Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #61
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

My old ones were a tad bright, only ever used to turn them on for night time photos, never drove with them on because they tended to light up the tops of trees more than the high beams did!!!

Ever since I've had the T3 bar on, the lights in that have NEVER been turned on due to the fact they're not connected to the wiring. Although somebody in this thread saying that you can be defected for not having them connected is making me think of getting off my bum and connecting them.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 21-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #62
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Ever since I've had the T3 bar on, the lights in that have NEVER been turned on due to the fact they're not connected to the wiring. Although somebody in this thread saying that you can be defected for not having them connected is making me think of getting off my bum and connecting them.
Indeed you can be. If a light is attached to a car, it needs to be wired and in working order.
Old 21-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #63
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
It's getting rediculas. I had an officer tell me tonight in a driver breath testing station that he could defect me for my whitewalls... Im like wtf? How?
If, in the process of whitewalling the tyre, the specs of the tyre have been shaved off then the tyre no longer conforms to the ADR's and is deemed an illegal modification.

If it's a factory whitewalled tyre and the specs of the tyre are visible on both sides of the tyre, no problem.
Old 21-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #64
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Indeed you can be. If a light is attached to a car, it needs to be wired and in working order.
Yep, any feature like that must be in working order if its attached to the car.

Old 21-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #65
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR

Using non "All Weather" globes will have a similar but not the same effect as they are simply mounted low to the ground and sort of pass under the fog which...(if my urban myth memory serves me)...actually does not sit on the ground and allows the light, to light up the road and not reflect off the water droplets and glare back.

And people please...turn them off when you are facing oncoming traffic or following another car...they are bright, distracting and attract a fine from Plod and generally inconsiderate.

Read your first paragraph and then your second. If the light spread is so low that it goes under fog (yes it is true there is often a clear layer under fog) and only projects 3-5 m, how can it dazzle other drivers when the low beam is set higher and projects further forward? Logic says that in this case it is the low beam that is causing the issue.

Personally I think the issue is there are too many people that have a bee in their bonnet over something new and chucking too much of a stink about it. If I sit there and stare at an oncoming cars low beam, it will upset my vision too, should low beam be banned too? I think it is time some people stop worrying about what lights others are using and start doing what they are supposed to be doing, concentrate on driving.

Before you mention "but some have illegal globes or incorrectly adjusted" as a reason to ban fog lights, so are many low beams, should they be bannned too?

I am over this topic, it is so full of BS and predjudice that it will never get anywhere. I am so glad the government has another pathetic law to appease the minority (yes minority because most people do not give a crap if you have foggies on or not), and another way to raise revenue. I would bet very strongly that this introduction of law does not have the support of the QPS, QFRS or QAS, the agencies that have to deal with the mess of road trauma.

If I had my way, it would be written into commonwealth legislation that all cars must permanently have low beam on whilst the engine is running. Hard wired to the ignition as motorcycles are. That way I will have to go to less prangs because of the reason "I did not see him". The way I see it, any extra lighting that does not dazzle other motorists is a good thing, helps to be seen and therefore reduce collisions. But then, what would I know, I just hear the pathetic excuses at accidents every day.
Old 21-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #66
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
I'm guessing they could use the 'vehicle is not of the standard other' ploy?
Modification to a standard tyre and "distracting" ... Its a joke
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 21-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #67
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Read your first paragraph and then your second. If the light spread is so low that it goes under fog (yes it is true there is often a clear layer under fog) and only projects 3-5 m, how can it dazzle other drivers when the low beam is set higher and projects further forward? Logic says that in this case it is the low beam that is causing the issue.

Personally I think the issue is there are too many people that have a bee in their bonnet over something new and chucking too much of a stink about it. If I sit there and stare at an oncoming cars low beam, it will upset my vision too, should low beam be banned too? I think it is time some people stop worrying about what lights others are using and start doing what they are supposed to be doing, concentrate on driving.

Before you mention "but some have illegal globes or incorrectly adjusted" as a reason to ban fog lights, so are many low beams, should they be bannned too?

I am over this topic, it is so full of BS and predjudice that it will never get anywhere. I am so glad the government has another pathetic law to appease the minority (yes minority because most people do not give a crap if you have foggies on or not), and another way to raise revenue. I would bet very strongly that this introduction of law does not have the support of the QPS, QFRS or QAS, the agencies that have to deal with the mess of road trauma.

If I had my way, it would be written into commonwealth legislation that all cars must permanently have low beam on whilst the engine is running. Hard wired to the ignition as motorcycles are. That way I will have to go to less prangs because of the reason "I did not see him". The way I see it, any extra lighting that does not dazzle other motorists is a good thing, helps to be seen and therefore reduce collisions. But then, what would I know, I just hear the pathetic excuses at accidents every day.
Sorry Geck, maybe a misunderstanding...I mean spread beam as in "gutter to gutter", and I suppose some people whack 100 watter's in them and they just dazzle anyway. I'm all for high-vis (as you know) but I guess having more lights on when is not necessary is more to my point here.

I see no need to ban them, I just wonder why people don't use them the way they were intended as opposed to the way they are being used regardless as to how they are hooked up on the car.To me, "driving lights" (spread beam) were always traditionally to allow one to see to the left and right of the vehicle off to the sides of the road to give a little more warning of impending impacts to furry speed humps in non-built up area's and on looong trips out the boonies when you have your high beams on. I guess it is a matter of interpretation as I said.

And I think the "All weather" style globes are great...I've got a set in the daily pocket rocket and they eliminate the need for me to have dedicated foggies...for when it get's foggy where I live...I used to talk people into them when I was with Autopro.

And sorry to dig up the old bone...I'll shut up now..:

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 21-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #68
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
If, in the process of whitewalling the tyre, the specs of the tyre have been shaved off then the tyre no longer conforms to the ADR's and is deemed an illegal modification.

If it's a factory whitewalled tyre and the specs of the tyre are visible on both sides of the tyre, no problem.

So, if my tyre specs are still on the tyre they can't defect me?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 21-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #69
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
So, if my tyre specs are still on the tyre they can't defect me?
Reading the ADR on tyres, I'd suggest not. I believe that's the concern about whitewalling tyres was that it removed the specs from the tyre. They need to be clearly visible on both sides to comply with the law.
Old 21-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #70
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Reading the ADR on tyres, I'd suggest not. I believe that's the concern about whitewalling tyres was that it removed the specs from the tyre. They need to be clearly visible on both sides to comply with the law.

Sounds like really dangerous ground. Remember the police officer does not have to prove there is a defect to give you a notice. He just has to have reasonable suspicion there is a fault and the vehicle requires further investigation.

So lets say you have ground the sidewall to paint them white, all he has to do is believe this may affect the structural integrity of the tyre and load rating. He will then issue a defect notice and it is up to you to prove otherwise. Tyres fall into that large category of car components that are considered safety items. All transport departments of all states are very hard on modifications of vehicle safety equipment. It would be like sanding and roughing up your seat belts to paint them a different colour, I am sure they would frown on that too. The moment you modify the sidewall, the tyre no longer is guaranteed to comply with the international standards it was manufactured too.
Old 21-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #71
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
So lets say you have ground the sidewall to paint them white, all he has to do is believe this may affect the structural integrity of the tyre and load rating. He will then issue a defect notice and it is up to you to prove otherwise. Tyres fall into that large category of car components that are considered safety items. All transport departments of all states are very hard on modifications of vehicle safety equipment. It would be like sanding and roughing up your seat belts to paint them a different colour, I am sure they would frown on that too. The moment you modify the sidewall, the tyre no longer is guaranteed to comply with the international standards it was manufactured too.
You do have a point and it does open a can of worms, how deep does it need to be before it affects the structural integrity of the sidewall - I'd suggest in 99.9% of applications it would be negligable but then I'm no tyre expert.

I believe the primary reason behind the defecting of the tyre was that it interfered with the print on the tyre (size, max load, suggested pressure) but there is some merit in it possibly weakening the tyre.
Old 21-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #72
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

You guys take a wrong turn somewhere??
Old 21-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #73
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems like the fog light issue has been done and has moved on. Now onto the whitewall tyre issues. Isn't there already another thread for that?

What was this thread about again? Oh yes! Qld fog light laws. And where are we at with that now? Have we, as a minority group, manage to sway the pollies to change their way of thinking yet? : :

Last edited by J.C.; 21-09-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 21-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #74
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
What was this thread about again? Oh yes! Qld fog light laws. And where are we at with that now? Have we, as a minority group, manage to swap the pollies to change their way of thinking yet? : :

Nor will anything change their mind now, no amount of reason or logic. As far as they are concerned it is money in the bank.

I just wonder how long it wil take or the aurion and xr6 cop cars to turn theirs off.
Old 21-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #75
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I questioned that too gecko, will be interesting
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 21-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #76
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd reckon anything that helps other motorists see your car is a positive. In Vic, Telstra cars have headlights turned on non-stop, i think for this reason. I have a dark grey car, I use my fog lights on a bleak day I'l admit. Maybe if this law comes into Victoria and nets a heap of coin for the government, they can put it towards some much needed lighting along some of the perilous, dark, foggy stretches around this state. That way we don't all have to go around looking like Christmas trees in an effort to see and be seen.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
Old 21-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #77
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I take it even further, I generally only buy bright and easily seen colours (citric acid and bright yellow, need I say more?) I also drive with the head lights on permanently (turned them on when we bought it, not turned off in 60,000km) when in the mini, in the ute they are on if there is any cloud cover. I just wish the ute was like the Mini and I could leave them turned on.

Astounds me when you see people driving in grey cars, late in the afternoon and raining with no lights on, complete stupidity! I bet at that time they are whining because someone is driving with foggies on. These are the morons the laws should be focussing on, they are the ones causing more accidents.
Old 21-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #78
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
I'd reckon anything that helps other motorists see your car is a positive. In Vic, Telstra cars have headlights turned on non-stop, i think for this reason. I have a dark grey car, I use my fog lights on a bleak day I'l admit. Maybe if this law comes into Victoria and nets a heap of coin for the government, they can put it towards some much needed lighting along some of the perilous, dark, foggy stretches around this state. That way we don't all have to go around looking like Christmas trees in an effort to see and be seen.
Except if the sun is behind you in which case it makes your car much harder to see. If you need to turn the lights on use low beam, it is deigned to be used at oncoming traffic.

All the made up spin doctoring in the world does not change the fact that the ONLY reason that the "look at me" brigade want to use fog lights is because they think it makes them look uber hektic. If this were not the case then there would not be so much emotion.

Bottom lines:

1) It is a QLD law, all other states are irrelevant.
2) Sooking about it will have no effect.
3) Being a superhero and using foglights anyway will just cost you money over and over again like the heros who refuse to wear pushbike helmets.

The only way to fix this is via the ballot box and then only if you can find a candidate from the Fully Hektic Bro Party standing in your electorate.
Old 21-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #79
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
All the made up spin doctoring in the world does not change the fact that the ONLY reason that the "look at me" brigade want to use fog lights is because they think it makes them look uber hektic. If this were not the case then there would not be so much emotion.

Another gross generalisation from Grandpa Grumblebum, that is not the only reason.

I really do think an aweful lot of the membership here should be careful with the claims of "look at me brigade", look at some of our cars, without lights on they scream look at me. A lot like an expensive 2 door sports datsun, hey Flappist?
Old 21-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #80
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

This thread is on thin ice, i can feel a lock coming like every other Foglight thread
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 21-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #81
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
This thread is on thin ice, i can feel a lock coming like every other Foglight thread

It really would be no great loss.

The thing we do know for sure is it wil soon be illegal in QLD, if this is a good or bad thing is irrelevant. We also know this subject will never end nicely, as many subjects on here do not.

Apart from those simple truths, the sun will come up in the morning and life will go on.
Old 21-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #82
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

I think it adds that little bit more class to the appereance of your car. It looks nice when you see them on. Some people disagree but I drive with my fog lights on in my Mums Voyager.

Too

Just my opinion
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Closed Thread