Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #61
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Are older (but high end) cars classy and cool or embarrassing?

I'd love one of the old 560SECs .... very nice vehicle ... and still looks expensive/classy.

I do have a soft spot for a BMW 635CSi though ... one of the later ones that came out with Projector headlights. Electrics wouldn't probably by dodgy ... and finding a manual on carsales was not easy.

JPS 635 ... droooooooool

Old 25-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #62
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
The only time i start thinking they are ACTUALLY pathetic, is when the foolly *** hektic boys get their hands on them and do the whole big sub woofer and 20 inch bling wheels and then think they are gods gift because they bought a merc or most commonly a beemer. Lets not forget the Gold chains etc as well. We've all seen those types. otherwise i just see them as another 80's or 90's generic box on wheels.
Have you see that oldish Merc Coupe (2 door sedan?) that has been around Sydney's west for around 10 years?? Dropped 3-4 inches and has 19-20" wheels. Saw it last week in Bankstown, had wire wheels on it. Plates are ROLLIN or something similar.
Old 26-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #63
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
He thought he was king with his old mercedes.
Lol. Do you think you're a king with your old BA though?

Perspective.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 26-08-2011, 04:04 AM   #64
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

yes the porsche 911 964 Turbo 3.6 in badboys is so uncool

comon who wouldnt want the car will smith drives
Old 26-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #65
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A car from europe that really stands out for me though is the Jaguar E-Type Convertible
Old 26-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #66
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
A car is classic when it stands out not only from it's competitors, but also its' previous iterations. In this case there are many better looking older Mercedes models out there. The newer models are also better looking, so that leads me to conclude that 80's Mercedes are ugly Mercedes.

Case in point.
Yep the old gullwing. Undoubtedly a classic, you do not need to muster up a great deal of thought to offer that one for the taking.

560SEC is a modern classic, still to this day a special car, looked better than anything Mercedes produced in the early/mid90's (when all Mercs became boxes), almost everyone here has had good things to say about the pic I posted of the car.

You're still wrong, wrong, wrong..
Old 26-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #67
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I went to a party and there was a doctor who was chatting away sitting at a table. One guy noticed his mercedes keyring on the table and asked about his car. The guy said he also owned a mercedes and they would chat about their cars for a good hour. He thought he was on the same level as the doctor and above others at the party.

At the end of the night I saw the doctor get into a brand new mercedes and left, fantastic car. Then the other guy jumps into his big square mid 80s mercedes.

I seriously burst into laughter when I saw himm get in it. Talking like a big timer with the doctor. Maybe in 15 years time when the doctors car is 3-4 owners down the track he might pick it up. He thought he was king with his old mercedes.

Another time, my mate is a dealer principal and a guy was trying to trade in an early 90s mercedes. My mate wouldn't commit to a price and advised him politely to sell it privately. That guy was thinking around the 15-20k mark. My mate later told me he wouldn't pay $1000 for it.

What makes you think a doctor is on a level above anyone else?....Just because he is a doctor?. There's good and bad in every profession mate - even yours. I also don't believe you can judge a persons values by the type of car he drives either. You'll probably find the guy with the older Merc was an enthusiast who happens to know a lot more about the brand than the doctor who probably drives a Merc because he can afford it and otherwise has no interest in cars.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 26-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #68
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
this.

OP: if you honestly worry about what other people think about how 'cool' your choice of car is, and whether it's fashionable, maybe you should get into the latest range of man bags. Probably cheaper?
I think this says enough about HULK_BA's attitude...

Quote:
At the end of the night I saw the doctor get into a brand new mercedes and left, fantastic car. Then the other guy jumps into his big square mid 80s mercedes.

I seriously burst into laughter when I saw himm get in it. Talking like a big timer with the doctor. Maybe in 15 years time when the doctors car is 3-4 owners down the track he might pick it up. He thought he was king with his old mercedes.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 26-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #69
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm happy to be "lame" in my 10yr old Porsche. I bought the car a few years ago for performance not pose. Maybe that's the difference between auto fashionistas and auto enthusiasts.
Old 26-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #70
stooy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Gents,

My Brother has a 1986 XJ6, it was his first car at 17, he drove it all through uni and never got anything other than positive comments. It cost $70k new in 1986, cost him $13k. Drives very nicely.

Cheers

Stewart
1985 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Coupe - Iris Blue
1989 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado -4.0L V6 Manual JTG Liquid LPG Injected
Old 26-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #71
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolite
Hey HULK BA, I did exactly what you are saying.I purchased a 2000 CLK 320 because I have always loved this coupe and they still look good compared to todays cars. I dont give a damn what anyone else thinks. I could have purchased a number of newer cars but this is what I wanted. Does that make me pretentious or a laughing stock? Maybe the un-educated may think so.

Yeah baby. To this day, it's the only (affordable) Merc I'd be seen in. If I could get one today, I would. They are totally cool.

I think, with the exception of the very high end Mercs & BMWs, that the Germans are taking the **** with their current designs, seeing how ugly they have to make their cars before the brand snobs stop buying them. Case in point - the current CLK that looks like a squashed AU Falcon, and the Porsche Cayenne. They both make my eyes bleed from theri horridness. Worse than Susan Boyle does.

Not sure if they are as cool as XB Coupes, but one day I'll have both and do a roadside stare test. Suspect the XB will win that though, but probably more because of the colour and offensive V8 burble.
Old 26-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #72
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A ten year old car isn't really that old, isn't the average age of the Aussie car 11 years old?
But it's all open to opinion, I copped heaps of crap from mates when I was drving my e46 330Ci, most didn't realise it was a 2001 built car as the shape didn't change for many years and they also didn't realise some of their cars were far more expensive, slightly newer but with significantly less gadgets and safety items.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 26-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #73
MAD
Petro-sexual

Car 'love' is tough thing to describe to anyone that doesnt share your exact view. But then everyone doesnt get married to the same person either do they.

I still look at old photos of my XF and it still stirs something inside me.

Do I think people should look at me differently because my current car was worth ~$50k in 1997? (equivalent of $67k today) Hell no.
Do I enjoy driving my car, and do I tend to look back at it nearly everytime I walk away from it? Definitely.
Do I feel the same passion for a current model Falcon worth $67k? no.

It's a totally irrational response, but the only person that needs to care is you.

In response to your doctor vs enthusiast conversation. I bet there's a high chance the guy with the old box drove off laughing at how much the doctor didnt know about his 'social status symbol'.
Old 26-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #74
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Car 'love' is tough thing to describe to anyone that doesnt share your exact view. But then everyone doesnt get married to the same person either do they.

Do I think people should look at me differently because my current car was worth ~$50k in 1997? (equivalent of $67k today) Hell no.
Do I enjoy driving my car, and do I tend to look back at it nearly everytime I walk away from it? Definitely.
Do I feel the same passion for a current model Falcon worth $67k? no.

It's a totally irrational response, but the only person that needs to care is you.

In response to your doctor vs enthusiast conversation. I bet there's a high chance the guy with the old box drove off laughing at how much the doctor didnt know about his 'social status symbol'.
You drive a stock EL Ghia, almost 15 years old.
you must be a lower standard of person to the average FG owner.

fully aware of just how non-stock it is
Old 26-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #75
burnz
VFII SS UTE

a ten year old car with this logo un cool??
Old 26-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #76
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
You drive a stock EL Ghia, almost 15 years old.
you must be a lower standard of person to the average FG owner.

fully aware of just how non-stock it is
Exactly. Many other people will look at the car with those eyes, and that perception, some will appreciate it for what it is, and I will enjoy it either way.

Anyone that thinks they are above anyone else due to the price tag of the car they drive is a down right flog no matter the age of their car.

A lot of this doesnt directly carry over to the general public anyway, as car enthusiasts see things very differently.
Old 26-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #77
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

So do I and the same thing happens... Ahhh, the good ol days!

Can't wait for the current crop of C63's to become a little more affordable
Old 26-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #78
BFZF8

HULK, if someone says M5 this is what I think of.

Probably doesn't make me very cool but I'd love one of these things.

And I'll join MAD and TZENU in missing my old XF.
Old 26-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #79
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think ignorance plays a massive part when it comes to appreciating another person's car for what it is, not the price tag or badge.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #80
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love Old mercs, especially a 60's 600.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 26-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #81
RAPID_BA
Banned

I own a used ford and some may say I'm no better than an old merc driver. But I can confidently say that my car is one of the best cars available for sale in that price range. You can't say that about many of the old mercs or bmws (mainly due to extortionate imminant repair costs). People who buy these cars could have bought a new ford/holden/toyota with good warranty and good cars. But they are trying to buy a brand to be better than they are. Essentially trying on a shoe that doesn't really fit properly.

The doctor in my example was talking about a relevant modern machine, out of the grasps of many (untill its 10 yrs old). But the other guy tried to talk like he was on equal standing with the doctor and above other people who had a comparably valued but much newer ford/holden/toyota etc.

For the amount of money I want to spend ill always buy the best car available to meet my needs. But others buy to get maximum show off for their buck.

Ie buy a old merc instead of new ford or buy a clapped out xr6t instead of a mint xt
Old 26-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #82
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But they are trying to buy a brand to be better than they are.
Quote:
tried to talk like he was on equal standing with the doctor
Don't project your own insecurities on to other people.
Old 26-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #83
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Ie buy a old merc instead of new ford or buy a clapped out xr6t instead of a mint xt
plenty of very reasonable condition BA XR6T's with ~ 100K for 13K. Also plenty of clapped out 'mint' FG XT's with 150,000+KM for more. Great comparison. I'd much rather have the higher KM, base model!

This trolling is below par.
Old 26-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #84
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
I own a used ford and some may say I'm no better than an old merc driver. But I can confidently say that my car is one of the best cars available for sale in that price range. You can't say that about many of the old mercs or bmws (mainly due to extortionate imminant repair costs). People who buy these cars could have bought a new ford/holden/toyota with good warranty and good cars. But they are trying to buy a brand to be better than they are. Essentially trying on a shoe that doesn't really fit properly.
Since when has a passionate purchase been made on the grounds of reliability?
How do you know that every older bmw/merc owner is doing it for status?
Maybe they dont want to drive around in a boring house appliance of a car.

Quote:
The doctor in my example was talking about a relevant modern machine, out of the grasps of many (untill its 10 yrs old). But the other guy tried to talk like he was on equal standing with the doctor and above other people who had a comparably valued but much newer ford/holden/toyota etc.
So what was the conversation about exactly?
How does being a doctor change the level at which the conversation must occur?
If they were both merc enthusiasts, having a conversation about mercedes young and old, I dare say they would have been on the same level as each other, and everyone that wasnt a merc enthusiast wouldn't have had a clue what they were on about.
The only ones that would feel that they were conversing on a 'higher' level would be the insecure ones that felt left out.

Quote:
For the amount of money I want to spend ill always buy the best car available to meet my needs. But others buy to get maximum show off for their buck.
Yep, you're the only person that buys for those reasons
Wendy down the street who needs a new car and buys a 1998 toyota camry, is obviously doing it just to show off.

Last edited by MAD; 26-08-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 26-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #85
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
People who buy these cars could have bought a new ford/holden/toyota with good warranty and good cars.
So what you are saying is that you shouldn't buy a 3 year old GT because you can buy a new povo spec Falcon for less with that new car smell.

Quote:
But the other guy tried to talk like he was on equal standing with the doctor and above other people who had a comparably valued but much newer ford/holden/toyota etc.
Just chill a bit, and don't feel you have to compete with people you meet at parties. You'll enjoy life a whole lot more.

repeat after me.

"Calm blue ocean"
Old 26-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #86
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I own a used ford and some may say I'm no better than an old merc driver. But I can confidently say that my car is one of the best cars available for sale in that price range.
You are no better, one of the better cars in the price range? How do you work that out, there is plenty of used cars in the same price just because a BA XR8 suits you theres plenty of other cars in the price range that people may want and an XR8 isn't one so just because you think something is right doesn't mean it is. If it was my price range I promise you it wouldn't be in my sights, not because there is anything wrong with it it's just I don't want one.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 26-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #87
MAD
Petro-sexual

Let's have alittle recap here...

The thread title is "are old cars cool", then at the end of the OP he asks, "are these people better"

Old Falcons are awesome, but it's only old blokes reliving the early years.

There's an argument in there somewhere about warranty and cost of repairs.

Then there's a claim his car is the best out there.

Hulk's got it all wrong, he thinks a car makes the person. And sounds like he is trying to get himself some internet rep points to prove to his mates that drive older cars that he is better than them.
But it's totally opposite to the truth. It's the person that makes the car.
Not in the sense that a delightful person makes a bad car good, but in the sense that if the person driving it likes it, then it's a good car.

The big question, to you Hulk, is.... Do you think the doctor is better because he is driving a new Mercedes?
And, do you think the other guy is beneath the doctor for driving an old one?
Old 26-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #88
EFFalcon
Last warning

I think that was obvious given he laughed at the guy in the older one.
Old 26-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #89
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hulk - Looking at your ramblings in this thread it is clear you're suffering from an inferiority complex and maybe a tad of tall poppy syndrome . This, along with your thread on "looking after your pride and joy" in which you declare that you would (and in fact have) replaced ALL 4 wheels on your car if you happen to scratch one of them also suggests you suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Get some help !
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 26-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #90
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now tell me I am not cool if I rocked up in this............

A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Closed Thread