Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #61
Hulsty

Default Re: People that sell problematic cars and don't disclose?

Sounds like a naive purchaser to me, blowing all his money on his first car with nothing in reserve? Not a good idea. Being his well experience mate you should have given better life advice to him.

When I bought my first car it was $4500, I had a spare $2K just incase and it got used, first service was $650, needed tyres not long after etc etc. With any car you always need some contingency for minor issues.

IMO there is no way of knowing if the seller was pulling a shifty, the seller could have been totally unaware and the problem literally happening 1km after taking it off the concrete. Recently after a 1500km trip I parked my car up for a few weeks, jumped in it, brakes were stuff, failed master cylinder while just sitting there.
Old 25-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #62
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
...Its not my choice or responsibility to approve anyones purchase...
No, we all agree it is not your responsibility to approve anyone's purchase... and yet that still does not stop you critiquing the purchase of every mate, neighbour, family member etc, and giving your opinion as to whether you approve or not.

Just a quick tip in case you are ever part of an interview panel - sometimes a candidate will tell you they are always punctual and never have unplanned absences...this is not always true. Sometimes people hide the truth as it is to their advantage if they do so. True story.

Quote:
...Its not my choice or responsibility to approve anyones purchase...
Had to quote this again as I am nearly in tears
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #63
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post

Just a quick tip in case you are ever part of an interview panel - sometimes a candidate will tell you they are always punctual and never have unplanned absences...this is not always true. Sometimes people hide the truth as it is to their advantage if they do so. True story.

I am frequently on interview panels.. lol Only value in an interview is to determine how people communicate, most of what they say is in one ear and out the other. Throw them a few curly questions to see how well they talk on their feet under pressure, whether their content is true or not cannot be proven at that point.

However, But when a seller sells a car and has a rear main seal leak, its either a fact or not. If asked by the buyer a direct question "does the car leak any oil", saying no knowing it leaks is a dog act.

I once asked a seller some very direct questions about his car, he gave me some answers. I told him that If I drive the is car away and his answers are found to be untrue, Ill be back with a tomahawk.. The seller pooped his pants and said its better he doesnt sell me the car... He knew he was telling porkies didnt he.
Old 25-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #64
MrEL
Sick Puppy

So Hulk sells car that have had a dodgy safety check done on them by his own admission of his cars dont get jacked up or put on a hoist.
Does he disclose that to buyers? Something about stones and glass houses rings true here.
If it develloped a leak in 1km or was bodged up like you are saying why didnt you tell him when it hemmoraged all over your driveway when he bought it over?
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #65
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...I told him that If I drive the is car away and his answers are found to be untrue, Ill be back with a tomahawk.. The seller pooped his pants and said its better he doesnt sell me the car...
Old 25-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #66
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
I once asked a seller some very direct questions about his car, he gave me some answers. I told him that If I drive the is car away and his answers are found to be untrue, Ill be back with a tomahawk.. The seller pooped his pants and said its better he doesnt sell me the car... He knew he was telling porkies didnt he.
What the hell is wrong with you? Threatening to attack someone with a tomahawk? I would have told you to get ****** and get off my property immediately. What gives you the right to do that? I would have said the same thing as him, even if the car was in perfect condition. You'd be worrying about a psycho coming back in the night to butcher you.

Explains these threads, a sane person would never ask them.
Old 25-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #67
ljf12

You sometimes hear/read about cars that have problems that dealers etc can't fix (battery drain issues, intermittent faults).
If you are stuck with one of these what do you do ?
Old 25-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #68
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
What the hell is wrong with you? Threatening to attack someone with a tomahawk? I would have told you to get ****** and get off my property immediately. What gives you the right to do that? I would have said the same thing as him, even if the car was in perfect condition. You'd be worrying about a psycho coming back in the night to butcher you.

Explains these threads, a sane person would never ask them.
You do know that Hulk's comments are to rouse people up don't you? Don't fall for the bait. It's what he wants.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #69
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:

More like he worked out your too mentally deficient to look for yourself and he couldnt be bothered with dealing with your crap both during and after the sale process.
You could of been standing there with a roll of $50s in front of me and when you come out with that id just tell you to **** off.
Ive done it before to pains in the **** like you and would have no hesitation in doing it again.
Hulk threads are great. It really shows how good some people are at making themselves look really dumb.
6 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #70
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
You do know that Hulk's comments are to rouse people up don't you? Don't fall for the bait. It's what he wants.
Some people just get tired of someones cr@p. There are certain people who you know are just here to troll and actually not be useful.
Old 25-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #71
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
He knew he was telling porkies didnt he.
The kettle called, said to bring the black paint around....
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #72
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
However, But when a seller sells a car and has a rear main seal leak, its either a fact or not. If asked by the buyer a direct question "does the car leak any oil", saying no knowing it leaks is a dog act.

Mate, it is apparent you cop a fair bit of crap here on AFF...fairly or unfairly, that's for Mods to decide. However, in response to your basic question of 'dog acts', there is an old expression of "Caveat Emptor" which simply translates to "Buyer Beware". The buyer always has the responsibility to make sure his purchase is up to standard whether the seller discloses faults or not.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #73
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been getting about 2-3 pink slips a year since about 1986, I been getting most of these from different random mechanics all over the state and all over Sydney, not once has any of my cars been on a hoist to get a pink slip, ever.

Back on topic, when buying a car or anything else for that matter,

'Caveat Emptor' - let the buyer beware, Essentially it proclaims that the buyer must perform their due diligence when purchasing an item or service.

Seller want to sell, at the end of the day he has to tell you nothing, it is the buyers responsibility to check what he is buying. What is to say the seller is mechanically inept and has no idea about anything (most of the population), then many propels opinion of immaculate is very different to others. I call something average and most consider it immaculate.

May be the car has been driven 'nicely' by a family man for all it's life and never had an issue and all of a sudden young fella buys it and drives it like he stole it, instant oil leak. I drove my XB Coupe on the street for years without an issue, every time I took it to a track day the short coming used to show up fast, fuel pumps failed, diff housings cracked, clutches fried, I even bend axle spring saddles and U bolts and axle plates once I bolted on semi slicks. None of these issues were apparent when just cruising the street, but showed up in a few minutes of driving hard on a track.

I would not be surprised if the car never leaked, but a bit of a flogging and oil leaks can easily appear in an engine that already has some wear, it only takes one burnout or hard drive to do damage to a car.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #74
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Dog act or not that's life, time to move on ......As others have said it's "BUYER BEWARE" end of story
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #75
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Fix it for him hulk,thread over and out...
Old 25-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #76
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

$650 you say?

If only all of life's lessons were that cheap...
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #77
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
$650 you say?

If only all of life's lessons were that cheap...
Could not agree more. $650 is a cheap lesson, and really if he bought a car and now can't afford to fix it he can't really afford a car.

As my old man used to say, buying a second hand car starts with Ahhhh, and often ends with Awww

I remember having some 20K lessons last time I build a house, so there will be plenty more lessons for the young fella in the future, like 'you play you pay'.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #78
MAD
Petro-sexual

I'll replace the rear main for $650.

So it goes from 146000 no leaks then 1460001 with leaks, to now saying 3 days between.
3 days is tons of time for 18yr old first car shenanigans.

If you threatened me with a tomahawk I'd make sure to hide as many surprises in the car as possible.

Should've bought a 5sec Camry.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #79
Itsme
Experienced Member

I think Hulk 16T misses the point of buying a second hand car that is old, the car will most certainly have problems of parts wearing out eventually whether it is gradual or becomes sudden failure.

Hulk 16T how can you accuse some one of a dogs act when you were not present at the point of sale & not knowing what was actually stated by seller & buyer?

Buying any used car has its risks which is a fact of life, get over it!
Old 25-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #80
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
I am frequently on interview panels.. lol Only value in an interview is to determine how people communicate, most of what they say is in one ear and out the other. Throw them a few curly questions to see how well they talk on their feet under pressure, whether their content is true or not cannot be proven at that point.

Whats the difference between this and your interview 'technique'? You front someone at interview and cannot tell if they tell you porkies or not but when someone sells a car with a fault discovered long after the sale is a 'dog act'? How do you know that they know there is a fault?
Oh, thats right - you bash them with a tomahawk until they confess
Old 25-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #81
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

reminds me of tommy buying a caravan in Snatch
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #82
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Hulk did your young friend buy the vehicle with or without a RWC ?.
Not required in NSW.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 25-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #83
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Hulk.. do you work for ACA?? (A Current Affair)

some of your threads and responses, remind me of their so called journalism.. very one sided and also claiming some one has been hard done by, when really its their mistake that they are in the situation they are in. (as with todays society , someone wants to blame someone else, instead of going, my bad and taking reasonability for their poor decisions and actions!)

some people are not car people and wouldn't know or care if there is an oil leak, or have assumption that all cars do it at that age and its nothing to be worried about. so don't just say someone is been dodgy. some people don't know or care, and its the risk you take buying a second hand car privately.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
Old 25-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #84
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know he didnt have the money for the rear main seal because when i first saw him he said he wanted to add a full exhaust but when he saves up for it.. so if he didnt have money for exhaust he dont have it for rear main seal.

It was 3 days between when he buys car and he notified about leak. How many km could he have done to instigate this leak? Cant be many.

He said he checked car with his dad. Its not my choice or responsibility to approve anyones purchase.

The legitimate parking spot is anyones guess. But if a car leaks, it leaks. Unless he had a tarp under the car everytime he parked then he said there was no spots on ground so it cannot have been parked in that position.

I think your assumption is probably correct. Young kids are usually love struck when they see things they like. Prob missed the leaks but the seller should have told him.... not ripped the young fella off
Maybe the Kid took it out the back somewhere and done a massive skid. Due to the massive skid the rear main seal has gone.

Maybe due to change in driving style the car has blew the rear main seal.

You assume to much Hulk, all your threads you make massive assumptions. Maybe get some facts before posting.

My own cars, I trade them in. If the dealer does not pick up a fault well bad luck.
Old 25-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #85
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

LOL that the funniest thing I have heard today.

If anyone ever said that to me and came back around with the weapon, I would hope they would have enough balls to try and use it, they would be sorry if they didn't.
Old 25-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #86
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Man - Like a horse with an injury - this thread should have been put down ages ago.......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 25-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #87
DOA4

One of life's little lessons. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. I'm sure he'll be a little more thorough in his next purchase.
Old 25-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #88
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if you sold a Camry.. and the buyer came back and said it doesn't do 0-100 in 5 sec?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #89
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Yes I have to admit that Hulk is somewhat of a master-baiter..........
Old 25-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #90
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't have been hard to stick a head under there to have a quick look. That's what most people do for friends buying their first car.
Closed Thread