Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #91
SVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
another rice burner, great. I watched the lexus thing on top gear. Nice car. I think it seemed to be like an add, sponsored by you know who.
If i had that coin for a car i wouldn,t buy one. The Japs try hard, but it seems you can,t buy prestige.
A rice burner? seriously? pull your head outta your ***... i'd like to see any aussie factory car compete against it, even an american factory car, short of a Ford GT or the sort i don't think it'd go down quietly...

Oh also, where can i get predigee from?
and whats an apperentaship?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #92
Pis-ton broke
Banned

IMO= In, my, opinion. just cause its different from yours doesn,t mean you need to be rude, "pull your head outta your ***" we are (i though so) all friends on here, so carm down mate. But you can say that as you are on the end of a computer.

Anyway , my point is Lexus is the new kid on the block as far is "prestige" goes. someone said since 1990, 20 years. wow, big deal. Check out some of these cars, they have a racing pedigee. and now they still race and make proper prestige cars.

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...ati_racing.htm

http://www.remarkablecars.com/for-sa...at/6676/page/2

love mick
Old 05-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #93
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The Mustang didn't pedigree when it first was released....same with alot of other cars.

The point is, this is a good car, no matter how you look at it.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #94
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it looks and is based on the supra from way back when they started developing it.So at the end of the day its V10 supra that goes well to celebrate their failure in formula 1 and costs more than anyone would pay for a rice burning P.O.S. Nice work at missing the point completely Toyota

Last edited by tezxr8man; 05-06-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #95
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The Mustang didn't pedigree when it first was released....same with alot of other cars.

The point is, this is a good car, no matter how you look at it.

Yes but the mustang was a cheap entry level car, and still is. You have to be a millionaire to own this thing.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #96
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

and they are all sold out so clearly people that have the money think differently to a few on here, and that's a good business case for toyota/lexus... well a better business case than holdens attempt at being prestige and selling less than a quarter of the proposed W427's.....

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 06-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #97
JimNiki
71Mach1

Ok, it's a great performing supercar ... then why is this forum split as to its status?
Tell me what is it with Toyota that that people can't accept?

It's not a Ford vs Toyota thing cause I'd say the Holden forum users would be having the same arguments.

I have a theory. I'd say us older people (40 >) grew up with Aussie Ford and Holden only musclecars. It was Ford or Holden ... What else was there?
This is where us oldies are coming from? The younger generation (the future of this country) don't really have this allegiance to one side or another. They have a lot more variety in performance cars. Grey imports didn't exist in our day. The new hero car is Godzilla, ours was the Hoey. Even us oldies have grudging respect for Nissan as many of us believe that the Bathurst rules were changed because the rice burners were beating us at our own game. (That's another story). But where was Toyota all this time? Importing Cressida's for old people. Sure they're making progress with Lexus, F1, some quick rice rockets, etc, but they're not there yet. Nobody has "TOYOTA = performance" entrenched into their phyche. It may happen in 20 years? 50 years? By then the dirty fuel burning Hoey hero car may be completely irrelevant and obsolete.
It will happen, it's just a matter of time. But Toyota now have one new supercar. That's a start, but no-one's surprised are they? They are the number 1 auto manufacturer.
Now they need to create "history" with these types of cars, eg: start winning races, etc.
So then in 20 years time, they will have developed some pedigree and prestige.

But for me, being an "old" bloke on average wages, I turn my head when I hear a nice V8 tune. And if it comes from an affordable Aussie built car (preferably Ford), then it puts a smile on my face. I don't expect others to feel the same way, cause we've all got our own unique circumstances. Tell us why YOU are the way you are...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 06-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #98
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Ok, it's a great performing supercar ... then why is this forum split as to its status?

It's not a Ford vs Toyota thing cause I'd say the Holden forum users would be having the same arguments.

I have a theory. I'd say us older people (40 >) grew up with Aussie Ford and Holden only musclecars. It was Ford or Holden ... What else was there?
This is where us oldies are coming from? The younger generation (the future of this country) don't really have this allegiance to one side or another. They have a lot more variety in performance cars. Grey imports didn't exist in our day. The new hero car is Godzilla, ours was the Hoey. Even us oldies have grudging respect for Nissan as many of us believe that the Bathurst rules were changed because the rice burners were beating us at our own game. (That's another story). But where was Toyota all this time? Importing Cressida's for old people. Sure they're making progress with Lexus, F1, some quick rice rockets, etc, but they're not there yet. Nobody has "TOYOTA = performance" entrenched into their phyche. It may happen in 20 years? 50 years? By then the dirty fuel burning Hoey hero car may be completely irrelevant and obsolete.
It will happen, it's just a matter of time. But Toyota now have one new supercar. That's a start, but no-one's surprised are they? They are the number 1 auto manufacturer.
Now they need to create "history" with these types of cars, eg: start winning races, etc.
So then in 20 years time, they will have developed some pedigree and prestige.

But for me, being an "old" bloke on average wages, I turn my head when I hear a nice V8 tune. And if it comes from an affordable Aussie built car (preferably Ford), then it puts a smile on my face. I don't expect others to feel the same way, cause we've all got our own unique circumstances. Tell us why YOU are the way you are...
im from nz, where pretty much every car is an import, no matter what badge it has... and a quick jap import is cheaper to buy and run than say a ford V8... i like my fords, but im not that one eyed i cant see the good cars being built by other manufacturers.

some of the comments in here would be funny if they wernt so backwards, or bordering on downright racist.

also ive noticed some people base their anti jap car perceptions on cars sold here in oz in the 80s... when, correct me if im wrong, most were assembled here from ckd kits, not fully imported? i know the fit and finish of older jap cars here is a lot worse than the jap imports back home.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #99
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Ok. Nobody has "TOYOTA = performance" entrenched into their phyche...
I do, 2000gt, early celicas, Celica GT-4, AE86, etc

I'm opened minded enough to accept Toyota's efforts, very close to buying a 1uz Celsior, but the House won, lol! Also a 1uz powerd cressida for sale intown that tempted me...

The 1uz and 1-2jz engines are respected...it's a shame that people are too stubborn to recognise Toyota/Lexus as a serious company. And the LFA is a better car then Ford could make, just some people haven't got the grey matter to accept that...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #100
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I'd unlikely want to own one of their washing machines but any manufacturer that puts out a car of this level of performance and refinement, I'd evaluate on its merits. I'd gladly take one of these if money was no object. I love the look, I love the noise, I love the performance.

While some may call me shortsighted because I'd consider this but wouldn't consider an Aurion, there are others that will either outright dismiss it because it's a Toyota and others that will because it's not a Ford. We all have our standards, some are a little looser that others. :P
Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #101
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
. And the LFA is a better car then Ford could make, just some people haven't got the grey matter to accept that...
It costs USD$375,000, the Ford GT cost near a third of that when it was in production, and the Corvette ZR1 is near a quarter of that. Both of which lap the 'ring in similar times as the LFA....
Also remember the Ford was somewhat compromised because of the retro look, and the ZR1 is based on a mass produced sports car. Yet the LFA is 100% completely purpose built supercar, and is not quicker than Ford or GMs effort.

So im not so sure about Ford not being able to build something comparable.....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #102
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No matter what Toyota does, it will never be sexy!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #103
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
It costs USD$375,000, the Ford GT cost near a third of that when it was in production, and the Corvette ZR1 is near a quarter of that. Both of which lap the 'ring in similar times as the LFA....
Also remember the Ford was somewhat compromised because of the retro look, and the ZR1 is based on a mass produced sports car. Yet the LFA is 100% completely purpose built supercar, and is not quicker than Ford or GMs effort.

But I bet it would be more reliable than the Ford effort
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #104
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm dunno about that that,.........
Old 06-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #105
Fireblade
Wizard Member

There's a guy here in Adelaide with a Ford GT, hasn't been able to drive it since taking delivery because of a faulty key, Ford US want the car sent back and he refuses to send it back so it has been sitting for a while now not being started. Not the only one I have heard of with this same problem.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #106
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin

Consider also the design principals and materials put into the LF-A versus the other two.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #107
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

I think people are being over critical.

When you look at the amount of technology in the car, and the idea's included in the design, and the fact that it isn't slow buy any means, it is in no way a car not worth its money.

What you are buying is basically a Concept car that you can drive, a technology hotbed.

Aston Martin One-77 is more compareable then your average ferrari.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #108
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But if you buy a Ferrari California, you are buying style and character. I feel that this Lexus is for geeks.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #109
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
But I bet it would be more reliable than the Ford effort

More parts to it the more that can go wrong. Ford has proved itself in every form of motorsport.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #110
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
More parts to it the more that can go wrong. Ford has proved itself in every form of motorsport.
race cars != road cars.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #111
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaffy
I dunno, I don't think this fits boring...
Toyota are the masters of boredom.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #112
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
race cars != road cars.

Those race cars your could buy. GT40 beat them all at le mans. Heny Ford himself raced his early designs to success.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #113
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
from dictionary.com
having or showing success, rank, wealth, etc.
Lexus can be described as all these. They have had immense success from day dot. They are ranked in number 1 for quality prestigious cars and have a very large budget.
I'm not the thick one. The dictionary even agrees with me.
Egg on your face much??

I'd say you need to learn to spell better and learn to use grammar before trying to lecture others on the meaning of words.
I'd agree that Lexus does not have much in the way of prestige. You can buy cheap entry level version for what, 50k.

Ferraris and Lambos sell entry level version starting at 400k. Owners need to be millionaires. Anyone who makes over 70k could probably afford a cheap new Lexus.

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Maybach. Thats true prestige, out of the reach of the common man.

Thats what Top Gear were reffering too when they said its just a Lexus. It has nowhere near the level of cache as the above mentioned.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #114
Fireblade
Wizard Member

When was the last time Ford was in F1?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #115
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Maybe 10 years ago if you consider Jaguar F1 was funded by Ford after they renamed Stewart F1 which they owned?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #116
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Sorry not Jaguar but Ford? Someone said ford has been proven in all forms of motorsport
Old 06-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #117
Bossxr8
Peter Car

As I said, Stewart was a Ford team, before they became Jaguar.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #118
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Toyota does nothing for me cause they've got nothing I want.

Show me something locally made with a V8 and RWD and I'll listen.

Not competing in that market? Oh, Ok, no probs, call me when you are ...(yawn)
Pull your head in hava look around at well maybe THIS
Old 06-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #119
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Pull your head in hava look around at well maybe THIS
as much as i agree with you, he did say 'locally made'...
Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #120
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
as much as i agree with you, he did say 'locally made'...
Yep noticed that but its from almost the same marque you could say
Closed Thread