Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Will you be participating in 'Earth Hour' ?
Yes 31 26.96%
No 84 73.04%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #91
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

the net effect would be detrimental to the environment, as their decomposing carcasses would emit methane which is several score more times worse than CO2. Nature's cruel joke?

/me googles Soylent Green recipes
Old 01-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #92
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
the net effect would be detrimental to the environment, as their decomposing carcasses would emit methane which is several score more times worse than CO2. Nature's cruel joke?

/me googles Soylent Green recipes
But what about the level of methane that seems to be spewing all over this thread? Surely thats similar...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #93
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I don't feel guilty about polluting the internet with my thoughts :P
Old 01-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #94
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
Tomorrow night at 8pm people will be flicking their off switches. Will you be one of those people?
I had no choice but to participate. I forgot all about it and went to my sisters place - she switched everything off :
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 01-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #95
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Kudos to you for standing up for what you believe in. Great to see.

BUT

Davway is just having fun.

Secondly, it shouldn't take an annual day for people to look after this planet.

I've done Clean Up Australia Day for the past 2 years, and within 24 hours, there's already rubbish blowing around the place and more cigarette butts than hairs on my backside.

My point is that looking after this planet is about being responsible 365 days a year (be a dic|< on the 29th of Feb if you want) and not believing so forthright in a ****y 1 hour ****fest.

If you (not you personally) want to make a difference, then turn off your appliances off everyday, and don't keep lights on when you aren't in the room etc. and don't rely on some silly initiative that's meant to save the world.
Best post of the thread.

Ed
Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 AM   #96
gtfpv
GT

do you not think for a minute that , the pollies are watching the lights world wide , to see who is gullible enough to participate in earth hour , they actually calculate the power lapse during this time , and add satelite photographs to the equation , and work out GULLIBILITY, IF PEOPLE WILL TURN OFF LIGHTS, HOW MANY WILL ACCEPT TAXES FOR CARBON FOOTPRINTS.
big busineses would be shivering with excitement over this stuff.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #97
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
do you not think for a minute that , the pollies are watching the lights world wide , to see who is gullible enough to participate in earth hour , they actually calculate the power lapse during this time , and add satelite photographs to the equation , and work out GULLIBILITY, IF PEOPLE WILL TURN OFF LIGHTS, HOW MANY WILL ACCEPT TAXES FOR CARBON FOOTPRINTS.

Amen to that.
When you think about it, in Britain they tried this earth hour more recently. Official figures had the power consumption up as appliances consume more power on startup than on maintaining themselves when on. Added to this, are the spurious claims by those in the media who have always championed this earth hour as reducing power based solely on "feel good science"; and not based on any kind of facts. The biggest champion of this carbon crap is Al Gore, a man who has made billions even though he isn't aq scientist, and his models used in his film have no scientific basis whatsoever. Then you have the other nuts like Tim Flannery who is a paleantologist but now a self promoted climate expert. For the IPCC report, they had 1500 scientists that believed it was a man made phenomona. To each one of those 1500 were thousands which disagree and have proven that the science is flawed yet those people which have actual qualifications are labelled skeptics and discreddited. Then we have other nutters who say the sea will rise 100 metres if the ice melts when in fact, if you calculate the percentage of volume the ice is even without taking into account its displacement you are looking at 40cm.
Now, we have media lefties who love the global warming tripe which has no scientific evidence rebranding it as climate change due to the fact that the earth is cooling. They also then push the barrow for Kyoto, which will cost us billions. We have to pay carbon tax to a commission which is supposed to be independant, but in fact is set up and owned by you guessed it, Al Gore.
The fact that we indirectly are going to pay china for our pollution should peeve even the most ardent supporter of climate change off, yet that is what we'll be doing for signing up to a fraudulent and irresponsible luvvie fest.
Wait until the carbon tax of between 3 and 10 cents per litre appears on fuel whilst we suffer from cooler temperatures, and then wait until we are told that we have to pay for our Kyoto commitments.
But make no mistake, this whole global warming/climate change is about one thing and one thing only; Control.
The science is proven repeatedly to be flawed, the methods are flawed, the proponents are making billions and governments love people having fear which allows them to be popular. When this scam is finally debunked you will see a lot of people exposed and their finaincial interests in promoting it revealed. Just like Y2K, it's an absolute crock. One last thing, here in Australia we have all governments promoting it. Tell me, what is happening to power and water prices over the next couple of years? Wouldn't be global warming is an excuse for an over 60% price hike would it?

Quote:
Powered by GE

Last edited by ltd; 01-04-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #98
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
So now earth hour is a government conspiricy? :hihi:
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #99
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Just like Y2K, it's an absolute crock.
It wasn't an absolute crock. The company I worked for at the time would have had troubles with their computer systems past 1/1/2000 if we hadn't gone through it and fixed it. But then again, I'm sure people could had done without paint for a while.
It was completely and utterly blown out of proportion by the media, yes. Food would still be available as computers buggering up is not going to stop food from growing on plants and in the ground.

As for the whole global warming, I'm a skeptic. I don't think there is that big a problem at this point in time.

What are we worried about anyway? When we run out of fossil fuel, imaging the emissions that will disappear once we can't power our planes, trains and automobiles with fossil fuels! Problem Solvered.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #100
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
So now earth hour is a government conspiricy? :hihi:
my firend , nearly everything is a government conspiricy , with a TAX heavily tied to it.

on the other foot , we have only had combustion fossil fuel pollution ( as in motor cars for 110 years . the average australian household now have 2 cars , think of the next 30 years , when chinas economy supercedes americas , and chinese rice farmers now have ranches and roads with 2 car households , burning oil and fuel at the rate the west is . and then think of the black haze in our skies now , as compared to then in 30 to 100years time .
unfortunately the human race is only concerned with big business , scare mongering , profiteering , and taxes. so therefore MARK MY WORDS ( EVERYTHING IS A CONSPIRICY. ) :
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #101
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
It wasn't an absolute crock. (and the rest)
Agreed.

I love how people say, "Companies spent heaps of money on avoiding the "Millenium Bug", and nothing happened in the end!"

Well, that is why companies spent money...so nothing would happen!

It's the old "Prevention is better than cure" thingo.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #102
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Agreed.

I love how people say, "Companies spent heaps of money on avoiding the "Millenium Bug", and nothing happened in the end!"

Well, that is why companies spent money...so nothing would happen!

It's the old "Prevention is better than cure" thingo.
Maybe not. Some testing/proving needed to be done however nowhere near the extent that it was done.
For e.g. from personal experience, I was in a team "certifying" that things like CRT monitors, Mice, (The computer type), and FFS Desks, would be Y2K compliant. How the hell could a computer desk fail with a Y2k bug is beyond me. However we had to "check and certify" that all such items were "Y2k compliant" and log down the asset number, (serial number) and time the check was carried out.
So I am really sure that spending all that money esured that at least those desks and CRT's behaved
Old 01-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #103
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Didn't Earth hour finish 48 hours ago???...Why we still fighting people!!! If you did what you thought was right...Bless you...If you don't agree....bless ya too!!! Time to move on people....

Last edited by Geez Louise; 01-04-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #104
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I drove across the Harbour Bridge during Earth Hour. Dropped the car into second so it would rev at 4,000 rpm - just to hurt the environment.

According 104.1 2Day FM, Australia is the largest polluter of green house gases in the world (more than India, China, USA and cows). Missy Higgins rights acoustic songs so she doesn't use electricity on amps. And that Earth Hour saved the world a total of 5% of the total emissions in the world. I call BS on this.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
Old 01-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #105
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Now I'm watching Captain Planet on youtube. Who else reckons Wheeler should've thrown one up Linka?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #106
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Eruro henti Pr0n. Classy

Old 01-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #107
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Whilst we're on the topic, Gaia is a MILF
Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #108
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Reccon Mother Earth, Gaia & Linka would have been up for it?

Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #109
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Gaia was Mother Earth ;) Hence the MILF quip.

Azn chick was "Gi" or "Ki" I think?

Kwame, the african dude, would've demolished them all TamedTeens style
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #110
Walkinshaw
Two > One

on the note of Kwame and mother earth, wonder if Bangbrothers were involved in Earth hour?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #111
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

.lol.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #112
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Captain Planet must be a Brazzers man
Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #113
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Oh back on trak guys.

Did any one get a first time video of the lights going off the bridge?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #114
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I forgot about earth hour, didn't take part. It is kind of funny how people think turning the lights off for an hour will save the world, even funnier that people use this as an excuse for "parties" they were saying on the radio Saturday morning that they would be having street parties with cards by candle light. If they want to save the world don't drive, actually don't own a car as a crap load of energy is used and pollution created when they are built. Should also not own a TV for same reasons, use of energy and energy used to build, actually if they really want to do the world good, go live out bush. How much of an impact on the world would building a house cause? probably a bit more then saved when you turn your lights out for an hour.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #115
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

semi-back on topic, beastclub.com postponed a cruise that was planned on the night of Earth Hour, not quite an electricity consumption gig but delaying the burning of fossil fuels?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:14 AM   #116
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

All I wanna say is that drinking and playing pool by candle light in a bar is not cool!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #117
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
Did any one get a first time video of the lights going off the bridge?
I believe I saw a copy of one or 2 on redtube or youtube, something like that. BTAS FTW

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Closed Thread