Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2006, 03:54 AM   #61
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think seriously it's because Holden stuck their neck out in the advertising market. I have seen (since the VY and VZ release), soooo many ads for the:

Thunder/Storm
Caprice
Statesman
SS
Berlina
Commodore
Barina - (take it off the TV already)
Astra
Viva
Rodeo
Adventura
Monaro

Maybe more???

All of this adds up to whats called brand recognition. When you think large car... you think... Holden Commodore... when you think 3 door hatch... you think Barina... V8 ute - Thunder/Storm...

Holden have a very succesful marketing team. Compared to Fords adverts? XR 6 speed? XT with extras? + the ads are no where near as frequent as Holdens.... My I point out - when was the last ad you saw for a fairmont, fairlane or LTD?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #62
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
Back that up with actual facts, not your own personal reasons why you don't like Ford.

For example, if reliability was the issue, explain to me why the Commodore is not widely used in the taxi industry.
I could back some of what his problems are with my brothers BA Fairmont.
The power steering on his car has been flushed because of a shudder. It's back 2 months later, The front brakes:P They replaced the rotors 2 weeks after he bought it. The front brakes shudder slowing from the freeway at higher speeds. Some type of rattle under the car he removed the shield on the exhaust Didnt help, And missing in the engine next week it's getting a 2nd tune. The rear brakes are gone but to get it warranty he needs more then they suck. His diff is fine, CV haven't been done. Tranny does shift alot getting around but it's fine.
Cruise is good i like the ford cruise it's great that it's on the steering. Easy adjusting.
But not long after he got the car it had warning lights going it had to go back and have the airbags checked i think they replaced it. But my sisters new Proton had to go back with a similar problem. I think he has no problems with tyre wear at all, Only one thing it screeches the tyres on corners something bad.
Hew hasn't been to happy with it but he is starting to live with it now. But it's been back to many times to Ford. They reset the ECU and it lost the police program he was so filthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Holden under promise and over deliver, Ford is prone to achieving to opposite.

Referring to mainly a base model comparison here, most buyers know that the Commodore is nothing special. It doesn't promise to be in the first place so you can only go up from there. Options are thrown in as a decoy because there's little offered in leading technology and refinement (until VE anyway).

Falcon on the other hand boosts high tech engines, transmissions and suspension, class leading comfort, ride and safety etc. But options are expensive and can't be given always easily due to the added expense in delivering more car. Topped with the traditional Ford service and you are left an experience that promised so much, all but gone pear shaped.
Come on, The VZ is hardly old school. It's got it's high high tech engine, It's 4 speed in the VZ is as good as the 4 speed offered in the BF, BF class leading comfort in base? thats ambitious. Ask anyone that has sat in a VZ and they will tell you base or high spec models they are all very nice and comfy to be in. Handling is also very good a touch more harder then the BA-BF but overall still very good for the Australian conditions. They have great options and standard features and do have more in the safety area then ford.
Commodore executive might not be special but it's a very good car none the less.
Fords biggest advantage over the Holden's is IRS a real full independent rear suspension. But move to the font and even know holden doesn't have wishbone Front they actually steer and handle bloody good at the front.
Old 16-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #63
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If people want to just bag either product I'll just close the thread and save everyone the hassle of reporting it.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #64
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Fleet sales has been flagged as the main reason, Brand loyalty would be a major hurdle, but Holden simply discount further to fleets, its also a reason why although they sell allot of cars they can't make a healthy profit.
You'll probably find if they could pull out the private sales the Falcon would out sell the Commodore.
You are absolutely spot on. The reason is purely an accounting one.
Holden to a fleet like Onyx sell the car for just a hair under 20K, have the vehicle 3 years, sell for 17K and only lose 3K.
Falcon to fleets 25-27K, have for same period, sell for 17K and lose 8-10K.

That is the only reason that they are outselling falcon, however that is set to change with the upcoming VE due to the vehicle costing alot more to produce than the outgoing VZ. Holden and fleets are nervous that the more expensive, heavier vehicle will not appeal to fleets as they will not get such a massive discount, and that would put them more on par with ford. Apparently, the figures quted by Holden for fleets have led to quite a number already jumping ship, and leaving Holden after many years.
Expect to see the mantra of highest volume selling car go to someone else. (prob toyota)

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #65
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
I can't believe the amount of people on here clutching at straws to try and find anything to bag holden out, yes obviousley I am on a Ford website, but I am one person who looked at the BA when it came out and thought wow that actually looks quite good, then next thing u know im in a sales position (insert BA company car here) I had the XR6 for about a month and I really didn't want it anymmore, I couldn't get to my 15,000 k's quick enough.

The car was a shocker, crap diffs, broken CV joints, power steering pumps, clunky back shifts, woful cruise control, and to top it off the worst economy I have ever experienced from a 6 CYL family car, not to mention the endless headlight and tail light bulbs I was replacing (thankfully for the company under warranty), sorry I think I also missed the fact it kept scrubbing the inside of its tyres out.

THIS and only THIS is the reason why more people buy Commodores more than Falcons, and because they are a good looking little car.

I got my VZ and SV6, astounded by the fuel economy, enjoyed the power and ultra smooth gearbox, and tight handling, ultra responsive steering, and the fact that if the gearox thought "hmmm theres not enough power maybe i should whack it back one save him having to sink his foot more and more" and it did it smoothly. Even the ol 4 speed in the S did it.

I had only two complaints about the VZ, throttle delay and the fact that it's headlight relay blew, that was it though.

I havn't driven one but maybe the BF will turn a couple more heads, but only till the VE comes out, but that period of time may not be long enough to turn enough heads, thats the only problem.

Stoney!
The problems you have listed are problems common to the commodore ie; scrubbed insides of the tyres and transmission woes (yes woe has an e in it). The fact you are having trouble stringing a coherent sentence together implies that you are actually a school kid who has read a couple of motoring reports and then got them confused.
In the history of Holden and Ford, nobody has ever praised the Holden transmission while rubbishing the Ford. You my friend have it completely wrong there. Also, the uneven wear of tyres has always been a Holden IRS issue, and never a ford IRS issue. You, again have it exactly wrong. And your theories on LPG only go to show that conception does have merit in todays world. Every post of yours is pro Holden, Ford bashing, with figures that you have extracted from the far reaches of the galaxy, between neptune and pluto.

I believe the following saying applies to you and your Holden buddies.
"In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king".

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #66
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
The problems you have listed are problems common to the commodore ie; scrubbed insides of the tyres and transmission woes (yes woe has an e in it). The fact you are having trouble stringing a coherent sentence together implies that you are actually a school kid who has read a couple of motoring reports and then got them confused.
In the history of Holden and Ford, nobody has ever praised the Holden transmission while rubbishing the Ford. You my friend have it completely wrong there. Also, the uneven wear of tyres has always been a Holden IRS issue, and never a ford IRS issue. You, again have it exactly wrong. And your theories on LPG only go to show that conception does have merit in todays world. Every post of yours is pro Holden, Ford bashing, with figures that you have extracted from the far reaches of the galaxy, between neptune and pluto.

I believe the following saying applies to you and your Holden buddies.
"In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king".
I have praise for the auto well myn.
The rubbing of the tyres was more until they picked up the control link, And when you lower a holden if you don't get a camber kit you will loose the rear easy.
But when i was getting a nail out of my tyre there was a RWD TX territory there with one massive Bald tyre, I think it was left back, They moved the front to the rear and a new one on the front. Anyone else have this problem with the RWD Terra? It's not a wheelspin issue as it wont do a wheelie we tried:P.
Old 16-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #67
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u
Commodores are better :P
And then you woke up.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #68
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford are slowly catching Holden ,as people slowly start to forget the broken door handles every few months for over 10 years of model runs,that only ended with the ultra ugly AU, everyone i know Ford and Holden fans are talking about how tough looking the Ford is in last two models, mind you the Ford ad's leave a lot to be desired, and not doing anything to combat the made in Australia slogans by Holden are still killing them.flame me if you want for the door handles being a reason but all we used to joke about at work was having spent two hours and another $30 on doing a handle replacement when our mates were at the beach or pub.i personally know three older Ford fans that went Toyota and Mazda and one Commodore.because of this ,
sometimes little things do Matter.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #69
Mark Edmonds
XLR8

Soe good posts here..my wife reckons that women play a bigger role in vehicle purchasing decisons than us blokes realise. Women prefer commodore cos they reckon the falcon looks to blokey.......then again she does like the look of my power bulge.
Mark Edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #70
blackahcdx

Two words:

AU FALCON

Oh, and the average punter doesn't give two hoots as to whether Holden is owned by GM or not
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #71
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Like I said in my earlier post :

You see every FORD made will last 3 times as long as any HOLDEN. Based on this logic, we only ever have to update every 15 years. That means that most XF - EA owners are only just thinking of purchasing a new BABY.........Holden will be outsold by 3 to 1 next year when this happens........... :the_finge

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #72
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED turbo (mickmalta)
Holden can produce more cars per year than ford can when they are under the pump.

Not only that, but in recent decades, ford's performance image was canned in favour of the EFI 6 in the XE while holden continued its V8.

Marketing plays a big part in it too, as holden is always shown to be a performance brand.

What performance did ford have in the 80's? The EFI 6 S Pac XF....... that was it.

By the time ford realised what a mistake they made dropping the V8 in 1991, Holden had its HSV range and it cemented its sales force.

No doubt the BA and BF have helped regain ford's youthful image like it had in the 60's and 70's, but the fact is, they are so far behind, it will take another decade to catch up.
Didnt the XE have a V8 aswell?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #73
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

It comes back to the motorsport issue also. Sure its bragging rights but it is a massive marketing tool. Holden have used it successfully, they are all to quick to point out their wins, especially at the Mountain. Yet it has evolved. It is no longer a case of win on Sunday sell on Monday, its more like win on Sunday sell in two years time. Ford have won the V8 championship for the last three years and with the new models the sales are coming back. I like the AU (might be one of only a few here) but the empty spots on the podiums definately hurt sales. Just have to win Bathurst again, maybe this year.... My 2 cents

Last edited by Morpheus; 16-05-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #74
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holden are and have been more agressive in their marketing ,and too a degree parents choices are handed down to the kids in my book.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #75
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden

Come on, The VZ is hardly old school. It's got it's high high tech engine, It's 4 speed in the VZ is as good as the 4 speed offered in the BF, BF class leading comfort in base? thats ambitious. Ask anyone that has sat in a VZ and they will tell you base or high spec models they are all very nice and comfy to be in. Handling is also very good a touch more harder then the BA-BF but overall still very good for the Australian conditions. They have great options and standard features and do have more in the safety area then ford.
Commodore executive might not be special but it's a very good car none the less.
Fords biggest advantage over the Holden's is IRS a real full independent rear suspension. But move to the font and even know holden doesn't have wishbone Front they actually steer and handle bloody good at the front.
I could easily, EASILY argue against the points you’ve made but would only distract from the topic of this thread. Your comments however serve as a great example of why the commodore sales are what they are. In a nut shell most your defence regarding the features of the Commodore are based on the opinion that it's not as high tech, nor refined, but it gets the job done well enough to satisfy jo average ..which is exactly my point..lol They (Holden) simply offer more options than Falcon at less cost to bridge the gap..and it's working. Well done to them if they can get away with it, and they clearly do.
Old 16-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #76
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
It comes back to the motorsport issue also. Sure its bragging rights but it is a massive marketing tool. Holden have used successfully, they are all to quick to point out their wins, especially at the Mountain. Yet it has evolved. It is no longer a case of win on Sunday sell on Monday, its more like win on Sunday sell in two years time. Ford have won the V8 championship for the last three years and with the new models the sales are coming back. I like the AU (might be one of only a few here) but the empty pots on the podiums definately hurt sales. Just have to win Bathurst again, maybe this year. My 2 cents

NAHH

I don't think the average Aussie gives a toss about whether the marque they are going to purchase has won at Bathurst or NOT. Maybe the fanatics can use it as a leveraging tool to justify their purchase of an FPV or HSV, but the average Joe or average Company( where all the sales are ) is just looking for the best value for money, economy, and resale value. Cars have become so disposable these days that I reckon NO ONE who buys either is looking at keeping t he car for more than 5+ years anyways.......

At the moment, HOLDEN are "perceived" to have all of the above by the general populus.........We just have to deal with it.........and SO DO FORD.
It is very difficult to change the sales momentum when the products are so close to eac other in general spec...........

Ask yourself very honestly..........why would you really by a FORD over the equivalent HOLDEN ??????????

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #77
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Well I have both makes and they share the garage. I'm a Ford man because my dad was, I'm a V8 man because my dad also was. My wife on the other hand is opposite. She loves her Holdens because her dad does and was brought up with V8 Holdens. At my age, Brock run amok at Bx and Ford dropped its bundle with the EFi 6. Dad still had his XB clevo and I still loved to own a Falcon.

My point is, there would be heaps of Holden fanboys and girls out there because they either witnessed Brock at his dominent best or they were brought up on a diet of Commodores. The Ford guys and girls would either be new converts or ones like myself who have a long memory of watching mainly Moffat and to a lesser extent Johnson giving it to Holden in their X series Falcons. Motorsport and having a hero car with a cult following will pay dividends down the track. Holden have had these dividends coming in their showrooms for years and will continue to because they 'top up' their image with their superior marketing.

My opinion, banarcus....
Old 16-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #78
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Ask yourself very honestly..........why would you really by a FORD over the equivalent HOLDEN ??????????
You read my mind mate, I swear I was typing my post when you wrote this.
Old 16-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #79
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I love the fact people actually think one model has caused Fords downfall in sales. Its a little more complicated than that im afraid.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #80
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I work right on the Bruce Highway, at Bowen and the majority of cars heading north are Fords, and mostly Falcons. Very few Holdens. :
Old 16-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #81
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Having experienced ownership of a couple of Holdens I have no doubts why I would prefer a Ford. Sorry ESP, not all manufacturers are the same.

I feel that Commodore sales are larger because the govt is buying them for fleets to help save GM Aust from going down the gurgler. Private sales are possibly more the Falcon's way but someone with access to the stats would have to confirm that.
Old 16-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #82
ltd
Force Fed Fords

A little quote taken from the age for the 4L60 and 4L65 Holden transmissions.

"There's more obsolete technology in Holden's Hydramatic automatic transmission.

Lacking the manual selection and full electronic control facilities of the Falcon's new Australian unit, it becomes vague and indecisive whenever the car is pushed. "

See how many rebuilds of trannies in Holden are done compared to ford before you espouse nonsense about the auto tranny Stoner.

Quote: