Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #61
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: VFACTS Nov- Territory overtakes Falcon!

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25795E0020FD31

Hiccup puts NZ sales in reverse

Quote:
New Zealand vehicle sales slip 0.7 per cent as election, Thai floods add to woes

6 December 2011

By JACQUI MADELIN in NEW ZEALAND

NEW ZEALAND new-vehicle sales hit another speed bump in November, down 0.7 per cent on the same month last year, to 7328 units.

Distributors cite a triple whammy – the distraction of the election, continuing supply issues from the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, and supply constraints after Thailand’s floods.

New passenger car registrations took the hit, dropping 3.8 per cent to 5644 sales, while light commercial registrations rose 11.7 per cent to 1684.

Used import numbers fell 10.2 per cent, to 7266.

Despite the November slip, the NZ new vehicle industry is running 4.9 per cent ahead of 2010 year to date, at 78,164 vehicles.

NZ Motor Industry Association CEO Perry Kerr said the November numbers reflected the serious stock shortages that impacted on the industry.

“Commercial sales are buoyant, however, so there must be some life in the underlying economy,” he said.

Toyota continues its domination of the market with a 21 per cent share, despite a 16.8 per cent fall in sales over November 2010, to 1538.

Toyota NZ chief executive Alistair Davis said the drop was due to a combination of factors, with short supply of HiLux out of Thailand and less predictable rental car demand this year.

“The Rugby World Cup distorted some things,” he said.

However, he expects a big December with stock arriving to fill demand.

Mr Davis says that although HiLux production has restarted, Toyota NZ had lost between 500 and 1000 units.

“Some buyers will wait, others will buy whatever is available,” he said.

Second-placed Ford held its own with a 0.7 per cent rise, to 920 sales, followed by Holden, up 26 per cent to 820.

Holden general marketing manager Matt Woodley said 60 Barina sales in its first full month helped – last year’s average was 15 to 20 a month – and there was strong rental demand in new model lines.

“We were one of few with a strong retail campaign including TV – Holden is constantly in front of people,” he said.

Holden was not impacted by ute shortages, Mr Woodley said, with Colorado sales modest but slightly above last year.

Hyundai sales rose 9.5 per cent to 577 units, to relegate Mazda to fifth place, down 9.7 per cent to 484 vehicles.

Mazda national marketing manager Glenn Harris said sales excluding rentals were up 11.5 per cent.

“There was a small residual effect of supply disruptions following the March earthquake in Japan and some impact stemming from the Thailand floods,” he said.

“However, we have a good inventory position going into December and look forward to consolidating the introduction of the all-new BT-50 and new Mazda3.”

Nissan is in a holding pattern, up 2.2 per cent with 418 sales, likewise Mitsubishi, up 1.7 per cent to 359.

Suzuki fell 29 per cent to 304. Suzuki marketing GM Tom Peck said: “Private market share has gone down.

“We’re in the private market, and that hurts. The election caused disruption and uncertainty, no doubt, but we’re happy we’ll finish the year well ahead.”

Mr Peck commented that a European recession and its impact on exchange rates would have an effect.

“Our value against the US dollar in the last Euro meltdown dropped 10 cents in a matter of a few days, which impacts us because we buy more in US dollars than most car distributors, as we buy motorcycles in US dollars too,” he said.

Volkswagen had another good month, its sales rising 19.7 per cent to 273, with Kia rounding out the top 10 on 224.

Toyota Corolla regained top spot on the model charts with 439 sales in November, followed by Ford Ranger at 264, HiLux on 259 and Hyundai i30 at 238.

November NZ sales
Brand Sales Share %
Toyota 1538 21.0
Ford 920 12.6
Holden 820 11.2
Hyundai 577 7.9
Mazda 484 6.6
Nissan 418 5.7
Mitsubishi 359 4.9
Suzuki 304 4.2
Volkswagen 273 3.7
Kia 224 3.1
Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #62
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Falcon ute outsold commodore ute by over 100 units. Mondeo up 300 units compared to last year (632).

Would mondeo be cannibalising falcon sales or bringing in new sales? Its almost the size of a falcon but has better fuel economy and a diesel option.

It would be interesting to see the sales breakdown of petrol/diesel for mondeo.

Ford need to advertise Ranger more, try to steal some of the Hilux sales (Ranger & Mazda equiv. should be built here).
Ranger is only being sold as dual cab 4X4 5 cylinder atm, they still have single and space cabs to come and the rwd, plus 4 cylinder petrol and diesel, as well as Wildtrak.

Once they get the full range on sale it should do very well.

Caprice sales 102. Just a matter of time before its killed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #63
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
That line of questioning was actually started within the company by Polites (iirc) and was not directed at market appeal (which it obviously has) but the fact that there are no whole-of-life operating cost savings to be made by owning a diesel.

Of course the market doesn't see it that rationally and so Ford has gone with the market and will make hay while the sun shines - which will be till the middle east goes pear shaped, then diesel will be prioritised to essential uses and it won't be the greatest idea owning a diesel private car.

The savings of diesel are at the pump only. Personally I'd put my money on gas or at least a petrol engine that can be converted to gas. At least I know I won't have any WOL cost disbenefits compared to diesel.

Of course if you actually need diesel for towing or whatever that's a different issue.

Absolutely spot on. I have yet to see a "rational" market anywhere, that's why you try to build what people actually want as evidenced in their cold, hard buying habits. Markets never lie, quite simply because we-the-people ARE the market. Diesel it is.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #64
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Yes, sorry, I got my CEOs mixed up!

Ford have said that they won't do a gas Territory because it must be a 5 seater and they place highest priority on keeping the 7 seat option across the range.

Personally I would be happy with 5 seats with EcoLPI if it was the only option but apparently I don't represent the market.
Me too! Not "rational behaviour", but I'd give up the extra 2 seats that we use sparingly for 1/2 the fuel costs!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #65
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ranger is only being sold as dual cab 4X4 5 cylinder atm, they still have single and space cabs to come and the rwd, plus 4 cylinder petrol and diesel, as well as Wildtrak.

Once they get the full range on sale it should do very well.

Caprice sales 102. Just a matter of time before its killed
Nearly as many sold here as they sold as PPV / cop cruiser in the USA last month. Woeful sales in both markets. I reckon it will be 12-18 months before the LWB Holden is killed off.

Thought the Ranger supplies are stuffed due to the Thai flooding???

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

That has had a bit of an impact but the range is not even half full yet, so many variants are yet to arrive yet.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #67
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Followed a Territory this morning on the way into work .. I couldn't work out why even at a distance I could see the damn thing smoking whenever it took off or slowed down. When I finally got closer I saw it was a Titanium so I understood it was a newer model with the diesel.
Might be fuel efficient, but why do they smoke so much??
i have been behind a few terri diesels , have`nt seen any smoking yet, maybe it was a cold start thing, i have seen the odd navara, throwing out a smoke screen , possibly the same thing, there`s probably no way of getting around the fact that they are a compression ignition engine.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I have followed a few new diesel Territorys and when they are under power, there's a little bit of work smoke.
Kinda surprising for a "clean engine".......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #69
cartaa100
FG POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I have followed a few new diesel Territorys and when they are under power, there's a little bit of work smoke.

a bit like every diesel? instead of blowing continuos black smoke they unload "diesel dump" when you push the pedal harder.

new diesel terry is great!! 9.4L city driving atm, much better than my xr6 at 13.3

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #70
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
new diesel terry is great!! 9.4L city driving atm, much better than my xr6 at 13.3
Great reason to buy them with economy like that Plenty seem to be getting sixes to the hundred on the highway too!

As JP has often alluded to with the average transaction price so much better than Falcon for a vehicle that wouldn't be too much more expensive to make it is doing Ford's bottom line the world of good.

Now to get that diesel in FG Falcon...

Retrotech thread
Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
Perhaps some Falcon buyers are discovering Territory Diesel offers
better fuel economy and more utility: 1774 Vs 1483 sales....
Old 08-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #72
blk6t

Are there any figures for FPV in detail?

I am keen to see the break up between the GT vs GS vs F6...
Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #73
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Perhaps some Falcon buyers are discovering Territory Diesel offers
better fuel economy and more utility: 1774 Vs 1483 sales....
I would certainly entertain the idea of a Territory diesel as our next family car.

We had considered a SY Territory when we bought the FG. It came down to getting a newer design with better consumption. So the FG won.

Think that in a few more years a new Territory will replace our sedan. Somewhere in the mean time I will hopefully get another Ute, either a 2 year old FG GS S/C or XR6T.

Retrotech thread
Old 08-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #74
prydey
Rob

i fail to see the fascination with diesel in large cars. its not massively more economical, its dearer at the pump and overall running costs are dearer. most diesels also attract a price premium, so 'overall' not many people would be better off.

spending less money at the pump doesn't make it cheaper to own.

there was a graph put up a while back, and private diesel sales are still well behind.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #75
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
True. However, the average person who has to find the money out of their back pocket (ie. not a lease) notices that they get 800km+ out of a tank of diesel instead of 500-600km for petrol. That advantage is noticed every single time they fill up. Servicing costs are higher for diesel, but that's only once or twice a year, which people can deal with around payday.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #76
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
True. However, the average person who has to find the money out of their back pocket (ie. not a lease) notices that they get 800km+ out of a tank of diesel instead of 500-600km for petrol. That advantage is noticed every single time they fill up. Servicing costs are higher for diesel, but that's only once or twice a year, which people can deal with around payday.
its short sighted though. diesels attract a 3-5k price premium using the territory as an example (i'm not against diesels in suv/4wd though). the diesel has a combined fuel consumption figure around 2-2.5L/100km better than the petrol version, so for 800km it would save you around 16-20L or about $30. thats a lot of time to make up the difference in purchase price between them.

i'm just saying its not the massive saviour that some think it would be. i think small capacity turbo engines are much better and this is where the future is if you look around the auto world.

fuel is priced on supply v demand. the price of diesel will rarely be cheaper than petrol.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #77
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Latest tech diesels from BMW and such makers can deliver a combined fuel consumption of 5 - 6 ltr in large/heavy cars ... to do the same with a smaller capacity turbocharged engine is almost impossible at this stage while still offering great power (e.g. 500nm of torque from effectively idle) and offering anywhere near the same economy ...

So the overall market perception of diesel is highly regarded and hence buyers flog to them ... lastly diesel is cheaper in most parts of the world vs petrol.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #78
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Latest tech diesels from BMW and such makers can deliver a combined fuel consumption of 5 - 6 ltr in large/heavy cars ...
links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
... lastly diesel is cheaper in most parts of the world vs petrol.
we live in australia, not most parts of the world.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #79
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
links?
http://www.caradvice.com.au/141445/2...range-updated/

Quote:
If you want a diesel, the entry model 520d now retails for $80,700 (previously $83,300) and sips just 4.7L of diesel per 100km. Our favourite in the range, the 3.0-litre twin turbo 535d (now $120,900), has seen its power increase to 230kW meaning it now accelerates from 0-100km/h in 5.5 seconds and yes it’s a diesel, so fuel consumption remains at a ridiculously low 5.6L/100km. What other car can you think of that can do the 0-100km/h dash in 5.5 seconds or less and uses just 5.6L/100km?
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #80
prydey
Rob

impressive stuff!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #81
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i fail to see the fascination with diesel in large cars. its not massively more economical, its dearer at the pump and overall running costs are dearer. most diesels also attract a price premium, so 'overall' not many people would be better off.

there was a graph put up a while back, and private diesel sales are still well behind.

Once again there is a massive assumption that the car-buying process is in an incredibly rational process (Ford is guilty for thinking this too).

People think that diesels are cheaper or better or they want them. Ford can produce all the charts and diagrams about cost of ownsership in the world but if people want diesels then thats what they want. Instead of telling people what they want, they should be giving people what they want, vast majority of Mondeos and Territories are diesel - People want diesel, end of story.

People see 900km range out of a tank and thats what they fixate on, less times going to the servo, less fuel being used. They are big pluses.

If everyone was truly concerned about dollars and cents we would all be driving 3 year old ex-government Camrys and LPG Falcons.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #82
prydey
Rob

don't agree. diesel sales account for a large % of suv/4wd market, but that is all. of all the focus/mondeo etc i see around, very few have the tdci badge.

dug this out of the september sales thread.
Quote:
Code:
Total Market 2011

Passenger Private
Diesel 1,428
Electric 3
Hybrid 197
LPG 18
Petrol 21,921

Passenger Non-Private
Diesel 2,210
Electric 5
Hybrid 494
LPG 235
Petrol 21,189

SUV Private
Diesel 3,149
Hybrid 19
Petrol 6,639

SUV Non-Private
Diesel 4,409
Hybrid 16
Petrol 6,546

Light Commercial Private
Diesel 2,781
LPG 10
Petrol 1,379

Light Commercial Non-Private
Diesel 9,388
LPG 103
Petrol 2,254

Heavy Commercial 2,426

Total 86,819
this was posted by 'wretched'. i wonder if there is the same graph available for november

also, whilst this shows that petrol is still king for the large part, it would be interesting to see the breakdown for models where there is a choice of fuel. we are led to believe the territory sells mainly in diesel. i wonder if this is the same for all models that have a petrol and diesel version.

Last edited by prydey; 08-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #83
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit off topic but lets not forget that most European cars don not run happily on out 91RON ULP fuel.

Our 2.3L Mondeo for example, while it will run on 91RON fuel, it pings like crazy under load and fuel economy is about 0.5-1.0L/100km worse. So I only put 95RON in it at a minimum. 95RON fuel is always more expensive per litre than diesel here in WA.

So from fuelling alone, for the same $ we would be getting an additional 300kms per tank approx if the car had a diesel under the bonnet.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #84
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

535d is probably a bit lighter than the terri, but here`s another spec sheet, not really a fair comparison, cost 3 times as much?

2010 BMW 535d {F10**

Technical Specifications

2010 BMW 535d

Quick Facts

What body style?: sedan/saloon
How long?: 4899 mm
How wide?: 1860 mm
How heavy?: 1825 kg
What size engine?: 2993 cc
How many cylinders?: Inline 6
How powerful?: 299.6 PS / 295.5 bhp / 220.4 kW @ 4400 rpm
How much torque?: 600.0 Nm / 443 ft.lb / 61.2 kgm @ 1750 rpm
How quick? (Metric): 0-100 km/h in 5.70 seconds
How fast?: 250 km/h / 155 mph
What fuel economy?: 7.9/5.1/6.1 l/100km urban/extra-
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #85
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
A new Hilux booted it in front of me the other day, it was a bloody smoke screen!

In saying that, I love tree's I really do, but if I can lower my weekly fuel bill then what can ya do...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #86
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Being a new diesel passenger car buyer, I can tell you the main reason we chose the diesel over the petrol was because of the mid range punch. Where if petrol felt lifeless the diesel was effortless.

Now from an economics respective. Diesel where I live is CHEAPER than petrol. So to say diesel is always more expensive is a big assumption. We do around 20000km and should be using around 2.5l/100km less than the petrol so the savings should pay the extra $1500 for the initial purchase price. We keep our cars generally for about 5 years so the rest of the fuel savings will more than pay for the marginally highd servicing costs. Then in theory I should get better resale as well.

So yeah diesels are stupid.

The next Mazda 6 diesel with the skyactiv diesel should see consumption in the 4's while seeing an increase in torque and I think power as well.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #87
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really if private buyers were concerned about costs, they would buy an ex fleet car and keep it until its at least ten years old. Thats about the cheapest motoring you can do.

Of course car manufacturers have spent decades making sure that cars aren't a rational choice, but an emotional one. Hence the constant styling changes and equipment upgrades.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #88
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Really if private buyers were concerned about costs, they would buy an ex fleet car and keep it until its at least ten years old. Thats about the cheapest motoring you can do.
For every million new sales every year, there probably three of four million second hand vehicles sales..

Quote:
Of course car manufacturers have spent decades making sure that cars aren't a rational choice, but an emotional one. Hence the constant styling changes and equipment upgrades.
I think you're trying to pigeon hole every buyer one way or another but quite clearly,
people and their buying criteria are as diverse as the over 60 brands in our market.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #89
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

this was posted by 'wretched'. i wonder if there is the same graph available for november
Here are November's figures

[CODE] Month YTD
Total Market 2011 2010 2011 2010

Passenger Private
Diesel 1,717 1,637 18,232 20,838
Electric 1 0 8 0
Hybrid 191 115 2,065 1,603
LPG 5 9 73 285
Petrol 22,521 24,253 262,547 275,049

Passenger Non-Private
Diesel 2,266 1,880 22,677 21,395
Electric 2 1 38 112
Hybrid 514 556 5,374 5,973
LPG 121 195 1,389 4,511
Petrol 19,374 20,759 201,147 211,317

SUV Private
Diesel 3,863 2,948 34,666 33,051
Hybrid 47 83 316 474
Petrol 8,223 7,346 77,533 76,900

SUV Non-Private
Diesel 5,136 3,734 44,176 40,802
Hybrid 44 42 242 403
Petrol 6,869 6,653 64,836 65,100

Light Commercial Private
Diesel 2,802 2,573 30,568 25,373
LPG 7 11 223 299
Petrol 1,110 1,187 13,847 13,231

Light Commercial Non-Private
Diesel 9,104 8,319 95,671 93,092
LPG 89 213 1,167 2,578
Petrol 2,051 2,365 23,829 30,698

Heavy Commercial 2,597 2,463 25,354 25,903

Total 88,654 87,342 925,978 948,987

[/CODE]
Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #90
prydey
Rob

thanks wretched.

diesel in passenger cars well down on petrol.