Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #61
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: what to buy for a second car?

For the love of god do not go the 120i. Take it coming from a BMW employee. The only 1-series worth owning is a 123d - reliable and quick. If I were you I'd look at a WRX hatch or get a Giulietta QV. The Alfa drives great.

If you want to be super sensible get a SP25 3 hatch.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #62
XR6_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
well its really a 5th car but anyway
my trusty 91 vitara is not loving life and i need a reliable car to get to work
I have an 05 Adventra (wifes car)
BA GT (weekend car)
HX Kingswood (Project car)
Vitara (will be parked up and stored)

so i'm after a boring FWD commuter car with 4 doors but i get bored easily
i have had a WT Fiesta and its was slow and boring (handles good though)
plus it needs to fit a baby seat and baby stuff, so light cars out of the question

so i have a budget of $8-$12k
and no more than 140,000km and no older than 2008
so short list is
CJ Lancer VR-X 2.4 Manual
Mazda 6 2.5 Manual
Focus 2.0 Manual

which one out of those would be the go? (not sure about the focus)
or any other cars in my range worth considering

plus i do freeway km's so i want something that goes ok so all the cars i have picked have 125kw or more

sorry this is not meant to be a Hulk thread
Just my 2c but you don't have to buy a "boring" car.

I work in the trade, and have heard/seen too many horror stories about BMW's that have some mileage on them.

You mention you need the car to be able to fit two baby seats in. Being a commuter car, it would need to be cheap to service etc. Why not buy say an FG1 NA XR6/G6 or something? Fuel economy is quite good with the 6 speed ZF, and they are reasonably cheap to buy, fun to drive with the RWD (NOT BORING!), have good performance and ARE reliable. There's only one thing better than one Falcon. and thats two of them

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
XR6_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #63
MNTL.XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
With the exception of the last paragraph about the AU Falcon, what a load of crap.

ebv8 great cars if underpowered. Never owned an M50 BMW but I believe they ran the plastic water pump impeller so may pay to pay some attention to the cooling system. My second car was an M20 powered manual E34. I bought it back in 2004. Had it for nine years and in that time it needed a radiator and ignition barrel, had a good run out of it and proves people like this bloke I quoted wrong as to reliability and parts prices. I've also had the facelifted 540i last of the E34s and that was in another league. Awesome cars and out the equalivent E series and VN-VS an insult to the BMW to compare the both!
You own one reliable Beemer so they're all good? Ok.
I worked for a Ford/Nissan franchise for 7 years, and Toyota/Mazda for a few years before that, almost every time a BMW was traded we would end up having to wholesale out of it because of the expense of the repairs. Am i wrong in saying the engines or gearboxs are expensive to replace? Am i wrong to say their resale value is extremely poor in comparison to a Falcon of the same year, or any other year? Am i wrong to say most BMWs aren't built for Australian conditions when their interiors are usually quite badly damaged by the harsh Aussie sun? Pick any '90's Beemer against a '90's Falcon or Commodore and look how badly the interior is.
Don't get me wrong, i love Beemers, quite honestly i think they are probably THE sexiest little car on the road, but value for money they have nothing on an AU or FG Falcon.

Click on the link below to view my build thread.
http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php...-xd-the-build/
MNTL.XD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #64
WPR1

What about a Focus XR5, great little car and fun!
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #65
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well some of you will be happy
my brother sold his beemer for double what i offered, which was the deal,
if he sold it before i looked at it that was ok by me so he has more money for his XE

so i'm looking for cars again and more so now after my GT was damaged

the GT got hit by hail last week so i took it to work for quotes and someone ran into the front of it, dented bonnet, scratched up bar and the bar is pushed back about 10mm, not major but about $1500 worth of damage and $3500 of hail damage.
this will cost me 2 insurance claims also.

XR5's look great but not many around so prices are all over the place, $12k to $25k

i did find a 2014 st-s turbo pulsar local with 40km, 1 yr warranty remaining for $12k but haven't had a chance to look at it yet, my mate has a sss and loves it, its just not as fast as 140kw suggests.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #66
290v
290v

Turbo Focus Manual
Old 02-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #67
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looked at a 2007 Focus CL
it was dead stock in Silver, looked ok and was cheap $3k
the owner wasn't around so just did an external vistual check, will go for a test drive this afternoon.
not sure if i can drive a car with hubcaps, might have to dish out on some mags
anyway just looking still
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 02-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #68
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Was eyeing an 545i e60 V8, those things are worth peanuts (falcon BA/BF money). Anyone had experience or horror stories with these? Figured they would be a good daily and runabout as an E60 is easily disposable and spares are abundant and there are many modification options. The Falcons aren't as disposable as they once were now that Ford is gone.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #69
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTL.XD View Post
Am i wrong to say most BMWs aren't built for Australian conditions when their interiors are usually quite badly damaged by the harsh Aussie sun? Pick any '90's Beemer against a '90's Falcon or Commodore and look how badly the interior is.
Don't get me wrong, i love Beemers, quite honestly i think they are probably THE sexiest little car on the road, but value for money they have nothing on an AU or FG Falcon.

/[/url]
Id say your wrong. a quick look on carsales comparing E39 5 series to an AU or EL of the same year, they are similarly priced
Value for money is clearly subjective here
From what I can see the interiors look in better nic on the beemers, or maybe they were better in the first place. being a much more expensive car new

As for Australian conditions I'm over hearing that. BMW sells their cars worldwide for worldwide conditions..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #70
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Was eyeing an 545i e60 V8, those things are worth peanuts (falcon BA/BF money). Anyone had experience or horror stories with these? Figured they would be a good daily and runabout as an E60 is easily disposable and spares are abundant and there are many modification options. The Falcons aren't as disposable as they once were now that Ford is gone.
As a comparison you'd probably cross shop with a BA XR8
once again subjective
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #71
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
As a comparison you'd probably cross shop with a BA XR8
once again subjective
Wouldn't feel the pinch if someone dinged the door of the Beemer or ran up the back of it. To me it would be no different to damaging a Camry, except the BMW is actually fun to drive. It would hurt in the Falcon knowing its a vehicle of historic significance.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #72
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Wouldn't feel the pinch if someone dinged the door of the Beemer or ran up the back of it. To me it would be no different to damaging a Camry, except the BMW is actually fun to drive. It would hurt in the Falcon knowing its a vehicle of historic significance.

In what way?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #73
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
looked at a 2007 Focus CL
it was dead stock in Silver, looked ok and was cheap $3k
the owner wasn't around so just did an external vistual check, will go for a test drive this afternoon.
not sure if i can drive a car with hubcaps, might have to dish out on some mags
anyway just looking still
Prepare to be underwhelmed, a really nothing car, looked at one for my son who really wanted a Focus but he was very disappointed, went down the road a bit further and he tested out an SP23 Mazda, and thats what we got and it was cheaper with less kays.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #74
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
In what way?
Knowing that nowhere in the world is the Falcon in production anymore, and likely to get a cheque from insurance rather than a fixed car or a replacement. With the BMW there is a entire globe to source spares and upgrades from.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #75
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Knowing that nowhere in the world is the Falcon in production anymore, and likely to get a cheque from insurance rather than a fixed car or a replacement. With the BMW there is a entire globe to source spares and upgrades from.
Hardly historical significance imo. Its a falcon, each to their own i guess.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #76
Swordie

Quote:
Id ring BMW place who specializes in servicing these cars for an opinion. I have been in 530 E60 as passanger, I found them small compared to Falcon and Commodore.

Searching Carsales you can pick up VE SS for similar money.

If you take E60 for test drive will be interesting to hear feedback.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #77
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Work mate is selling his Mazda 3 Sport Maxx .... cos he needs a larger family car.
Not a bad car really for a run around ... is auto though. I think it has about 60,000km on it.
Not sure what he wants for it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #78
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Id ring BMW place who specializes in servicing these cars for an opinion. I have been in 530 E60 as passanger, I found them small compared to Falcon and Commodore.

Searching Carsales you can pick up VE SS for similar money.

If you take E60 for test drive will be interesting to hear feedback.
I actually did take an 2005 E60 545i for a test drive and nearly bought it. The bloke was asking 10k cash. Initial impressions is the car handles well and is comparable to the FG Falcon. The engine note is quite attractive, and throttle response lively. Turn in and steering felt quite sharp and lively. The brakes though felt rather dull and lacked feedback, perhaps due to age of the car? Seats are comfortable, but somehow are a bit flat and lack bolstering (this car had the M5 seat option fitted). The dash controls and icc were overly complicated and a bit distracting. The boot was very large and spacious. Interior felt no smaller than an FG or BA, although FG and BA are admittedly claustrophobic. A VF Commodore feels much more spacious and so does a 2012 + Aurion/Camry. For the amount of money and the initial impression , it would make a decent daily or shopping trolley. Would much rather one of these than a VE/VF SS (super slow) Commodore or Ba/BF XR8.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #79
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You own one reliable Beemer so they're all good? Ok.
I worked for a Ford/Nissan franchise for 7 years, and Toyota/Mazda for a few years before that, almost every time a BMW was traded we would end up having to wholesale out of it because of the expense of the repairs. Am i wrong in saying the engines or gearboxs are expensive to replace? Am i wrong to say their resale value is extremely poor in comparison to a Falcon of the same year, or any other year? Am i wrong to say most BMWs aren't built for Australian conditions when their interiors are usually quite badly damaged by the harsh Aussie sun? Pick any '90's Beemer against a '90's Falcon or Commodore and look how badly the interior is.

All points valid. Can be extended to Landrover, Renault, Peugeot, Audi, etc in Australia. Ultimately, prices in the used and classic market don't lie. The bit about resale, they tend to depreciate to around the same dollar level as the Falcons of the same age, only one was much higher price new so suffers greater relative depreciation.

With that in mind, a vote here for Toyota as your commuter (sorry)
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #80
MNTL.XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
All points valid. Can be extended to Landrover, Renault, Peugeot, Audi, etc in Australia. Ultimately, prices in the used and classic market don't lie. The bit about resale, they tend to depreciate to around the same dollar level as the Falcons of the same age, only one was much higher price new so suffers greater relative depreciation.

With that in mind, a vote here for Toyota as your commuter (sorry)

Yes, BMW is definitely not the only make to suffer very poor resale, my GP was recently complaining to me about the resale on his Jaguar, he bought it second hand for about the same price as a new Falcon/Commodore and 8 years later has just had it valued at $13k. If i was less educated in the automotive industry i'd almost grab it myself, it's a beautiful car, pristine black duco and full leather interior, it has been very well cared for. VERY sexy but is not for me. One thing he did mention is it has dulled headlights, he was quoted $2.5k PER HEADLIGHT to have them replaced new. Which comes back to what i said earlier about the prices of replacement parts in comparison to non 'luxury' cars, same problem with BMW (new) parts, bloody expensive.

Last edited by MNTL.XD; 05-03-2017 at 10:40 AM.
MNTL.XD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #81
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, BMW is definitely not the only make to suffer very poor resale, my GP was recently complaining to me about the resale on his Jaguar, he bought it second hand for about the same price as a new Falcon/Commodore and 8 years later has just had it valued at $13k. If i was less educated in the automotive industry i'd almost grab it myself, it's a beautiful car, pristine black duco and full leather interior, it has been very well cared for. VERY sexy but is not for me. One thing he did mention is it has dulled headlights, he was quoted $2.5k PER HEADLIGHT to have them replaced new. Which comes back to what i said earlier about the prices of replacement parts in comparison to non 'luxury' cars, same problem with BMW (new) parts, bloody expensive.
All rehashed myths.
Anyone forking out six figures for a Euro won't be worried about depreciation. Anyone forking out for a new car must cop depreciation on the chin (exception may be Land Cruiser and LR Defender). As mentioned above re sale is relative ie a percentage of total cost after three or five years and last time I looked the Falcon was one of the lowest and I can only imagine it has become worse since the rise of the double cab ute and SUVs or the decline in demand for the traditional family sedan.
Parts for any car from a dealer will kill you no matter where it is from. A lot of parts (body panels etc) will be covered under insurance. I'm currently running a V12 S Class and parts prices are more expensive than a mainstream car but not a killer through independent suppliers such as pelican parts etc. so again you most likely have no experience in running/servicing/repairing a Euro and are parroting myths dating back to the 1980s.
Built for Aussie conditions what a crock. Go anywhere in the bush as you will only see Toyotas. You're aware foreign makers would sell more cars in regions with similar conditions (Middle East, Southern States US) in one month than what would be sold in one year in Oz.
Built for Oz- over 80% of the population lives within half an hour of the coast... does t stop Falcons and Territories from rusting out within five years.
Built for Oz- over 60% of Aussies are obese, doesn't stop Falcons **** weak seat bases collapsing within five years, like my FG did and I'm only 85kg!
Built for Oz - doesn't stop the transcooler rupturing and filling the trans with coolant, especially with all the (apparent) towing we do.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #82
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a look at a second 07 focus but it was crap, $4200 in black but no books, dirty oil, rust on boot hinge, bad paint, dull roof, vibrates on idle...went ok though. makes the silver one i looked at look like a new car
in manual form they seem to go really well, so far an LS/LT focus might be the one.
however i did search on the weekend for XR5 wheels and leather steering wheel which i told myself i won't do to the next car i'm just going to drive it
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #83
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want a focus with XR5 wheels, etc, why not get an XR5?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #84
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
If you want a focus with XR5 wheels, etc, why not get an XR5?
$12000 vs $3000
thats $9k i can keep

i won't get wheels i just like looking, a set just went for $150 on ebay though
XR5 parts are worth nothing, i can get recaro seats for $200 too
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 06-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #85
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But I bet it'd be more fun to drive.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #86
stace650

I've got an Alfa 147 JTD Monza as a runaround. Turbo diesel, great torque, fun to drive and gets 6.8 litres to the hundred. Lots of luxury too, full leather, sunroof, dual zone AC, 18 inch alloys, six speed manual...

I've had one issue, a buggered flywheel which was $590 to fly in from the U.K., including delivery. Overall though a great little car, looks the goods, pretty quick and a smile a mile.

'63 Mercury Meteor
Long and slow
stace650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #87
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i looked at a couple more Focus'
why do people lie? yesterday i looked at one with advertised full service history and it had no books....the history was that he said he serviced it on time.....it also had black oil and a crusty top end
every panel was dented and scratched too
anyway looking at another on sat, 2006 Zetec but i still like the 2007 CL with 230,000km on it, that was the best condition by far out of the ones i have looked at.
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 11-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #88
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well i bought a car.
2008 FG XT e-gas, 1 owner, 220km, full service history, little rought around the edges but ok for $2500. Drives so much better than any (pov pack) focus
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
5 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #89
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Well i bought a car.
2008 FG XT e-gas, 1 owner, 220km, full service history, little rought around the edges but ok for $2500. Drives so much better than any (pov pack) focus
2 and a half for a fg. Happy days. As long as it's only rough on the outsides but good mechanically 220k is only just run in. I'm pushing 180k on an 08 bf with only maintenance repairs like brakes, one genuine fail (snapped the tail shaft at 80k, to be fair I was giving it heaps and it was replaced under warrenty) and both front wheel bearings after 2 years of sitting on the driveway. Taxi logic would state, there is atleast 780k left in it....
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #90
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's just brakes and service done. Ill service the auto myself and put on new tyres and thats about it.
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar