Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2006, 02:59 AM   #61
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Just put the AWD into the Typhoon and shed some weight...
Interesting. AWD means weight. How would you expect them to go about adding AWD and shedding weight? Replacing the body panels with paper perhaps?

Typhoon doesn't need AWD to ruin it. Everyone saw what an excellent machine the Coupe4 was.... not.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #62
davester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
ah what a load of crap. proof or we will not believe it...period
getting sick of the "me mates brothers best friend who works at ford" threads..... if you dont know something, dont make up random crap and say it came from ford.....
Read my post again...Fraser Island...know where that is...or what its known for?
davester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 03:41 AM   #63
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Well when you think about it the typhoon isn't exactly a rocket but it's be hard to believe a territory could outrun it. Wouldn't mind seeing it though
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 03:43 AM   #64
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 speed auto might make the difference , when i was a youngin i went to the first truck drags , they had an american truck called super boss, doing burnouts, whizzing down the strip etc, one of our locals in another kenworth (prime mover) which was equipped with a 15 speed auto whipped his ***, doing the qaurter in 14 seconds, but the super boss was not far behind, gearing can make a big difference, over a distance it would get whipped i think.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #65
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
the terri has one thing the phoon dosent.. TRACTION, i put money down the territory is atleast first to the half track marker lol..
I was lucky enough to drive a BF F6 for 3 days this week in 6spd ZF form, and it has plenty of traction. In actual fact, from a standing start to flaten' it, the wheels dont spin.

Having said that, I ended up buying a manual, and drove one around the block before signing, and that's a much different story. My last couple cars have been auto, GT-P and TE50, so I am saying I've lost my touch, but launching a manual was very hard. Twice I fried the tyres, and the other bogging it down. But once I pick it up, shouldn't take long to master
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #66
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Interesting. AWD means weight. How would you expect them to go about adding AWD and shedding weight? Replacing the body panels with paper perhaps?

Typhoon doesn't need AWD to ruin it. Everyone saw what an excellent machine the Coupe4 was.... not.
Yay I agree with Steffo! AWD is boooring! :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #67
Dilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSGTP
I dont think a X5 (4.4, 4.6 or 4.8), ML55 or even a Porche AWD covers a quarter in sub 14.
I am pretty sure the Cayenne Turbo does it in mid 13's.
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #68
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky
Well when you think about it the typhoon isn't exactly a rocket but it's be hard to believe a territory could outrun it. Wouldn't mind seeing it though
I have seen 6spd auto Typhoons run low 13's stock. I just don't see a 245kw 4WD bohemeth beating this. If it can (which I doubt) then it must all come down to gearing. Therefore the solution would not to make the Territory slower but to add the same gearing to the XR6T and Typhoon to make them even better again.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #69
Nappa
Impressive...

i find that hard to believe. All the laws of physics point the other way.

On another note, in vic i beleive the power to weight ratio for P plate restrictions is no more the 125kw per ton, luckily the Tezza Turbo will have only 121kw per ton, so hopefully p platers (with lots of money) can drive them.
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #70
LUXO_8
windsor user

but P platers arent allowed in a V8 or Turbocharged/Supercharged vehicle.......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #71
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Until I see a run with my own eyes, don't believe it.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #72
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:

Surely a lad with your intellect knows about other light-weight materials? But then again......

And who gives a stuff if some of you don't like AWD? There's plenty of people who swear by it.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #73
Nappa
Impressive...

i know that NSW has strict laws against anything with a turbo, but here its different i checked out the vicroads website and they say nothing about turbos or superchargers. and on the list of restricted vehicles there are plenty of cars that arnt on their that have turbo's ie WRX, the Sti is on the list but not the base model.
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #74
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Anyone know the torque to go with the 245 of the Terri?
Turbocharged Ford Territory
Quote:
.........the Territory’s regular 190kW of power has jumped 29 per cent to 245kW. Torque from the Turbo is 480Nm
I think I read something about the Terri Turbo having a different tune to the Falcon Turbo; torque lower in the rev range to move the weight (but not 100% on that).
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #75
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilan
I am pretty sure the Cayenne Turbo does it in mid 13's.
The Cayenne Turbo S does a low to mid 13 but it has 720nm :
Old 11-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #76
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im going to wade into this one and also say that I find it hard to believe that it will beat an F6 over the quarter.

Something else I find farcical - is how this 'story' comes about.

What did Ford do all their development, etc, etc to get the Turbo Terroritory happening - THEN after all that, they go and release it, etc, etc - they decide to run it over the quarter????

So then it is a "oh sh*t - this thing beats the F6 - cant have that".

Surely. SURELY this is discovered much earlier in the process.

But anyway it aint true.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #77
madmatty
dipstick

Bull$#@t.
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #78
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
As for a 245kW Territory being faster then a Typhoon. A rumour is all that it can be. Change the 245 to 445kW and I'd believe it.
THe NIZPRO Terri has 450kw and does high 11's

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #79
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
but P platers arent allowed in a V8 or Turbocharged/Supercharged vehicle.......
We are in Vic.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #80
Sprint347
Tickford

i'd be suprised if it "whipped it's butt" but i wouldn't be suprised if it was in fact quicker... we know what a change of diff gears and traction does to 1/4 mile times ;)
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #81
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Surely a lad with your intellect knows about other light-weight materials? But then again......

And who gives a stuff if some of you don't like AWD? There's plenty of people who swear by it.
Yes, and a lad with my intellect knows that an FPV F6 Typhoon is a Ford Falcon. It's not a BMW 5-Series or Audi A6 or Mercedes-Benz E-Class. So you can forget them using any expensive, exotic, light weight materials.

A Typhoon with AWD would turn out the same as a Coupe4, except since the starting car is heavier, the result would be heavier. 2000kg. That would seriously dull it's performance.

It's a $59k car, you really think they would put any expensive, light weight materials that they don't have the tooling to use? That's alot of $ for new tools, R&D, etc. Would seriously inflate the cost of the car. And there's a limit to how effective they would be too. I'd bet that they wouldn't be able to get the weight back down to be equal with the RWD model.

Nothing good would come of an AWD FPV. It would be expensive, extremley heavy, and slower then an XT V8 230kW because of that weight. Probably take a big shot to the handling too. Did I mention it would be expensive?

The HSV Coupe4... 270kW 475Nm, 1802kg (the RWD coupes are 1670kg), slower then a Monaro CV8 with 245kW 465Nm and RWD at everything.. for the nice price of $89,950 in VZ form should be a lesson to us all.

Just one more thing... I know it wouldn't be the exact same amount of weight gain but... 1670 to 1802kg is a 132kg gain. An automatic Typhoon is 1805kg... add 132kg to that and you've got 1937kg. :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #82
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
OK Guys, Don't flam me for this, because I know some of you my get a bit off side about the rumor I was told.....I AM NOT GOING TO NAME, NAMES as to who told me.

The story goes the T6 Terri has 245kw (we all know that) and has AWD. The test that Ford have done ended with a result that wipped the F6's butt down the 1/4. It has now got Ford in a spin in what they should do, as to wether or not to detune it some how.......

If it's faster than a stock Phoon down the 1/4 mile so be it.......It's a ford not a holden so thats a bonus. Now a Turbo Territory flogging a R8 at the lights with mum driving on her way home with the shopping in the back would be f#*kin funny.

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #83
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Well, I think the T/Territory vs. Typhoon thing has been stoned to death already, after only a day or two. Just some general points though;

*) AWD is overrated, and often the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. In the Territory's case, at 2,000kg+, traction is the least of your worries. Even an ultra-heavy flywheel won't help you after the first few 10/20m. Besides, after traction exceeds power, AWD is more of a handicap.
*) Hello, it's an SUV/`recreational vehicle'. Put in on the track and see how fast it goes (around corners in particular).

The Territory is a really nice vehicle, it just isn't a performance vehicle.
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #84
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
Now a Turbo Territory flogging a R8 at the lights with mum driving on her way home with the shopping in the back would be f#*kin funny.
Yeah that would be good to see :evil_laug
Old 11-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #85
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Just doesn't sound right. Was speaking to the head of suspension Product Engineering FoMoCo, can't recall his name, nice bloke, and he was tryng to sell me on the turbo territory, after I told him I drive a T. He said the suspension is better on that than my T........
Old 11-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #86
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Yes, and a lad with my intellect knows that an FPV F6 Typhoon is a Ford Falcon. It's not a BMW 5-Series or Audi A6 or Mercedes-Benz E-Class. So you can forget them using any expensive, exotic, light weight materials.

A Typhoon with AWD would turn out the same as a Coupe4, except since the starting car is heavier, the result would be heavier. 2000kg. That would seriously dull it's performance.

It's a $59k car, you really think they would put any expensive, light weight materials that they don't have the tooling to use? That's alot of $ for new tools, R&D, etc. Would seriously inflate the cost of the car. And there's a limit to how effective they would be too. I'd bet that they wouldn't be able to get the weight back down to be equal with the RWD model.

Nothing good would come of an AWD FPV. It would be expensive, extremley heavy, and slower then an XT V8 230kW because of that weight. Probably take a big shot to the handling too. Did I mention it would be expensive?

The HSV Coupe4... 270kW 475Nm, 1802kg (the RWD coupes are 1670kg), slower then a Monaro CV8 with 245kW 465Nm and RWD at everything.. for the nice price of $89,950 in VZ form should be a lesson to us all.

Just one more thing... I know it wouldn't be the exact same amount of weight gain but... 1670 to 1802kg is a 132kg gain. An automatic Typhoon is 1805kg... add 132kg to that and you've got 1937kg. :

You really need a life. I never said it was feasible, I never said it would be this and that. Hypothetically (like my initial post was), an AWD Typhoon weighing in at 1700kgs with 300 odd kws would be nothing to sneeze at.

By the way, where are you getting all these figures?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #87
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
Well, I think the T/Territory vs. Typhoon thing has been stoned to death already, after only a day or two. Just some general points though;

*) AWD is overrated, and often the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. In the Territory's case, at 2,000kg+, traction is the least of your worries. Even an ultra-heavy flywheel won't help you after the first few 10/20m. Besides, after traction exceeds power, AWD is more of a handicap.
*) Hello, it's an SUV/`recreational vehicle'. Put in on the track and see how fast it goes (around corners in particular).

The Territory is a really nice vehicle, it just isn't a performance vehicle.
Agree...Way too overated

Ok for wet whether grip IMO but your silly if you make a habbit of that anyway.

WRXs would be heaps quicker if they had a good rear drive system on them like the great Porsche Turbos, The rear drives are quicker. Even if they werent youd pass them while they are stopped re fueling at the next sevice station. Its scary that N/A 3.0 litre subys use as much fuel as a 6 speed auto Turbo XR6.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #88
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This whole thread is conjecture and speculation but from a political view....

When the F6 was announced there was a media frenzy about "super car" and "dangerous"
Almost every week there is some hack whinging on about "urban assult vehicles" and "why are 4WDs allowed in built up areas" and "dangerous" and "kid killer".

Does anyone REALLY think Ford would release 4WD milfmobile that is quicker than "sports saloons"?

The first time one being driven by a 23 year old milf bubble goes splat it will be the end of the world as we know it......

Yes the top of the line Cayman goes that fast but it costs more than most houses....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #89
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Can i have some of the Drugs you FV*#ers are on?

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED
2008 MA XR5 Mondeo

2015 VOLVO V60 T6 R-DESIGN-POLESTAR Enhanced

Last edited by TIKFD6; 11-02-2006 at 11:53 PM.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #90
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

id almost like to line up a Xr6 NA manual up against a turbo terri It would be much closer and the 4wd Tractor might even win...... MIGHT...
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post