Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #61
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: help me get over my km phobia!!

On topic posts or at least something close or don't post at all
4 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #62
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a motor dealer I get in this argument every single day. people think cars blow up at 200,000k's. they don't! yes it depends on how it has been maintained, but I have seen brand new cars with a 1000k's come into dealerships with blown motors and gearboxes. I have seen cars with 50,000k that have had the guts thrashed out of them.

For example, I just bought a 09 statesman for my wife with 350,000k on it. it was a 1 owner private limo, every service had been done and the interior is like brand new. I ran it through a Holden dealer workshop and all they could find wrong was the front disc's needed replacing. what did I pay for it? $5000. A 09 with 35,000 is about $20,000.

So don't be put off by the klm's, look at the car not the number on the dash.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #63
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Go with your gut Hulk.
If the car ticks all the boxes and presents in accordance with its history it may well be a great pick up.
100k isn't much, not in 2015.
I remember when it was though, EA Falcons were new.
Most daily's will run up 20-30k per year so a nine year old car should have double what this one is showing.

We went looking for a good second hand car for the wife 3 months ago, she ended up with a 2010 Camry Sportivo with 80k's, 1 owner, full service history in immaculate condition.
Still had the original sales receipt in the books, first owner paid $34k for it, we got it for a little over $12k with on roads.
Buying used with average K's has its advantages if the particular vehicle holds it well.
Ol' mate across the road bought a 08 Forrester XT 2 weeks after we bought the Sportivo, he paid $23k with 80k's on it, he had it towed on Thursday, blew the motor, up for the best part of $10k apparently. To rub salt in, the towie, his brother inlaw, suggested to him that he should have bought a Toyota, then pointed to the wifes Sportivo in our driveway and said 'One of them, they are bullet proof'

Last fortnight I was faced with a dilemma. I needed a vehicle to tow my Kayak and Camper trailer when we go away. I was going to put a towbar on my VRX but couldn't bring myself to cut up the rear bar and skirt to fit it so I started looking for a good Wagon of sorts, an AWD ideally to get on the beach with the Yaks.
After hunting around and finding nothing but ordinary examples with around 150-200k's I stumbled across an '01 Nissan Pathfinder ST V6.
1 owner, a small family business, full history including all the Ming Mole **** from Wynns.
The vehicle presented immaculately, handles well, pulls well and guess what, the odometer reads 296k's.
I must admit, when I glanced at the odometer I was a bit deflated as I've never considered a car with those k's and it presented so well apart from the k's, but I bit the bullet and bought it.
Im glad I did, it is perfect for what I need and if it gets rusted out on the beach I've lost virtually nothing.

Last edited by BENT_8; 07-02-2015 at 02:44 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #64
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The second hand cars I like are so damn old the k’s don’t come into it.

If you lean on one and don’t fall through the panel due to rush then you’re off to a good start.

If you like the car then the odometer reading is only a very small part of the puzzle.

Give the car a thorough check or if you don’t feel confident to do it have someone else take a look.

If it checks out ok and also looks well cared for with a good service history, go for it.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #65
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't tell your work colleagues or your mates in their new AMGs and GTRs that you have a car with 92000 on it. They may judge you and that would just be embarrassing for everyone.

Also my last car died at 92,000. It was running perfect up until the day it died
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #66
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless it was a Lemon to begin with or has been completely thrashed, 100k's is still closer to new than washed-up, especially since you know it's history. And if you end up buying it and get tricked, just drag him out the back and throw him off the balcony.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #67
Magee

Many years ago I had a discussion with the engineers performing the durability testing on the locally made Nissan Skylines. The topic came up of what is the design life of the vehicle. The engineers told me the testing that the cars had to pass was representative of 400,000 km of normal driving. I ended up buying a 2nd Hand Skyline with 50,000 km on the clock and sold about 10 years ago at 340,000 km and it was still running strong.

Not sure if any guys on the forum working for Ford can offer what the number is for the Falcon but I expect it should be at least this or more. A well maintained Falcon with 100,000 km on a clock will have many years and Km left in it.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #68
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Buyer beware as always. Up to the buyer to check history and not trust logbooks etc if they're truly ****. Our 100000km Terri isn't what youd call overserviced and wouldn't be a good buy. I could trick up the books to sell if i wished to and give a quick cut and polish and say 1 owner etc, all of which would be true(ish) to sell. Others service at the same dealer, get everything done at the right service intervals (suspension etc in a Terri shot at this km range)...and a call to the dealer works wonders (with the buyers permission to share the FULL history) and physical receipts etc...

What do you do? There are people to whom cars are a liability, a necessity, but most are buying Camrys and Klugers. There are those who love their vehicles, and if you're a good judge of people it can help a lot.

Win some, lose some, take your time and research what you're buying and/or run with your judgement, unless you know it's poor. The number means NOTHING. The care factor means EVERYTHING. I often sell cars in this km bracket, and I can tell you for free, they are a MAJOR bargain for the next buyer. They get everything they need (the Terri is a exception, its my missus's car and she has no love for such things) as I have the 'car connection' thing in my psyche. 100000km can be everything, and it can mean nothing. So can 50000 which sounds low on face value.

Some of the above posters will baulk automatically at 100000km, because thats a easy decision in their financial circumstance. I'm not a well off dude, and I need to buy smart. Recognise these things Hulk and move on with the show

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #69
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Cars are made to be driven, if you want pristine collectables, try becoming a philatelist.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #70
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Ignorance is the answer.

Gaffa tape on the far RHS digit will change it from 100 000 to 10 000...
Old 07-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #71
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

98,000km and you are worried

Why would you be embarrassed because your car has 100,000km,

Last 4x4 I bought at 560,000km and I sold it at 780,000km, my 12 month old current car (late 2013 model) just clicked over 87,000km.

Cars go for a long time 100,000km only means it's just run in and the bugs are ironed out.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by AU1XLS; 08-02-2015 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Give the insults a rest
Old 08-02-2015, 03:31 AM   #72
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's kinda funny the psychological aspect of it. Americans would think 60,000 miles is nothing for a 9-year old car. Personally, I don't think the number of miles or kms tells the whole story. What condition is it in? Does it feel tight and sound like new? Are there rattles? Does the steering feel loose? Is it shifting smoothly? Is the interior nice, clean, with no tears or other damage? Does it look or feel abused or overly worn in any way? Does it appear as if it will need a significant amount of money spent on it? Is the price good for what it is?
Old 08-02-2015, 03:58 AM   #73
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TBH 98k on a falcon is still a newish vehicle.

True story was running a fleet of 50 Falcon cabs (AU/BA) and Ford came to me with a sweet heart deal on some long blocks. I thought u beauty this will save me in the long run and bought 5. Ended up selling them 8 years later (still in plastic) when I got out of the game. Had to replace only 1 engine in that time and I used the engine out of a written off new vehicle. Probably luck but I did maintain those cabs pretty good.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #74
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Just buy the youngest lowest KM vehicle you can afford, that suits your needs and be happy with that.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #75
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in all honestly. its the luck of the draw. just take it for a test drive and if you hear, see or feel anything that you think is wrong with it. walk away. I know 98,000km in a 9 year old car isn't much driving, in saying that whats to say if you your worried about low kilometres that you buy a car with 400,000km and the transmission goes on it etc. problems can happen at any age or kilometres with cars. as others have said if it ticks the boxes and your happy with it and you cant fault it, buy it. If not walk away.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #76
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I guess he's over the phobia - he bought it... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11432237
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #77
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a work hack rav4 recently with 345,000 km. Non existent service history and obviously not maintained. It's the original engine, worn but still starts well. It was so cheap it doesn't matter if an engine or gearbox blows up.
Unless it's some fragile euro piece of crap with expensive parts, I would go for it. You have some issues if you worry about what people think about your choice of a second car. Tell them you are being fiscally responsible. Man up like the real Hulk.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #78
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
Man up like the real Hulk.
Don't you think that's going a bit far now.....
Old 08-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #79
a-total-tool

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11431561

Am I correct in assuming that the hulk selling this AU with 164,000 is the same hulk that believes that all cars self destruct at 100,000?

/phobia

Last edited by a-total-tool; 08-02-2015 at 06:24 PM. Reason: the ad had more km than first posted.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #80
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I am looking I always look to see when the next major service is. Lots of 4s and 6s have to replace timing belt at 100k so big costs there.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #81
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kms means just as much as age

10+ yr old cars, will be susceptible to age issues such as bushes drying up, plastics deteriorating, radiator plastics etc etc etc etc etc

I would wager that the issues you face would be more age related issues then actual km issues.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 08-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #82
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
Divide the mileage by the cost or the cost by the mileage ??
Either/or, so long as you understand the equation's result, it doesn't matter.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #83
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So have you purchased the car yet hulk? Pictures or it's just another Hulk thread!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #84
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

I'd love to see an hour counter in cars. My ute has done 152000ks but is on for at least 6 hours a day. Side by side with a car same age and Ks is take the one that was all highway and a lot less hours. My uteis on so much that at 100000 it already had a fuel pump, fuel reg and alternator.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #85
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Think of all the ford falcon taxis that do mostly town cycles their whole million klms life span. Now that's EPIC when you think about it
Old 09-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #86
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T
My neighbour and mate from the gym drops in with his BA XR8 ute he just bought. He used to love my old supercharged xr8 and said for some time he was going to buy one.

It's a 4 Spd auto with 162000km, looks ok condition wise and said he paid $8000.

I just can't get past the 162000km, I know plenty people have falcons with these km and more but if you have done the km yourself that's a completely different story. I wouldn't buy one with 162000km already on it.

Personally I wouldn't touch a car with more than 100,000km, happy to drive it to 200,000km and beyond as I'd maintain the car properly but I'd never trust a used car with 162000km not knowing how it's been treated.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11418967

You've previously answered this question.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #87
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11418967

You've previously answered this question.
In addition to this, for what it is now worth I don't understand the new Hulk bandwagon.

He purposefully puts up these threads to either cause crap between forum members or to justify his own self worth and paranoia.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #88
AUwindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
In addition to this, for what it is now worth I don't understand the new Hulk bandwagon.

He purposefully puts up these threads to either cause crap between forum members or to justify his own self worth and paranoia.
and everybody feeds his desire

Hulk should go into politics, the crown will pay him well to talk **** all day, then he can buy brand new Fords with under 10km (still thrashed by an apprentice, unless he demands it straight from the factory assembly line)

Old 09-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #89
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 09-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #90
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Well the thread WAS back on track........and this is YOUR opinion. If you support character assassination of the lowest order, guys talking like children and people making disgustingly offensive remarks, then that's your prerogative. Mods should remove this garbage so the rest of us can enjoy the topic.
Like has been said SOOO many times.....IF YOU DONT CARE FOR THE SUBJECT DONT READ IT

Maybe I'll pay attention to all you guys with the attitude for the next time YOU ask for advice on a topic. Then I'll jump in an tell YOU to **** off and just buy it. That's what forums are for

funny seeing as a mod actually liked my post

funny how you picked MY post
i never insulted anyone
i told him to buy the car as its only got 98 thou kms on it
and if he thinks thats a lot then mine at 100 thou more must be a dinosaur
next time i ask a question in a thread feel free to insult or make fun of me if you wish
it wont bother me and prob wont bother 99% of other posters
i certainly wont have a hissy fit and a cry over it
but carry on highlighting everyones opinion you dont agree with
who are we to comment on a forum after all

enjoy your day
Closed Thread