Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #61
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As of yesterday BP have moved into the shopping centres.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #62
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drone
Have to take it into perspective guys. I knock on doors myself for promotions. Someone has to do it. If it seems like we are pushy, we are not trying to be. The reason we ask and confirm a few times is because VERY often a person will be interested in what you have/offering if you had asked a second time. It is human nature to say no the first time. To anything!

How do you think we feel when, when before having said anything that person will say "Not interested" and shut the door. Don't even give us a chance? We're not all the same.
. When you been through what my family has in the past 12 months, the last thing you need is an unnecessary knock on the door, you immediately expect the worst. That, and my dog gets upset.

Un-invited door knocking should be made illegal and friends should always phone first, as a courtesy thing.

Last edited by Laminge; 13-03-2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Not needed
Old 13-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #63
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Un-invited door knocking should be made illegal and friends should always phone first, as a courtesy thing.

Geez......... next you'll say the postie needs a swipe card to deliver your mail.....................

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #64
holmsy
Banned

i have allways said im not interested or the parents arent home. except when i decided id be nice to this little old man talkin bout relgion. i jus didnt wana say **** off.
but damn 20 minutes latter i wish i had have said **** off.

and i dont like people selling things. on the rare ocasion my dad listens to them and considers signing up. they still decide they have to dick you around and not give u staight honest answers. we have had to literaly kick people out of our house beacause they would not give us honest answers and would not listen.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #65
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are many better ways to get a product or promotion out there? Perhaps. But with that state of mind, you can say that about any type of selling. Telemarketing? I'm sure you love that as well.. It is done because it is effective. It works, it's proven. If it was something you were interested in you wouldn't say it was "disturbing your peace and quiet"..
If it was something I were interested in? I'd 1) probably already have one and 2) buy it at a shop where I can take it back if I have an issue with it.

Personally I've never bought anything from a door to door salesman. My wife has and I go beserk when she does. I generally can get the product cheaper elsewhere. I get her to cancel the contract within 24 hours.

Better sales can be done via a phamphlet drop, internet website and via word of mouth sales. I've used the interest to make business sales and word of mouth before and they work very well. No need to go door to door as all it does is **** people off which hurts sales.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #66
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go baby Go
Geez......... next you'll say the postie needs a swipe card to deliver your mail.....................
How does that work?
Old 13-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #67
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The credit card guys (AMEX) are at Sydney airport too. I sometimes speak to them when waiting for a flight (nothing better to do), get them really interested saying salary is $500K+...then when I am bored suddenly look at my watch, panic and yell "OMG I am going to miss my flight" whilst running away...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #68
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
The credit card guys (AMEX) are at Sydney airport too. I sometimes speak to them when waiting for a flight (nothing better to do), get them really interested saying salary is $500K+...then when I am bored suddenly look at my watch, panic and yell "OMG I am going to miss my flight" whilst running away...
AMEX are bloody the most annoying company out there ATM. Not only are they in every nook and cranny of public places, I have been recieveing "forms to suck you into debt" from them every 2-3 mths since my early uni days until now, w/o fail! Bloody hell, I'm a uni student, what make you think I can afford a AMEX gold card? No wonder they need to be everywhere. Nobody likes them becauseof high card fees and interest and most shops hate them too because of higher commissions. Beats me how they stay in business considering Visa and MC are much more preferable for everyone.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #69
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I was on the other side of town today in Heathmont I normally use Mobil synergy, I stopped at the BP there as I was putting fuel in my car when I was approached by a young man wanting to spray this stuff on my car, there was 3 persons in all fronting customers to use this aerosol in a can car wash.
I told him to go away I use Megs he said what about my windows and wheels.
Surely this type of selling dosnt work any more..Its just a pain in the a#s..
For me back to a Mobil next time.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #70
One Drone
Lane HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
If it was something I were interested in? I'd 1) probably already have one and 2) buy it at a shop where I can take it back if I have an issue with it.

Personally I've never bought anything from a door to door salesman. My wife has and I go beserk when she does. I generally can get the product cheaper elsewhere. I get her to cancel the contract within 24 hours.

Better sales can be done via a phamphlet drop, internet website and via word of mouth sales. I've used the interest to make business sales and word of mouth before and they work very well. No need to go door to door as all it does is **** people off which hurts sales.
I know how you feel mate. It doesn't work on everyone of course. I get people to tell me to ******* off all the time. But you move on. Don't let one person bother you. The company I am in and various other companies wouldn't be multi million dollar companies (i.e. Avon) if they didn't do what they do.

If you had a look at it this way. Your wife buys something from a door to door salesman. Sure, you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere. However, to some people, not all, think they save time by getting it that way. Time is money after all is it not?
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #71
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
AMEX are bloody the most annoying company out there ATM. Not only are they in every nook and cranny of public places, I have been recieveing "forms to suck you into debt" from them every 2-3 mths since my early uni days until now, w/o fail! Bloody hell, I'm a uni student, what make you think I can afford a AMEX gold card? No wonder they need to be everywhere. Nobody likes them becauseof high card fees and interest and most shops hate them too because of higher commissions. Beats me how they stay in business considering Visa and MC are much more preferable for everyone.
Plenty of uni students have AMEX gold cards, their parents pay them off for them each month. Spoilt prats.
Old 14-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #72
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Have to take it into perspective guys. I knock on doors myself for promotions. Someone has to do it. If it seems like we are pushy, we are not trying to be. The reason we ask and confirm a few times is because VERY often a person will be interested in what you have/offering if you had asked a second time. It is human nature to say no the first time. To anything!

How do you think we feel when, when before having said anything that person will say "Not interested" and shut the door. Don't even give us a chance? We're not all the same.

How many people are interested? Your Type should be banned along with Telemarketers, the only people who are interested in this type of marketing are dole bludgers with nothing else to do, the rest of us after a hard days work don't need some (usually SMART ASSSS) knocking on the door when we are about to have dinner.

Its a disgrace and I very much doubt companies do that well out of it.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #73
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I do - And it works EVERY TIME is to say to the representative.
"OK yeh sure! but first I would like to sing a song for you, cough cough", *start singing a song, preferrably an old English song like White Cliffs of Dover* Make a real effort with the singing too, hand on the heart whislt raising the other.
Very quickly the person trying to sell you something gets a dose of their own medicine - An unprovoked attack that is very embarrasing and hard to get away from.
I love watching there face glow bright red and all they can do is stand there and watch as you seranade them.
Although my girlfriend thinks im weird when she is wondering why im taking so long in the shop to pay for the fuel and when she turns to look inside there I am singing falseto to some stranger. But meh! who cares.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #74
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I might be a rude p$%k but I always just walk straight past them and shake my head and mouth "no". If they come to the door, as soon as they start I say "no thanks" and shut it in their face. If the phone rings and it is someone I dont know selling I just hang up withought saying anything.

Not sure why people stop walking, if they block your path, walk around them.
Old 14-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #75
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

You're welcome at my doorstep anytime One Drone.

What items do you sell? I especially enjoy rusty articles (particularly spoons); I also enjoy blood (or as I call it, "the red water"), dirty water taps, and nettles, the sting of which I find pleasurable...

When you knock on my door I'll probably have a fish in the oven and i'll need your assistance in getting it out. Oh look a rusty nail...

(in other words unsolicited doorknocking and telemarketers suck)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #76
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reminds me of a skit I saw on a comedy show once. Jehovah's Witnesses at the door and the family invite them in. The JWs don't know what to do next because no one has ever invited them in before.
Old 14-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #77
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

I'm actually thinking of getting one of the BP mastercards, but luckily for BP none of their sales droids have tried bailing me up about it or I doubt I'd be as interested.

I keep getting called by a telemarketing mob in india looking for a mr ******** who I can only assume used to have my number assigned to him or gave my number by mistake somewhere (cause no-one knows my home number!). I've had some very varied responses from them when I say I'm not who they're looking for..... From "There's no need to lie mr ********", "Oh I'm sorry, but would you be interested in..." and the most recent and my personal favourite
Me: Hello?
Them: Hello mr ********, I'm blah from blah blah blah...
Me: I'm not mr ********, you have the wrong number
Them: It says here mr ******** is on this number
Me: I'm fully aware of who I am and what number this is... you have the wrong number"
Them: But my screen says...
Me (now frustrated): I don't care what your screen says, you have the wrong number.
Them: But...
Me: No buts, you people have been calling me for months and everytime I've told you I'm not mr ******* and asked you to remove my number... yet still your calling me three times a week.
Them: Sorry but I don't have the authority to remove...
Me: Take me off your ********n list and STOP ********N CALLING ME!
Them: OK, will do, sorry mr *******

AGHHHHHHHHH
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #78
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you , please DON'T call again!!
If you get a silent number, you don't get any calls.
If you also live in a povo area, you dont get anyone, bar Foxtel door knocking.
Old 14-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #79
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Thank you , please DON'T call again!!
If you get a silent number, you don't get any calls.
If you also live in a povo area, you dont get anyone, bar Foxtel door knocking.
i have a silent number, yet i have received a call or two from 'salespeople'.
the last one, i was just getting out of the shower and the phone called, so i ran to get it. usual indian call centre crap. she just started talking, non-stop, about i don't know what. i put the phone on the sink, and dried my hair. picked up phone, still talking. put phone down, got dressed. checked phone, still talking. put shoes on, put dogs outside, did some other quick jobs... yep, still talking. hang up phone, and go out. still have no idea what she was on about.

had an indian guy knock on the door. came out the side gate holding my rotty by his collar, thinking he would deter the guy. he looked worried at first, then came over to chat. still looked a tad nervous... Couldn't understand a word he was saying, only knew what he was selling due to his T.R.U shirt. wouldnt take no for an answer, usual crap. even when i said i was already with TRU (i'm not) he kept talking..
"sorry mate, dogs getting restless, you had better go".... walked in the gate and let go of the dog. the guy left pretty quick.
Old 14-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #80
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

My wife filled up today in Newcastle and they are now bailing people up at the pumps............
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #81
ed93

LOL. I used to have a German Shepherd/Doermann. Salesmen and God Botherers always gave our house a wide berth :
ed93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #82
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And how many times do you need to be told how to use the efpos. step by step verble instructions evry single time. the damn thing tells you on the screen. I hate being told how to do this wee task which I perform so many times its rediculous to think that there would be any one who could not. Its as natural as wiping your @$$.
Sorry for that but its my pet hate.
Old 14-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #83
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
There are many better ways to get a product or promotion out there? Perhaps. But with that state of mind, you can say that about any type of selling. Telemarketing? I'm sure you love that as well.. It is done because it is effective. It works, it's proven. If it was something you were interested in you wouldn't say it was "disturbing your peace and quiet"..
Rubbish mate. I absolute HATE being bugged at home whether that be by door to door sales or telemarketing. Even if I am interested I make a point of NEVER buying anything this way.

If I want it, I will go out and find it myself.

What annoys me even more about you people is that even once I say no not interested politely you still persist.... that's when I become very rude. Everyone's got a job to do, but if I've already politely said no and you walk away that's fine, but if you continue, then as I said I do become very rude.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #84
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have trained Bobby, my Jack Russell to bite their ankles.
Old 15-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #85
photn
AFF Post NAZI

LOL. youll love this one. a friend of mine has a couple of kids. lives in parra. and one day a sales person came to the door and would leave. so she decided to sick the kids on him. imagine a 6 & 8 year old just going nuts on an indian slaes person. he left in a rush lol....

there really good trained kids.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #86
ed93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
Its as natural as wiping your @$$.
Some people still have problems doing that!
ed93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #87
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I have trained Bobby, my Jack Russell to bite their ankles.
Jack Russells are great, I'd like about 20 of them.... they'd make a great carpet!
Old 15-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #88
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Jack Russells are great, I'd like about 20 of them.... they'd make a great carpet!
Some men hunt for sport,
Others hunt for food,
The only thing I'm hunting for,
Is an outfit that looks good...

See my vest, see my vest,
Made from real gorilla chest,
Feel this sweater, there's no better,
Than authentic Irish setter!

See this hat, 'twas my cat,
My evening wear - vampire bat,
These white slippers are albino
African endangered rhino!

Grizzly bear underwear,
Turtles' necks, I've got my share,
Beret of poodle, on my noodle
It shall rest,

Try my red robin suit,
It comes one breast or two,
See my vest!

Like my loafers? Former gophers -
It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
But a greyhound fur tuxedo
Would be best,

So let's prepare these dogs,
Kill two for matching clogs,

Oh please, won't you see my vest!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #89
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed93
Some people still have problems doing that!
hehe ,maybe right there
Old 15-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #90
67XRT

Default When no means no

Had a young bloke lob at my door, singlet, Baseball cap on backward, ususal young hip dude just out making a buck, Wants to sign me up with the other big Telco. Now I was home with the young bloke, in the middle of cooking dinner,

"sorry mate already with them, I'm busy at the moment, good day"

"I've got some questions for you"

"Thats fine, but you have not got anything to offer me so we can just leave it at that hey"

"Well ive got these questions and you have to answer them"

Well that is when I asked the young bloke to go into the lounge and flick on some cartoons while dad had a chat to the nice young man at the door.

Cue Simpson intro, enter red mist stage right, open the screen door and step up to the hip dude with His ID hanging from his HSV lanyard (some images just stick in the mind ) Any who.... After asking him to leave my property three times I grab him by the ear lobe and walk him to the nature strip.

Now this is where it gets interesting. The little so and so goes into a rant about being treated like **** for doing his job and **** heads like me not doing what they are asked. Throws his hat and lanyard on the ground rips of his singlet and postures like he wants to go at it.

Now this guy is probably 60 kilo ringing wet, but thinks he can rip my head off. I calmly bend over pick up his ID and tell him to bugger off while I ring his boss.

Exit little so and so up the street mumbling under his breath.

Now get this, after calling the "Other Major Telco", I am told that as the Young fellow is employed by a subcontractor there is nothing they can do to him, however they will see about talking to the regional customer contact provider.......... "oh and would you mind ever so much posting his ID back to us"

Arranged to switch back to the "Major Telco" and when the option came up for the work phones, ticked the box for "Major Telco" (some fifteen mobile phones with heavy usage).

Do these companies bother screening the little scrotums (or big ones for that matter) they employ?
67XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post