Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #61
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Qld Government axe Classic Cars/Formals

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacc View Post
For the Limousine industry these cashies are hurting their business but goodluck finding a Charger, Valiant, Torana, Prem, Fairlanes or Galaxie to hire if you want something different
two points you bring up

1. is it a business? doing it as a once off or once a year is hardly a business
2. Is there such a thing as a classic car limo hire business? I think if there was one, it'd be a capital city only thing and very expensive.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #62
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
two points you bring up

1. is it a business? doing it as a once off or once a year is hardly a business
2. Is there such a thing as a classic car limo hire business? I think if there was one, it'd be a capital city only thing and very expensive.
Some nice pics here.....

http://www.gtlimo.com.au/gallery.html

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #63
monte.b

This so called crackdown goes on every year ,has for the last 10yrs anyway that i know of ,the transport was trying to get hot rod owners with L9 rego ,(thats club rego) to stop doing formals as it is not legal ,they are only allowed to drive to asrf events or to club meetings ect ,they cant use their cars as daily drivers and thats fair enough ,as far as the later model modified cars go i really dont know a lot about their rego system so i cant comment about them .I do recall the transport dept a few years ago went to all the high schools and warned the students about using correct rego cars and this was when labor was in power ,so its not political
Old 05-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #64
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw this thread.
Seems pretty obvious this has been brought about by limo owners lobbying Govt.
And the arguments against it here seem to be mainly presented by late model car owners.
You will all see differently when you're retired and embracing classics.
Trouble is, kids wouldn't be seen dead arriving at their formal in a limo.
They're teen-agers for gods sake ... they want to arrive in style and try to out do each other. That's what kids do. (And some of the older generation) LOL
Guys I know who do the occasional formal carry their passengers for free and get a gratuity for the photo shoot.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:23 AM   #65
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote View Post
So the smart operator asks for a small donation after the fact and does not advertise. Problem easily solved, no one paid for anything. or perhaps a better solution is not to live in Queensland, you are now crossing the border please turn your clock back to the 1950s....
Mate I would sincerely doubt that this issue is specific to Queensland.

How do you reckon I'd go if I went for a bit of a cruise to Sydney or Melbourne in my classic car and then decided to do a bit of touting for paid joyrides while I was there, just to make a 'bit of fuel money' for the trip home?

C'mon! Perhaps some basic research into your own relevant transport legislation might be wise prior to slagging off others as being backward.

Russ
(the dumb banana bender)
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #66
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sour grapes from Limo companies, besides i haven't spent $60k on my car to do a couple of formals a year for the money, it's an ego trip for me with all the attention my car gets. And what's with this "..if you have an accident...." thing? Just because it is old car it's not necessarily going to be involved in an accident! I'm confident drivers of these kinds of cars are more careful whilst driving people to these sorts of events and drive defensively on the look out for taxi drivers.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #67
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda View Post
Sour grapes from Limo companies, besides i haven't spent $60k on my car to do a couple of formals a year for the money, it's an ego trip for me with all the attention my car gets. And what's with this "..if you have an accident...." thing? Just because it is old car it's not necessarily going to be involved in an accident! I'm confident drivers of these kinds of cars are more careful whilst driving people to these sorts of events and drive defensively on the look out for taxi drivers.
thanks for the assurances but realistically very few people say 'I'm going out driving, won't pay attention and there's a fair chance i'll have an accident'

truth is nobody is exempt from the possibility of a crash regardless of how much care they take and that's what the other poster was talking about

for a wedding add in alcohol, excitement and nerves as factors because passengers can contribute to risk
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #68
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda View Post
Mate the chances of having an accident that is your fault while doing formals etc is miniscule. It would be easier to win lotto if you are looking at the odds.
If an accident occurs it will very very likely be someone else's fault. If that's the case the insurance is a non issue as it will be claimed against the other driver so the fact that you are carrying passengers is irrelevant and so what if they are all dressed up. They can't refuse you insurance for being well dressed lol!

Many times in the past hot rodders and modified car clubs have had days where they will take disadvantaged and or disabled kids for a ride in the cars and if someone chucked in a few dollars for fuel etc so what!

As you said people who do this type of thing with cars that they build or pay big dollars for drive very carefully with a car load of kids or wedding parties. Its a great buzz for the kids at their formals and it would be a big shame if it goes the way that a lot of our other freedoms have in the past.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #69
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

You can be the best driver ever (which NOBODY is) and still get wiped out by a drunk unlicensed driver in a stolen car...no insurance for you or your illegal passengers then.

I have no problem with legal operators protecting their industry. Any builder or tradie would do the same if they try this crap on them. Every so often some upstart thinks laws don't apply to them, they don't last long normally.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #70
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
You can be the best driver ever (which NOBODY is) and still get wiped out by a drunk unlicensed driver in a stolen car...no insurance for you or your illegal passengers then.

I have no problem with legal operators protecting their industry. Any builder or tradie would do the same if they try this crap on them. Every so often some upstart thinks laws don't apply to them, they don't last long normally.
I have no problem with legal operators protecting their industry either but tell me how you can ascertain that someone is carrying illegal passengers. What proof are you going to supply. Somehow I don't think someone taking a few kids to a formal will be carrying paperwork to show that they threw in for some fuel costs and if the number of passengers equals the number of seatbelts, the car is legally registered and the driver is licenced and insured there are no illegal passengers unless of course they are boat people or maybe bikies if its in QLD.

So a few hotrods and custom cars deliver a few kids to formals for one or two weeks a year and a few friends use their cars for wedding parties etc I hardly think that it will kill the hire car and limousine industry.

Lets be realistic about this some people want special cars for these occasions and the hire car companies can't provide them so friends and friends of friends step in to make sure the occasion is special for those concerned and a token of appreciation is offered and sometimes accepted.

So all of you arguing in the negative on this thread have never given or accepted a case of beer for a favour or you have never thrown in for fuel when a mate takes you somewhere. In short you have never given anyone a gratuity or accepted one before?

If you have its no different to taking a few kids to a formal and copping a few bucks for your trouble and time.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #71
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Some people only see black or white, that's why there's fewer and fewer real people left in the world. No point making them see it your way, as they might as well be computers. Just keep doing what you doing and deal with it, if that blue moon might come around. Australia is doomed as there's no understanding for being a mate and doing a favour. Most of us who do this do it for fun, not for profit. So what if they throw you a token of appreciation, for your time and trouble.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #72
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So in theory if I...
1. Meet the 'hirer' in the car park (not a public road) at the venue
2. They get in my classic rego car and we drive up to the entrance (again not driving on a public road) get hppy snaps, then get out
3. I drive off with some $$$ in hand

Would that be braking the law?
(assuming I stay under the magic number for tax collection of course)

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 07-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #73
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Gee everytime I make a post the thread dies.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #74
monte.b

Maybe check your breath or do you have body odor
Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #75
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

The original story person was advertising and collecting money, therefore a business in the eyes of DTMR if not the ATO... That is illegal in Qld without the correct licenses and insurance...can't get any clearer.

FYI in Qld public car parks are classed as public roads and you can get booked there to.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #76
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let us be reasonable. We're not talking about a dad who drops their kids/mates off at a formal.

They are not going to care whether they paid for fuel, or washed your car, or bought you a slab for your efforts.

They are after the people that make regular income (declared or not) who take away potential business from those who pay the required licensing fees and insurance premiums.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #77
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
The original story person was advertising and collecting money, therefore a business in the eyes of DTMR if not the ATO... That is illegal in Qld without the correct licenses and insurance...can't get any clearer.

FYI in Qld public car parks are classed as public roads and you can get booked there to.
Didn't know that thanks for the info.
If I had a car like the ones mentioned in the thread insurance alone would stop me dead in my tracks from doing it. Cars like that are worth more than a few $$$ here and there
UK
Old 08-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #78
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does someone know the facebook page address or has anyone read it because I can't find anything in the thread or the links that says they were running a business.

The sunshine article links them to year 12 formals only not even weddings!

So the bottom line is they are doing it as a bit of a public service and classic cars are their hobby.

Its pretty common knowledge that you are allowed to make money from your hobby to cover costs so unless the facebook page says something pretty damning it is pretty black and white.

Year 12 formals only happen for a few weeks a year so where is the profit in that!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #79
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And its also fairly black-and-white using a private vehicle, regarding reg and insurance

Dude was a knob thinking he could get away with it
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #80
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no problem with insurance if you are using the vehicle for what it was intended.

Driving people around and that's all they were doing and its not against any law to share costs with people. This is a storm in a teacup.

So I take it that you don't know what the website said either.

The thread seems to be based on what people think rather than any real facts. That's why I asked if anyone could provide the facts from the website.

You mention the dude trying to get away with something. This isn't correct. It was a bunch of people from a club doing it for a couple of weeks. Big profits to be had there! There pockets would literally be bursting with cash. lol!

But if you guys want to join the fun police and stomp on what everyone else is doing without knowing what's going on that's fine but I prefer to make my observations when I know the facts of things.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #81
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, i'm far from the fun police, advertising a service, regardless of you are chasing reimbursement for carwash, buckets of water and three hours of your cleaning time

if you chase cash its black and white

Five GT's at a wedding, no problem. Brilliant cold spread, salad rolls, lads got some beers into them, cars got a quick wipe down and off we went.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #82
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's right its black and white, get cash to cover the costs of your hobby and the tax office isn't interested in the slightest. So its not a business!

Fully registered cars no insurance problems either.

There's no difference getting paid in food and beer or anything else, if you run a business the tax office want to know about it. They tax barter card and other similar trading schemes and money never changes hands in those.

Has anyone here actually seen the website so they can pass on the information that may or may not prove its a business. Otherwise it just seems that there is a bit of jealousy out there about a few blokes having a go at something good.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #83
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here, read this one as well

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-11-1...e-jail/2340218
Old 08-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #84
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
That's right its black and white, get cash to cover the costs of your hobby and the tax office isn't interested in the slightest. So its not a business!

Fully registered cars no insurance problems either.

There's no difference getting paid in food and beer or anything else, if you run a business the tax office want to know about it. They tax barter card and other similar trading schemes and money never changes hands in those.

Has anyone here actually seen the website so they can pass on the information that may or may not prove its a business. Otherwise it just seems that there is a bit of jealousy out there about a few blokes having a go at something good.
As has been said repeatedly on here it NOT about the Tax Office...they are breaking Qld Passenger Transport Rules and DTMR is investigating them, not the ATO.

I cant claim to be a doctor or a builder just because I do it a few weeks a year, I need to be registered, insured etc and follow the rules.

The fact the website is not there anymore proves they were guilty more than anything else IMHO.

You will not get in trouble helping your mate move or taking your family and friends for a ride, so long as you blatantly don't take money or advertise.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #85
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same in SA.... some dudes just dont get it

http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpor...senger-vehicle

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...fact_sheet.pdf
Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #86
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should just legalize and tax marijuana like NZ has done and leave us car enthusiast alone they can make heaps of money that way and leave us alone
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #87
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

youre ok with some random dude off bookface taking your 16yo daughter and her friends for a drive

cool
Old 09-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #88
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
youre ok with some random dude off bookface taking your 16yo daughter and her friends for a drive

cool
Yeah I'm ok with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Yeah read that one before. The fun police gone mad!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
As has been said repeatedly on here it NOT about the Tax Office...they are breaking Qld Passenger Transport Rules and DTMR is investigating them, not the ATO.

I cant claim to be a doctor or a builder just because I do it a few weeks a year, I need to be registered, insured etc and follow the rules.

The fact the website is not there anymore proves they were guilty more than anything else IMHO.

You will not get in trouble helping your mate move or taking your family and friends for a ride, so long as you blatantly don't take money or advertise.
You can actually build your own house even if you know absolutely nothing about building. Do a simple test on the internet and get an owner builders licence (cheap as) and away you go. You can build almost anything this way even a mansion. Sell it take the money and run. The tax office or any one else doesn't care and you make a lot more money than driving a few kids to formals.

You can claim to be a firefigher just by joining your local brigade. No one bats an eyelid.

You can claim to be a rescue operator just by joining your local rescue station. No one bats an eyelids.

You can claim to be a lifesaver just by joining your local surf club. No one bats an eyelid.

These are just a couple of things that you can claim to be that are a lot more to do with life and death the thread subject as some op's have mentioned in regard to killing people on the way to the formal. There are heaps more examples like this which kind of cancel out your doctor, builder scenarios.

It is about the tax office because it pertains to what constitutes a business and the formal runs don't qualify as that. Its a service they are offering as part of their hobby. And no one can stop you from driving kids to a formal in any vehicle legally registered with a licenced driver. Their is no law that says you can't inform people of this service either. So there goes the advertising argument too.

You haven't seen the facebook page either so you are basing your negative view on the media articles and we all know how accurate they are when it comes to car enthusiasts.

I can't believe the number of so called car enthusiasts on here who will jump to condemn what other enthusiasts are doing without knowing the truth of it.

Mate our hobby has a hard time of it in the media all the time and I think anyone who takes it at face value probably needs to do more research because the media usually live in fantasy land.

By the way these blokes aren't claiming to be limo or hire car operators. In the things I have read they claim to be car enthusiasts.

Like I said before its a storm in a teacup and our authorities should leave it alone and let people get on with their lives.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #89
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so youre cool with me taking your 16yo daughter for a drive

pm me details

btw

how many weddings have you done???
Old 09-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #90
monte.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
so youre cool with me taking your 16yo daughter for a drive

pm me details

btw
That post should be removed NOW ,very personal and very offencive to anybody with a daughter
Closed Thread