Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #61
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Nissan Patrol V8 demand continues to surge as Aussies holiday at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Fair chance of being better...

https://www.turbochargersplus.com/tu...and-solutions/

She ain't no 1HD-FTE
Another example of “don’t let the facts get in the way of fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD)”. Gosh if you believed the FUD from that company you’d expect to see a broken down 200 on every street corner, but whatever rocks your socks

BTW, the “200 failed turbos” usually turns out to be a faulty boost sensor or dodgey variable vane actuator. But there is much more money replacing perfectly good turbo’s than being honest.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #62
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nissan Patrol V8 demand continues to surge as Aussies holiday at home

Whichever delivers simplicity and durability the best.

In the Cruisers the URJ202 is of interest.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #63
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love bagging out Toyota, But to tell you the truth I drove a Sahara with 4000km on it black in colour. I was actually impressed and it went good and drove good. Dashboard is old looking but everything else was good really.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 01:13 AM   #64
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's one of the dusting stories, in 3 parts, Pt1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkvVB7Fybz4

It's a bit of an eye opener. Mechanics on the forums, I'd be interested to hear if you reckon full new engine swap was worth it with one cylinder down on compression - or if dusting is supposed to wear a bank evenly? Pt3 - what do you reckon of their airbox quality? LC200 owners, probably good info for you there as well.

And I'm not trying to pick on the big T, have loved Landcruisers for a very long time. If anything, I'm suggesting modern NA petrol is really looking like an alternative when faced with very expensive repairs on modern turbo diesels.

Bonus: timing chains on 2UZ-FE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8DP4DrtQrE

I kept wondering where he was pulling all the extra bits out of. Really complex for non-mechanic, looking from above. Probably most simple to just Barra swap all of the 4wds.
Old 15-06-2020, 03:43 AM   #65
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Here's one of the dusting stories, in 3 parts, Pt1:...
You make out there is a systemic problem, when in fact there isn’t.

It’s a bit like reading about a relatively small percentage of ZF transmissions (on this forum) that have milkshaked, and making the correlation that every ZF is a failure.

BTW that video has it backwards, the blue coloured filters are used for the V8 petrol 200’s. The blue filters are sometimes misrepresented as TTD filters and available for sale from eBay. So, were they using the incorrect Toyota air filters for the TTD ???

But by all means keep pointing out the issues, because as they say ‘if it’s got tits or wheels then it’s going to have problems. The game can be played for a long time
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #66
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
I love bagging out Toyota, But to tell you the truth I drove a Sahara with 4000km on it black in colour. I was actually impressed and it went good and drove good. Dashboard is old looking but everything else was good really.
This was a common thought I used to have re Toys as well.
For a long time infact, boring nothing to engage vehicles BUT I did bite the gaunlet some 6-7yrs ago and bought a Hilux 4x4.
Being in the Aftermarket for as long as I have you get to know quite abit about brand faults/costs etcetc...and some of my customers are the known brand 4x4 companies such as ARB etcetc so I get alot of good intel long before buying the Hilux.
Don't care of the latest DPF issues for what brand doesn't suffer something in its model/s life.
I can't fault the boring gutless Hilux as some carry on about, I wish I bought one long ago, its been faultless/practical/alot of fun and I'm actually sad I'm about to pass it on to my son.
My customers keep buying the next models for R&D and over the years have driven many V8Patrols/80/100/200Series and these large boats impress me for what they are - don't suit my needs but I get those people buying them for the use they wish for.
There are more without problems over the years compared to the ones not.
Want towing/camping/offroading motoring the Toy has done well in the big picture no matter how many knockers there are........
I sure don't love them like I do a Falcon but for a means of specific transport they satisfy many the numbers prove it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #67
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
This was a common thought I used to have re Toys as well.
For a long time infact, boring nothing to engage vehicles BUT I did bite the gaunlet some 6-7yrs ago and bought a Hilux 4x4.
Being in the Aftermarket for as long as I have you get to know quite abit about brand faults/costs etcetc...and some of my customers are the known brand 4x4 companies such as ARB etcetc so I get alot of good intel long before buying the Hilux.
Don't care of the latest DPF issues for what brand doesn't suffer something in its model/s life.
I can't fault the boring gutless Hilux as some carry on about, I wish I bought one long ago, its been faultless/practical/alot of fun and I'm actually sad I'm about to pass it on to my son.
My customers keep buying the next models for R&D and over the years have driven many V8Patrols/80/100/200Series and these large boats impress me for what they are - don't suit my needs but I get those people buying them for the use they wish for.
There are more without problems over the years compared to the ones not.
Want towing/camping/offroading motoring the Toy has done well in the big picture no matter how many knockers there are........
I sure don't love them like I do a Falcon but for a means of specific transport they satisfy many the numbers prove it.
They certainly do the job. But they are not entirely faultless like some of the fanbois believe. They do have faults, all cars do. No such thing as a 100% reliable vehicle/brand/model.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #68
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Well you quote in your way what in part I had said.
Lets not forget some owners, be it every single brand there is a good portion% that experience NO problems but for normal servicing intervals/consumables.
I have to say, I have never experienced a "lemon" or troublesome ownership with all the vehicles I've owned incl the Hilux.
Those that sprout this could be tossed into the fanbois rhetoric and alas there is a portion that do carry on yet in denial experiencing probs.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #69
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did the LC market survey today and noted 60 prices up on last year, good 80 prices up to 20K asks (petrol, diesel higher), 105s in petrol from around 10 to 20K, good 100UZJ about 25K, good 100HDJ up to 65K (!!!) and early 200s (both petrol and diesel) about 35K asks.

Points taken and will lay off the diesel 200 LC, but there's one more thing before stopping - this delightful dealer at on an early petrol 200 Sahara (quite nice car by the looks) and has written an amusing blurb to compel buyers to their example:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/secr...-vx/1248810961

"2008 Toyota Landcruiser VX 200 Series $34999
This Landcruiser is in fantastic condition and will suit the fussiest of buyers.
Two lady owners from new and full service history this car has never been off-road or been used for any heavy towing.
Mechanically excellent bulletproof 4.7 V8 petrol which is much smoother and far more reliable than the troublesome V8 diesel which are generally after been used for heavy towing and usually ready to start having mechanical issues costing thousands of dollars to remedy or even needing full engine rebuilds or replacement. Don’t do that to yourself save $10000 outright on purchase price and buy a proven petrol that will be trouble free for many years to come."
Old 15-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #70
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did the LC market survey today and noted 60 prices up on last year, good 80 prices up to 20K asks (petrol, diesel higher), 105s in petrol from around 10 to 20K, good 100UZJ about 25K, good 100HDJ up to 65K (!!!) and early 200s (both petrol and diesel) about 35K asks.

Points taken and will lay off the diesel 200 LC, but there's one more thing before stopping - this delightful dealer at on an early petrol 200 Sahara (quite nice car by the looks) and has written an amusing blurb to compel buyers to their example:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/secr...-vx/1248810961

"2008 Toyota Landcruiser VX 200 Series $34999
This Landcruiser is in fantastic condition and will suit the fussiest of buyers.
Two lady owners from new and full service history this car has never been off-road or been used for any heavy towing.
Mechanically excellent bulletproof 4.7 V8 petrol which is much smoother and far more reliable than the troublesome V8 diesel which are generally after been used for heavy towing and usually ready to start having mechanical issues costing thousands of dollars to remedy or even needing full engine rebuilds or replacement. Don’t do that to yourself save $10000 outright on purchase price and buy a proven petrol that will be trouble free for many years to come."
Sounds like the dealer has been bitten once or twice with landcruisers inside the statutory warranty or customers returning not happy.

Good laugh, good find.