Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #61
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I was more of a flight-sim man; before C&C I spent all my time playing A-10 Tank Killer, LHX Attack Chopper, JetFighter 2, and my favourite: Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (still the best flight game ever).
Anyone remember the Apple IIc? My cousins had one when we were kids in the early '80s - we'd play Captain Goodnight and Wings Of Fury for hours. Wings of Fury is my second-favourite flight game.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Road Rash was on many of the consoles. The best version was the original format on PSX and PC. I finished it on PC...great fun.

I also have Road Rash 3 on Sega Mega Drive.
I used to have Road Rash 64 on N64 until I traded it in about 6 years ago (stupid me) and all my games. I have Road Rash 3D and Road Rash on PSX.

I still reckon the best version of the 64 one though.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #63
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've got RR 1-3 megadrive games running on a megadrive emulator (ie running it on pc).
Old 07-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #64
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
I was more of a flight-sim man; before C&C I spent all my time playing A-10 Tank Killer, LHX Attack Chopper, JetFighter 2, and my favourite: Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (still the best flight game ever).
Anyone remember the Apple IIc? My cousins had one when we were kids in the early '80s - we'd play Captain Goodnight and Wings Of Fury for hours. Wings of Fury is my second-favourite flight game.
I used to play with Flight Sim: A century of flight, all the time!
Used to love the alaskan tour guide scenarios.

My fav thing to do was to crank the weather up to huge storms, VFR, set various things to malfunction in the plane during the course of the flight. And it had to be in a tiny cessna or something.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #65
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i've got RR 1-3 megadrive games running on a megadrive emulator (ie running it on pc).
I have a lot of things on emulator, but nothing beats playing the real thing...

A couple of years ago I had a 486 SX-25 in this room which I played all the old games on...genuinely running with no DosBox required...

Then my brother for some reason got rid of it...WHY?!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #66
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Just wondering if we have any people here who used to play strategy games on PC/Console?

I'm interested in getting a few people together for a couple of games if possible, particulary the original "Red Alert" on PC (its free these days).

If you do play, want to play or want to learn if you could post here it would be sweet, thanks. Its good for killing some spare time.
FREE!! Damn, I paid big money back then. I still have the original ...and most of the follow ons in the series.

I think the last one I bought was C&C Generals Zero hour.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #67
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
I was playing Dune II when I was 9/10. In fact, I used to stay away from school (Grade 3 - 1993 - was 10 that year) just to play Dune II
lol... I thought I was the only one that did that! Dune II stared me on RTS games as well - unfortunately I have not found a game that is as inviting to play as dune II. The ONLY thing it misses though is group selection!
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
lol... I thought I was the only one that did that! Dune II stared me on RTS games as well - unfortunately I have not found a game that is as inviting to play as dune II. The ONLY thing it misses though is group selection!
If you're up for modern RTS, try Company of Heroes, the original, not the expansions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w7Wv-0_cII

Gameplay starts at 2:52.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #69
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
Dune II though is about being selective and having a strategy. Once you work out how to defeat the enemy, it's easy as pie...

Let's just say that the back door is always unlocked.

So really, having a group selection thing is not all that important.

Moving out!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #70
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

so who since this thread has started playing again. im tempted to reinstall C&C but i know i really shouldnt :

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepSpec
so who since this thread has started playing again. im tempted to reinstall C&C but i know i really shouldnt :
Yeah, I play Red Alert
Old 09-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #72
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm playing battle for middle earth 2 rts atm. its' the first rts i've played for some time.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #73
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I have started with Red Alert again, last night it would not let me connect to the multiplayer part. I played a game in the afternoon and it connected and ran fine, but ever since last night it says "Connection to Westwood timed out" is that just a server problem or my problem? It worked fine before!?
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
I have started with Red Alert again, last night it would not let me connect to the multiplayer part. I played a game in the afternoon and it connected and ran fine, but ever since last night it says "Connection to Westwood timed out" is that just a server problem or my problem? It worked fine before!?
The XWIS servers are down for RA1 and lots of people are having the same issue like me, when Westwood got bought out by EA Games, they killed off their older game servers and the RA Community took over, but just recently there has been some issues and we're trying to fix it, I'm not sure if the guy who hosts the server actually knows about it, a few of us have posted on his forum but we're not sure if he knows or doesn't give a rats ***.

It works for RA2, so I assume its something with RA1 at the moment.

In the meantime, we use a program called "Tunngle" and join the red alert network inside the program, then jump into the LAN lobby.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #75
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

played a few games of tiberain sun in skirimsh. really should be using my free time better... i think ill play generals now lol

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #76
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The XWIS servers are down for RA1 and lots of people are having the same issue like me, when Westwood got bought out by EA Games, they killed off their older game servers and the RA Community took over, but just recently there has been some issues and we're trying to fix it, I'm not sure if the guy who hosts the server actually knows about it, a few of us have posted on his forum but we're not sure if he knows or doesn't give a rats ***.

It works for RA2, so I assume its something with RA1 at the moment.

In the meantime, we use a program called "Tunngle" and join the red alert network inside the program, then jump into the LAN lobby.
Cheers mate that worked a treat, shame not many people play it..
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Cheers mate that worked a treat, shame not many people play it..
No problems, if more people here download it we could get a community happening
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #78
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I installed RA yesterday according to the instructions, but it doesn't work for me. The intro screen comes up then freezes. I've adjusted all the settings than can be adjusted, RAM is good, plenty of disc space, but still no go. What am I doing wrong?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 12-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #79
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did the same, had the same issue, run dxdiag and turn off sound acceleration of all things...
has been working fine since, only thing bugging me is the unability to que units!

other thing was to run as administrator ( in the compat settings somewhere )
i changed both at the same time, but i think its the sound change that made the difference.
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
I installed RA yesterday according to the instructions, but it doesn't work for me. The intro screen comes up then freezes. I've adjusted all the settings than can be adjusted, RAM is good, plenty of disc space, but still no go. What am I doing wrong?
Make sure its in compatability mode for Windows 95/98, forced 640x480 and in 256 colours.
Old 14-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #81
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow lots of great games and memories here. Always been a big fan of RTS, played a lot of Age Of Empires, KKND (2 mainly), Total Annihilation, Starcraft, Dark Reign, Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Warhammer: Dark Omen, Close Combat etc...

I actually got a new laptop recently and started playing RTS's again, one that I have found to be quite possibly the best i've ever played; Age Of Mythology. Absolutely awesome and quite possibly the greatest singleplayer campaign in the history of RTS.

Did anybody ever play turn-based strategy games? I used to sink so many hours into X-Com: Terror From The Deep, just a crazy amount of depth and strategy. Recently downloaded it off Steam for $5, what a bargain!
Old 14-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #82
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I haven't tried running RA with the new settings yet; whilst sorting through some old discs I found my copy of the old "Carnivores" hunting sim (instead of deer, you hunt dinosaurs). Naturally I re-installed it and have been playing almost non-stop with my daughter watching.

Another game that used to consume all my free time was Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, downloadable from [www.battlefront.com]. It's a hybrid turn-based/real-time WW2 game.

Old 16-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #83
XRGREIGHT

Can`t go past Company of Heroes IMO. Have been addicted to this bloody game for the past year and a half.
If you can get past the steep learning curve it`s really the best rts i`ve ever played, and i`ve played a lot.
If you`re gunna get it buy the gold edition which includes the Opposing Fronts expansion and i`ll see you online.
XRGREIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRGREIGHT
Can`t go past Company of Heroes IMO. Have been addicted to this bloody game for the past year and a half.
If you can get past the steep learning curve it`s really the best rts i`ve ever played, and i`ve played a lot.
If you`re gunna get it buy the gold edition which includes the Opposing Fronts expansion and i`ll see you online.
Me and my mates play CoH, we play version 1.71 though of the original.
Old 20-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #85
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I managed to get RA+ running and have been playing it constantly for the last several days.
I'm a bit puzzled though - aren't Engineers supposed to be able to take over an enemy building? When I try it the building just gets damaged and the Engineer disappears.

Old 20-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #86
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Playing GTA: Episodes of Liberty City atm. $30 off Steam.
Contains two 'episodes'.
One if 'Lost and the Damned', where you are a major member in a bikie gang.

The other is 'The Ballad of Gay Tony', which I am yet to play.

I prefer Niko's story way, way more (my family are European, so I sort of liked the profile), but so far, Lost and the Damned has filled in some gaps in the story a bit, and you do cross paths with Niko a couple of times...and Roman too!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 20-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #87
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fled 74, make sure the health on the building is red, or the arrows to enter are green
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #88
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351@GT
fled 74, make sure the health on the building is red, or the arrows to enter are green
Thanks for that; it's been years since I played it and I needed a refresher.

Old 22-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #89
Dezza
Parts bin special

I just got The Command & Conquer Saga for $25 from EB Games in a sale they've got on (usually $99 so a massive bargain). Has all of them from the first decade and C&C 3. Win!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Playing GTA: Episodes of Liberty City atm. $30 off Steam.
Contains two 'episodes'.
One if 'Lost and the Damned', where you are a major member in a bikie gang.

The other is 'The Ballad of Gay Tony', which I am yet to play.

I prefer Niko's story way, way more (my family are European, so I sort of liked the profile), but so far, Lost and the Damned has filled in some gaps in the story a bit, and you do cross paths with Niko a couple of times...and Roman too!
His story sounds like my electrical teachers one haha, serbian/croation who fought in the 90s war, went to America looking to make a new life (but without the crime). Except he came to Australia afterwards.