Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #61
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cops now using HSV E3 Clubsports - WTF???

Also guys please do not forget that servicing an HSV is going to be far more expensive than an SS due to:
• Much more expensive factory tyres
• Having to fill it up with 98 octane vs 91 (HSV will require than for warrantee)
• Much more expensive brake pads and rottors
• Probably more expansive (exclusive) service labour cost due to the HSV brand
• Ets …
My whole point was where does the expense end??? When does the government draw the line of stoping to spend more tax money or more expensive tools of trade? One can always argue that something X that is much more expensive is better but at some point there needs to be a reasonable limit.
Old 16-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #62
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

They (coppers) dont need to go faster than 110 unless they want to die cos after all, speeding kills.

Not a lick of difference to me between an SS and E3. Ive gotten used to our useless, logicless, visionless and money blackhole gov so it doesnt fuss me...Wouldent be surprised if govco is giving out free E3's to the prestinct who makes the most money...

/stupid post

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #63
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Well in WA it's all changing.. All the XR6T's are getting the flick, as are the Subi's, and a few other project hipo cars, once they hit 40k there gone and not being replaced.. Going forward all cars will be Holden/Ford 6 cylinder stockers, with steel rims, brake mods, and some suspension tweaks.

As for hot highway patrol cars being a deterrent, I don't think so.. There is one form of Police pursuit that no one gets away from: Police Motorbikes! And the idiots will still try to make a run for it. WA police had 140x bikes they now have 40x. Speed cameras, and hoon laws are the main reason why hipo cars are on the way out, people are now being made to consider harsh consequences for their own behavior..

BTW Not every police car driver can engage in a pursuit, they have to be rated and passed in driver training to be involved in any chase, pull out chase speed in WA is 140k from memory.

Look at the UK, they drive Fiesta's..

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 16-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #64
Turbo6FG
Starter Motor

The govt will probably kit out Prius's for the coppers next to fit in with the ETS crock.
Old 16-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #65
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

They also use EVOs and STis in the UK ... along with a smattering of Turbocharged Volvo estates and the like as well.
Old 16-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #66
burnz
VFII SS UTE

if i buy in bulk an SS/XR8 at what ever cost then aution how much loss is it??
if i buy in bulk an HSV/FPV at what ever cost then aution how much loss is it??

maybe a smarter move from the bean counter..
Old 16-03-2011, 03:40 AM   #67
fmc351
let it burn

They should only have push bikes and sling shots. And if I can make it to a border, no matter what crime Ive committed Im home free.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #68
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

My god there are some immature morons here. Really do some here think before they post? How about before going off on your little rants you actually look into the reasoning behind what it is you are having your little tanty over.

Seriously.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 16-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #69
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have now re-read the whole thread and I can see what the OP was getting at.

Yes we have a right to question where our money is being spent and by which department.

Looking back on the first post and subsequent posts made by the OP I think it is a good question to ask. I don't necessarily agree with all posts in this thread, but that is what an open forum is about, varying opinions.

RG...have you had too much coffee this morning or not enough??
Old 16-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #70
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Cops now using HSV E3 Clubsports - WTF???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
My god there are some immature morons here. Really do some here think before they post? How about before going off on your little rants you actually look into the reasoning behind what it is you are having your little tanty over.

Seriously.
Great post, too many personal attacks happening on this forum lately. I would not be surprised if it is driving members away?

As for police chases, you can buy them the fastest cars in the world, but a decent policeman riding on a new BMW R1150 will still be quicker............
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 16-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #71
LightningStrike

Give Police the tools they need to do the job right.
Tasers, shotties, F6's, more training - whatever.

For what the Police have to put up with, I am happy to see my taxes go on a slightly more expensive highway patrol car that might make some young punk in a beaten Excel think twice about running a red light in a school zone, rather than seeing the state government spend up on mobile speed cameras - and the sell the business to Macquarie Bank!

Or look at a government that sells State Lotteries - a business purely designed to make cash, and they sell it

I've dealt with Police both good and bad - personally, most of my experiences have been good. So yeah, it's fair to say I support those cops that are out there doing a decent job.

If you really want to get upset about government cash wastage, do some reaseach into some of the state government employees who have been displaced but are still on full pay but producing nothing ....believe me, there is a Clubsport a year plus in each of these oxygen theives.

My only beef is that the Clubbie should have been a GT-P

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
Old 16-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #72
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Great post, too many personal attacks happening on this forum lately. I would not be surprised if it is driving members away?

As for police chases, you can buy them the fastest cars in the world, but a decent policeman riding on a new BMW R1150 will still be quicker............
There's a reason I don't frequent here as often as I used to and it'd not to do with my choice in car.

Col - My caffeine levels are always on a razors edge, trying to keep them to an optimum level is a challenge I have to meet daily. So the struggle continues....
Old 16-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #73
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buying cars like that helps Police with morale and is also a recruiting tool!
Its also a "marketing" thing, being very visible and may actually help discourage people from doing the wrong on the road, simply because the driver thinks "Gees Mr plods cars are pretty fast"

Its not as if the whole fleet is made up GTs or Clubsports!
If they were, you could then have a whinge....

Government departments waste BILLIONS every year, but you rarely hear people talking about it or careing about it.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 16-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #74
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Before this bandwagon makes another uturn , I will ask " If they need a higher performance car to keep up with all the Hoons terrorising the streets, is there some higher performance driver training provided to the officers to ensure the safe completion of their shift?"
I highly doubt these are purchased by the fleet department to save money on resale.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
Old 16-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #75
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

On a serious note i do see where the OP is coming from, extra cost outlayed originally and then higher costing parts and service plus if they crash/damage it.... But there's the matter mentioned above about resale and appeal to potential new recruits.
Much of a 2 way street.

Im surprised this thread hasen't been locked up yet.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #76
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
Before this bandwagon makes another uturn , I will ask " If they need a higher performance car to keep up with all the Hoons terrorising the streets, is there some higher performance driver training provided to the officers to ensure the safe completion of their shift?"
I highly doubt these are purchased by the fleet department to save money on resale.
All Police must complete driver training as part of their training.
Old 16-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #77
MexicanBatman
Banned

Everyone has missed the point, the police have these because of the drl's

Making driving safer for everyone, due to the increased daytime visibility LOL

Who cares, I'm more concerned when I see an electric police car, what happens when my house is being burgled on a cloudy day, they have to wait till the sun is out before it'll go....
Old 16-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #78
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Hahaha. You're jealous. Taxpayer's money haha cry me a river.
that was my first impression. some guys just have better jobs than others.
would you want to do an 8 hour shift patrolling in a HSV or in a toyoda?
Old 16-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #79
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

It's silly to criticise why HWP drive HSVs or FPVs without knowing the reason they do so in the first place. In actual fact, the remarks about police having to look for real criminals is a tad old too. Policing focuses on the roads and also a lot of the behind the scenes stuff. Most people will only see police in a HWP car or RBT or if something bad happened in which case would be GDs coppers.

Don't pile all cops into the ones who write tickets all the time, there are plenty of others there who maintain the thin line between order and chaos that many do not see in their day to day lives. They are motorists and drive Fords too.
Old 16-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #80
1TUFFUTE
Banned

what a load of garbage....tell me one good reason why my local PD needs a 90K HSV for hwp when a xrt with brakes and tyres will do the same.By the time they sticker the thing up i garuntee 90% of people wont know what it is..it just looks fast anyway. TOTAL SCAM AND WASTE OF MONEY.

Some of the absolute garbage i hear from my wifes government job is plain abuse of the system domn right low on all accounts.It shows the overall mentality of some people. I personally wouldnt be suprized if the local copper had a budjet excess and was like year lets splash out for us guys....pah

tell me it isnt so
Old 16-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #81
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE

what a load of garbage....tell me one good reason why my local PD needs a 90K HSV for hwp when a xrt with brakes and tyres will do the same.By the time they sticker the thing up i garuntee 90% of people wont know what it is..it just looks fast anyway. TOTAL SCAM AND WASTE OF MONEY.

Some of the absolute garbage i hear from my wifes government job is plain abuse of the system domn right low on all accounts.It shows the overall mentality of some people. I personally wouldnt be suprized if the local copper had a budjet excess and was like year lets splash out for us guys....pah

tell me it isnt so
Who cares if it's a waste of taxpayer money? whether they buy a few HSV's and FPV's and support the Aus industry or bail out the company later on either way we're still handing money to car manufactures.

If you knew how much **** cops have to put up with, how many are dicked over by management then you'd know a little moral boost goes a very very long way and can make a big difference in the life of someone struggling.
Old 16-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #82
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Tax payer $$$$ at work, just a few more sales for HSV.....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 16-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #83
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Dimka get a life.....the car pays for itself in no time, and the average Highway car is worth around 150K by the time its kitted out regardless of brand make or model.
Rubbish, our Mercedes sprinter 319's cost about $120k fully kitted out and we have more systems than the average cop car. By that I mean we have LED emergency lights, radio, sat nav, satelite vehicle locator, LED interior lighting, Mobile Data Terminal, oxygen, suction, stretcher, stair chair, scoop, KED, Donway, spinal board etc etc, not to mention the cost of the interior modifications which are extensive. Considering a Mercedes Sprinter is near on $60k retail, say $50k government price, I highly doubt the cops could spend $90k on their fitout, we only spend $70k.

I do not believe for a moment that once all factors are considered such as buy price, servicing (servicing a clubbie is much more expensive than a SS) and resale are taken into account, that the clubbie is more cost effective than the SS or XR6T.

Personally I do not see a need for them to have FPV and HSV, a XR6T is plenty fast enough. It marginally annoys me that they get HSV, FPV etc and we have to put up with a gutless non turbo forrester that once loaded could not pull the skin off a custard. Due to the weights our forresters carry we need either the turbo petrol or turbo diesel models but we can not get them because apparently the asthmatic NA 4cyl is fast enough.

As for the idea of the brakes being better on the HSV, I do the same sort of driving (within safe margins for lights and sirens in all traffic conditions) in a Forrester with smaller brakes than a commodore SS or XR6T. In my opinion if the cops are reaching the limit of the brakes in those vehicles they should call off the chase and peg it back in the interest of safety. I have driven police spec commodores, if you bake the brakes you are a cowboy.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #84
b2tf
not here much anymore

NSW police are using FG XR6Ts with Brembos (hence the BA Typhoon rims appearing on them - they need the clearance for the brakes).

I personally dont have a problem with this because its about line ball with an SS in terms of price but they have a lot more go for times when it is needed. I dont really agree with a Clubsport as a HWP car but who is to say it's not a promotional car like when Vic Police had that yellow GTO or the 300C?

I also wonder if the reaction would be the same if they were using a 335 GT - or would it be something along the lines of 'bout time they got some taste etc etc........'

Maybe not time to jump to conclusions.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #85
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Rubbish, our Mercedes sprinter 319's cost about $120k fully kitted out and we have more systems than the average cop car. By that I mean we have LED emergency lights, radio, sat nav, satelite vehicle locator, LED interior lighting, Mobile Data Terminal, oxygen, suction, stretcher, stair chair, scoop, KED, Donway, spinal board etc etc, not to mention the cost of the interior modifications which are extensive. Considering a Mercedes Sprinter is near on $60k retail, say $50k government price, I highly doubt the cops could spend $90k on their fitout, we only spend $70k.
Wow thats cheap, we have 316's which cost AV about $250K in the end.

BTW, those LED lights you have on this here ambulance, cost $300, each.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #86
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72

I know in QLD the police do a specific driving course as part of their recruit training and then they have to do a different course for HWP which is more advanced again.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #87
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Rubbish, our Mercedes sprinter 319's cost about $120k fully kitted out
Interesting to know - RAAF base here has a minimum of 2 of these sitting in their bay all the time and they don't move. Havent for months.

RE Police Driver Training, have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNSWPo...26/Dcpti-nI0l0

Excuse the Village People driving.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #88
BLKWDW

I disagree with the op. Regardless of the pursuit laws having an FPV/HSV model as a highway patrol car is probably more of a detorent then actually needing it to catch someone. You more likely to try and out run an ss/xr8 then you are the hsv/fpv variants. Guess in a way there trying to stop the pusruit before it happens by owning a car that most people think they'd be unable to outrun.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xsessi...3215500?ref=mf
Cheers Daz.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #89
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Wow thats cheap, we have 316's which cost AV about $250K in the end.

BTW, those LED lights you have on this here ambulance, cost $300, each.
I am sorry but a can not see how considering our last run of Ford F350 ambulances that had a much more expensive fit out (complete pod instead of a interior module) cost the service $160k.

I was at workshops the other day and checked out the mock up of the new Mercedes Sprinter 519 dual stretcher unit and was told they are expecting a final cost to be about $200k, these have to have a complete pod constructed as they are fitted to a cab chassis.

By the way, which LED's are you referring too, the light bar complete or the individual light units such as mounted on the bonnet and vehicle sides?

Any way, back on topic I highly doubt a cop car would hit $150k when based on a XR6T.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #90
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Interesting to know - RAAF base here has a minimum of 2 of these sitting in their bay all the time and they don't move. Havent for months.

RE Police Driver Training, have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNSWPo...26/Dcpti-nI0l0

Excuse the Village People driving.
Yep, so do the army here at Enoggera, two complete units (same spec as NSW ambulance, based on Sprinter 316). Expensive toys to have considering if they have to transport a patient in an emergency they call us anyway (I have done a number of emergency transfers from the army hospital to RBH).