Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #61
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Re: Mondeo vs Sportswagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Interestingly in the new Australia's Best Car magazine which is put together by all the motoring groups ranks the Mondeo 13th out 16 in the Best Medium Car Under $50,000 category.
That tells you how good the commodore is.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #62
Chopped
as in chopped

So all of the pro-Mondeo guys will have no problem when the far better Taurus replaces the Falcon ? !!

After reading all of these reviews, looks like our Aussie stuff just doesn't cut it anymore compared to world cars.

Why do we bother with this Aussie junk !!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #63
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your being funny right?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #64
Chopped
as in chopped

^ yes

Everyone is quick to write off the Commy cause it's from the darkside but I bet the tears will flow when the same outcome happens with the Taurus / Falcon match-up. (Which it will)
Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
^ yes

Everyone is quick to write off the Commy cause it's from the darkside but I bet the tears will flow when the same outcome happens with the Taurus / Falcon match-up. (Which it will)
So what you are really saying is that you are very upset that not only is there not a falcon wagon but the Ford Mondeo wagon has been judged better than other products that are just another marques version of similar configuration to what a falcon wagon may have been.

Would you rather the Mondeo had lost?

Earlier you have stated that you believe wagons are becoming more popular as you are seeing more Mondeos.

Did it ever occur to you that the Mondeo rather than the Falcon is the sort of wagon more people actually want?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #66
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mondeo is an awesome wagon and I would direct buyers - in fact anyone to it over the Falcon wagon. The Mondeo is miles ahead of the Falcon Wagon in every aspect even if the Falcon wagon was available.

The Sportwagon is a good looking Wagon yes but the rear end of it is way too small. Its for those who want a bigger boot but don't want a sedan or an SUV but still want a large car. Mondeo comes across as a medium car so people think it has less space which is completely wrong.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #67
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Ford has a winning combination and people still arn't happy. What must ford do to please the masses.

I'm happy with my Mondeo. 3 years of ownership, it's had one warranty claim. A leaking seal. A reliable car. FWD, was never a consideration. Value for money and reliability is what counts.

Congrats to ford and Mondeo. I am sure the real ford fans appreciate the significance of the win.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #68
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Did it ever occur to you that the Mondeo rather than the Falcon is the sort of wagon more people actually want?
It has and it sort of annoys me. (I'm just having a whinge Flappist. )

I know it's a bit stupid to get emotional about the Aussie cars (which are US owned anyway!!) but I can't help it !
Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #69
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Mondeo is definantly better then a commodore, but its also better then a falcon.

Go figure.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #70
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what you are really saying is that you are very upset that not only is there not a falcon wagon but the Ford Mondeo wagon has been judged better than other products that are just another marques version of similar configuration to what a falcon wagon may have been.

Would you rather the Mondeo had lost?

Earlier you have stated that you believe wagons are becoming more popular as you are seeing more Mondeos.

Falcon wagon outsold Mondeo wagon every month, actually Falcon wagon outsold entire Mondeo range when it was around. They kept making Falcon wagon after 2004 because the bloody thing kept selling, in the end emissions laws were the cause of death of the 11 year old car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Falcon wagon outsold Mondeo wagon every month, actually Falcon wagon outsold entire Mondeo range when it was around. They kept making Falcon wagon after 2004 because the bloody thing kept selling, in the end emissions laws were the cause of death of the 11 year old car.
Falcon is on bread and water, there's not much money to do anything these days,
doing a wagon would have robbed funds from desperately needed EcoLPI and FG II updates.
FoA would love to have the cash to do more things but sadly, the business case is not there.

Just be glad we still have such a wonderful car now and enjoy what is available now.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #72
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Yes I can see how emission laws prevented the I6 being used in any new models after the BF3, FGs don't have an I6 option any more do they?. Obviously the ecoLpi would not have worked either.

I wonder if the lack of profit on the sales of the falcon wagon as it was almost completely fleet based was more of a reason not to spend money developing a new model.

I remember a time when Fairlane and LTD were HUGE sellers and before that Falcon Panelvan was a winner.

Falcon wagon died because it was not profitable.....no other reason as will any other model that fails to make money.

There in no room for emotion in a balance sheet.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Truth to tell, Ford probably kept the Falcon station wagon around way longer than they should have
but instead of thanks, they are now seen as the biggest B's for not doing a replacement..

I guess you could insert XR8, Fairlane in the above equation too, head office is
very hard headed these days and putting out "hail Mary" cars just doesn't fly well.

As much as we thing FoA = Falcon motor company, they still answer to Ford Dearborn
and all proposals must be accompanied by a valid business plan approved by them
because the new product development is financed by Ford in the US...
Old 03-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #74
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Interestingly in the new Australia's Best Car magazine which is put together by all the motoring groups ranks the Mondeo 13th out 16 in the Best Medium Car Under $50,000 category.
Wheels magazine rates the Mondeo as the equal best with Honda Accord Euro. So, there you go.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #75
1TUFFUTE
Banned

and obviously this comparo is for WAGONS...and the other car of the year comparo or whatever comparo was being refered to, where it came 13th..has a much diff ranking criteria. Obviously a family oriented rear space orientated car isnt going to win top gong is it
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #76
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
and obviously this comparo is for WAGONS...and the other car of the year comparo or whatever comparo was being refered to, where it came 13th..has a much diff ranking criteria. Obviously a family oriented rear space orientated car isnt going to win top gong is it

That must be why the Hyundai i40 Tourer came in 4th.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #77
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
That must be why the Hyundai i40 Tourer came in 4th.
yeah well maybe if the quoted article was with an i40 and a mondeo we would have seen that
did they mention whatwas so good about it??
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #78
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
yeah well maybe if the quoted article was with an i40 and a mondeo we would have seen that
did they mention whatwas so good about it??

The i40 just scored highly across the board for price, performance, build quality, running costs, warranty, ride/handling, space, practicality.

VW took out 5 categories, 6 if you want to get picky and include Audi/VW

But having said that reviews are all relative, i've read glowing reviews on vehicles from some publications and another will **** can it.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #79
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Mondeo is definantly better then a commodore, but its also better then a falcon.

Go figure.
that`s a matter of opinion .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #80
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
that`s a matter of opinion .
Well, the fit/finish seems to be better...more features etc...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I wouldn't try convincing anyone here either way, I recon that it's always better to drive the products yourself'
so you can speak with authority about what you like and don't like.

Ford's FWDs are pretty good but my leanings are still to Falcon and Territory but a good AWD is always welcome...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #82
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yes I can see how emission laws prevented the I6 being used in any new models after the BF3, FGs don't have an I6 option any more do they?. Obviously the ecoLpi would not have worked either.
Because it would not have cost a cent to put the updated drivelines and LPi engine in the Falcon wagon along with the 6 speed auto it had never used before.

Never heard of R&D, emissions compliance and validation?

I think the cost estimates to update wagon to Euro 4 were significant, and with sales being around 400 a month it just wasn't viable.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #83
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
So all of the pro-Mondeo guys will have no problem when the far better Taurus replaces the Falcon ? !!
It won't, Taurus was rejected.

And the only area the Taurus is better than the Falcon is in tech. Its bigger and much heavier, with less room inside.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #84
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I think the cost estimates to update wagon to Euro 4 were significant, and with sales being around 400 a month it just wasn't viable.
Go back a step, global vehicles have to be assessed and either accepted or rejected before the business case
for a local alternative can be tendered, I'd say Mondeo S/W and FG S/W were line ball with the Falcon having no
perceived economic advantage for Ford, the time and effort wasn't worth the doubtful return..
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #85
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didnt see the towing capacity in that article , so I can load up the wagon throw in the missus and three kids hook up the van and take off on holidays for three weeks
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #86
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds
Didnt see the towing capacity in that article , so I can load up the wagon throw in the missus and three kids hook up the van and take off on holidays for three weeks
Because Aussies still like to tow three tonne horse floats, car trailers and 23' caravans behind a station wagon.
There are other better vehicles to do that, like a Territory RWD for $39,990 drive away...

Obviously, a four cylinder FWD diesel station wagon fails the "load me up with everything and tow a van too"
but that doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle, just not the one for you even though it can tow 1200 Kg...

Still 5.5 l/100km on the highway is pretty good...

Last edited by jpd80; 04-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #87
jixel 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
The Sportswagon is comprehensively outclassed by the Skoda Superb - far better build quality, Australian-built reliability is dodgy and the Skoda has huge front to rear space. It's diesel is more economical than the Holden, more torque and cheaper. Mondeo is a closer rival but doesn't match the Skoda's quality or huge seat space. Holden is slightly wider (if you need that). I think the Euros have it overall, the Holden is simply irrelevant since it (and now Ford) dropped a proper large station wagon and the Sportswagon can't match the other two. I can hardly think of a more pointless car. If they can't do it properly they shouldn't do it.
I can think of a more pointless car, and theyre made in Geelong. Any FPV ute. But seriously, the Mondeos have had a shocking handicap in Australia with the awful early HA/HC versions that just fell to bits on our roads.The current versions of the Mondeo are great to drive especially the diesel.Its just that nobodys driven one yet.Once the billy cart mechanics that look after the beloved BF3 wagons in the Taxi industry jump in the deep end and train up a bit they might have a chance to get a few more out there.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #88
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

I tend to think Ford dug the Wagons grave by not updateing its look's enough from the AU to BA...then the Au rear was hardly differnet from the EL...that was no different from the EA....

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeo Wagon is Ford's choice, there's no FG Station wagon planned,
so I think we should keep on point and talk about Mondeo and Sportwagon

Last edited by jpd80; 04-12-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #90
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing the wagon battle hot up again, I think a Camry and Aurion wagon would sell gangbusters, but it will never happen while Americans dont buy wagons.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post