Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #61
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Re: Hyundai Veloster a sell-out success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Genesis sedan isn't coming here, Hyundai has already said so. Only the coupe, which is turbo 4 and V6, not V8.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577D6001865C9
Ford US is just staring at cars like this in it's own market whilst thinking: "Duuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh"

As regards the Veloster. Has a cool name, funky look, reasonable price. And I'm sure unlike Ford's will be marketed well. Or even just marketed. Not a bad car to be sure. And the punters have voted... doubling estimates.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #62
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It didn't just double estimates, it tripled them. In its first month. If they had more stock I'm sure they would have sold more too.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #63
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
It didn't just double estimates, it tripled them. In its first month. If they had more stock I'm sure they would have sold more too.
Yeah I knew it was something like that. Still great results anyway.
Old 30-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched

While I am not fan of Toyota your comments are incorrect, they actually do care about what enthusiasts think. The company CEO Akio Toyoda is a race fan, actually competed in the LeMans race. He cares very much what people have thought about the company and has since taking over the reins dedicated his time to turning the perception of his company around, when researching the 86/BRZ they went to many tuners and spoke to many customers about what it is they want in the car which has brought about the 86 in its current form. Lets not forget the Supras, the MR2s, LFA, etc.
I'm aware of the CEO and what his plans may be, but releasing one car isn't going to change the whole companies perception, and he seems to be the only one who gives a rats, the rest don't care. And just look at the massive hammering they needed to do to just even get the 86 on the drawing board, let alone in production. It faced massive opposition from most of the company's executives and needed the CEO to put his foot down and say we are doing this despite what you may think to get it done. Makes me wonder if things will actually change or not, if its that much of a drama to do sports models. Just shows how ingrained the cardigan wearers are, which I find hard to understand because Toyota has such a strong sports car and racing heritage going back to the 2000GT, Supra, Celicas, MR2, AE86, LeMans, WRC championship winners etc.

Seems like he's a lone T shirt amongst the cardigans.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #65
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
LOL estimates..what did they estimate it on? Previous Veloster sales?

Nothing like aiming low to make your figures look good and make a quick news story.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #66
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL estimates..what did they estimate it on? Previous Veloster sales?

Nothing like aiming low to make your figures look good and make a quick news story.
They would have had to have made up a business case for the car for Australia before selling it here. Those would have been their estimations based on the small warm hatch market in Australia. The fact that people are being told they have to wait more than 3 months for a new one before the turbo version has even been released I think speaks volumes about the popularity of the product.

Whether the bubble will burst or not we will have to wait and see. Personally, I think it should have a steady stream of interest and buyers.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #67
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A waiting list on a Hyundai. Imagine saying that back in 1996!
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #68
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was told we would have a wait of about 3 months for my wife's ix35 diesel, we bought a demo with 500k's a week later as we heard of people being quoted 3 months wait and actually waiting closer to 5 or 6 months.
Old 31-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #69
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'm aware of the CEO and what his plans may be, but releasing one car isn't going to change the whole companies perception, and he seems to be the only one who gives a rats, the rest don't care. And just look at the massive hammering they needed to do to just even get the 86 on the drawing board, let alone in production. It faced massive opposition from most of the company's executives and needed the CEO to put his foot down and say we are doing this despite what you may think to get it done. Makes me wonder if things will actually change or not, if its that much of a drama to do sports models. Just shows how ingrained the cardigan wearers are, which I find hard to understand because Toyota has such a strong sports car and racing heritage going back to the 2000GT, Supra, Celicas, MR2, AE86, LeMans, WRC championship winners etc.

Seems like he's a lone T shirt amongst the cardigans.
I beg to differ.
Look at the publicity this car has got. People cannot wait to get their hands on it and by all reports so far it is a pretty decent bit of kit, a good starting base for modders which was the whole idea.
yes toyota brought our some bland rubbish for the last decade or so but the 86 is the start of a change.
Yes they basically had to draw blood out of a stone to get the car through but it got through and who knows, if it is successful it may make bringing another such vehicle out a lot easier. It may pave the way for a Supra.

What did you really expect him and his engineers to do just sit there and keep going the way they are? It takes someone with a bit of grit between the teeth to lead an organisation, to turn it around into a positive light to the public. Sound familiar?
Old 16-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #70
Executer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
It looks dead set horrid on the road. Good luck to the metros.

lmao.
Executer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #71
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe ford marketing need to look at hyundai for some marketing ideas.good one hyundai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMJ8D...layer_embedded
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #72
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i saw one of these in the flesh the other day, , they do have a look about them , still a bit goofy looking from the front imo , but it has a very nice side profile, not bad inside.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #73
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

If they are selling as well as they are, Hyundai must be doing something right.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #74
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Finally saw one on the road in Ballina and thought the back end of it was ugly as, however the front and side views were nice and I can see where they might appeal to the average punter.

Hyundai have really picked up their act and are producing cars people want to buy. We've even thought about replacing the Paj with an i40 wagon.
Old 17-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #75
Corzza

Drove one over the weekend. Its not too shabby. Needs a bit more power so will be keen to test the turbo variant when it hits the market

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #76
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Delete post please

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #77
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
If I get the chance to buy wifey a new car next year, I'll certainly look at the turbo version, along with MPS 3, Golf GTi. The requirements and small to mid size, has a bit of poke but must handle well....What does Fraud offer under 40k?
Well calling it 'Fraud' already shows your bias, but if you must know, FORD will by next year offer the Focus ST - should have more than enough poke with 184kW/360Nm, 0-100km/hr in 6.5sec and an improved handling set-up on the already highly praised Focus chassis. The ST will certainly be on my shopping list and will be priced competively with the cars you mention (going by what it is being priced at overseas).

Now back to Hyundai - they are great commuter vehicles; their cars are reliable enough, don't do anything badly (don't excel at anything either) but most importantly they are priced in that affordable 'sweet spot' that has buyers, who aren't enthusiasts, flocking to the brand.

For me a Hyundai will never be on the short list until they learn to set up the suspension properly - it seems to be a bit of an after thought at Hyundai? That being said; if the Turbo version of the Veloster is out by the time I am ready to buy the ST, I will have a look at it.

"Torque is the new horsepower"

Last edited by Chilliman; 17-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #78
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
For me a Hyundai will never be on the short list until they learn to set up the suspension properly - it seems to be a bit of an after thought at Hyundai? That being said; if the Turbo version of the Veloster is out by the time I am ready to buy the ST, I will have a look at it.
Ford are no better. There are only a hand full of manufactures out there that nail the suspension setup from factory.... and they all come with a hefty price tag.

Going by the latest versions of the Genesis Coupe, Hyundai are on track to produce a dam good enthusiasts car that will give the bigger brands a run for their money.

I'm hoping that Hyundai bring the Coupe out here to go head to head with FT86 and the BRZ
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #79
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

That rear end is hideous.
Old 17-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #80
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
Ford are no better. There are only a hand full of manufactures out there that nail the suspension setup from factory.... and they all come with a hefty price tag.
Sorry, but I just can't agree with you there. Almost every Ford that I have driven (be it Australian or European, RWD or FWD) handles and steers excellently, although there are rare exceptions (such as the new Focus). No, I haven't driven the Veloster, but my friend's new Accent was a dour drive. It seems that most reviews (for both the Veloster and Accent) are in agreement with my view. If I were in the market, I'd be buying a Fiesta Zetec diesel, and getting torque, better economy, great looks and a fourth door as bonuses, not to mention the driving experience. Who said that you had to spend BMW money to get a great handling car?
Conversely, the Toyota 86 seems to be getting glowing reviews, which is surprising as Toyota produces some of the most uninspiring cars on the market. Some have even compared it to the MX-5, or even a Porsche Cayman! I can't wait until I can test drive one as it seems to deliver the goods.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #81
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Well calling it 'Fraud' already shows your bias, but if you must know, FORD will by next year offer the Focus ST - should have more than enough poke with 184kW/360Nm, 0-100km/hr in 6.5sec and an improved handling set-up on the already highly praised Focus chassis. The ST will certainly be on my shopping list and will be priced competively with the cars you mention (going by what it is being priced at overseas).

Now back to Hyundai - they are great commuter vehicles; their cars are reliable enough, don't do anything badly (don't excel at anything either) but most importantly they are priced in that affordable 'sweet spot' that has buyers, who aren't enthusiasts, flocking to the brand.

I think that you've got the Hyundai buyer profile worked out. People will not buy this car not because it's a scalpel-sharp corner carver. Instead, they'll buy it because it looks like a Megane RS, except it's cheaper and offers more interior kit. Unfortunately, in one respect (that being handling and steering), Hyundai have modelled themselves on Toyota (although not quite to the same extent, thankfully). Yes, they've improved, but they're still kilometres behind, say, Ford or Mazda.

Hyundais just don't suit me. I've slagged off these kinds of cars before, but they're for a different type of buyer.
Old 17-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #82
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Yep the ST will be a good car, BUT i can near promise it WONT be under 40k.
Old 17-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #83
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Almost every Ford that I have driven (be it Australian or European, RWD or FWD) handles and steers excellently, although there are rare exceptions (such as the new Focus).

I haven't driven the new Focus, but from what I've read its quite good dynamically. A masterpiece for its class I think Wheels said.

You dont agree?
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #84
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Sorry, but I just can't agree with you there. Almost every Ford that I have driven (be it Australian or European, RWD or FWD) handles and steers excellently, although there are rare exceptions (such as the new Focus).
Ever driven a Focus, its one of if not the best chassis in its class. Hence why it wasnt changed much from LV to LW.
Old 17-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #85
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
I haven't driven the new Focus, but from what I've read its quite good dynamically. A masterpiece for its class I think Wheels said.

You dont agree?

didnt ford territory also win wheels car of the year when it was first released??how'd that work out??lol
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #86
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized

You dont agree?
Wheels also gave it's last Coty to a Honda Hybrid that has been heavily criticised as very average by most International Car Mags.... Wheels is a very poor excuse for a car mag, and any opinion of theirs should be disregarded by any learned car enthusiast.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #87
Buntz
Straight Eight

I don't know why people are ragging on this car. Sure it's a Hyundai, but it's such a unique vehicle, and it looks hot.

If it had a Ford badge, people here would be building altars to it, and raving on about why it's not an SUV yet? Why it doesn't have EcoBoost yet? WHY DOESN'T IT HAVE A BENCH SEAT? No RTV version?

I don't like how this upstart is taking away consumers from our precious Ford. But they're selling cars, that are fine, and most importantly cheap. It's just unfortunate that everyone in the world isn't a car enthusiast.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #88
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Ever driven a Focus, its one of if not the best chassis in its class. Hence why it wasnt changed much from LV to LW.
Yes I have, LS auto. I absolutely loved it. However, I was under the impression that the underpinnings were completely redone for the new model (except for the multi link IRS), and it was the LR to LS transition where things pretty much stayed the same. According the European car reviewers, the car is a step back from the old one in terms of dynamics and especially steering feel (the most important criterion when choosing a car IMO). One magazine described the car as being 'not very fun to drive, unlike previous Focuses' (I know those behind this mag know what they're talking about as they stated that the Mondeo was the best Ford available). I know that I trust them a lot more than I do Wheels. Regarding the arbitrary COTY choices, if you think that their last COTY was unfair, check out the results of the 2007 COTY.
Yes, the new car improved in areas such as ride quality and NVH, but I honestly do not care about those attributes. As well as this, the new Focus is a step backwards in terms of safety, interior space, interior ergonomics and the availability of a manual sedan. Because of this, when the mid year uni break comes around, I am probably going to buy myself an ex demo LVII Focus manual (most likely LX sedan, but I'll see what's available then).
Old 17-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #89
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Wheels also gave it's last Coty to a Honda Hybrid that has been heavily criticised as very average by most International Car Mags.... Wheels is a very poor excuse for a car mag, and any opinion of theirs should be disregarded by any learned car enthusiast.
That's not to say that they're always wrong, but sometimes I just think they have no idea about what they're talking about (such as giving the Polo a win in a comparison against a Fiesta).
Old 17-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I am probably going to buy myself an ex demo LVII Focus manual (most likely LX sedan, but I'll see what's available then).
I'd advise against this, I've got an LV Focus and it handles junk, it bodyrolls like the Costa Concordia and the interior is pretty crappy compared to the WS Fiesta, the shift is like driving a truck on my 6sp manual, lots of throw.

I'd go for a WS Fiesta over the LV Focus, the Fiesta handles like its on rails and has a sweet shifting 5 speed.

Go the diesel and get it tuned
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post