Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #61
jonk

The Toyota Hilux ute I've got is one of a pair made in Japan in '89, both were painted in a different yellow than was available so, if it could happen back then, why can't Ford do it now... the evidence is in my shed, try getting it paint matched though, I've tried each time it needed a repair, many shades of yellow now. Too unique.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:11 AM   #62
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Well they were cars made by Toyota. 20 years ago. In Japan.

If people don't understand, how about this. I don't know where everyone works, but imagine if someone comes into your work, wanting to give you around 0.002% of your companies yearly turnover, but only if you spend around $150k-$200k to do what they want.

If the dealer was smart, he could say 'sure, I can order that for you, but it'll cost a couple grand more', then order the car, send it off to a paintshop, get the car prepped/sprayed, then deliver it to the OP's mate. Going by a lot of the posts in this thread, no-one would know the difference then argue 'oh I got this car factory painted in my own colour because of my supreme bargaining skill'.

It'll look a lot better than all of the factory painted 'orange peel' specials Ford sell these days anyway.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #63
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

I've been out of the taxi game for a few years, but FWIW:

I was in a (white) BFII wagon taxi yesterday.

The owner/driver cabbie said he bought it new through City Ford 6 months ago with the taxi pack (LPG, vinyl seats, rubber mats). He thought it was a factory fitted pack.

The seats and mats looked really schmicko. The seats had all the sculpturing and stitching that cloth XT seats usually have, versus the plain seat covers that most cabs have. It was like the usual cloth inserts had just been replaced with vinyl, and the colour was exactly the same as the seat backs and document holders in the back of the seats. Good quality vinyl also. The mats also seemed a lot better formed and integrated than the ones that usually get bunged in by the fleet garage.

It looked like a factory job to me.

I can't see Ford doing a one-off paint colour for anybody thogh.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #64
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Wow can't believe the thread has gone this far off topic!

If you don't like the colours available then it will simply be a respray at your own expense done through the dealer or after you pick it up.
I also don't understand how Fords black isn't black enough? There is so little metallic through it that you would only see it on sunny days when looking for them.
Not worth the expense.

And if you want the factory black to really look deep.
Instead of respraying it ... maybe get a panel shop to put a few more coats of clear over it ... instead of just changing the colour to a different black.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #65
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

can panel beaters actully can put a few more coats of clear coat over it, i didnt know this ! hmm that give me an idea for my el
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post