Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #61
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: Ford finally admit their marketing isn't working

"diesel" is the word of the day.....

I just had a couple of weeks in a Diesel XLT Ranger Dual Cab (prev model), very good economy. Lots of grunt down low too.

Falcon and Commodore seem to have a stigma attached to them. It's a shame as both are good cars these days.

Marketers need to kill the stigma.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #62
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I get where people are coming from regarding advertising on television...but...with the uplift in social media, not advertising on youtube or facebook or beside the latest article about the Colorado, is just as bad as not advertising on television. I use my computer more than I watch TV. I hate ads that appear in the middle of my favourite shows, and therefore choose to get them 'ad free'...so how do you market to someone in that situation? You utilise all forms of media. A combination of the two would be great, but how much exposure would a TV ad actually get? For high end vehicles, it's probably wise to advertise on television, as the average 30 year old can't afford a G6E and the average 60 year old doesn't spend their time watching youtube to see the ad's.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #63
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh my god i just seen an ad for the falcon sedan and ute!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #64
jixel 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
My company's SZ TX diesel Territory is very economical. It surpasses the VE wagon for payload capacity and craps all over the VE for fuel economy. I believe my dad is averaging mid 8's city driving in it. Futher to that driving position and vision are very good.

Many folk do complain about fuel consumption in their petrol SUV's, no doubt about it. Mazda CX-9 especially, it averages mid to high teens fuel consumption city driving. Mate of mine works for Mazda, apparently customers come in fuming and absolutely furious the fuel usage doesn't get anywhere near the sticker value.
I cant complain about my VEs fuel consumption. 12 around town. 7-8 on a long run. But hey, I should be hating it shouldnt I?All the talk of rubbish steering and torqueless engines are pure myths. Meh. Territorys do nothing for me. Sorry for that.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #65
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixel 78
I cant complain about my VEs fuel consumption. 12 around town. 7-8 on a long run. But hey, I should be hating it shouldnt I?All the talk of rubbish steering and torqueless engines are pure myths. Meh. Territorys do nothing for me. Sorry for that.
On flat running our hire car SV6 wouldn't go below 9.0 to 9.5, must be something in the fuel up around Cairns,
I found the fuel economy to be similar to my work R6 with 5-speed auto,
sorry but this particular Sportwagon wasn't that good...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You know, it's easy to look at FoA with a glass half empty view but the positive side of this
is how much imported Ford product is now selling and that combined sales tell a tale of how
much the market has shifted away from big cars. I see Ford near future product deliveries
of:
CARS: Figo, Fiesta, Focus Mondeo, Falcon,
SUVs: EcoSport New Kuga, Ranger, Everest, Territory
and transit

That line up looks pretty comprehensive and should deliver improved sales to Ford when the gaps are filled.
Its no good having these new additions to the line up when they continually get shafted on supply from Europe, or Thailand with Ranger (although they are doing something about this). Have can they compete with one hand continually tied behind their back.

This is one thing thats serious grinds my gears. This has been going on for years yet Ford seem either unwilling, or unable to fix this. Did FoA get it on with FoE's mother or something.

I wonder if FoA get asked by Detroit to explain their financial losses, and wether they say they wouldn't be so bad if we didn't get continually screwed with stock levels.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #67
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

BOSSXR8 I also agree this import thing is a joke...excuse excuse excuse....

But I also think that there is part of Ford NA that dont really care if FoA is loosing a bit of coin on manufacturing. Sure its not good, and you make steps to fix it but when they are making billions its a drop in the ocean. The R&D stuff that they do here far outweighs the loss, I would think. Not acceptable, but nothing to slash your wrists over.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 10-06-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its just lucky that Ford US are raking in billions, cause if this had of been happening 3 or 4 years ago when Ford was fighting off potential bankruptcy you'd have to wonder wether Ford US would have been willing to accept the losses.

I remember being told during the bleak AU days that if the factory burnt down it would not be rebuilt. Ford US were losing a lot of money then too.

I would have thought that with the situation in Europe at the moment sales would be down and it would be easier for Ford to get supplies from there. Doesn't seem to be the case.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #69
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I would have thought that with the situation in Europe at the moment sales would be down and it would be easier for Ford to get supplies from there. Doesn't seem to be the case.
That's because they adjust domestic production, exports to Australia come last..because of unique changes/wiring for ADRs..
I only wish Ford would award Australia Mondeo and Kuga production for FAPA region.....I think Broady could do it.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #70
bmorris

Seen a few adds on tv over the last week for the falcon and falcon ute. I believe it said something about 5 year factory warranty on the utes. This is something FoA could do with all their vehicles to help increase the faith of the buying public in their products.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #71
robertjp

With all the negative publicity Ford has been receiving over the years, the public perception is one like Mitsubishi which had been hounded for yeards before the pin was eventually pulled (the CEO was Ex. GMH) Knowing that there are problems in the supply chain and marketing does'nt necessarily mean that they are willing to change the status quo. Drove the last Fairlane and was amazed how good it was, styling aside, yet they couldn't find people to buy what is a good car.

As has been stated with the marked improvement in NA, hopefully the tide is turning to look at the rest of the world and identify what is needed to be done to gain an accptable return on assets.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #72
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjp
With all the negative publicity Ford has been receiving over the years, the public perception is one like Mitsubishi which had been hounded for yeards before the pin was eventually pulled (the CEO was Ex. GMH) Knowing that there are problems in the supply chain and marketing does'nt necessarily mean that they are willing to change the status quo. .
1) The real reason Falcon and Commodore sales are low is because Fleet buyers are abandoning them,

2) Retail buyers already have an overwhelming preference for anything other than a large sedan.

3) Last month, Ford sold a total of 7738 , that's up 13.3% compared to last year
so lost Falcon sales are being replaced by an increase in imported Fords.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #73
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I dont think the brand is hurting, as mentioned previous unfortunately the Falcon has a stigma. Hate to say it but if they ever go GRWD then they might be better with a name change.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #74
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its no good having these new additions to the line up when they continually get shafted on supply from Europe, or Thailand with Ranger (although they are doing something about this). Have can they compete with one hand continually tied behind their back.

This is one thing thats serious grinds my gears. This has been going on for years yet Ford seem either unwilling, or unable to fix this. Did FoA get it on with FoE's mother or something.

I wonder if FoA get asked by Detroit to explain their financial losses, and wether they say they wouldn't be so bad if we didn't get continually screwed with stock levels.
Mate, that's a totally negative view to have of the situation, Australia is at the end of the Earth
and it's darned hard to schedule manufacturing to suit unique variances for local design regs.

Use that bottleneck as justification to implement the use of some low cost "soft stamps" for
limited production runs of new Kuga/Escape and Mondeo/Fusion so our market is well stocked.
Geelong should be reconfigured to allow I-4 Ecoboost and I-4 diesel assembly line.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #75
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I only wish Ford would award Australia Mondeo and Kuga production for FAPA region.....I think Broady could do it.
This is what Bill Osborne wanted...he wanted to make everything here.

I think Geelong Engine should be re-tooled to build the 2.7TDCi here so they can make it available in the Falcon ute. This would replace the effective role of the LPi motor. It's a shame the LPi isnt selling better than it is.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #76
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.9% comparative rate is pretty exciting stuff for buyers and
on a $20,000 deal they are only paying around $600 interest a year

Compare that with Esanda financing at 11% or 2,200/year and you can
immediately see the savings over three year terms with balloon are huge.

Maybe Ford should look at reintroducing Ford credit and Red Carpet leases..
I think those kinds of leases work well with Sub $25K products (affordability).
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #77
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shop around for finance..I got 9.6% for refinancing my car. going rate is around 11%...
Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #78
xrystl

I'm surprised !! FORD has a Marketing department !!!
The Marketing dept and Product planning must be allocated way out the back in a little shed on it's own and never consulted about anything.
Why don't we have a Diesel Falcon ? why wasn't there a Diesel Territory from the start ? - I'm on the Gold Coast and I have yet to see an FG series 2 .
I have just been reading the specs on the Toyota 86 , when the dealers get stocks of these , young buyers won't be going anywhere near a Ford or Holden dealer as the 86 ticks all the boxes and then some .
IMHO Ford and Holden dealers are a lot of the reason people don't buy the products , and Ford have probably been the worst of the two ; if you don't trust the dealer why would you go into his showroom?? .
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #79
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If Ford had a better finance deal then Id probably make more effort to look at a falcon. Fact of the matter is for me I have a young family, about to jump into a mortgage again and I dont like spending $40k min on a Falcon when I can get a VW Jetta (for example) that does just about everything I need in the short term for $26k that I can pay upfront.

If ford had a deal like Merc at the moment, 50% now and 50% in two years with no repayments in between id be all over it....just got to much on at the moment to drop that extra cash. My situation will change drastically in a couple of years then I will be able to step up the ranks a bit.

I know many people in my situation that are just not in the position to put bulk cash down on a car, the economy is all over the place. Fully financing while an option is not something that I do do either.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #80
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
If Ford had a better finance deal then Id probably make more effort to look at a falcon. Fact of the matter is for me I have a young family, about to jump into a mortgage again and I dont like spending $40k min on a Falcon when I can get a VW Jetta (for example) that does just about everything I need in the short term for $26k that I can pay upfront.
If you are going to quote the base model of one car, do the same for the Falcon!! A quick search of carsales.com.au shows you can get a brand new seden Falcon for 29K & a VW Jetta for 25K. That is only 4K difference & far from the 14K you have in your post..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #81
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah but if I am going to buy a Falcon Im not getting a XT, it would be a XR6T as manual is a prerequisite. So base manual would then be a XR6 NA which uses more fuel to boot. Id look at a Mondeo but again, no manual.

Point also was a $26k Jetta meets the family needs just as much as the Falcon, thats perhaps another one of the Falcons (and commy's) issues. So its not all marketing but a huge shift over the past few years in the number of options available.

Theres just not enough enticement to buy a Falcon, for me anyway.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #82
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
If ford had a deal like Merc at the moment, 50% now and 50% in two years with no repayments in between id be all over it....just got to much on at the moment to drop that extra cash. My situation will change drastically in a couple of years then I will be able to step up the ranks a bit.
No doubt this deal would come with a lot of strings attached. Like paying full retail for starters, and then in 2 years when the other 50% falls due, how much will the car be worth? In the case of a Falcon, it would be worth the 50% you paid for it 2 years prior.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #83
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
No doubt this deal would come with a lot of strings attached. Like paying full retail for starters, and then in 2 years when the other 50% falls due, how much will the car be worth? In the case of a Falcon, it would be worth the 50% you paid for it 2 years prior.
I honestly have not looked fully into it nor done the maths as I am not buying a Merc. But take a XR6T for example, call it $45k, im pretty sure in 2 years time you it would be worth $22.5k....The 50/50 deal would no doubt have conditions..and you would get bent over if you stuffed up but thats not Mercs problem its the buyers. Merc is just trying to get cars out the door.

It would suit me because then I get a bigger and better car, Ford get a sale and I either pay the rest in full in two or finance it myself, or if Ford had finance then get it through them if things changed within that time.

Point is that would get me in a new Falcon now and not later. I could buy a new/used Falcon but why? I can get something else new with full warranty.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #84
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm confused, you say that a $26K Jetta suits your needs but then
you place heavy preconditions on which Falcon you would buy.....

It's as though if you can't get the Falcon you want, a lesser example won't do.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #85
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm confused, you say that a $26K Jetta suits your needs but then
you place heavy preconditions on which Falcon you would buy.....

It's as though if you can't get the Falcon you want, a lesser example won't do.
Yes how does that not make sense? If I am going to buy a falcon thats going to use more fuel etc then I get one I want. The transmission thing is a personal choice but its one we want. If Im getting a falcon then my fuel consumption goes up, the difference between a NA XR6 and a T isnt huge.

If they made a XT in EB4 with a manual then Id look at that perhaps, but like I said, you cant even buy a mondeo in a manual unless you get an older XR5.

The manual decision has nothing to do with performance for us, we just prefer them, so much so I will change the make/model to suit.

I also did note that I didnt have $40k to drop on a falcon at this instant, but if Ford wanted my business on a Falcon then incite me, do some 2.9% deal like the others etc. Otherwise I am happy with my midsizer even if its FWD.

I didnt mean it to be an investigation into my buying decision, just an example of why I am not buying a Falcon...yet.

As the topic is about marketing I consider finance offerings part of this.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #86
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$26.5k for the base model Jetta. Plus options, plus onroads? You don't get much with a base model Jetta surely? Much like all Euro cars. You'd be better off going for a diesel Mazda 3.

Sorry, just read your last post. Don't mean to get into your buying decision too much. Just seemed a bit strange is all.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #87
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes how does that not make sense? If I am going to buy a falcon thats going to use more fuel etc then I get one I want.
EcoLPI XR6 special?

Or just buy a GT and stick it on the mortgage...
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #88
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a feeling a lot of us wouldnt be having to convince ourselves to buy a Falcon if it came in diesel. I think it would hit that perfect sweet spot between our heads, hearts and wallets.

EB4 and EcoLPI as good as they are, just arnt going to get buyers signing on the dotted line. If we are having to rely on a finance deal.... well I wonder how much appeal the vehicle has in its current form.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I didnt mean it to be an investigation into my buying decision, just an example of why I am not buying a Falcon...yet.

As the topic is about marketing I consider finance offerings part of this.
Just havin' fun with you mate, that's the beauty of buying a Falcon, economy-mid range performace - Top end fun...it's all up to the buyer...
Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #90
drwevil

yeah the lack of advertising is a bit disheartening....

You would think in the run up the the EOFY there would be deals galore.

At the EcoBoost Media launch I quizzed one of the Ford people about dropping the wagon and was told it was something to do with the longer wheel base and emissions.......sounds like BS to me...maybe with the longer wheel base it needed its own production line..

I love my XR6 EcoLPI but if you push it OMG its thirsty...fun but thirsty. My wife ran it out of gas and she reckoned it didn't warn her, so she put some gas in and was about 130k till empty, so i took it for a hoon in the back roads around Lara. I used 50k's plus of gas in about 20 mins or less. Im glad there was no cops around it would have cost me a packet and maybe my licence... ;)

Yes the 80k warning works
drwevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post