Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #61
Saraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Could you be any more wrong? Putting this in the same boat as an R32 GTR alone is just ridiculous. How much do you think a limited release $750k V10 supercar depreciates in 5-10 years? :

This car looks absolutely superb and has some amazing specs to match. I've been worried for a while that the Japanese have lost the ability to make good looking fast cars but this has definitely changed my mind.
Yeah right! Just like HONDA NSX's, supposedly hand built, titanium conrods in the engine, scads of F1 championship trophys and still a worthless 10 year old JAP car! No matter how good they are, they will NEVER have the aura , mystique and prestige of a european super car.P.S.Maybe I should buy an NSX, so I can get the conrods out of it ! Probably be worth more in scrap metal value than the rest of the car!
Old 23-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #62
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
Yeah right! Just like HONDA NSX's, supposedly hand built, titanium conrods in the engine, scads of F1 championship trophys and still a worthless 10 year old JAP car! No matter how good they are, they will NEVER have the aura , mystique and prestige of a european super car.P.S.Maybe I should buy an NSX, so I can get the conrods out of it ! Probably be worth more in scrap metal value than the rest of the car!
Or you could drive one-handed in a Ferrari 348 and kid yourself that it really is THAT good.

The NSX was a very friendly car (I got into a 3.2 litre at a drive day at Sandown). It was the equivalent to an Audi R8 in it's day. But Honda didn't develop it enough or price it right. I'd still love a type R or Zanadi NSX anytime.

And this Lexus is miles ahead of where the NSX was aimed at.

I can't see the world being awash with carbon fibre imports in 10 years time.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 23-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #63
WASP
Whipple Induced

Being a previous owner a RZ TT Supra, it's great to see this car. Price aside, it sounds fantastic and my first impressions leave me feeling it is much more appealing than the GTR. Knowing Toyota, it will probably make a great road car as well as a track monster. That's were there GTR really falls on it's **** according to the motoring media.
Old 23-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #64
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
Probably be worth more in scrap metal value than the rest of the car!
cheapest one i found was 45k for a 19 year old with 170k.. not bad, dont forget it was the best handling car in the world for nearly ten years... the only mystique you get from euros is why theyre worth so much when all they do is break down, how many ferraris have 170k on the clock..
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 24-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #65
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetchh
cheapest one i found was 45k for a 19 year old with 170k.. not bad, dont forget it was the best handling car in the world for nearly ten years... the only mystique you get from euros is why theyre worth so much when all they do is break down, how many ferraris have 170k on the clock..

If you were at a set of lights and a honda NSX was on one side and a 90's to current Ferrari on the other side, where would almost everyone be looking? If you were at a set of lights with a LFA on one side and a vermillion fire XY GT on the other side camming away, where would everyone be looking? I doubt even in Japan they would be looking at the LFA over the GT. Even the names Japs choose are un-inspiring.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #66
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

LFA sold out.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0603-x17n.html
Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #67
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraco
Unfortunately like all JAP cars no matter how good they are, their class and cred will go down sharply, when the car is 5-10 years old and bought into Australia as a grey import ,then bought by a guy who wears his baseball cap backwards, while listening to DOOF DOOF music.R32 GTR skylines cost around $90k back in the early nineties, aust. delivered ones are still colectable, but they have been diluted by the flood of imports.

haha, you could not be more wrong.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #68
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraco

Wrong again!.

The NSX is still a desireable import, and still carry a high pricetag. And, to be honest, isn't a supercar anyway. Its a Sports car...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #69
JimNiki
71Mach1

Toyota does nothing for me cause they've got nothing I want.

Show me something locally made with a V8 and RWD and I'll listen.

Not competing in that market? Oh, Ok, no probs, call me when you are ...(yawn)
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #70
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.topgear.com/au/videos/lexus-lfa heres the test on top gear went ok on track but very expensive

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #71
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Toyota does nothing for me cause they've got nothing I want.

Show me something locally made with a V8 and RWD and I'll listen.

Not competing in that market? Oh, Ok, no probs, call me when you are ...(yawn)
Again, where was that mustang made?

Go and look at an ISF and then tell us that Toyota don't make bloody good RWD V8s.....
Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #72
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi66uy
http://jalopnik.com/5386057/lexus-lf...tely-uncovered
It sounds pretty awesome, but the $400K price tag is absolutely crazy _
Had this car on Top Gear last week. What a car!!
but the price! Its priced at £340k! Forget about it costing anywhere near that if sold in Australia.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #73
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i remember 1991 when the honda NSX was the supercar to have taken on porsche and ferrari. still havnt made it same for this lexus , just another screen saver
heres the new 2101 Nsx
http://www.zcars.com.au/images/2010-honda-nsx1.jpg
http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com...etch-img_2.jpg
Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #74
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read it costs $750,000 in australia. Theres 5 sold here, and they are sold out.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #75
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Sorry guys, seems that it has 500 people intending to buy it...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/04/d...ocated-to-u-s/

Quote:
Don't fret: Lexus LFA not sold out, more allocated to U.S.

by Damon Lavrinc (RSS feed) on Jun 4th 2010 at 7:58PM

The recent rash of reports about the Lexus LFA being sold out appears to have been a bit premature.

Production of the LFA begins this December and Toyota intends to produce a total of 500 units which will be sold through an unorthodox leasing procedure. The process involves putting money down, signing a non-transferable lease for 24 months and then having the option to purchase the 552-horsepower supercoupe once the two-year term comes to a close. As reported previously, the leasing system is an attempt to thwart speculators who would undoubtedly purchase an LFA and then flip it for a profit on the exotic market.

As for selling out, Lexus officials have said that the number of interested parties has exceeded the total 500-unit run, but as always, interest is different than intent, and a few more slots for U.S. buyers still remain. Additionally, the original cap of 150 LFA's slated for Stateside consumption has increased by 21 units for a total of 171, although it's unclear where those additional LFAs are coming from.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #76
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Good move buy lexus, keep it a limited model. Very sexxy car.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #77
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Lexus LFA ad

yes its pricey but so is any super-car, if manufactures didnt make advancements we wouldnt be driving what we are today with the incredible technology we see in our everyday cars like the F6... so just remember that before you bag a manufacturer regarding building something exotic.

Its desirable, id buy a lambo over it if it was me putting my hard earned down.. but im not, and anything short of a miracle i never will be

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #78
Pis-ton broke
Banned

another rice burner, great. I watched the lexus thing on top gear. Nice car. I think it seemed to be like an add, sponsored by you know who.
If i had that coin for a car i wouldn,t buy one. The Japs try hard, but it seems you can,t buy prestige.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #79
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
another rice burner, great. I watched the lexus thing on top gear. Nice car. I think it seemed to be like an add, sponsored by you know who.
If i had that coin for a car i wouldn,t buy one. The Japs try hard, but it seems you can,t buy prestige.

How was it an ad they bagged it out that it cost to much and your an idiot for buying one when there are better bang for buck (cant believe I said that) supercars out there.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #80
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there`s a few good clips of it haveing a run around the ring,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3oJY...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7i0j...eature=related
here`s a couple.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #81
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Sounds and looks sexy as! Price is abit blergh, but then again it is a prestige car.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #82
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
WTF?
Rice burner? How does the LF-A become a rice burner?
TG isn't sponsored by any body, the BBC charges viewers to subscribe to the channel, no ads. Only here in OZ does it have ads, so your comments is baseless.

Even if you did have the coin, you cannot buy one, they're all allocated.
Can't buy prestige? WTF do you think Lexus is?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #83
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Hi vztrt "How was it an ad they bagged it out that it cost to much" Yes , thats right, that was about for 1 minute at the end. But i,m talking about the drive, not one bad word was said and all those special effects? an what for?. all very flashy, and that stuff costs money to do. Is that usually in the genaral format of the show? It just seemed like a very fancy presention to me. IMO.
hi Wretched , WTF are you on about prestige. are you a bit thick? Read the dictonary sonny.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #84
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
WTF?
Rice burner? How does the LF-A become a rice burner?
TG isn't sponsored by any body, the BBC charges viewers to subscribe to the channel, no ads. Only here in OZ does it have ads, so your comments is baseless.

Even if you did have the coin, you cannot buy one, they're all allocated.
Can't buy prestige? WTF do you think Lexus is?
^^ what he said.

Id like to know how its not Prestige....

Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #85
Pis-ton broke
Banned

cars from Aston Martin ,Alfa Romeo to Renault,Rolls Royce were racing on dirt tracks decades and decades ago, before Toyota was on the road. So, Prestige also comes with time. So lexus popps its head up, and it doesn,t have the predigee, as predigee and prestige go hand in hand. If an appentice finshes his apperentaship, well that doesn,t make him a master tradesman, (a different analergy)
Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #86
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Hi vztrt "How was it an ad they bagged it out that it cost to much" Yes , thats right, that was about for 1 minute at the end. But i,m talking about the drive, not one bad word was said and all those special effects? an what for?. all very flashy, and that stuff costs money to do. Is that usually in the genaral format of the show? It just seemed like a very fancy presention to me. IMO.
hi Wretched , WTF are you on about prestige. are you a bit thick? Read the dictonary sonny.
from dictionary.com
having or showing success, rank, wealth, etc.
Lexus can be described as all these. They have had immense success from day dot. They are ranked in number 1 for quality prestigious cars and have a very large budget.
I'm not the thick one. The dictionary even agrees with me.
Egg on your face much??

I'd say you need to learn to spell better and learn to use grammar before trying to lecture others on the meaning of words.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #87
Pis-ton broke
Banned

your reading the wrong dictionary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestige_(sociology) you forgot the reference to reputation.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #88
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
your reading the wrong dictionary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestige_(sociology) you forgot the reference to reputation.
They do have a reputation, since their inception in 1990, they have built high quality luxury cars.
Another reference for you is from the Oxford Dictionary.
respect and admiration attracted through a perception of high achievements or quality. Again Lexus fills this requirement quite easily.
Give up now, you're doing yourself no favours. Your arguments are childish and baseless. I'd suggest you research on the history of Lexus before commenting further.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #89
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Haha wikipedia is now a dictionary, remember this site is updated by anybody. Lexus has plenty of prestige, it did not originate in Japan even though its a subsidary of Toyota, it was a Luxury brand launched in the states and have plenty of years of building luxury cars.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #90
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

L E X U S

Luxury Export to the US - is what started the name.

They are Prestige arm of Toyota, except unlike FPV/HSV *arms* they are 'mostly' different cars from their lesser siblings, at least from 05 onwards most of them bar the LX570's don't even share a chassis/gearbox or engine with Toyota.

Closed Thread