Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: If the market has shifted to SUV's were are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Would rather walk or catch a bus than buy a people mover.
Then keep little Magpie in your pants and you wont need 7 seats, a people mover or an SUV.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #62
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Don't underestimate sheep, they're smart.

not that smart. prime mover looks like a kenworth so clearly don't care about ride and handling.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #63
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The Everest is looking better by the day .... interesting to see one in the metal and drive one as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #64
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Would rather walk or catch a bus than buy a people mover.
If you are after room for lots of people, then you are better off in a People mover, most SUVs rear seats dont seat people over 7 years of age. People movers can fit adults on all three rows. Plus it actually very hard getting into the back of a SUV as you have to clamber over the second row. With big sliding doors you can effectively walk into the back.

Holden Colorado 7/ Isuzu MUX

Kia Carnival

Last edited by Brazen; 23-05-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also you can pretty much use it as a van if you fold down all the seats.
Old 23-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #66
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't get the SUV and duel-cab craze either. In fact I loath these types of cars to a somewhat irrational degree.

I do get what people say about things like ground clearance (a genuine necessity for some) high driving position, space etc etc, and if you need one, you need one. I suspect for many though, it's more a case of wanting one.

No one has mentioned the humble station wagon yet - they are what I'd consider the smarter option for suburban load luggers. I've just bought a VF sportwagon and while their interior space is far from the last word in efficient design given the overall size of the car, it's big enough for what I need and then some. We compared it to a Skoda Superb - they are much smaller on the outside, much bigger on the inside, and use about half the fuel, but are just too damn boring. There are a few nice wagon options around these days and the choice seems to be increasing, although not even close to the more fashionable SUV

Driving dynamics/enjoyability, and active safety are bigger priorities for me. When I see children being ferried around in these lumbering trucks driven by house wives I shudder to think what would happen when any kind of emergency accident avoidance maneuver is required.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #67
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One other thing I forgot to mention why people like SUVs - again a family thing - is the 7 seat option.
I can see the attraction of some suvs, I drove quite a few tarago's some years ago, and they where surprising good to drive and a very easy entry,
I might add one of my relos turned up in I think it was a Chrysler SUV of some sort from memory , it had heaps of Room and flat floor , theater seating, remote control sliding door, and access was ideal for getting a wheelchair bound teenager in and out, and in general it was pretty well fitted out, albeit a bit under powered.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #68
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post

No one has mentioned the humble station wagon yet - they are what I'd consider the smarter option for suburban load luggers. I've just bought a VF sportwagon and while their interior space is far from the last word in efficient design given the overall size of the car, it's big enough for what I need and then some. We compared it to a Skoda Superb - they are much smaller on the outside, much bigger on the inside, and use about half the fuel, but are just too damn boring. There are a few nice wagon options around these days and the choice seems to be increasing, although not even close to the more fashionable SUV
It's the step-in height, its a really big thing with many buyers. One day if there's a comedy thread on this forum I'll do a video of me getting in and out of my 3 series compared to getting in and out of the Territory!

I've alternated between a low wagon and a high one over the last few years so I know what it's all about. On the other hand I tried a new Octavia Scout the other day and I was pleasantly surprised at the step-in. If manufacturers jacked up the low wagons by a couple of cm it would make a difference but I imagine they make too much money out if their SUVs to bother trying.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #69
marty351
Shenanigans..............

When I see children being ferried around in these lumbering trucks driven by house wives I shudder to think what would happen when any kind of emergency accident avoidance maneuver is required.

This is the scary part. Too often have I seen said large vehicle plow through intersections, out of control, roll, basically endangering everyone in the vicinity, injuring many, only for the driver to walk away virtually unharmed.
With many small cars and other sedans/wagons on the road, they don't stand a chance against these leviathans.

An suv for many is a mere fashion statement and not a necessity. It's the "I'm alright Jack" mentality of many of these drivers/owners that really irks me.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #70
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
No one has mentioned the humble station wagon yet - they are what I'd consider the smarter option for suburban load luggers.
I’ve never really been into SUV’s but I do see the appeal and even considered a Jeep at one stage when I was being caught up in their advertising hype.

Tranquilized is right, a wagon also offers another alternative with different compromises.

The ability to haul a little cargo, possibly seat 5 and still have sedan like properties.

Wagons like the Sportwagon, Skoda, a 3 Series and so on fall under the $70k and while none of them are very big they offer enough size for the average family with in my view a better driving experience and as we know most vehicles these days are a compromise and that’s why so many families now have two in the garage and not one.

It may not fall under the $70k range but while I’m dreaming I’ll compromise on price as well and for my way of thinking the new 2015 RS6 Avant would be perfect for most families.

It may not seat seven and it may not even seat five but who’d care, with 412kW (560hp) and a 0 – 100km/h in 3.9 seconds you wouldn’t notice if they were in the back anyway.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #71
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The new Mondeo is a good alternative.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #72
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’ve never really been into SUV’s but I do see the appeal and even considered a Jeep at one stage when I was being caught up in their advertising

Wagons like the Sportwagon, Skoda, a 3 Series and so on fall under the $70k and while none of them are very big they offer enough size for the average family with in my view a better driving experience and as we know most vehicles these days are a compromise and that’s why so many families now have two in the garage and not one.
A lot the of SUVs are smaller than they appear. A Mondeo has a bigger boot than 200 series Landcruiser. A Corollahas a wider rear seat than a Prado.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #73
brendan88

When are they going to give up any info about the EVEREST?!!!
brendan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #74
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

In the other thread more info should be should ... with release around August apparently ... it's a wait and see game though
Old 23-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #75
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Okay then........................but you still bought one.
BTW, I guess your XR6 then must have accelerated like a 80% POS, cause they weren't that much slower
Slower none the less, I own a 2007 BF GT, the Territory used more fuel than the GT but was much slower than the XR6...so I kind of thought why am I driving the Territory? I had no answer, could think of no single positive advantage.

Reality is I can probably make do with a nice 2 door 4 seat car like an A5.....or Mustang, at least enjoy the driving experience as 95% of the time is just me.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #76
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Then keep little Magpie in your pants and you wont need 7 seats, a people mover or an SUV.
Little Magpies had his wings clipped just so I don't have to buy a people mover
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The problem ye olde station wagon had was that of image.

They always looked like a car with an extra ***.

When you think station wagon you think the stereotypical beige ugly piece of crap from 1980s American Christmas movies with roof racks and luggage tied on them.

Its only been the last decade or so where there have been some nice looking wagons hit the dealership floor.

Mazda 6 and new Mondeo wagon for example.

Hell most of the time its just me driving but I'd consider the new Mondeo wagon vs hatch/sedan if I was buying one.

It looks sick, and has so much space I could theoretically use but never need
Old 23-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #78
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

A family member owns an Captiva and a Hi-Lux dual cab simply because its easier to get their two small kids in and out as opposed to a hatch or large sedan. Neither will ever see a dirt road.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #79
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
A lot the of SUVs are smaller than they appear. A Mondeo has a bigger boot than 200 series Landcruiser. A Corollahas a wider rear seat than a Prado.
Not sure where you got your data from but both claims are wrong .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #80
Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
MU-X auto fitted with an on road spring/shock package or decent shocks at least. Reliability and fuel efficiency.
VERY good on fuel. Recent 1200 km trip returned 6.6 l/100KM. Terry Ghia on same trip 14l/100KM. Ideal drive conditions, following a mate in his Range Rover at 90km because over that it drank fuel at an alarming rate. After 10 months of ownership of a base MUX I would definitely recommend. Different chassis to Dmax and rides pretty good.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #81
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

The new Land Rover Discovery Sport have now been released for sale in Australia. Come in under $70, can be 5 +2 = 7 seats and look good
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #82
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^^^
I bet that handles like a mattress.
You might be surprised. We've been spoiled by an age where everything...pretty much...is "a good car" and they all handle way better than the cars those of us "of a certain age" remember growing up with. Even performance cars of days gone by can now be outrun and outhandled by ordinary family sedans.

We've become so used to almost every car we get into is going to handle pretty well and competently. So when we hop into something like a people mover or four wheel drive, we're basing out preconceptions on other stuff...not realising that even a decade ago people movers and fourbies were usually truly dire in the handling and braking department.

As long as you don't get into your new four wheel drive or people mover and imagine it's going to handle like an HSV or FPV, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Accept them for what they are and you might end up, who knows, happy with your purchase...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #83
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

No mention of Mitsubishi Outlander? I'm happy with mine ;-)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #84
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe highlander and I find the back seat to be perfect size for a young family. And if you find the kiddies are fighting etc you have the option to put them in the 3rd row. It is a smaller suv than most but for the person who doesn't like the feel of driving a huge bus, it's the perfect size. Ticks all the boxes in every other department too.
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 12:30 AM   #85
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best thing about a suv ? They tend to have nice BIG mirrors . ****y little mirrors on a falcon ute add to what is already a hard to see anything behind the B pillar . As for driving quicker anywhere you are still limited by your grampas in a sedan, ute, 4wd or whatever in front of you .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #86
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^ View Post
The new Land Rover Discovery Sport have now been released for sale in Australia. Come in under $70, can be 5 +2 = 7 seats and look good
Ah, that reminds me of one of my favourite photos of a 2008 Range Rover Sport.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #87
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
As long as you don't get into your new four wheel drive or people mover and imagine it's going to handle like an HSV or FPV, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Accept them for what they are and you might end up, who knows, happy with your purchase...
I agree that the gap between good-handling cars and poor-handling ones has closed substantially over many years, but there are still about half a dozen SUV models internationally that are clearly better than the rest in this department. Territory is one of them but unfortunately Ford is knocking it off, thus taking out the only one in the popular price range and leaving this lead to some expensive top-end Euros - which I guess is back where it started.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #88
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

I've had Falcon for the last 10+ years, can probably list on both hands the number of times I've had people in the back, and of those trips that went longer then 30 minutes is probably zero.

Hence my order of the new Mustang
Couldn't be happier with my choice, couldn't really care less about the Falcons now.

When the family comes along (soonish hopefully) the wife's Swift will probably get replaced with a SUV.
In any case the Mustang will be ok for the kids for the first couple of years anyway!
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #89
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
It's the step-in height, its a really big thing with many buyers. One day if there's a comedy thread on this forum I'll do a video of me getting in and out of my 3 series compared to getting in and out of the Territory!

I've alternated between a low wagon and a high one over the last few years so I know what it's all about. On the other hand I tried a new Octavia Scout the other day and I was pleasantly surprised at the step-in. If manufacturers jacked up the low wagons by a couple of cm it would make a difference but I imagine they make too much money out if their SUVs to bother trying.
Serious question - why is step-in height an issue for so many people? Past injury? Physical size? I've never had a problem with a low step-in height and every car I've owned is as low to the ground as legally and practically possible, and I hope to keep it that way!

Jacking up a wagon kinda defeats the purpose - low center of gravity is essential for enjoyable driving dynamics and active safety. And that's the one factor that cannot be overcome no matter how good the SUV is - the laws of physics are petty much impossible to beat and a car with a low centre of gravity will always be superior (all things being equal) in the handling department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express
It may not fall under the $70k range but while I’m dreaming I’ll compromise on price as well and for my way of thinking the new 2015 RS6 Avant would be perfect for most families.

It may not seat seven and it may not even seat five but who’d care, with 412kW (560hp) and a 0 – 100km/h in 3.9 seconds you wouldn’t notice if they were in the back anyway.

There's (one of) my dream car right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The new Mondeo is a good alternative.
I saw one of these on the road the other day, they look great! Would have been a solid contender when I was looking but I doubt I would have gotten past the FWD factor when compared to the sportwagon.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #90
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’ve never really been into SUV’s but I do see the appeal and even considered a Jeep at one stage when I was being caught up in their advertising hype.

Tranquilized is right, a wagon also offers another alternative with different compromises.

The ability to haul a little cargo, possibly seat 5 and still have sedan like properties.

As lovely as this all sounds I think (depending on your family life etc) you would come unstuck at times. I wanted the perfect all rounder and the FG turbo was close 85% of the time. It was great having the ability to get to 100 really quickly but for the times you could do that (every blue moon when the road conditions, speed limit, and empty car) it almost wasn't worth it anymore.

If only the manufacturers understood the need for large cars while still making the humble family man smile every time they mashed the go pedal, and keeping to a decent price! Not sure why ford didn't go down the turbo wagon or even continued the territory turbo
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post