Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #61
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia Trip

[QUOTE

What kind of stuff that is small and lightweight would be good to bring for trading? I don't know what we've got here that might interest you that you can't get, but I'm thinking things like sales brochures, magazines, maybe some CDs or something.[/QUOTE]
Some real `zippo` lighters ?
Old 22-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #62
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate vegemite is good stuff, but it`s flavour is strong so you put it sparingly on your breakfast toast......nothing better, as for Melbournes weather , often there is a bit of a running feud between melbourneites and sydney folk about who has the best weather, while at times it can be unpredictable in melbourne (usually in winter), sydneys annual rainfall is about twice what melbournes is, although our last 2 summers in Melbourne have been mild due to the El Ninio effect apparently, we have had a little more rain than the norm.
not a bad thing, tempreture has been in the 20`s and low mid 30 celcius for the most part(grouse weather).
i`ll never forget a few years ago when tiger woods got off at melb airport(tullamarine), we where having a hot spell in the 40 celcius range, the first words he said as he was getting off the plane ......it`s hot as hell here .
as for Bathurst it truly is the great race, great atmosphere, ripping track, just don`t forget to take a hat !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #63
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Uh isn't a travel visa and a visa credit card 2 completely different things.
Yes. That was a joke thingy.
Old 22-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #64
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
Some real `zippo` lighters ?
You can't get those there? Come to think of it, I'm not sure where to get them here, but I know someone who will know.

Supposing I had some of those, what would I be able to get in return? I know they're not cheap. (And I don't smoke.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
mate vegemite is good stuff, but it`s flavour is strong so you put it sparingly on your breakfast toast......nothing better
You know, I recently read a very similar statement on ****.com. We Americans tend toward excess simply because we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
as for Melbournes weather , often there is a bit of a running feud between melbourneites and sydney folk about who has the best weather, while at times it can be unpredictable in melbourne (usually in winter), sydneys annual rainfall is about twice what melbournes is, although our last 2 summers in Melbourne have been mild due to the El Ninio effect apparently, we have had a little more rain than the norm.
not a bad thing, tempreture has been in the 20`s and low mid 30 celcius for the most part(grouse weather).
i`ll never forget a few years ago when tiger woods got off at melb airport(tullamarine), we where having a hot spell in the 40 celcius range, the first words he said as he was getting off the plane ......it`s hot as hell here .
That doesn't really sound much worse than what I'm accustomed to. When I was in Marrakech a few years back it was 44°C, but that was very dry heat. Does it get that hot in October?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
as for Bathurst it truly is the great race, great atmosphere, ripping track, just don`t forget to take a hat !
I've got a good hat for sun. It covers the back of my neck fully. It looks stupid, but it works great. I'm used to being out all day for a 12-hour race at Sebring.

I've seen lots of photos of early Bathurst races. I ordered some great books from GT Performance Ford Shop a few years back. That's why I want to go!

I've got Ewan Kennedy's Ford Falcon GT: 1967–2004 and Stephen Stathis' Bathurst GT-HO Falcons: A Photographic History and Bathurst Hardtop Falcons: A Photographic History. I realize a lot has changed, but it's still V8s and production-based bodies.

Oh, I've also got an XY Falcon GT brochure!
Old 22-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #65
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

If you like History, get your self to Ballarat which is an hour by Falcon from Melbourne. Soverign Hill has a lot on offer there, including details of our only real "civil" kinda war - Eurkea Stockade.

You could do Ballarat, then hop down and see some country side (in your rented Falcon of course) then start the Great Ocean Road from Princetown, see whats left of the 12 apsotles, and make your way to Geelong and the Ford Museum.

Flights to Uluru from Sydney on Virgin Australia are good value. Allow a few days to make sure you see sunrise and sunset at Uluru, plys a day at Kata Tjuta (The Olgas). Kings Canyon, is also a must see. Id go on more places to see in Red Centre but you seem a little time poor.

Blue Mountains is a short train ride from Sydney (and on way to Bathurst) - you could get off and see 3 sisters in the morning. Another good day out of Sydney would be the train from Central Station to Woy Woy which snakes around the Hawkesbury. Then take a bus over my way, drop in ahave a beer with Carol and the crew at Umina Bowlo, then with a few roadies, walk down to catch ferry over to Palm Beach and a Bendy bus back into town.

So much to see - Bathurst will be a blast for you. Am looking forward to being there myself after taking a year off due to a family birthday milestone.
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #66
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Asking for a beer at pub / club in NSW you ask for a schooner..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #67
motomk

Sandown V8s are in Melbourne 3 weeks before Bathurst if you wanted to see 2 races.
I reckon on Ballarat too for History stuff. Point Cook for the RAAF museum. GOR but not a weekend. Maybe drive it backwards ie start from the other end to avoid coaches. You can hire a Falcon XR6 easily sadly not a turbo but a non turbo would do I am sure. Hire an SV6 if you wanted to try the opposition.

You can fly straight into Melbourne from the US. Non stop from LA on either of the "Red ones". The "Big Bus" flies into Melbourne non stop if you wanted to go on that. The "US airline" stops in Sydney.
Maybe go on Air New Zealand if you wanted to break it up and from all accounts I have heard they are good to fly on.
Personally I would stick to Qantas and Virgin when you want to fly internally. Maybe get on their mailing lists.
motomk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #68
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

So many good suggestions! I'm really glad I signed on here.

And I've heard of schooners of beer before. Do the English also use that term?
Old 23-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #69
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
You can't get those there? Come to think of it, I'm not sure where to get them here, but I know someone who will know.

Supposing I had some of those, what would I be able to get in return? I know they're not cheap. (And I don't smoke.)

You know, I recently read a very similar statement on ****.com. We Americans tend toward excess simply because we can.

That doesn't really sound much worse than what I'm accustomed to. When I was in Marrakech a few years back it was 44°C, but that was very dry heat. Does it get that hot in October?

I've got a good hat for sun. It covers the back of my neck fully. It looks stupid, but it works great. I'm used to being out all day for a 12-hour race at Sebring.

I've seen lots of photos of early Bathurst races. I ordered some great books from GT Performance Ford Shop a few years back. That's why I want to go!

I've got Ewan Kennedy's Ford Falcon GT: 1967–2004 and Stephen Stathis' Bathurst GT-HO Falcons: A Photographic History and Bathurst Hardtop Falcons: A Photographic History. I realize a lot has changed, but it's still V8s and production-based bodies.

Oh, I've also got an XY Falcon GT brochure!
good stuff, dam good the old shaker model , it was/is still the king of the aussie muscle era imo.
you should be ok weather wise on october i think, as for your hat, you should fit right in with the rest of the crowd .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #70
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:

The wether has been fairly unpredictable with this La Nina thing, we're pretty used to summers with 30-40+ Degree C days in Sydney, with an afternoon storms, the central west where Bathurst is can be pretty consistent for 40+ days during summer, but October expect high 20's mid 30's. But at the moment the weather doesn't know if it's Arthur or Martha. Lately when I ride to work, I'm really in wet weather gear on the way back, which by the way is starting to smell doggy.

Bring your hat and get some sunscreen when you get here, the sun here gives a nasty bite. I can vouch for that. I burn easy.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #71
snowcone

Quote:
So many good suggestions! I'm really glad I signed on here.

And I've heard of schooners of beer before. Do the English also use that term?

No, the Poms drink Pints and halfs

We have schooners and middies, but only poofs drink middies
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #72
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone

Depends on which state you're in. Here in SA, we drink schooners and pints.
Old 23-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #73
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL this has given me a good laugh.

Well Im from Victoria and have been up in central QLD for a month or so now. All I can say is that I would try my best to book in advance and fly from capital to capital..then get a hire car if you have to. I did a round trip on the weekend which is not much for some people around here (1000kms) and stuff doing that all the time. Generally your driving through the middle of nowhere avoiding wildlife and looking at a straight boring road.

If you want to see the extremes of Australia then I would for now just concentrate on the east coast. Flying into say Melb, then go to Sydney if you really have too, then Gold Coast then go up to Cairns.

Then maybe next time you come see the NT and WA.

Hobart is worth the flight down to aswell, budget say 2-3 days and you will see most of what you need to down there. I go regularly and love the place, but only because its backward and quite. Very pretty though..some people say like a mini NZ.

As for beer I think we are really lucky, most of the common stuff is really good (except XXXX), and we have HEAPS of quality boutique breweries that are very accessible.

Good luck, im the kind of person that would rather see alot of a little than a little of everything.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #74
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone

Middy? Is that a pot? Victoria has pots and pints.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #75
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep we've got pots and pints in vic.

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #76
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Well, it's official!

I got my ETA visa approved and reserved plane tickets the other day. I leave Orlando 22 September for Sydney, and fly out of Melbourne heading back to Orlando on 22 October.

Looks like I won't be able to visit the Ford Discovery Centre.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #77
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

good on ya. Good to see an american that is interested in aussie cars instead of the other way round

Last edited by babyf6; 10-06-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fixed
babyf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #78
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Move your trip forward .... the Ford Discovery Centre in Geelong is closing for good in about a months time ... god knows what Ford is doing ... but it's not good.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #79
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Move your trip forward .... the Ford Discovery Centre in Geelong is closing for good in about a months time ... god knows what Ford is doing ... but it's not good.
I know, I know.

But I'm more interested in seeing the Bathurst race than the Discovery Centre.

Maybe I'll check out the Wool Museum in Geelong instead.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #80
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to add my 0.02c.

Having lived in both cities, I would not spend too much time in Melb or Sydney if I were you. They are just like a big city anywhere in the US, so why travel half way around the world to see that when you can spend your time seeing the real Aus! Sure spend a day or two in the capitals to do the tourist things such as a Bondi visit, Bridge Climb, the Oper House, but then get out in a car and see what the country side has to offer.

Check out country areas. In Vic, places like Bendigo and Ballarat for a little bit of history. Phillip Island ( MotoGP is on there in October), Yarra Valley, Gipsland/Latrobe Valley. The Great Ocean Rd. NE Vic has some great wine areas. Vic is small so all of these places can be accessed just a couple of hours drive from Melb..

In NSW, there are plenty of great old country towns and cities. You already have a Bathurst visit planned. A visit to Canberra to look at the National War Museum while you are based in NSW would be worth a look. The beaches and coastal areas in Nth and Sth NSW are pretty and worth a look. My favorite would be Port Macquarie, but there are some real gems south of Sydney too.

Depending on the time, I would also try to get to QLD to see the Great Barrier Reef. Fly to Cairns, Townsville or even Airlie Beach for a day or two and get on a reef charter. Also worth a look is Brisbane the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast hinterlands.

If you still have time in your itinerary, base yourself in Adelaide for a few days too. From there you can explore the Adelaide Hills area which has plenty on offer.

As I said, just my 0.02c but I cant see any reason to fly half way around the world to experience cities just like the ones you have in the US and then miss what is different or unique about the two countries.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 10-06-2012 at 11:05 AM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #81
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I had to fly in and out somewhere!

I've got a month to explore.

I've been reading a book on the history of Australia, and I have a Frommer's tourist guide book. I definitely want to see some of the countryside and possibly some of the Outback. I'd love to see Uluru but I doubt I'll be able to go that far. West Australia is probably out of the question, also.

But the plan is to see as much as I can, and possibly drive some significant distances (but everything I've read so far about driving long distances in Australia is fairly discouraging).
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #82
bob^
LPS

The problem with driving the great distances here is that there is not much to look at in between the destinations. Just yellow fields with the odd tree here and there.
Even the drive from Melbourne to Geelong which is only 45 minutes is the same.
Going south from Geelong though, down the Great Ocean Road, is a different story though. Beautiful coast line for hundreds of KM.
My wife and I are planning a trip to the east coast of USA. I will have to hit you up for some advice for when we make it to Florida!
Feel free to PM me about locations to see if you do decide to come to Geelong, and then travel down the coast line.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #83
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Yes, I have plans for the Great Ocean Road.

When do you plan to visit Florida?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When you are in Melbourne you might want to hit up little Italy in Lygon street for some good food.

If you want to go from Melbourne to check out Bendigo, forget the Calder highway and go through the Macedon Ranges, you'll pass through some small towns, go through Heathcote which has quite the nice bakery there, then onto Bendigo.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-06-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #85
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

watch bathurst at mc phillamy park its the top of the mountain next to the castrol tower you can see most of the track and there is a big screen.dont forget the race museam and if you like history just out of bathurst there is the zig zag railway which is worth a look and do ride on the train any aussie beer is better than bud
Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #86
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Yes, I have plans for the Great Ocean Road.

When do you plan to visit Florida?
Glad to hear that you are. I have one spot in mind down there which is a little off the main road, so doesn't get visited often. It is a beautiful cove but the name escapes me at the moment.

Planning to visit Florida around this time next year.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #87
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry but the great ocean road is the biggest tourist trap in the Victoria IMO. Doesn't even rank in my top 10 places to see in Victoria let alone Australia. The Great Alpine Road in Victoria is better that the GOR for both driving and scenery. See below pics I've taken from trips over the last couple of months

Flinders Ranges, SA. I couldn't recommend this more. I'll be going back soon. Only half the distance of Ayres Rock too.

Cairns, QLD. Very touristy but LOTS of fun.

Cradle Mountain, Tasmania. Only a short flight from Melbourne. I just got back from a lap of Tassie which too 4 days. So much to do in Tassie and great driving roads. I'll be going back in a couple of months this time armed with a Porsche. :-)
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #88
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
watch bathurst at mc phillamy park its the top of the mountain next to the castrol tower you can see most of the track and there is a big screen.dont forget the race museam and if you like history just out of bathurst there is the zig zag railway which is worth a look and do ride on the train any aussie beer is better than bud
Steam Hauled Train services have been cancelled until further notice due to the maintenance program, per the website, they only operate the Rail Motor Service. http://www.zigzagrailway.com.au/timetable.php
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #89
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Glad to see you have booked and ready to come over.

I leave on a road trip in a few weeks with a friend from Germany that wanted the outback experience as well as a few other things so we are driving from home, cross country through Victoria, South Australia to Port Augusta, up to Alice Springs to Ayers Rock. Few days there then back down to Adelaide, see wineries, Hahndorf etc, then down to the Great Ocean Road and cruising back to Melbourne to return home to Kilmore.

Best trip to see plenty in a few weeks. This is taking us 2 weeks and we have another week to see everything in Melbourne once finished the road trip.

If you have a month, it would be easy to do Bathurst, Alice Springs/Ayers Rock and Great Ocean Rd with all the other landmarks you mentioned along the way.

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #90
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
The problem with driving the great distances here is that there is not much to look at in between the destinations. Just yellow fields with the odd tree here and there.

sorry bob , but i have to disagree.i love long drives. there are so many great views out there waiting to be seen. especially if you take the time to get off the main highways a bit.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post