Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #61
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default Re: Commodore to be built overseas after 2014

Politics and the rest of the venting going on in this thread will see another thread close.
Lets concentrate and try and stick to the thread topic.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #62
kiwimark

i personally see that as a sign that holden is slowly killing off the name .... just the same as ford is now doing with the current run out limited edition xr6's not one of them has a falcon badge on the boot anymore.....[/QUOTE]
I disagree - An iconic car doesnt need a name badge - the 911 hasnt had one for years, Ferrari dont use them - Falcon and Commodores brand is as strong enough in Aus as the 2 examples.
On the flip side remember how bad the badge was on the AU, perhaps that turned buyers off rather than the crate grill?
kiwimark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #63
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I do find it funny, that we only ever get stories/rumors of Ford and Holden packing up production here and moving offshore. Never of Toyota.

I'd say the media likes to drum up a story moreso on these two rather than Toyota.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #64
Gman_86_xr6

I honestly think this story has about as much credibility as all of the rumours revolving around Ford doing the same thing with Falcon. Both FoMoCo and GM have shown serious interest and investment in Engineering in Australia. The reality is, in a business as volatile as car manufacturing, nothing is certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Im surprised Glover hasn't had his spin on it.

"Holdens Iconic Commodore is set for world wide domination"
He wasn't quite that blatant, he settled with just denying it and suggesting it was hogwash (As heard on 3AW in his usual 2PM Thursday spot)
Gman_86_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
I do find it funny, that we only ever get stories/rumors of Ford and Holden packing up production here and moving offshore. Never of Toyota.

I'd say the media likes to drum up a story moreso on these two rather than Toyota.
Toyota did it not long ago, saying if the government doesn't work with them they can easily make the Camry in one of the other 7 factories across the world that build Camry. They are probably the one under the most pressure really, they could be shut down overnight with next to no loss of supply, they would just source it from elsewhere.

Ford and Holden can't get Falcon and Commodore from anywhere else.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Here we go again.
Anyone who has been following GM's RWD programs will know that they announced some time ago
that quite a bit of RWD development work would be heading away from Holden in Australia to places like:

1) Shanghai GM id working on Zeta II which is specifically LWB Zeta versions like The Holden Caprice and Buick Park Avenue

2) Sigma Platform has n\been modified to use Zeta's suspension modules, Cadillac CTS is set to grow next year.

3)Alpha Platform, started as a light weight Torana TT36 vehicle but since Cadillac and GMNA have
played with it, it's now a car for everyone and has grown both on size and weight to just under Zeta.

I don't know what the future holds for Holden's design team, I heard they were working on the
large version of Epsillon II for Cadillac and Chevrolet due to their large car expertise.

Looks like Ford isn't ready to announce anything yet, maybe the media buzzards have found new prey to crunch on..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #67
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Hmmm I remember this thread back in '09,

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...256013&page=14

and my certain post, number 412, on page 14, to which I was canned for, anyone think differently now.

This is what I posted back then,

I know of a certain CEO of one of the major 4 bank's in Aus to which my Partner had a one to one meeting with the other week, and talked exstensivley to him about such topic's and according to him,
He believe's that Australia should not have an auto car industry, it is not viable.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #68
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
It IS becoming too expensive to manufacture here, what with all the lazy SOBs on production lines wanting more for less...

Wake up pal. Not all the production line workers are lazy SOB. Like every employment place. You have your easy jobs and you have jobs where you're busting your ***. And just for your information, ALL assembley line workers, within their particular plant area, rotate jobs. So one week, you're taking it easy and the next you're busting your ***.

So pull your head in and stop writing bulldust, when you know bugger all about their employment conditions

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Feels good that the shoe is on the other foot IMO.Z
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #70
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

The massive decline in sales figures for these 2 over the last decade makes it obvious that not many aussie buyers really give a $&/7 about whether falcon or commodore can be sourced elsewhere and the painful truth that these 2 large car icons will be dead and gone in less than 5 years. It may give many that incentive to drop a couple of kilos as the Cruze is substantially smaller and the holden yards will be full to the brim with them in all colours of the rainbow. Question is what Ford will be replacing the Falcon with in 2 - 3 years time ?

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #71
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Feels good that the shoe is on the other foot IMO.Z
You know, I do concede to feeling that as well.

Lukeyson
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #72
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mr Button's plan worked too well (the very cheap imports) and with the GFC Detroit now needs more of the share but taking it from Australia. Meanwhile Bob Brown has a smile from ear to ear as another heavy poluting industry is slowly dying in Oz. We cant go back to horse and cart as horses fart!!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #73
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're lucky we even have a car industry given our tiny population. It would have been far easier and profitable to just bring in cars from overseas.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #74
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Toyota did it not long ago, saying if the government doesn't work with them they can easily make the Camry in one of the other 7 factories across the world that build Camry. They are probably the one under the most pressure really, they could be shut down overnight with next to no loss of supply, they would just source it from elsewhere.

THIS.

Toyota do it every time they're deciding which plant to build their new engine or new vehicle in. Looks like Holden have caught on, now...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #75
apfgxr6

just think how mutch money every CHEV loving bogan will save from not having to buy there own badges, the cars will already have them fitted before they get to australia!
apfgxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #76
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimark
I disagree - An iconic car doesnt need a name badge - the 911 hasnt had one for years, Ferrari dont use them - Falcon and Commodores brand is as strong enough in Aus as the 2 examples.
On the flip side remember how bad the badge was on the AU, perhaps that turned buyers off rather than the crate grill?
hehe funnily enough the introduction of the 991 911 does have a 911 badge on the boot of the Carrera, though I think it is an option (hopefully).

As for the topic at hand, eh not really seeing any credibility in it.
I don't see them moving the engineering & design anywhere.
It could be the company wanting more money but who started all this?

I think this will be a good opportunity for the government to assess the viability of manufacturing in this country and work on ways to make it more attractive to do so. I am not talking about simply handing out $$ to big companies that have the $$ in the bank but want to hold the government to ransom. I am sick of seeing my money being poured out to large manufacturers dealing out mediocre products time and time again.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #77
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I think Australia will (in the future) be more of a design and final assembelly stage.

I can see alot of the sheet metal being pressed overseas, and with most drivetrains being global, i'ld hate to say it but engines wont be built here.

Just a thought...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #78
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There is still a market for large cars and it will remain so but not as large as it once was
now that people have more choices of vehicles in other segments like SUVs and PU/CCs
now being more popular.

If the anual sales increase from 1 million, it is logical that slight increases in large cars
and other and all other segments will happen, that could be good for our market.

I therefore wouldn't be so down hearted about the future of Falcon and Commodore...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #79
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Here we go again.
Anyone who has been following GM's RWD programs will know that they announced some time ago
that quite a bit of RWD development work would be heading away from Holden in Australia to places like:

1) Shanghai GM id working on Zeta II which is specifically LWB Zeta versions like The Holden Caprice and Buick Park Avenue

2) Sigma Platform has n\been modified to use Zeta's suspension modules, Cadillac CTS is set to grow next year.

3)Alpha Platform, started as a light weight Torana TT36 vehicle but since Cadillac and GMNA have
played with it, it's now a car for everyone and has grown both on size and weight to just under Zeta.

I don't know what the future holds for Holden's design team, I heard they were working on the
large version of Epsillon II for Cadillac and Chevrolet due to their large car expertise.

Looks like Ford isn't ready to announce anything yet, maybe the media buzzards have found new prey to crunch on..
There's a GMH registered small Cadillac running around near me, black and RHD. Rego begins UAM...
Old 03-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #80
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
It IS becoming too expensive to manufacture here, what with all the lazy SOBs on production lines wanting more for less...
Says the man post at 10:40 am.

Shouldnt you be at work? working?
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #81
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfgxr6
just think how mutch money every CHEV loving bogan will save from not having to buy there own badges, the cars will already have them fitted before they get to australia!
Its much, you a ford loving bogan that cant spell then?
On a serious note, Hopefully the car will continue in some from of rwd capacity, even if the platform is shared.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #82
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom
There's a GMH registered small Cadillac running around near me, black and RHD. Rego begins UAM...
Interesting, as Cadillacs are not normally RHD, this is unreleased ATS:

Old 03-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #83
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
hehe funnily enough the introduction of the 991 911 does have a 911 badge on the boot of the Carrera, though I think it is an option (hopefully).
Also this nose-end product of Porsche Design Studio shows its number!

And perhaps not entirely OT as it shows how a car manufacturer's design team can get work on a range of projects anywhere in the world.

It seems to me Holden is going the opposite direction to Ford with its Australian design team. As the Porsche example shows, a good design team can find work anywhere but manufacturing is sink or swim. If the story is true then Ford's strength is the swim option (design/engineering) and Holden the sticking with the sink option (local manufacturing).
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #84
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247
Says the man post at 10:40 am.

Shouldnt you be at work? working?
That is a broad assumption there. I've been working arvo shift (2pm to 10pm) for almost 11 years. The majority of my posts are 10am to midday or around midnight. But also, how do you know he isn't on an RDO or annual leave. I myself, right now, am on a weeks annual leave.

I agree with previous posters about the cost of labour vs. productivity. I believe I'm a hard worker, I put in more than my share, reliable, rarely call in sick.

The bludgers I see everyday at my work make me feel sick. Always on bookface or whatever on their mobiles, always using all their sick leave and much more, always late, always yapping away. I see one good employee in every twenty we give a try. It's no wonder we can't compete with countries with lower labour costs.

EDIT: I should clarify, that is what I've observed in my work place at a 24 hour plant with between 80 and 150 workers on each shift. I'm not saying Ford, Toyota, or Holden (, or Mitsubishi) had or have the same labour problems.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza

Last edited by Watto_Cobra; 04-11-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its good to see someone other than Ford copping it for once.

Ford should come out tommorow with the news Falcon is staying RWD just to sink the boots in.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #86
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
We're lucky we even have a car industry given our tiny population. It would have been far easier and profitable to just bring in cars from overseas.
And what work force could afford to buy a car that can tow a caravan or even a boat . The Australian car industry employs thousands and the money made filters down to even the local bakery. The way Australia is going it will be just a tourist destination like Bali and nothing else.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #87
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its good to see someone other than Ford copping it for once.

Ford should come out tommorow with the news Falcon is staying RWD just to sink the boots in.
I hadn't visted the forum for a while, and that's the first thing I thought when my brother informed me (he'd seen it on Sky Business and the local news). So first thing I do is login and get my news from here.

We all saw the press hound Mitsubishi Australia until they finally closed Tonsley Park. They've been predicting either Falcon to be FWD or re-badged Taurus or to completely die for years now. Everytime, I've had to take stick from my Holden fan mates.

It was nice to throw something back at them for once. But the worry is, if either Ford or Holden or Toyota shut up shop here, the pressure on local suppliers may force the remaining two out of business here.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #88
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
That is a broad assumption there. I've been working arvo shift (2pm to 10pm) for almost 11 years. The majority of my posts are 10am to midday or around midnight.

I agree with previous posters about the cost of labour vs. productivity. I believe I'm a hard worker, I put in more than my share, reliable, rarely call in sick.

The bludgers I see everyday at my work make me feel sick. Always on bookface or whatever on their mobiles, always using all their sick leave and much more, always late, always yapping away. I see one good employee in every twenty we give a try. It's no wonder we can't compete with countries with lower labour costs.

EDIT: I should clarify, that is what I've observed in my work place at a 24 hour plant with between 80 and 150 workers on each shift. I'm not saying Ford, Toyota, or Holden (, or Mitsubishi) had or have the same labour problems.
Shhh let me troll in peace...

Seriously though i see it all the time people on internet telling people how much better they are or that others are lazy yet they're at work spending most of the time on the internet.

I work bloody hard and i dont get paid enough for what i do considering im qualified tradesman. If theres lazy people at your work maybe you should point them out to management
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #89
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you're not expecting the car to be around much longer, is it really making that much of a statement?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #90
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
I see one good employee in every twenty we give a try. It's no wonder we can't compete with countries with lower labour costs.
Does that really surprise you?

It never ceases to amaze me how little people care about their ongoing employment, acting as if their boss owes them a living. A nation of princesses.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post