Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #61
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: K-mart Auto....

This thread still going...
Old 10-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #62
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
This seems a grey area ? are plugs illegal??
"When looking at this enquiry it must be held in the highest regard as being a major safety item a tyre repair done the wrong way can result in major accidents that can lead to serious injuries or even death.

The Australian Standard 1973 – 1993 is still current and states that a minor repair on a passenger tyre being used on the road can only be done by applying a mushroom plug or a separate plug and appropriate tyre patch to the inside of the tyre.

The Standard also states that a passenger tyre that is being used on the road must be removed from the wheel rim and inspected for internal damage before any minor repair procedure is applied.

Repairing a punctured tyre using a string type plug is not illegal, however as this method of repairing punctures does not require the removal of the tyre from the wheel rim and inspecting for internal damage, it is a procedure which goes against the Australian Standard recommendations.
Should a tyre that has been repaired with a string type plug then fail at a later date and this failure is proven to be due to the failure of the string plug or the internal damage caused by the original puncture, the repairer may be held liable in a court of law."
http://journal.mtansw.com.au/10/june/div_nb_june10.php
My comment : maybe thats why they are saying they are illegal???

Plugs are Ok to get you out of trouble for the short term but is recommended to get an internal patch fitted for proper repair, hence a visit to a tyre business ASAP.

I certainly would not rely on plugs for long term repair.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #63
gozzaxr6t

Thumbs up Re: K-mart Auto....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
You were the one that were going on about what your equipment is worth

Doctors, there's another issue, how hard is it to spend 5 minutes with someone, say take a Panadol and come back and see me in a few days if you don't feel good? and have the nerve to charge for both visits
I have come to the conclusion that most are just there doing a job and don't really care about the patient.

None of my customers have commented on the rubbish you have posted, I do not need customers to back up my opinions.
Your opinion of this hierarchy thing just proves my comments.

Academic??
Many mechanics spend their whole working life doing advanced courses advancing themselves and learning about the new ways car operate, but people like you only recognise their apprenticeship schooling time

Confrontation, I keep my customers happy so do not need to worry about that, I tend not to look down on somebody or look up to them either based on what their job or title is, I treat everybody as equals.

Every business has it's own operating cost, if you don't like it, use your advanced schooling and get the skill set to do it yourself, but just stop whinging about it
You seem to have an extremely difficult time comprehending what has actually been said, so ill repeat myself - I never went into dollar amounts on how much ive spent on machinery, what I said was that one of my machines was worth more than your whole fitout. Clearly you dont understand sarcasm.

I can't believe you're actually degrading doctors and then going on to say that in your profession you spend a lifetime completing advanced courses - this is actually idiotic. You are a MECHANIC! A 3 day course held by Herrods in SCT tuning software doesn't give you a PHD.

You then go on to say that you dont judge others by their job description (refer to your comments about doctors).

And in regards to me using my own skillset to work on my car - I did on all my previous cars, but unlike yourself I didnt need to open up acatalogue and order parts. All fab work and machining was done by me, however unfortunately when it comes to the family car and the requirement for log book servicing I need to pay ridiculous hourly rates for some dumb *** to drain a sump. Me expressing my surprise to a service quotation is not a whinge, if that's considered a whinge in your book than every person on this forum is a whinger.

This conversation has actually mentally drained me - it's like trying to communicate with a 5 year old, just I think even they would have understood what I'm trying to explain here. The penny has just droooed for me though, I saw where you're based lol.. your comments are all self explanatory now
Old 10-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #64
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzaxr6t View Post

This conversation has actually mentally drained me -
No, I think it may be that you have come to realise that you head is so far up your own important educated ar5e that you have no idea about what is what,

like I said from previously, the more you post, the more it shows how little you actually know!

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #65
gozzaxr6t

Love your response. Simple and ineffective.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #66
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

yeah, figured unless it was a blueprint you may not understand anything more comprehensive, as it appears you have problems reading what else has been posted anyway.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 10-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #67
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I think one of the mods needs to hit this button pronto

Old 10-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #68
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace View Post
This thread still going...
It will probably exceed your time at ktas
Old 10-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hows this one, not KTAS but another well known auto brand.

I had a crunching sound coming from the front of our VT.
I suspected inner control arm bushes as most other stuff has been done.
I decided to pay a reputable workshop $28 to check out my car and tell me whats wrong.
When i dropped it off I told him I only want confirmation of a stuffed LCA bush as that was what I believed was the problem.

2 hours later I get a quote for $1680.

We go over the list, nothing about LCA noise, so I question it, he says its strut mounts and bearings as well as a bunch of other crap.

I paid my $28 and left.

I went straight to my mates at Parts Boys and bought $40 worth of Polyurathane bushes.
I pulled the left front out first, sure enough it came out in 2 pieces, completely stuffed.
I belted the steel case out of the arm and installed the new bush.
Took it for a drive, no more noise.
Despite the noise being fixed I still pulled the drivers side out however this time I decided to get ol' mate at the workshop to press out the old one.

So I walk in, throw the 2 pieces of inner control arm bush on the counter and told him I'd give him $28 if he could tell me what it was.
He said control arm bush, I said yes out of the car you assessed 3 days before.

At that point silence fell over the room, im just glad there were no other customers there to see it.

I then layed the second control arm on the counter and told him to be a good boy and knock that out for me to which he obliged.

I now never need to press out a bush at my expense again...lol

This is all true, NO BULL...
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #70
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzaxr6t View Post
And in regards to me using my own skillset to work on my car - I did on all my previous cars, but unlike yourself I didnt need to open up acatalogue and order parts. All fab work and machining was done by me, however unfortunately when it comes to the family car and the requirement for log book servicing I need to pay ridiculous hourly rates for some dumb *** to drain a sump.
I am going to buy into this and ask who is the dumb *** to drain a sump - IT is the person who YOU pay who has a stamp for your log book. It is a free market and you are free to go where ever you like. Just because they have qualifications that you do not have to perform this task is not a reason to denigrate the whole industry because of your prejudices.
9 users like this post:
Closed Thread