Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #61
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Holden Commodore details released

didn't holden try similar cars than this and fail?
Epica and Malibu
This thing will be alot better quality than those 2 but who is the target market? Fleet buyers? not the everyday bogan aussie who buy Commodores now (i'm one of them)

the only thing that will save Holden is a Camaro or LS3 powered Colorado
and putting an SS badge on something not V8 or turbo is criminal.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #62
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Didn't they release a VP SS Commodore that had the 3.8 Buick V6?
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #63
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Didn't they release a VP SS Commodore that had the 3.8 Buick V6?
correct but that was also criminal. least you could still buy a V8
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #64
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
This thing will be alot better quality than those 2 but who is the target market? Fleet buyers? not the everyday bogan aussie who buy Commodores now (i'm one of them)
Bang on. They have already said they want to disassociate from the bogan buyer. I'm guessing the only reason they're keeping the name is for fleet buyers who will just continue buying Commodores.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #65
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"When the 2018 Holden Commodore arrives in February 2018, it will be ready for action as a general duties and highway patrol police vehicle, Holden has confirmed.

Speaking at a recent development drive of the next-generation Holden Commodore, Holden executive director of sales, Peter Keley, told CarAdvice that Holden had shown key executives from police forces nationwide details about drivetrains and they were impressed.

“At the end of the day, they had a lot of confidence around the fact the traditional Commodore attributes were still very much part of the next-generation Commodore,” Keley said."

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/492408/2...6GcgH1T2WUG.99
Old 27-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #66
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Long shot, but maybe, just maybe (and being hopeful here) they are downplaying the drivelines to retain demand for the last of the VFII out to the end of production, so they don't have to constantly drop daily build numbers and lose even more money.

When manufacturing finishes, there's a 3 month gap until this FWD/AVD "thing" is released locally - plenty of time to up the marketing hype with a base model V6 (like the Impala sedan in the USA) and add the twin turbos to the SS model.

If not, then I fear another Malibu failure..... I certainly won't be buying one.

Holden need to retire the Commodore name with dignity, not pass it on to an unworthy piece of FWD 4-pot rubbish. Look at how revered the Kingswood name is/was, yet the Kingswood was only one level of trim (with Belmont & Premier either side initially). In sedan & wagon form, production only lasted 11 odd years (another 5 or so as commercials), but the name was revered by many in the 80s & 90s, and to a lesser extent, even today.

The Commodore nameplate has been around for 38 years - and everyone can see right through Holden's attempt to bolster this new POS by using that hallowed name.
They should have done what Ford Australia did - retire it with grace, on a worthy RWD performance sedan.

There was also a V6 VT SS - but it was supercharged...... The VP SS V6 was in retaliation to Ford in the Production car series. Prior to the EB V8 return, they were racing I6 against V6, but the Ford S-pack had 15x7" wheels vs the 15x6" on the VP S. To homologate the 7" wheels from the SS on the VP S, they needed to produce something like 125 or 150 specials, with that package - which became the VP SS V6.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #67
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like there won't be a turbo version of the NG Commodore at all. The Cadillac twin turbo 3.6 V6 that was always rumored doesn't fit in the chassis, which means a version of the current V6 in the Commodore - the horrible asthmatic boat anchor of a thing - will be the top dog "performance" engine. A lot of local development would be needed to bolt a turbo on that engine and I just can't see it happening.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #68
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Article says no room for a turbo full stop
This engine isnt going anywhere
Old 27-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #69
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownloud View Post
I'm almost convinced that trucks are the equivalent new muscle cars of the 70's.
ie: Noisy, uncomfortable, handle and stop like crap, are reasonably quick in a straight line and have mountains of torque....
If they started putting decent engines in them I'm sure they would be the new 'muscle cars'.
But instead it's 4cylinder diesel galore unfortunately.

On this commodore, I think it will be a fail.
If you are going to buy a 4cylinder petrol or fielder, there will probably be better options out there. But I guess we will have to wait and see the finished product.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #70
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I wonder how interior space will compare to Camry, Mondeo etc.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #71
FGX008

V8 engine Holden's represent approximately 35 % of their sales. I am doubtful that this new car and engine package will fill this gap. IMHO they have a problem.

Cheers, Brent
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #72
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Aftermarket would be able to fit turbos or a supercharger.
If there is a will, there is a way.
Just Holden will not do it.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #73
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
There was also a V6 VT SS - but it was supercharged...... The VP SS V6 was in retaliation to Ford in the Production car series. Prior to the EB V8 return, they were racing I6 against V6, but the Ford S-pack had 15x7" wheels vs the 15x6" on the VP S. To homologate the 7" wheels from the SS on the VP S, they needed to produce something like 125 or 150 specials, with that package - which became the VP SS V6.
Are you sure it wasn't in response to the EB2 S XR6 rather than the S-pack?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #74
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

So with Holden not committing to a Twin Turbo V6 due to under-bonnet space constraints, does this leave true high performance versions to HSV? Could a Supercharged version of the 3.6 V6 be what HSV produce to meet the requirements of a SS / Clubsport replacement?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #75
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
So with Holden not committing to a Twin Turbo V6 due to under-bonnet space constraints, does this leave true high performance versions to HSV? Could a Supercharged version of the 3.6 V6 be what HSV produce to meet the requirements of a SS / Clubsport replacement?
Or a hot vee with turbos on the inside?

FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #76
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if Commodore's target market suddenly cried out in terror and was suddenly silenced.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #77
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Are you sure it wasn't in response to the EB2 S XR6 rather than the S-pack?
Up against the Falcon, The VN never did too well in '91, so for the '92 Group E production season, Holden needed to do something.

The VP SS V6 was launched against the current 3.9L - so it pre-dated the EB2. And it was mostly for the wheel size - the Falcon had an extra inch in width against the VN and VP S that the Holden boys were rather jealous of....(as they couldn't get enough grip from the rear of the VN) and they also snuck in a ~10% shorter diff ratio so the V6 could get it's limited power (against the Ford) down quicker - giving it the advantage over the Falcon with gearing, and equalling the wheel/tyre size.

Ford responded to the VP SS V6 with a limited edition EB2 to try to get some more changes through - including the additional capacity. It wasn't a Tickford or an XR6 though - they were called something else. Sprint comes to mind, but it wasn't a sprint either. They didn't make many of them though - a concession for the complaints against the sneaky diff ratio change.

Parity racing at it's finest!

Mind you, the Tickford 164?kw 4.0L gave the later EB a much better advantage overall, but the tit-for-tat was pretty much all wound up by the end of '92, with the focus placed back onto the headline V8 series for '93.

I think it may also have come to an end because they removed the category or something too? Can't remember exactly - too many politics at the time over the end of Group A, the upcoming V8-only series, and the 2L class all fighting it out.
Old 27-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #78
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Sounds like there won't be a turbo version of the NG Commodore at all. The Cadillac twin turbo 3.6 V6 that was always rumored doesn't fit in the chassis, which means a version of the current V6 in the Commodore - the horrible asthmatic boat anchor of a thing - will be the top dog "performance" engine. A lot of local development would be needed to bolt a turbo on that engine and I just can't see it happening.
NG Commodore? No Good.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #79
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

In 1979 Holden retired the Kingswood name after its replacement, the VB Commodore made its first appearance in 1978. I think after forty years, the Commodore name was ready to be retired.

Carrying on the Commodore name on this vehicle is poor, IMO.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #80
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Up against the Falcon, The VN never did too well in '91, so for the '92 Group E production season, Holden needed to do something.

The VP SS V6 was launched against the current 3.9L - so it pre-dated the EB2. And it was mostly for the wheel size - the Falcon had an extra inch in width against the VN and VP S that the Holden boys were rather jealous of....(as they couldn't get enough grip from the rear of the VN) and they also snuck in a ~10% shorter diff ratio so the V6 could get it's limited power (against the Ford) down quicker - giving it the advantage over the Falcon with gearing, and equalling the wheel/tyre size.

Ford responded to the VP SS V6 with a limited edition EB2 to try to get some more changes through - including the additional capacity. It wasn't a Tickford or an XR6 though - they were called something else. Sprint comes to mind, but it wasn't a sprint either. They didn't make many of them though - a concession for the complaints against the sneaky diff ratio change.

Parity racing at it's finest!

Mind you, the Tickford 164?kw 4.0L gave the later EB a much better advantage overall, but the tit-for-tat was pretty much all wound up by the end of '92, with the focus placed back onto the headline V8 series for '93.

I think it may also have come to an end because they removed the category or something too? Can't remember exactly - too many politics at the time over the end of Group A, the upcoming V8-only series, and the 2L class all fighting it out.
It was actually called the EB SS, there's a small article about it in a Wheels magazine sometime in later 1992, it had a red xr6 on the front cover doing a burnout
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #81
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil View Post
It was actually called the EB SS, there's a small article about it in a Wheels magazine sometime in later 1992, it had a red xr6 on the front cover doing a burnout
Nailed it!

Can't believe I couldn't remember that. Although SS & Falcon don't really seem to go together (and may not be too palatable to one-eyed fans from either side).

Googling EB SS - the first result was this page:
http://www.shannons.com.au/club/news...tory-race-car/

In the comments there's a link to a magazine article describing what Ford did to the EB SS, and the other things Holden did to the VP that I'd forgotten about - the 80L tank (to get the fuel load to sit lower) and the IRS (although this was optional, but at additional cost - so on the V6 SS, just like it's big brother with 2 more pots, it was standard fitment).
There was a road test done on the VP SS V6 that went into much greater detail than the one in the link above. It also noted the limited build number (required for homologation) which was either 150 or 125 - I can't remember now.

I also went through my build sheets collection (indexed on a spreadsheet). I have 5 VP SS V6s recorded - sheets from 4 of them, and a tag from one as well (it was a burnt wreck in a yard about 10 years back). Their build dates are 26/2/92 (2 cars), 28/2/92(1 car) and 2/3/92 (2 cars).

Those dates pre-date EB2 by a couple of months. Any idea when the EB SS was released? And was it an EB1 or EB2? (4.0L would suggest EB2).
Edit: Just re-read the article & it says the Ford has ABS, so that's post April '92 for that option.

The article also shows Mal Rose's '93 title winner - so it did still run through '93 (I thought Group E died when the diverse Group A class finished in '92 and changed to the 5.0L/2.0L class for '93).
Old 28-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #82
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

The EB2 S XR6 really was a sorted car. I have one at it's pretty bloody quick.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #83
Angeldust

You would think the VP SS would now fetch big $$, as its the last homologated car post the Gp A era ??

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #84
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all....Did anyone see the Falcon that never was in the special Ford issue of Motor magazine..
I know it's hypothetical OBVIOUSLY...but if this had of happened this way it would have been a nice jigger in the garage and would have been a good option to the Commodore ..I tried to load the link but i expect being an article and image in the current issue it's not yet possible.. Here's some other 'hypo' images of the car that never was..see the Mustang connection https://www.google.com.au/search?q=F...usXaTOdMCGM%3A ..Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 29-10-2016 at 06:58 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #85
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Long shot, but maybe, just maybe (and being hopeful here) they are downplaying the drivelines to retain demand for the last of the VFII out to the end of production, so they don't have to constantly drop daily build numbers and lose even more money.

When manufacturing finishes, there's a 3 month gap until this FWD/AVD "thing" is released locally - plenty of time to up the marketing hype with a base model V6 (like the Impala sedan in the USA) and add the twin turbos to the SS model.

If not, then I fear another Malibu failure..... I certainly won't be buying one.

Holden need to retire the Commodore name with dignity, not pass it on to an unworthy piece of FWD 4-pot rubbish. Look at how revered the Kingswood name is/was, yet the Kingswood was only one level of trim (with Belmont & Premier either side initially). In sedan & wagon form, production only lasted 11 odd years (another 5 or so as commercials), but the name was revered by many in the 80s & 90s, and to a lesser extent, even today.

The Commodore nameplate has been around for 38 years - and everyone can see right through Holden's attempt to bolster this new POS by using that hallowed name.
They should have done what Ford Australia did - retire it with grace, on a worthy RWD performance sedan.

What was the Production Car series called? Would be almost comical to watch early V6 Commodores and I6 Falcons racing, their power outputs are in the modern 4cyl car output range.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #86
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
NG Commodore? No Good.
VE was all about "ready to go". 12 years later it will be "No Go"
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #87
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
I think a VXR would be a hit here. Most new cars I see on the road that aren't 4wds are either new WRX's or new CLA45's so there's certainly a market for that awd turbo stuff.

Top gear review of the current VXR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QypmXbwD1k
Agree, oh that was good little doco on signage also.

I think this car well do well here. Here is another review, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PhwcwdvulM
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2016, 12:33 AM   #88
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
What was the Production Car series called? Would be almost comical to watch early V6 Commodores and I6 Falcons racing, their power outputs are in the modern 4cyl car output range.
Production cars (Group E). They only ran a few years in that guise. Some decent drivers competed in the series too.
Old 30-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #89
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good to see holden have learnt from there history all the commodore/ opel body copies have always equalled

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #90
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well another two cents...

Car will be quite good I think for what it is. Will look good handle well, the awd package looks promising also.

Base car with turbo 4, that seems more appealing than a nose heavy six , and more tuneable. So if you couple the awd with the turbo donk then that might be the sweet spot in the range.

But this is not a commodore. And it's not a v8. And as you can see there is still a sizeable market for that.

Holden has misjudged how this is going to be recieved awd v6 ss isn't going to appeal toss drivers.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post