Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #91
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So much discussion over a fine that has not been issued. Wait until it arrives (if ever ) then discuss it . Until then this is pure conjecture read: B/S .Lets not waste any more time on it.
Cheers
GT450
Old 27-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #92
TickedEFSix

Nothing wrong with being informed about possible solutions to a potential problem...
Old 27-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #93
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I love these keyboard lawer threads, they always brighten my day

For a start, did you see him write down your details? If he did not write them down in his notebook, there will be no fine. He would need a written record of your details to remember who you were. Wait to see the fine and then follow the process if you want to fight it.

The mention that you went through the roundabouts "fast but not dangerous" could suggest that you did exceed 60, think hard. Was there any time, and not just the moment you saw red and blue that you could have been doing over 60? His assessment of your speed probably wasn't when you were up the hill, it may have been near or between the roundabouts.

As for the uniform thing, utter BS. Even an off duty cop in shorts and t shirt can inform you that you have commited and offence and give you directions as appropriate, provided they correctly identify themselves. I have seen this in action with a cop friend that is a cyclist, one of us got cut off and hit by a car overtaking us and turning left in front of us. Our cop buddy arranged a nice fat ticket for the fool after showing his WAPOL ID.

Another example of this is in my job, I am a paramedic and as such I can legally give any person a direction in the conduct of my duties. It is an offence under the Ambulance Services Act to fail to comply to those directions. I can also stop at an incident in off duty hours and render assistance with full legal coverage provided I notify ambulance communications of my presence and the time that I arrived as soon as convenient (obviously not while I am still trying to control haemorrhage etc). After this notification my times are then recorded on the shift log. With this concept in mind, if I was to stop at a traffic crash and instruct you to move your vehicle to a safe area or for you to exit your vehicle, after identifying myself as a paramedic, you must comply and it is an offence to not do so. I do not have to be in uniform or on duty. A cop still has a duty to enforce the law when he is not on duty and as the ability to do so when he has identified himself as a police officer.

As for the hat and the yellow vest, yeah try that on as I am sure the magistrate will love a good laugh and having his time wasted.

Same goes for the asking for adjournment, magistrates love wasting time. Yes the cop does get paid, just as I get paid when I have to appear in court to provide evidence at trials. In fact if it is outside my normal work hours and the roster can not be modified to accomodate the court time, it is overtime and I get paid even more.
Old 27-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #94
xtreme
V8 Addict

i was definitely not ever doing over 60. i am always paranoid of that particular street as it is notorious for police and/or speed cameras....when i drove through the roundabouts, i was not speeding, but since no cars were on the road, there was no need to stop to give way. it was only the sort of driving that if cops were having a bad day, they might pull you over and warn you to be a bit more careful

anyway, ill leave it at that, and let you all know if i get a fine in the mail...thanks for everyones input.

My Collection:

The WEEKENDER:
1968 XT Fairmont (GT rep) - 351 clevo, pacemakers, 2.5" twin system, C10 auto, 2500 Hi-Stall, 3.45:1 LSD, 198 rwkw

The DAILY:
2003 BA GT, Citric Acid, exhaust, headers, cold air intake, 248 rwkw
Old 27-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #95
Wally
XP Coupe

My son received a nicely hand written infringement notice with fine amount in the mail the other week, from a copper. My son had no idea what it was about, but seeing as you can't beat city hall he paid it and moved on with whatever generation Y do when they aren't complaining about their parent's wealth.
Old 27-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #96
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
My son received a nicely hand written infringement notice with fine amount in the mail the other week, from a copper. My son had no idea what it was about, but seeing as you can't beat city hall he paid it and moved on with whatever generation Y do when they aren't complaining about their parent's wealth.
This should read 'Assumed' wealth
Old 27-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #97
CPOCSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme
it isnt the money, it is the 3 demerit points i will lose, maybe more if i get booked for going over 20k's....i know legal aid is free, but do you still have to pay court costs even if you win?

I'm also a bit worried that if i get booked for 25k's, that is loss of liscence
Mate I hate to burst your bubble but Legal Aid is not free. They use a discretionary system where you elect to pay an amount to the Coffers for them to take up your case. Legal Aid is only free if you are going to go up for a major boo boo.

Trust me - I DO know how the Legal Aid system works...you may get someone who will do it pro bono but figure on adding a MINIMUM of $65 on top of the fine if you do lose

Bottom line advice for you is - pay the fine if/when you get it (if you dont get it - then all is good) and take it on the chin...the 3 points is another issue but I drove around on 1 point for 12 months when I was a young fella - sobered my driving habits up very quickly!

This isnt a personal attack - but personally if you get a right royal of a magistrate, you will be sore and sorry. Court costs are quite steep and it will hurt you wayyyy more than your original fine.

I thik the thread has run its course as we are getting some very dangerous stuff here. :rolleyes:
Old 27-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #98
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I love these keyboard lawer threads, they always brighten my day
Wow that’s a contradiction if i have ever seen one... Are you a solicitor or barrister too?

Xtreme I wouldn’t worry about it for now, but if you do get something in the mail, id suggest getting legal aid.
Old 27-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #99
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

We are done here
Closed Thread