Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 31-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #61
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: What is the best car you can buy for under $6000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Today, however, it would be a TJII Magna. Unbreakable, not terrible looking, great engine, and more inclusions than you can find in the 80s/90s cars thread.
the last of the super light steering nice front magnas.. my vote too
Old 31-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #62
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

For under $6k you could practically have any AU1 Falcon you wanted. And even a few of the S2/3 models too.

Of course it gets my vote in every deciding criteria.
Old 31-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #63
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman

Ford_The_Win: Your assertions that Falcons of that era are poorly made and break down often are nothing short of fallacious. Maybe you just happened to pick up a bad example?

If you don't want your car, I'll come down from Brisbane and pick it up.
Just look at that marvellous fit and finish, flawlessly joined seams and high quality plastics...not. Ask Coyote to take some pics of his trim and I'll bet it's the same. It's just crap quality. I would seriously consider selling you the old dog but I'd never get back the money I have wasted on it.

Just the other week on a wet day, turning through a roundabout at a very sensible speed the back end of the car decided it wanted to have a play and drifted towards the gutter, fortunately I knew what to do in this situation and corrected the car... I'm the sort of person who's tacho never sees more than 1800rpm...and my car has new tyres. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the live axle.

Whereas in a Magna you can really push them into corners, the only problem they have is a bit of torque steer doing U-turns and maneuvres like that, no worries at all. Some people might regard a car's ability to drift as a good thing.. I don't.

In my opinion no matter how good the I6 might be, no matter how comfortable the seats are in the Falc...the Magna handles safer (not "better" - but safer) and is built better. Thus, it is better suited to a novice driver.
Old 31-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #64
V8XTasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
I am going to say a Rover P6, why? For some reason I want one!!!
I had a 1973 P6 in the UK, great cat, but rusted to hell underneath. Can you get them in Australia?
Old 31-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #65
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
why? they're pretty good little cars to drive
hell yes they are nice to drive, my mother owns a 2004 model with only 87,000km, suprinsingly alot of guts that would put most late model small cars to shame. And the ride was great, soaked up the bumps. The previous owner also fitted a fake interior woodgrain kit, and it really does look sweet with the black plastics

however, its had ALOT of issues thats cost ALOT of money each time, as its a "bitsa" car from different euro makes. She has had the (dis)pleasure of owning the car from very low km's and the problems the car has had should not happen so early. Many other owners have seen the same thing....... i also like how the timing belt schedule was revised from 100k to 80k due to early failures

She cant bring herself to sell the damn thing, as the maintainance & repair costs have been too much to lose out at this stage
Old 31-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #66
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I'd buy a mint ed or mint ef over a clapped out au or ba, that's for sure.
i certainly wouldnt

because a clapped out AU will hold out as a reliable clapped out AU for a lot longer than a mint ED/EF can keep its 'mintness' before random crap starts failing
Old 31-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #67
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
i hope that was sarcasm?
Me too.. Astras are hell expensive when it comes to repairs and spare parts.. My friend has an AH which she bought new and its starting to get costly and its not even hit 100,000 kms yet (brakes, water pump etc etc).

I personally wouldn't touch one as a used car!
Old 31-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #68
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
2003-4 Holden Astra?
this would be a sure fire way to turn him off owning a car forever ,..they are a money pit !
Old 31-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #69
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
i certainly wouldnt

because a clapped out AU will hold out as a reliable clapped out AU for a lot longer than a mint ED/EF can keep its 'mintness' before random crap starts failing
personally im very iffy about buying cars at more than 100,000km, with more than 150,000km id want it very very cheap, at over 200,000km wouldnt buy at any price. (unless you personally knew the car since new)

Surely for under $6000, a 1 owner old man ed fairmont ghia, low km in mint condition is better than a ex cab au? Even better than a ex company car au.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #70
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Falcon would cost 2.5k to insure for a P plater also. Btw my first car was a au xr8 ute zero accidents, never broke down, live axel and no traction control= perfection.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #71
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
personally im very iffy about buying cars at more than 100,000km, with more than 150,000km id want it very very cheap, at over 200,000km wouldnt buy at any price. (unless you personally knew the car since new)

Surely for under $6000, a 1 owner old man ed fairmont ghia, low km in mint condition is better than a ex cab au? Even better than a ex company car au.
i would rather an AU with 250,000km highway km's, than an EF with 80,000km city km's

a bloke i know with an AU futura just ticked over 300,000km, he hasnt serviced or maintained it at all since he bought it a few years ago. Ok, i lie, he has replaced the fuel pump & rear tailpipe section.

this car does/has done frequent heavy towing for years, with no trans cooler, 10 year old trans fluid. It shifts perfect...... everything in the car works perfect. Surely this must be a testament of a well built car........ theres no way an E-series would hold up to these conditions, probably not even a BA
Old 31-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

As anti Honda as I am, you can't go past these:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...px?R=11016713&

Like a Fairlane, except with more cool features and crap to go wrong.

Pr of you're a cool guy like me:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...px?R=11047176&

Only the best colours.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #73
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

never buy a car on klms alone ,..,..ive seen it many times people getting burnt buying a low klm car,... a seldomly used car usually shows up more issues than a regurlary driven car its the overall condition and service history that tell the real story,......

a well serviced high mileage company reps car that does constant hwy klms is always going to be a better car than a low klm seldom used 1 owner old man car ,..not to mention much more affordable to buy .
Old 31-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #74
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
why? they're pretty good little cars to drive
3 door turbo astra sounds ok to me, they dont look too bad either (apart from the dash!)

Subaru Outback '02
Old 31-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #75
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:

I don't get it..... You ask for opinions on here, whilst giving your own thoughts. But after 3 pages of replies you just keep saying the same thing?

If you ask for people's opinions, how about listening?
Old 31-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #76
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
TE-TH Magna in 3 or 3.5 V6 form. It is quick, handles well, excellent build quality and reliability, very safe and won't wrap itself around a pole unlike the VS/VT Commo or EF-AU Falc. The Falcon will have better ride quality and more comfortable seats but the handling is less predictable...less safe for a young bloke. And reliability & build quality aren't exactly world class, especially for the E-series. I think Blind Freddie built my Falc. Mine had 100 thou on the clock when I bought it and it's been a dog so far.

A P-plater does NOT need 157kw and heaps of torque. My EL has suprised me at times, and not in a good way. I wouldn't recommend one.

Anything smaller in that price range wouldn't be very safe. Maybe a Liberty, something like that perhaps?
gee i would have thought the other way, maybe your au is different to mine but i`ve driven magna`s with their torque steer , and i would`nt compare one to my au , au is way safer imo, but to each his own.
Old 31-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #77
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
It depends on the person. However, safety would also be a universally big priority when it comes to buying cars for a young person. For its age, the AU Falcon is actually quite a safe car (excellent airbag system, with more detailed sensing than the equivalent large cars, and a front centre passenger's airbag). I couldn't find safety data for the concurrent Magna, but the 03-05 Magna is considerably less safe in all areas (especially neck and chest; the Magna is actually quite worrying in that respect). It also has a big problem with it's engine; the cylinders aren't all in a line.

The VX Commodore is another option, but in my opinion is inferior to the AU. The wheezy Buick lump provides basically no power and torque, and its NVH level is somewhere between zero and zero (and this is coming from a Focus lover!). Contemporary articles comparing the Commodore and Falcon praised the Falcon's communicative steering feel and derided the Commodore's antiseptic tiller (I'll see if I can find some quotes). I don't have safety data for this model.

In my opinion, the best all round car (for reasons of safety, reliability, torque, steering feel) that you can buy at that price is the good old AU Falcon Ute (safer than the sedan, and looks better to boot). For small car lovers, the LR Focus is the way to go, with exceptional side impact protection for a 12 year old design. The TS Astra is also an option worth considering.

I know some of you will cry foul because I keep recommending Fords, but I can't help it, Ford really does make some good cars. Why does everyone (on a FORD FORUM ffs) have such a problem with them, to the extent of comparing the OP to a used car salesman when he discusses the merits of a particular option for younger drivers?
You are joking aren't you? Since when is a ute safer than a sedan? Live rear axle, h/duty springs! Pal you need a raelity check, the only thing safer about them is you kill, maim 3 less of your mates that you can't carry.
As for the assertion VX commodores are lacking in NVH levels you are way off the mark. They are on par with the falcon of that era. Perhaps you drove one with crap tyres?
Before you assume anything I do own both a VX sedan AND a BF falcon ute and the commodore is a limo compared to the old ute. Perhaps you should actually own a couple of cars before putting your 2 cents worth in.
Back on topic, as has been mentioned by others, older low K cars are just as much of a lottery as well maintained average K vehicles. Short distance trips and or sitting around do nothing for seals and gaskets. Potentially all you get is a MINT looking car that costs you money repairing, not maintianing.
I have a perfect example! Our rep car a mitsu 380 '05 model has 270,000 Ks on it. Very basic servicing by a no name mech. since warranty expired and still tight as a drum. Beautful car to drive still. Would I buy it NO. but it is a good example that high k cars = sh**tbox isn't gospel
I have achieved a personal milestone t/nite. Posted on one of Hulks threads without mentioning how inane it is (whoops).
Old 31-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #78
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Renault Clio Sport

Falcons and Commodores are bogan mobiles, slap a p plate on it and assume the position anytime a cop car sees you.

Whereas, and this is a theory that I and other friends proved successfully when we were younger, driving around like dicks, but never getting pulled over in our Alfas/BMWs/Benz's/Volvo's/etc

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 31-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #79
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL
You are joking aren't you? Since when is a ute safer than a sedan? Live rear axle, h/duty springs! Pal you need a raelity check, the only thing safer about them is you kill, maim 3 less of your mates that you can't carry.
I meant in terms of crashworthiness.
Old 31-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #80
Parkway
I Like Turtles

Just buy three Daihatsu Charades/Hyundai Excels for $6000. If something falls off it, pick that part off one of the others cars. With a tailwind, it can just reach 60; so his mum will be happy. Tint the windows at 5% to save the embarassment and if anyone asks, just say you're borrowing your sisters car because your twin turbo BA ute sleeper has blown a diff from doing sick burnouts. I dare you to find a flaw.
Old 31-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #81
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Just look at that marvellous fit and finish, flawlessly joined seams and high quality plastics...not. Ask Coyote to take some pics of his trim and I'll bet it's the same. It's just crap quality. I would seriously consider selling you the old dog but I'd never get back the money I have wasted on it.

Just the other week on a wet day, turning through a roundabout at a very sensible speed the back end of the car decided it wanted to have a play and drifted towards the gutter, fortunately I knew what to do in this situation and corrected the car... I'm the sort of person who's tacho never sees more than 1800rpm...and my car has new tyres. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the live axle.

Whereas in a Magna you can really push them into corners, the only problem they have is a bit of torque steer doing U-turns and maneuvres like that, no worries at all. Some people might regard a car's ability to drift as a good thing.. I don't.

In my opinion no matter how good the I6 might be, no matter how comfortable the seats are in the Falc...the Magna handles safer (not "better" - but safer) and is built better. Thus, it is better suited to a novice driver.
Taking a look at those photos that you posted, it seems that in your particular example at least, you're right... not good quality at all. That said, the pre-FG Falcons that I've been in haven't been put together like this (FG is a different story), and I believe that the car that you own is an anomaly.

I see your point about the Magna handling safer; to a novice driver, they might find the more, for lack of a better word, 'FWD' handling to be more manageable, and they don't have to worry about the power and torque *thinks back to the first time he drove a Falcon*.

I have a friend who had a green EL Futura as his first car (not unlike yours). He told me how much he loved the car, especially the engine (with all its effortless power). He said that he had the temptation to street race people because of the power of the car. However, a few months after he got the car, he was involved in a frontal collision at high speed, writing off the car (however, he was unscathed; a testament to the safety of the car, which was good in its day).

However, for me, the I6 (and the steering feel of the AU) is simply too good to pass up.
Old 31-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #82
nstg8a

Quote:

that just reads like some teenager who doesnt really know anything but has read lots...

id hate to be stuck behind you if your car never goes over 1800 rpm, or it unexplainably 'drifts' on wet roundabouts while going sensible speeds.

ive owned dozens of live axle cars, not just falcons and ive never had one step out for no reason.
yes its done it when the roads oily, or ive been a bit abrupt with the throttle on a wet day.

the falcon live axle is imo no worse than any other rwd car in the wet.
Old 31-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #83
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
I don't get it..... You ask for opinions on here, whilst giving your own thoughts. But after 3 pages of replies you just keep saying the same thing?

If you ask for people's opinions, how about listening?
i am listening but some people are obviously pulling my leg saying high km cars are better than low km cars?

sure service history is important but a thrashed company car well serviced still wont be better than an old man who rarely drives it and rarely services it. (dont you know what happens to company cars? Thrashed)

i was at carcity recently looking at a car which looked ok, i asked the salesman how many km after he was boasting about the car how mint it is, only 244000km he mutters under his breath. only 244000 ???

i could hear a balloon burst in his heart as he said it
Old 31-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #84
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Not all company cars are thrashed. A fair percentage likely spend 90% of their time parked in car parks or sitting on 100-105km/h on the highway with cruise control on.
Old 31-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #85
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Au...
Old 31-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #86
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

You're asking this question on ford owner's forum.
Of course 90% of the people are going to recommend Falcons.

I'd recommend either a Corolla (especially the twin-cam versions, I've owned one) or a Camry (I currently drive a Camry wagon, my sister has had hers for years and nothing has ever gone wrong).

Australian cars really aren't the best cars on the market, build quality tends to be atrocious, the I6 in the Falcons tend to be inefficient - their one saving grace (imo) is the reasonably large amount of torque on offer.

With fuel prices going the way they are, you'd be crazy to recommend a large car for a P-plater - even if the car has LPG you still have to run it on petrol every now and then.

The days of the large Australian sedan seem to be coming to an end, times change.
Tell the kid to get a 4 cylinder Jap car with a manual gearbox. Who really cares if it has to be FWD, why does everybody want to be a race-car driver on the streets.

This is all coming from an 18 year old, say what you will. I've owned an EA falcon, an EBII XR6, an 87 Telstar, an 86 twin cam corolla and now the Camry and I can tell you without a doubt which cars make more sense to own for a young person.

Surprisingly the EA was by far the most reliable, closely followed by the $750 Telstar.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #87
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Quote:
i am listening but some people are obviously pulling my leg saying high km cars are better than low km cars?

sure service history is important but a thrashed company car well serviced still wont be better than an old man who rarely drives it and rarely services it. (dont you know what happens to company cars? Thrashed)

i was at carcity recently looking at a car which looked ok, i asked the salesman how many km after he was boasting about the car how mint it is, only 244000km he mutters under his breath. only 244000 ???

i could hear a balloon burst in his heart as he said it
The old bloke probably rarely drives further than the local shops, condensation forms in the exhaust so that will probably be rooted.
The cylinders could be fairly heavily glazed, most old people never take their Falcons above 2000rpm.
If he only drives to the local shops, the engine probably never gets warmed up properly.
If the servicing is done every 10 000 kms but they only do 10 000 every two years, the fluids are probably no good.

I could probably think up some more obvious reasons.
I'd prefer a country car that'd done 200 000 highway kms to a city car that had done 50 000
Old 01-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #88
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Also, Hulk BA you sure do seem to visit a lot of caryards without buying.
I seem to recall reading one of your threads about how you went and thrashed an LS1 powered Holden without having any intention to buy..?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #89
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

buy a cheap jap 4 cyl and be done with it. my $1500 excel is still going after 240,000k's (touch wood). i'd be looking at excels/accents/charade/corolla/etc.

i washed my sister in laws car for her the other day (she is 18) the car is a 2008 subaru impreza - it was neat with highish k's when she got it last year. now it has a cracked front bumper from hitting someone, a cracked rear bumper from being hit, it looks like it has been buffed with a brick up the doors, the wheels have chunks taken out of them with gutters and she wants to buy a new car (probably so she can treat it like crap as well).

not saying all young people will treat their cars badly, but when you are your P's is when you learn to drive and make mistakes - better to do that on a cheap car and get a decent one in a few years time..
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #90
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
you have no common sense....... is that what you summarized from our opinions reagrding km's?

this thread a waste of time imo
Closed Thread