Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #61
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Supercar scare

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
not the,, same an LJ... GTR-XU2
is a lot lighter than the SLR 5000 or A9X

Im actually lead to beleive that XU-2 was never ment to be a LJ, but a name thrown about as holden was developing the SL/R 5000...

The V8 LJ was never intended to be called the XU-2...

XU-1 was accually GM-H production code for the bathurst toranas, and in a marketing ace, stuck Xu-1 stickers on the side of the GTR's...

XU-3 was also used as a production code...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #62
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Pictures here on an old torana forum of the xu2, yes it was based on the LH body shell.
http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/...hind-the-xu-2/
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #63
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Yep...

LJ never was going to be XU-2

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 29-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
it seems the rules were always going to change for 1973. because the cars were no longer going to be series production, then the manufacturers no longer had the need to build them
as others have suggested adr27a? would have made it difficult to continue with those cars

i doubt they would have gone to big blocks. I believe moff tried a big block in his mustang, but the 302 was quicker because the 302 weighed less and therefore made the car turn in better
It was a 351 Clevo he tried, a much heavier engine than a 302 Boss, and he didn't like the way it altered the handling balance having the extra weight over the nose.

Ford would have trialled a big block or 2 in HO's, but the extra weight over the nose wouldn't have done it too many favours. Al Turner also had a proposal to do a V8 Cortina, but it was rejected by management pretty early in the piece.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #65
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

that link suggests that the first v8 torana was going to be based on the lj body shape
i have heard both sides - that the xu-2 was going to be the lh - and that 3 xu-1 v8's were built and then destroyed. leo prunea? the holden designer of the time told street machine, that they had built 3 xu-1 v8s . . . just as the text beside the yellow "xu-2" in that link suggested

i fail to see how that yellow car was a prototype for the xu-2. the so called xu-2 was being built in 72 and that yellow car's body (lh) was released 2 years later. why make a prototype of a car, 2 years before it is actually made
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #66
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

No one is sayin there was no V8 LJ...Harr Firth built them and holden destroyed them.

But the terminology is wrong...with Xu-1 the internal product code for LC-LJ bathurst spec GTR's...and XU-2 holdens LH-LX program.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 30-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #67
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded
I thought the Phase IV was gonna get 4 wheel discs?
You would have thought so but the four built didn't - the brakes were a carry over but with improved cooling (mostly thanks to the larger wheels). As 4 wheel disks didn't appear for another full model cycle on the GT that would seem to confirm it not being part of Phase IV plans.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #68
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded
Don't shoot me down as I'm a massive fan of the XY's, but you have to wonder if it would have become the cult hero it is without the supercar scare,
they XY was already a hero, phase 4 would have been for the XA.
Old 30-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #69
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
"old man emu" In the song, the emu was quiker then the Kangaroo...

And Holdens 'Old man emu' was to be a 400ci monaro...

The blue one is a clay styling mock up for proposal...and the yellow one ment to be fitted with a 400ci...with the 350/z to through Ford off the sent.

In the end, it (the cost) wasn't justified, and holden stuck with the XU-1
Yep, I remember the article with those cars in it. There was also a picture of a factory mock-up (similar to the top photo of Old Man Emu) of an LH which acually had "XU-2" on the front guard.
I thought it was clever naming it Old Man Emu as well...apparently the advertising jingle was worked out and everything...it was to be the classic song but instead of "run the pants off a kangaroo" it was to be changed to "run the pants off a Super roo"...clever!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #70
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inevitably GMH lied they produced the A9x and the let PB go about developing their cars under the HDT banner so as not be seen as directly involved ( they were ). Ford restarted producing years later and Chrysler unfortunately became defunct. It was great era but todays cars would leave all the so called supercars floundering. At what stage will they call a halt this time 350Kw 400Kw ?? I wonder.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #71
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Interesting thread! mik's earlier comment about the rate at which car performance had increased is an important one I think, plenty of people who had never driven a car capable of more than 80mph would be horrified at the prospect of sharing the road with something capable of twice as much.

Its interesting to read Moby Vic's comments too - yes individual politicians may not get much reaction but when tens of thousands of government fleet sales are held to ransom that got the car companies' attention.

Also were there many US cars of the day that would do 140mph plus? It seems that most of the muscle cars had low diff ratios and topped out at 130 or so, I suppose a taller diff was an option.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #72
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

the most iintersting thing is that the "supercar scare" and the infamous article did nothing to stop the big 3...

Holden destroyed the 3 V8 LJ's, and told the others to do the same...but still went ahead and built the V8 bathurst special LH/LX torries...

Ford Canned the Phase 4 after one was quitely built, but still homolgated "special bathurst parts" under the RPO83 option...right up untill the XC 500 GS "evo" and Cobra bathurst models, both homolgating parts to keep the falcon competitive.

Chrysler still released the V8 charger, and the E49 charger was avaiable for bathurst...

Supercar scare? What supercar scare?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 30-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #73
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
the most iintersting thing is that the "supercar scare" and the infamous article did nothing to stop the big 3...

Holden destroyed the 3 V8 LJ's, and told the others to do the same...but still went ahead and built the V8 bathurst special LH/LX torries...

Ford Canned the Phase 4 after one was quitely built, but still homolgated "special bathurst parts" under the RPO83 option...right up untill the XC 500 GS "evo" and Cobra bathurst models, both homolgating parts to keep the falcon competitive.

Chrysler still released the V8 charger, and the E49 charger was avaiable for bathurst...

the jury is still out on wheather holden actually destoyed "all" the V8 LJ..

it's rumored that harry firth still had the "strike me pink" coloured torrie.
the two ice blue one's are rumored to be destoyed.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #74
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:

Good point Nikked.
Fact- 351 Falcons were still available and got some good track results in 73 & 74!
Fact- valiant charger got it's 340, but in auto form in the e55 version limited run I believe, if you wanted a v8 charger after that limited run, 318 & some 360s were available, enough said there!
Fact- torana got its v8, who cares if the xu2 was lj or lh, leave that rubbish for the holden forums please!
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #75
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
No one is sayin there was no V8 LJ...Harr Firth built them and holden destroyed them.

But the terminology is wrong...with Xu-1 the internal product code for LC-LJ bathurst spec GTR's...and XU-2 holdens LH-LX program.
when people talk about the xu-2, many people - including the author of one of the articles in this thread and it seems people who have posted in this thread think of the torana v8 that was part of the supercar superscare. many poeple believe that the lh torana was the car involved in it - obviously that was not the case. certainly holden's plans were thrown into dissaray as ford's were, and did not just continue with the car as planned, as some throughout the last 40 years have claimed

you are correct with the xu-2 code name being used for the lh. i believe it was the code name for the slr5000 only. having said that (and not disputing what you have posted), i would think that the yellow lh in the pic is not an xu-2 as it seems to be claimed as. certainly not a production model anyway - it might be similar to the 400ci hq, and even the xc gt that the companies dabbled with but did not produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It was a 351 Clevo he tried, a much heavier engine than a 302 Boss, and he didn't like the way it altered the handling balance having the extra weight over the nose.

Ford would have trialled a big block or 2 in HO's, but the extra weight over the nose wouldn't have done it too many favours. Al Turner also had a proposal to do a V8 Cortina, but it was rejected by management pretty early in the piece.
you are probably right - i cannot find anything at present regarding a big block, and i think i can remember it being a 351 now as well. i say probably, but you probably know you are right
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #76
4stanger