Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Would lifting helmet laws change your personal pushbike riding?
I ride now and would always wear a helmet 35 50.00%
I ride now but might wear a helmet sometimes 10 14.29%
I ride now and would never wear a helmet 8 11.43%
I would start riding and would always wear a helmet 1 1.43%
I would start riding and might wear a helmet sometimes 5 7.14%
I would start riding and would never wear a helmet 4 5.71%
I would not ride a pushbike 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #61
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
It needs to be pointed out the modern bike helmet has evolved, we are not talking about the Stackhat that was around when the compulsory laws were introduced
Those Rosebank Stackhats were awful. my parents wouldn't allow us to ride to school without a helmet even before the compulsory law came in, but they anticipated the abuse we'd cop for turning up with non-compusory stackhats and bought us decent helmets from a decent bike shop instead.

I don't ride that much these days (bought a decent road bike so must change that and get out more) but will always wear a helmet and have no real issue with it. if the law was changed and I had some nice open bike tracks close to home would I consider going for a leisurely ride without a helmet? maybe... but it wouldn't affect my decision to ride or not
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Yeah, the original rosebank stackhats are not even legal now as far as know because they do not meet AS. Their major problem (apart from being the daggiest helmet known to man) is that the hard plastic shell has sharp edges that have caused major lacerations especially around the ears and the neck area.
Old 24-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #63
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Oh man I must be a horrible horrible person, cause I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw that pic....

But yes, lack of bike infastructure here compared to Europe is an excellent point, and relates to my comment earlier about not wearing a helmet on a dedicated bike track. In Amsterdam and Copenhagen for example, your pretty much on a dedicated part of the road all the time so of course helmets arn't essential there like they are here.
silly question here.. does it look like the bike riders are on the wrong side of the road facing oncoming traffic?
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #64
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ride and wear a helmet wouldnt worry about wearing one too much if I didnt have too.
Dont ride on busy roads much if it was optional to wear a helmet I probably would wear one on the roads.
I can see one day we will have to wear helmets in cars and all the people that are under 5 years old now will be arguing and saying how important it is to wear a helmet in a carin polls like this in the future.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #65
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycles4eva
silly question here.. does it look like the bike riders are on the wrong side of the road facing oncoming traffic?
I would suggest that because it is about 20 cyclists and one car having a head on collision, perhaps the car is on the wrong side.

Also considering it is in the US, last time I heard they drove on the right in the US, which puts the car on the wrong side of the road.
Old 24-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #66
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
I can see one day we will have to wear helmets in cars and all the people that are under 5 years old now will be arguing and saying how important it is to wear a helmet in a carin polls like this in the future.
I don't really think that will ever be on the cards, instead you will see improvements in safety features of cars without laws requiring full face helmets, race suits and fire retardant undies.
Old 24-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #67
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't really think that will ever be on the cards, instead you will see improvements in safety features of cars without laws requiring full face helmets, race suits and fire retardant undies.

I remember when bike helmets came in back in the 80s we were all saying beforehand how ridiculous it is and it wont happen.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #68
WMD351
Size it up

I was told at school by somebody who came in to give a talk about helmets and safety that the old stackhats actually caused a lot of neck injuries owing to the design going so far down the back of the head. If your head was snapped backwards they would really dig in to your neck and they ended up damaging a few spinal cords.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #69
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
I can see one day we will have to wear helmets in cars
Only about 50% of the people I tell this believe me but when I was little I actually saw a family of 4 wearing stackhats in a car. It's something I will never forget.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #70
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
No worries, it was all in jest as I know you can appreciate! BTW, how far are you into your build in your avatar?

Bud Bud

yeah i know just some fun lol. the build is the same as all my other projects all on hold been over sea's for 6 weeks in the USA. Spent all my $$ on that and quit my job when i got back but applying for a way better paying job soon so fingers crossed i get it

back on topic people must think helmets are still like those big 80's things lol there much better now. Like others have said they don't affect vision or hearing at all.

jaK

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #71
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Oh man I must be a horrible horrible person, cause I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw that pic....

But yes, lack of bike infastructure here compared to Europe is an excellent point, and relates to my comment earlier about not wearing a helmet on a dedicated bike track. In Amsterdam and Copenhagen for example, your pretty much on a dedicated part of the road all the time so of course helmets arn't essential there like they are here.
hmmm Amsterdam very different place to our little piece of rock, legal marijuana .........i wonder how that fits into their road rules and helmet wearing ^^? and only 1.8 million people approximately.
more of a tourist place like venice from what i can see from my vast travels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNhLP...eature=related
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #72
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For example, skydiving is potentially dangerous but do you think the parachutist just stuffs the chute in any old way, chooses not to carry a reserve and refuses to have an altimeter? Of course not, he assesses each risk and then makes all preparations and checks to ensure the risks are reduced as much as possible. That way he gets to enjoy the activity safely and then do it again and again and again. Should the skydiver be allowed to delete these safety items and checks in the interest of "freedom of choice"? I am tipping you would say no because that would be insane, but how is riding a bike any different? there is actually a much greater chance of falling off a bike at sufficient speed to cause head injury than there is of a parachute failing to open, yet you suggest people should be able to choose not to wear a helmet, I guess parachutists should have the choice to jump without a reserve.

Fatalities per million hours
0.027 fatalities per million hours of living at home
0.15 fatalities per million hours of flying
0.26 fatalities per million hours of cycling
0.47 fatalities per million hours of passenger car use
1.07 fatalities per million hours of swimming
1.53 fatalities per million hours of living (all causes of death)
8.8 fatalities per million hours of on-road motorcycling
128.71 fatalities per million hours of sky diving
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #73
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Relative risk per participant
Airsports 450
Climbing 137
Motor sports 81
Fishing 41
Horse riding 29
Swimming 7.0
Athletics 5.7
Football 4.9
Tennis 4.2
Cycling 1.0
Safer Golf 0.83
Rambling 0.06

UK Deaths per year
Cycling, road traffic accidents 138
Cycling, other 29
All transport 3,032
At home 3,974
Other accidents 5,026
Obesity (England only) 30,000
Heart disease due to inactivity 58,090
All heart disease 157,000

Risk of death during lifetime
Heart disease 1 in 5
Motor vehicle accident 1 in 84
Pedestrian accident 1 in 626
Motorcycle accident 1 in 1,020
Bicycle accident 1 in 4,919

Risk of injury per million km
Age group Motorists (driver) / Cyclists
12 - 14: - / 16.8
15 - 17: - / 18.2
18 - 24: 33.5 / 7.7
25 - 29: 17.0 / 8.2
30 - 39: 9.7 / 7.0
40 - 49: 9.7 / 9.2
50 - 59: 5.9 / 17.2
60 - 64: 10.4 / 32.1
> 64: 39.9 / 79.1
Total: 20.8 / 21.0
Old 29-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #74
KYSBF

I wear a helmet whenever I jump on my pushie. Partly because I value my life as I know it and do not want to live it as a vegetable, additionally I have two boys and wish to set a good axample for them too. I cannot imagine if either one of them got knocked off and got an injury or worse that could have been prevented. It is common sense........there are a few whinging about becoming a nanny-state etc. Possibly because there is a diminished ability amongst society to practice common sense.
As it has been pointed out, the financial and social cost to keep someone who has been paralysed or whatever is immense.

Maybe this something to do with becoming a nanny state.........we fail to excercise common sense with most decisions we make for ourselves, impacting on most other areas of society. Over burdening health care and systems, draining finances and resources trying to fix someones decision to feel the breeze in their hair.

my 2 bobs.
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like pedestrians should be the ones wearing helmets not push bike riders!!!

Old 29-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #76
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Sounds like pedestrians should be the ones wearing helmets not push bike riders!!!
The rate of heat injuries per kilometer traveled is higher for pedestrians than it is for cyclists.
Old 29-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #77
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Relative risk per participant
Airsports 450
Climbing 137
Motor sports 81
Fishing 41
Horse riding 29
Swimming 7.0
Athletics 5.7
Football 4.9
Tennis 4.2
Cycling 1.0
Safer Golf 0.83
Rambling 0.06

UK Deaths per year
Cycling, road traffic accidents 138
Cycling, other 29
All transport 3,032
At home 3,974
Other accidents 5,026
Obesity (England only) 30,000
Heart disease due to inactivity 58,090
All heart disease 157,000

Risk of death during lifetime
Heart disease 1 in 5
Motor vehicle accident 1 in 84
Pedestrian accident 1 in 626
Motorcycle accident 1 in 1,020
Bicycle accident 1 in 4,919

Risk of injury per million km
Age group Motorists (driver) / Cyclists
12 - 14: - / 16.8
15 - 17: - / 18.2
18 - 24: 33.5 / 7.7
25 - 29: 17.0 / 8.2
30 - 39: 9.7 / 7.0
40 - 49: 9.7 / 9.2
50 - 59: 5.9 / 17.2
60 - 64: 10.4 / 32.1
> 64: 39.9 / 79.1
Total: 20.8 / 21.0
oops.......

So would a slight increase in pushie deaths be worth a much larger drop in other deaths?

After all, the poll CLEARLY shows that the majority of current pushie riders would continue to wear helmets so changeing the law will have little effect on them and if even just a few people who were not riding suddenly started that must be a good thing.
Hey a few of the new riders might just wear a helmet out of choice, THEIR PERSONAL CHOICE, no one else's.

I am sure someone is going to come out with some hitleresque "ve haff vays oft makink you vere your helmut ven you ride" just to save at least one life.

But we could completely stop cycling deaths altogether by banning pushies outright and that would save a lot of lives......wouldn't it?

P.S. Love the car/bike deaths per million kms which clearly shows gen Y should not be allowed to drive at all
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #78
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Wind in the hair and a sense of freedom are essential parts of riding a bike for me.......so am happy to accept the increased risk as my own personal decision and enjoy the experience without a helmet.
Old 29-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #79
KYSBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Wind in the hair and a sense of freedom are essential parts of riding a bike for me.......so am happy to accept the increased risk as my own personal decision and enjoy the experience without a helmet.
And that's a good thing, so long as you are fully insured and your wish to have the breeze in your hair does not become someone elses burden if you come a cropper. (which I hope you don't).
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #80
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYSBF
And that's a good thing, so long as you are fully insured and your wish to have the breeze in your hair does not become someone elses burden if you come a cropper. (which I hope you don't).
Yes and no. I wont go into a long argument about public / private funding and the distribution of tax and charges in a democrotic society except to say if I'm injured medicare will pay its share, and that even as a vegtable on a permenant pension I will still continue to pay tax..........and contribute to the great tax pool that people refer to as "their money"

Perhaps the classic statement "death and taxes" was actually coined to refer to riding a bike.........without a helmet! :-)