Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #991
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
the system seems to be quite a good one.....however so is the price! I have seen 5 kilowatt systems advertised here for around the $9,000.00 mark with a similar warranty my advice.....shop around a bit more for a similar quality system but a much better price
Everything is 3 phase so I guess that makes a difference.
Thats my 3rd option poppa. obtain some more quotes and try for a better price. Zen Energy want to put 28 panels up. This is becuase the panels are only 190kw so It will cost more there I suspect. Because they all do different brans, its hard to get 2 quotes for the same gear. You cant just ask for a quote on system "x" because some will have system "y" and others a mix of "x" and "y". So one needs to sift their way through it all. At this stage I think I will be dropping the idea of a battery setup later on. That will reduce the price of the Inverter. Thanks for your reply poppa
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #992
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all we can do is to obtain separate quotes for similar systems

similar in output and quality

there are many places selling solar now

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #993
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
all we can do is to obtain separate quotes for similar systems

similar in output and quality

there are many places selling solar now
Agreed!!!

Im comparing energy matters, AGL and origin at this point as they all seem to provide a quality system and should be around the next 25yrs compared to others out there in Sydney NSW
Old 30-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #994
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure how far you have gone with getting quotes but this is not a bad spot

http://www.solarquotes.com.au

this is a spot for a fair bit of knowledge

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au

simply type in solar installers for your area and start grabbing some quotes

trouble is that major companies can fold overnight so I really don't know what the outcome will be as far as the warranty is concerned

I've seen some big one's bight the dust since I started looking

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 30-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #995
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have three phase, then the import/export meter costs more. I reckon the $650 mark sounds about right from what I was told when I enquired. Luckily I only have single phase so it's going to be the $350 mark for me.
That installation is also charged by ETSA and paid for through your energy provider (E.g. Origin, AGL, etc.) ETSA add that cost on to your next electricity bill after it's installed. It's not an upfront cost to get the solar panels put on the roof.
Old 30-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #996
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine was billed direct through the mail from ETSA

Old 30-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #997
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, that was what I was told by the installer. I'll find out soon I guess as the meter goes in next week.
Old 31-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #998
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, has anyone done a second solar install in NSW since June 30 ?

I am trying to find what prices are avail, but most say it is the same as before, and 2-3000 more expensive per KW than the advertised prices.

I was expecting that the advertised price for an initial install would be same as for a second install (assuming I do not have extra capacity on my Inverter).
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #999
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Well, that was what I was told by the installer. I'll find out soon I guess as the meter goes in next week.

I will never forget, the arrogant ETSA techy told me, in no uncertain terms that "the bill will be in the mail" and to "make sure you pay it on time"

the billing may have changed now but my understanding is that the meter has nothing to do with your retailer, all substations, lines, meters and poles belong to ETSA

Old 31-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #1000
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG

I am trying to find what prices are avail, but most say it is the same as before, and 2-3000 more expensive per KW than the advertised prices.

I was expecting that the advertised price for an initial install would be same as for a second install (assuming I do not have extra capacity on my Inverter).
a second install or extension should be cheaper I would have thought as prices have reduced a little

Old 31-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #1001
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not sure how far you have gone with getting quotes but this is not a bad spot

http://www.solarquotes.com.au

this is a spot for a fair bit of knowledge

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au

simply type in solar installers for your area and start grabbing some quotes

trouble is that major companies can fold overnight so I really don't know what the outcome will be as far as the warranty is concerned

I've seen some big one's bight the dust since I started looking
AGL have made a big investment and bought out a solar company so i dont expect them going anywhere anytime soon...

Not sure about origin or energy matter as yet!!!
Old 31-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #1002
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think you would be safe with either of those companies provided the prices were competitive

if, however, they were to sell off the solar "arm" of their network or perhaps the whole company were to be sold off then would the warranty still be in effect

this happens in corporations all the time and can happen overnight.......

I think solar has a massive future, but, and it is a massive but, if bluegen becomes a little bit cheaper we may see a mass exodus in solar and thus a mass exodus in solar retail and warranties within these companies

however, as i say, I would be more than happy purchasing a system off them if the price is competitive

Old 31-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #1003
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
a second install or extension should be cheaper I would have thought as prices have reduced a little
It would be more expensive as you don't get the RECS on a second install if you have already claimed them for the first install.
Old 31-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #1004
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
It would be more expensive as you don't get the RECS on a second install if you have already claimed them for the first install.
well given the fall in solar prices since my install (and that is all I can comment on) they are much cheaper

in fact if I was to extend my output by installing another 10 kilowatts it would cost me some $10,299

my initial system of 3.5 kilowatt cost $13,500 not counting electrical upgrades

this price is with the new prices and without REC's

I know because I have spoken to a couple of mobs about this and if it wasn't for the fact of me losing my FIT I would upgrade........taking my input to 13.5 kilowatts

I have found that the prices have dropped so far as to disregard the discount of REC'S and if I mentioned that I have already received my REC'S the price stays the same

Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #1005
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahh first day of spring yesterday nice and sunny here on beautiful yorke peninsular 4kw system 16x 250w panels 5kw inverter 22.10kwh's production daily use average 15kwh's let the good times roll.gotta love it when a plan comes together!!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #1006
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! $4.80 ahead after heavy heater use from the night before......

ah! spring, when an old mans thoughts turn to .....ummmmm!!! solar output!!!!

what have we become??????

Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #1007
prydey
Rob

panels going on as i type. unfortunately, the reality of the situation is a little different to the theory. the sales guy just looks up google maps and nearmaps and measures your available roof space, and then determines how many panels will fit, and where.

i was told 20 panels would all fit on the north face, but the bad news is, they wont. well they would, but there would be bad shadowing for most of the day from my a/c unit, so the installer has recommended 9 of them go on the west face. even though its not as efficient, it is still more efficient than a shaded north face.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #1008
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would be on the phone demanding discount for their failure to properly access the site you are now paying for a system that wont deliver what they promised
Old 03-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #1009
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
i would be on the phone demanding discount for their failure to properly access the site you are now paying for a system that wont deliver what they promised
nah, thats not me. they would have fitted on the north face but after discussing the shading issues i would have from my a/c, it was deemed better to put 9 on the west face. sure, they will be slightly less efficient, but will still be more efficient than being in the shade on the north side.

the panels are connected in a 'string' and they are only as good as the worst performing panel, so if 1 panel gets shaded, it drags down the whole string.

its all good to me. after all up and running it was pumping out up to 3.4kw (3.8system) so even with 9 on the west face, it still ok.

the installers turned it off until the smart meter is installed. apparently they used to just leave them on but there were some complaints about odd meter readings from some customers so now they are told to turn them off. (the installer did whisper that i could turn it back on once he goes).

i also learned that inverters work best when they are maxed out, so not sure why True Value Solar do these 'upgradeable' systems. i was unaware of that until today and was told that even though that is the case, its not a massive difference. time will tell i guess.

anyways, for those playing along at home i have used

True Value Solar.
5kw Growatt inverter
20x190watt sunowe panels.

5yr warranty on inverter
25yr warranty on panels, performing at 90% for 12yrs and 80% after 25.

total cost $6494.

yes, there is some negative feedback about this mob but i have zero complaints so far. will keep you updated.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #1010
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you did the right thing.....they will mount them as per instructions but it is far better to get the max out of the panel by avoiding shading

just be careful about firing up the system on a standard meter......I've heard stories of the input being calculated as a "use" and thereby obtaining larger bill

some meters will run backwards.......observation would be the key

Old 03-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #1011
prydey
Rob

Quote:
just be careful about firing up the system on a standard meter......I've heard stories of the input being calculated as a "use" and thereby obtaining larger bill

some meters will run backwards.......observation would be the key
yeah, this is what they told me and why they now turn them off when they leave. i have a meter that turns backward though which is why he 'may' have mentioned that it would be safe for me to turn on after they'd gone, if i wished.

i took note of the reading anyway just to make sure it doesn't do silly buggers on me.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #1012
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep......24 hours should be enough to tell if it has turned back

you would be aware of how much your average use has been up to now so, with a comparison, you could easily tell

good luck with the system.......keep us up to date

Old 03-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #1013
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bumgar - nobody in the same place as me then

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG

EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #1014
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Just got an email from EM to let me know that my panels are being upgraded as compensation for the delay of installation. Pretty good going as I wont be looking for the installation until probably Christmas time anyway, so dont mind waiting.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #1015
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Just got an email from EM to let me know that my panels are being upgraded as compensation for the delay of installation. Pretty good going as I wont be looking for the installation until probably Christmas time anyway, so dont mind waiting.
When did you sign or give them the go ahead???
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #1016
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in vic its not worth making any more power than you use. 6 cents is the back to the grid price here now. That wont even cover the cost of the ~$1 a day fixed service cost of electricity if you have a big system in summer!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #1017
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
So in vic its not worth making any more power than you use. 6 cents is the back to the grid price here now. That wont even cover the cost of the ~$1 a day fixed service cost of electricity if you have a big system in summer!
i would imagine this will have the effect of really impacting the price of the systems after a while.

all these industries are based on supply v demand, and with rebates being reduced and feed in tariff's reduced or disappearing, the demand will take a sharp turn south.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #1018
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i would imagine this will have the effect of really impacting the price of the systems after a while.

all these industries are based on supply v demand, and with rebates being reduced and feed in tariff's reduced or disappearing, the demand will take a sharp turn south.
and as we all know that is the precise outcome that is required by guvco and big business

the other way to do it is to go "off grid"......a battery system with generator backup

had a quote for mine.......roughly $12,000......these mongrels keep upping the price and I'll tell them where to shove their lines

greed is not good

Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #1019
prydey
Rob

i believe thats only available to rural areas isn't it?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #1020
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i believe thats only available to rural areas isn't it?
no, I am talking to a feller who sells and installs in Clare about it.......we have a plan.....the TV tower will come down and the footprint left from that will be the exact size needed for the batteries, inverter/charger and gen set

he's a good bloke and knows his stuff......but as I say.....only thinking about it at this stage

my wish is for bluegen but they are too damn dear as yet