Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #91
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The real 'last Monaro' is finally sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
I've had my CV8 since new - April 2004. It's only travelled 64,000 k's in that time & has not given me any issues/problems.
Here's a few things to be aware of ;
- The CV6 models weren't around for long as most buyers wanted the V8. This makes them a little scarce & of course they will be early 2002/2003 models.
- There isn't a great deal of fuel usage difference between the supercharged V6 & V8 engines.
- Earlier V8 models (up to end of 2003) have occassional oil usage/piston slap problems. Any model from 2004 onwards will have the revised piston & skirt which solved this issue.
- Check rear passenger foot wells for water penetration. Early models (V6 & V8) have been known to leak via insufficient underbody sealer. This was rectified in all models from mid 2003 onwards.
Personally I'd recommend you get the CV8 - purely for resale value. The CV6 will only attract a limited market - but your call at the end of the day.
They didn't fix the water leak in the rear one! I know because I my mate was ****ed off last week he still couldn't find the leak in the back of his cv8z
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #92
dogfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
2 door Commodore, nothing more, nothing less
Actually Nothing Like a Commodore my Missus wanted a 2003 CV8R and I found her a good 6spd manual 1of 150 made, These things are horrible to drive on wet roads and the commodore handles better around bends at higher speeds especially in the wet even with the traction on the rear end still gets loose, Frankly I don't know how they got them approved (ADR) and its not just tyre selection trying all sorts of brands to stop it being woeful to drive.
I hate cars that don't handle and I am not confident in this at speeds but it is still a nice car though at least it will never date as badly as a Walkinshaw (Knight Rider ERA HAHAHA)

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #93
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers fellahs, really appreciate all the input & advice. I will continue saving the $$$$$
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #94
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the world of shorter wheelbase cars. Chargers used to be a bit tail happy because of the shorter wheelbase over the car they were based on.

I've always been amused by the "it's just a two door Commodore" statements...yes, it is...as was the original Monaro just a two door Kingswood when you get down to brass tacks. Doesn't make them any less a car...and would you also call the Falcon coupes "just a two door Falcon"...?

I still think Holden shot themselves in the foot a bit by not following the lead of the original Monaro and making it in everything from a true "two door Commodore" right up to the prestige models. Plenty of people at the time said they'd love to pay a small premium over a "normal" Commodore to have the two door styling, even if it was a V6 with ordinary interior and trim. The original Monaro was available right down to a cheap bargain-basement one with the 161 six, three on the tree, bench seats, vinyl flooring, and the plain rectangular Kingswood speedo, combined with steel wheels and plain Holden hubcaps.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 21-10-2012 at 02:18 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #95
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Doesn't make them any less a car...and would you also call the Falcon coupes "just a two door Falcon"...?
you are correct but the xa-xc coupes and the charger had a shell that was totally different to the sedan versions
the xm-xp, most valiants and monaro coupes were virtually sedans with the rear doors welded up . . . visually at least. there is no mistaking an xa-c coupe or charger from any distance when looking from the side. the others i mentioned isn't quite as easy

and the xa-xc coupe had rear windows that wound down too
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post