Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #61
deluxe_

Default Re: Older V8s, do they still have a place?

When you consider that some of the modern v6 engines put out a figure of 250kw in standard form, it does make the older V8's redundant.

V8's are viewed as thirsty heap of lumps by todays generation.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #62
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
V8s were always associated with being a performance offering ..
Not really. Back in the day before widespread turbo diesels V8 ownership (especially in Australia) was for carrying/towing. Often people needed something the could drive everyday (people didn't have multiple cars for multiple functions), carry kids, tow a caravan, etc. There were a lot of V8 Falcon X-series and Holden H-series wagons sold .. Not really performance offerings.

Quote:
.. but when considered against Today's standards of performance the older V8s seem to be little more than gas guzzling tanks that are well behind on performance
Yep .. But doesnt make them any less cool ;)
4 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #63
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe_ View Post
When you consider that some of the modern v6 engines put out a figure of 250kw in standard form, it does make the older V8's redundant.

Hulk has a dual account?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 15-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #64
bradles024

All about the noise for me, couldn't care less what's faster there's always someone faster than you. I've had quick turbo 6s but I enjoy driving my V8 more.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #65
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daily Drive 80 Ltd 393 and am surprised by the number of younger guys that come up to me and are want to talk about the old girl especially at the drags.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #66
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe_ View Post

Out of curiosity what v6 can produce that ?
Old 15-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
Our own Ecoboost V6 in particular US cars

(He didn't say anything about specifically being an NA V6)
Old 15-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #68
deluxe_

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
There's a few close to that mark but Nissan comes to mind that has 260kw NA V6.

VQ37VHR

2014–- Infiniti Q60 Coupe- 330 hp (246 kW) to 348 hp (260 kW)
2014–- Infiniti Q70- 330 hp (246 kW)
2009–present Nissan 370Z/Fairlady Z- 332 hp (248 kW)
2009–present Nismo 370Z- 350 hp (261 kW)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine
Old 15-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #69
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Probably the coolest old V8 I have been in was my mates late 70's Stag convertible with the 4.4Litre alloy V8 4 speed manual with 2 over drives roof off cruising the old Pac Hwy to Sydney early 80's nothing is cooler than that. Nothing old or out of place about an all alloy v8 with twin SU's standard in the 70's.
Even the old P76 had the all alloy V8 version such a cool engine for the 70's. The 70's light weight alloy V8 blocks lost for @30 years between the chassis rails of main stream cars till the 2000's
I like how people want to dismiss history as irrelevant as without it we would not be where we are today.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 15-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #70
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't swap my 59A flatty for any late model V8

Yea it's thirsty and it's got less power than a current grate wall but it has a style and coolness that a fuel injected V8 will never have, and your only kidding your self if you think it will

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
5 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #71
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Do these older V8s still have their place? Or are they now mocked and ridiculed by other drivers as well behind the times.
Yes. XY's are mocked and shunned as a car nobody would ever want to own.
Old 15-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Since we're all talking about them, you guys who are supporting them should throw up some youtube clips of them so we can hear these engines you love.

Heres my favorite 'old school' V8 sound:

http://youtu.be/oOvsKZA7glk

:P

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-01-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 15-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #73
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

New vs old. Please don't mock me hulk.

http://youtu.be/xrbuf0LFeRk
Old 15-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #74
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

All of my V8s in my sig are "slow" by Hulk's standards. Yet I have no problem getting enjoyment out of them. But then I'm not concerned with how fast I get from A to B, but rather, doing it in style and sounding great at the same time. Torque on tap without any effort. That includes the "slow" 90s Windsors.

I could not care less. If you want to drive a fridge, drive a fridge.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 15-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #75
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Since we're all talking about them, you guys who are supporting them should throw up some youtube clips of them so we can hear these engines you love.

Heres my favorite 'old school' V8 sound:

Nothing beats a 2 stroker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVTlzNJyxY
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 15-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Detroit Diesels, best sounding diesel engines on the planet.

Its too bad the 6.5L V8 that I linked to didn't have the balls to match its tough noise, I had one of those engines in this thing I used to own:

Went alright, had 600nm torque from 1800 RPM right off the factory floor, only running 8 psi of boost

Engine dates back to the early 1980s, 6.2L was the original one, then it was stroked to 6.5L, different heads and optional turbo in the 1990s, but still indirect injection, later ones electronically controlled which were unreliable.

New owner who bought it lives in Sydney.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-01-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 15-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #77
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

I got heaps, but this is the only one I have found so far with a dog barking in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ZE8v9RUgs
Old 15-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #78
69ISH

I think this sounds great from inside the car but I am biased
http://youtu.be/pVJa_X6oPFo?list=FLe...AWU-oM3nqRcCqA
Old 15-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #79
bluewindsor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://youtu.be/zYLrd7LS6zI

Moffats Boss 302 mustang
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #80
FPV-800

I have a BAXR8 as a daily which is a great car and goes well, and a V8 XD Falcon which I have had since new as my toy,may not go as hard as the XR but sounds fantastic and is a great cruiser
Old 16-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #81
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstar87 View Post
the GTHO Phase III.. is an older V8... is now easily beaten by a FG XR6 N/a.... but is worth $500k+ or a Stock XC Cobra... old school V8, slower then HO III and again a good one is worth $100k+.. so obviously they do have a place. because people are welling to pay a lot for these vehicle.. even thou the car world has moved on from their tech and performance. cars aren't all about speed.. cars are different things to different people.
Old V8s such as A GTHO is only worth anything to a collector of such car that has some cash burning a whole in his pocket. Very rare to see a sale. It's not like there is a stock exchange where the value is published, it's not currency. Some people (most) won't pay more than $1000 for an old V8, try trade in a GTHO at a Ferrari dealer and see if they will swap you and give you money on top lol.. They would give someone a kick in the pants and fling them out the door.

When you actually look at the car, a Toyota Aurion is demonstratively better in all aspects.
Old 16-01-2015, 12:07 AM   #82
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They would give someone a kick in the pants and fling them out the door.
I prefered it last time when you said something like ' they would drag you out the back and throw you off the balcony' made me LOL.

Hulk, you should give public speeches at the Summernats, right before the girls go on stage to fired the boyz up.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #83
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
N/A XR6 aint beating a GTHO Phase 3

A Phase 3 will do a flat 14 second 1/4 mile...a B Series GT, 32 years later stuggle to match it.

It's only in the last 5 years we have surged ahead in performance, but a N/A XR6 ain't doing flat 14 second quaters.
An old GTHO won't run a flat 14.. Lucky if they go 14.5.. All the other old V8s are way slower than this too.

A family man in his Aurion does 14.2.. They are lurking everywhere too.

Old V8 owners in the modern day roll up to the lights thumping away and stinkin of fuel scared of most cars that rolls up at the lights.. If an Aurion rolls up the ol V8 owner will have to pretend they are playing with the radio as the lights go green so as not to provoke the Aurion driver into action
Old 16-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #84
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Whats that hulky.... your selling that awesome b series turbo you raved on about for pages and pages to go buy an old school v8?
Maybe an aurion?
Old 16-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #85
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

The only ones would say are being mocked for irrelevance be a B-Series Falcon, like a lime green XR6-T, the owner obviously can't afford a new car, or a classic.....just a tired old falcon.
Xr6t is different to old V8s.. They command respect with their performance basically punishing anything on our roads with basic mods. So many of them are frighteningly fast.

No one mocks or taunts xr6t owners on the road in fear of being red faced when they spool up and dart away from you.
Old 16-01-2015, 12:33 AM   #86
deluxe_

I can understand where Hulk is coming from. We need to underline that old cars are not only fuel burning lumps that has adverse effects on the environment, but they have God-awful handling characteristics too.

As we can with the Moffat V8 posted a few posts before, the good ole Mustang can barely turn the corners at extreme slow speed. When the car is gaining momentum at the straights, it begins vibrate from all angels making it hard to keep in control in high speeds.

This is another why modern cars with highly engineered suspension geometry outranks older cars.
Old 16-01-2015, 12:35 AM   #87
HULK_I6T
Banned

One of my neighbours has a 1976 model Holden statesman V8. Looks well cared for. He parks it in the garage and keeps his new model Holden Ss 6.0 v8 VE outside??? He only takes the 1976 statesman out on special occasions too .

His VE is his daily. why would he save the worse car for special occassions??? . He treats himself by going backwards?

I chuckle every time I see him reverse it out on Sundays
Old 16-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #88
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Xr6t is different to old V8s.. They command respect with their performance basically punishing anything on our roads with basic mods. So many of them are frighteningly fast.

No one mocks or taunts xr6t owners on the road in fear of being red faced when they spool up and dart away from you.
You must be terrified of anything over 2 minutes old. Hence I can only assume you listen to one direction in your car rather than AC/DC or Led Zeppelin...

My old ZD draws more looks and questions than your sterile hair dryer...

You must nightmare in anguish that a 57 Chev or AC Cobra could be so much desirable than your up to the minute pieces of plastic...

An Aurion more desirable than a GTHO? You have lost the argument well and truly...
Old 16-01-2015, 01:07 AM   #89
superyob
Banned

Sunday afternoon scenario: Superyob is out cruising in his 18 second across the quarter ZD Fairlane. He rumbles up to the lights which have just turned red. While waiting at the lights, Hulk I6t pulls up beside Superyob's rumbling Fairlane. Determined to hand out a lesson to the vermillion fire behemoth beside him, Hulk I6t spools up his turbo and launches into the distance, furiously flooring the accelarator and leaving Superyob way behind in the land of 'couldn't give a ****'. The only sound Superyob hears as Hulk I6t disappears up the road is 'Iiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmm, gaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy...
Old 16-01-2015, 01:11 AM   #90
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Can't beat a V8, they're the holy grail of most enthusiast in this country.
For example no matter what someone drives or prefers, they always draw comparison to a v8.

To be honest though I am guilty of the occasional 253 mockery over the years but I think it's fair to say I'm not the only one. lol
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Closed Thread