out the "biast, one eyed, rose tinted glasses & of course unobjectional" like broken records when people don't talk about the VF as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It's pretty easy to say take it to PM after the aforementioned essay you wrote me.
I've gone 3kms north of offtopic with this reply and I think i've covered everything to not warrant anything else from me on this issue so you don't have to reply if don't want to.

Anyway on topic

I'm one of those that aspires to own an FPV & the notion to drop down to a standard Holden perplexes me.

I get it money talks and new toys are fun but that engine and driveline as well as the aftermarket potential not to mention the "badge cred" to me makes the FPV superior.
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #106
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa View Post
I've been here since 2005, I haven't needed to "get in with a Forum Director" in the past so I can't see why I would now.

What I find remarkable is you probably wrote that essay with a straight face.
Are you by any chance a fan or familiar with the tv show South Park?
There's an episode about Prius owners and their "smugness" to anything else, that's what your attitude in regards to the VF reminds me of.
As in because you drive one everything else is wrong cause well.. you drive a VF!

No issues otherwise with your ownership or general reviews of VF because I do find interest in that(How else do I learn?).
But I prefer the news to A Current Affair and I don't like being told how to think.

My interpretation of his posts is that he's fed up(pardon the pun) because this is a Ford forum, we like Ford's here.
Then people break out the "biast, one eyed, rose tinted glasses & of course unobjectional" like broken records when people don't talk about the VF as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It's pretty easy to say take it to PM after the aforementioned essay you wrote me.
I've gone 3kms north of offtopic with this reply and I think i've covered everything to not warrant anything else from me on this issue so you don't have to reply if don't want to.
I thanked your post, because it gave me a laugh Now moving on...
3 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #107
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
I thanked your post, because it gave me a laugh Now moving on...
That's what i'm here for.

-- Factory Manual
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #108
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post

Had hoped to have a drive report today, believe it or not some people like to make objective comparisons. Isn't going to happen for a few days now. Thanks for your suggestion on the other car but I'll take a pass on that...you never know there could just be a reason or three why they're such incredibly popular luxury cars. Please keep it on topic if you wish to make further comments on this thread, nobody has a gun to your head making you read the thread mate...
Your suggestion on the GTS or nothing added an intersting perspective.
have you thought about Kenworth?

plenty of killer wasps, and heaps of bottom end grunt.
and rumour has it, that it's pretty good at towing.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #109
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
have you thought about Kenworth?

plenty of killer wasps, and heaps of bottom end grunt.
and rumour has it, that it's pretty good at towing.
I hope you know why that's funny... Edit: Ah, you do, that's ok!

Not enough tech anyway. In fact, the FG has more...
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5

Last edited by jimt3te50; 26-02-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 26-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #110
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
My mistake Auslandau, forgive me, I thought we could have a mature, intelligent and constructive debate about the relative merits of the two cars. It appears this was an unrealistic expectation.
I would think of nothing better! So, I put a few points up on what I like in my Falcon and you totally rubbished it? My problem is, I have a different opinion and that is a problem? If it is accepted that others just might have a different opinion the thread might have continued?

Its OK to have a love fest on the VF but heaven forbid, someone says they prefer the crappy old, chassis depleted, lack of techo FG ...... they are biased, stupid and dont know what they are talking about? Yes, I am over the "Everyone must love the VF because they should, or they are stupid' fatuity. Let people like what they want like many other 'vs' threads before it but Bring up a Holden vs Ford thread, don't believe others will have the same view as yourself, and as this place is a Ford Forum, there will be some bias and strong opposing views from the fair majority as that is what they have and enjoy. Weird hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
So? Problem being ....... ? Am I a biased only because I like my FG over the VF? Obviously that makes me know nothing and just here to troll? Just because someone has a similar opinion to me, they are just saying it to suck up to admin? I have been contributing to this thread as a member of AFF and a very happy and satisfied owner of a GT335 ..... with an opinion on why I like my car.
Love my Fords, many here do. Do I apologise for this? Does everyone else who owns one also needs to? You also have a bias. towards the VF. Everyone has a bias towards something.

Having a bias is not a dirty word! You spat it out like it is? You do know that everyone has a bias towards something ........ Call it a leaning towards, a preference, what ever you want. It is all the same. People here do have a predilection towards Fords ..... and if you haven't figured that out by now, well really, what can I say

There are other threads going on with the same topic ...... for some reason, they seem to be travelling fine so continue in there. This thread has been derailed enough ...... yes, by me for sticking up for the Falcon and by others who think that only 1 opinion counts. Shame on me and I apologise!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 26-02-2014 at 11:47 PM.
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread