Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #61
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shelby GT350R vs Camaro Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

Do not know why there is such a backlash about discussing this, the GT350R is a track engineered weapon that was designed for specific intent, and its incredible at that. It can also be used in day to day traffic, but will have compromises in that as a result of what it was designed and engineered to do so well, blast around at high revs ......
The best thing to come out of Ford in 10 years and people want talk about how it behaves in day to day traffic

Especially funny considering the Camaro is rubbish in day to day traffic cause ya cant see out of the bloody thing
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #62
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Like I said I would be very suprised and turns out its not even close to dropping below them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
The best thing to come out of Ford in 10 years and people want talk about how it behaves in day to day traffic

Especially funny considering the Camaro is rubbish in day to day traffic cause ya cant see out of the bloody thing
Completely agree and I really want one however there are cons to consider, however they arent major but not talking about them is certainly silly?

Correct camaro is honestly the worst car I have ever been in for vision. . . .In every single direction
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #63
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

The GT350R is one incredible car!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #64
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Flat plane crank advantages. Wondering how they got around the vibration issues for a street car?
With great difficulties, apparently. I remember reading an article which stated that during the development stage of this engine, vibrations were so prevalent that at one point the start motor bolts completely unwound to the point where the starter actually fell off!
Old 04-12-2015, 12:31 AM   #65
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post

It's a great car but I agree completely with the post asagaai made on the last page. It's not a day to day car you can drive where as the Camaro is. Sure you can't see that well out of it like any coupe and it doesn't feel as nice inside but for ease of living... No ones trying to knock the crown off the Mustangs head here.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #66
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyphoon View Post
Yep. Here's one against the 2016 Camaro SS.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...rd-mustang-gt/

Not so pretty. If we're just benchmarking raw numbers, the SS is quite a bit faster.
Reading that article, it brings back memories of when the fourth-gen Camaro of the late nineties, fitted with the then new LS1, took on and subsequently whipped the 4.6L equipped SN-95 Cobras. As much as I liked the Modular V8s, and as much as I am a fan of the Coyote, when you're giving up over a litre in displacement you are always going to struggle. DOHC v OHC comparisons aside, the cubic inch disadvantage with the GT is, once again, too great.

The mighty Voodoo slaying the nearly two-litre larger displacement LS7 goes to show just how much of a freak that motor is, but even then that was against the much heavier previous gen Camaro. Fit a tweaked LS7 (let's face it - the engine is due for an upgrade given that it's almost ten-years-old) into the lighter and better sorted Alpha platform with further tweaks of commensurate differentiation between the previous model Z/28 to the regular Camaro, and you'll likely see the GT350R have its hands well and truly full.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:24 AM   #67
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
It's a great car but I agree completely with the post asagaai made on the last page. It's not a day to day car you can drive where as the Camaro is. Sure you can't see that well out of it like any coupe and it doesn't feel as nice inside but for ease of living... No ones trying to knock the crown off the Mustangs head here.
Day to day Camaro with its ROCK hard suspension I obviously haven't driven either but judging from that review the 350 would be easier to live with as a daily.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 AM   #68
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It can be pretty frustrating driving around a car that revs to 9k that doesn't have any grunt under 3k. Cant drive around streets in mid range revs all the time and it is not an enjoyable drive. The Z28 could be used as a daily driver no problem, the GT350R no..but I would choose it for a weekender.
i think youd find it would be just fine, chuck it back a cog problem solved, and you also rewarded with that magnifico sound .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 03:30 AM   #69
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Reading that article, it brings back memories of when the fourth-gen Camaro of the late nineties, fitted with the then new LS1, took on and subsequently whipped the 4.6L equipped SN-95 Cobras. As much as I liked the Modular V8s, and as much as I am a fan of the Coyote, when you're giving up over a litre in displacement you are always going to struggle. DOHC v OHC comparisons aside, the cubic inch disadvantage with the GT is, once again, too great.

The mighty Voodoo slaying the nearly two-litre larger displacement LS7 goes to show just how much of a freak that motor is, but even then that was against the much heavier previous gen Camaro. Fit a tweaked LS7 (let's face it - the engine is due for an upgrade given that it's almost ten-years-old) into the lighter and better sorted Alpha platform with further tweaks of commensurate differentiation between the previous model Z/28 to the regular Camaro, and you'll likely see the GT350R have its hands well and truly full.
if your allowed to warm up the LS7 with already a 2 litre larger displacement then by all means allow the 5.2 the same luxury .
Old 04-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #70
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:

That's the beauty of competition. Long live capitalism!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #71
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It can be pretty frustrating driving around a car that revs to 9k that doesn't have any grunt under 3k. Cant drive around streets in mid range revs all the time and it is not an enjoyable drive. The Z28 could be used as a daily driver no problem, the GT350R no..but I would choose it for a weekender.
I'm sure it still has plenty of grunt in the low rev range to be an enjoyable drive.
On the other hand too much low down grunt can cause the traction control to go mental all the time.
but seriously both cars are weekenders anyway
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #72
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
if your allowed to warm up the LS7 with already a 2 litre larger displacement then by all means allow the 5.2 the same luxury .
I'm afraid I don't follow your logic. The GT350 has only just been released. Whilst being an amazing car, the GT350R did defeat a car that's just about ready to be replaced. I merely suggested that a Z/28 based on the lighter Alpha platform with a *potentially* modified LS7 (given that it's a nearly ten-year-old engine) would really push the GT350R. In fact, it'd be a complete failure on GM's part if they didn't produce something that at least matched the GT350R in performance. Right now the ball's in GM's court, and I'm sure they're just about ready to return serve.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #73
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

point taken .
Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #74
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

From what I can see the RRP (MSRP) in the U.S. for roughly competitive vehicles without options is as follows which makes the GT350R good value though that C63S sedan price would be very enticing.

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat - $59,290usd

Mustang GT350R - $61,295usd

Camaro Z28 - $73,300usd

MB C63 S AMG
Sedan - $71,900usd
Coupe - $80,000usd approx.

Corvette Z06 - $83,995usd
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #75
MercuryT
Banned

Fantastic review.

If I had the choice i'd take the Mustang for sure - it's a better car.

Firstly though and personally, I think the Camaro looks better (maybe just me, think the Mustang is a tad overdone for street), and certainly think it sounds better. Its thunder note is more attractive to me than the raspy V8 note of GT.

But then people love a Ferrari high pitch note which is awful to me so who knows, everyone is different!!

The fact the GT clearly drives better, is faster, still looks and sound fantastic with a much better interior and so on means it would definitely be the car i'd buy (if only we could......).

The Camaro is still very cool though IMO despite this, I love Fords but happy to give credit elsewhere. Both are awesome cars!

Last edited by MercuryT; 05-12-2015 at 08:12 PM.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #76
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I wonder if the fuel economy blows out though.
C'mon FPV GTHO you know better than that!!! ....Like that'd be your primary concern if you could afford to buy either of these V8's!!!

If Ferrari, Porsche and others can get a flat plane crank streetable, can't see why others like Ford can't.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #77
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't follow your logic. The GT350 has only just been released. Whilst being an amazing car, the GT350R did defeat a car that's just about ready to be replaced. I merely suggested that a Z/28 based on the lighter Alpha platform with a *potentially* modified LS7 (given that it's a nearly ten-year-old engine) would really push the GT350R. In fact, it'd be a complete failure on GM's part if they didn't produce something that at least matched the GT350R in performance. Right now the ball's in GM's court, and I'm sure they're just about ready to return serve.
I'd say the LS7 is probably finished now. The LT4 or whatever they are, new gen engines will most likely make it redundant.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #78
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Will they really fit the LT4 to the camaro though? Possibly a detuned version so the vette owners dont complain.
Old 20-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #79
zetecr
Starter Motor

I'm devastated this beast won't be offered in RHD. I know it's a bit early, but has anyone in the know thought about the practicalities of obtaining and fitting the GT350R drivetrain to the Aussie spec Mustang? Not sure if I could afford it, but hell it's a nice dream!
zetecr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #80
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I'm hardly in the know, but my google search indicates you can't buy that engine unlike a lot of other Ford performance engines.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #81
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

You can get the heads and block with unique cams, but they're not selling the flat plane crank.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #82
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Again, I'm no expert on these things but the flat plane crank would require a new exhaust and engine management system to make it run.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #83
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Will they really fit the LT4 to the camaro though? Possibly a detuned version so the vette owners dont complain.
I would expect so, the last Camaro ZL1 use the 6.2 s/c LSA that has been replaced by the LT4. I wonder if they will do another LS7 at all, now that racing regs allow for forced induction.

Looking at the power/torque curves of the 5.2 Voodoo, there is a big step up in torque around 3300rpm (3000-3500) that would make it feel pretty poor below 3000, similar to how the Honda S2000 makes the same power as a normal 2.0L four up to 6000rpm but gets criticised for having nothing down low.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post