Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #61
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
We are still talking about cars here, aren't we?
Only pics of cars .... honestly! All those nights away though he does get lonely. :ymca:

Pinkbits can sniff an X series, windows up, driving through a country town, with a radius of 20kms. Even with a bucket of KFC on his lap.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #62
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah and he's been in Bendigo lately.. keep away from my territory!!!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #63
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Not an opinion really. If I have a car (or anything) that someone is willing to buy for the price I am happy with, why should I offer less? Its not a charity. When I sell are car, I will see what they are selling for (not just what is being asked for ... 2 different things) and ask accordingly.

In other words ...... It takes 2 people to set the bench mark for market price .... The buyer & a seller ...... thats it. If something is too expensive it will not sell.
Agree with some of what you said. It has started small and got bigger. Buyer sets a price 99% of people laugh at, 1 person buys it now the price goes up for all other cars like it whether they are in poor condition or not.
Prices didn't jump $100,000's overnight but in little increments. It had to start somewhere. Seller asking too higher a price for it then buyer paying it doesn't mean its worth that much. Only to that person. But in the market someone sees the sale go through and then the next price will be higher until we have what we got today.
But its a collectors market and they pay insane sums of cash for these cars. If we can't afford it just laugh at them.

The most insane example I have seen is in Star Wars collecting. 4 Boba Fett pre production figures made with missile firing back pack. Plastic is worth about 5 cents but I've seen one sell for US$24000. Its worth that only to the person who bought it. The rest of the sensible market leaves it alone and buys one new in a packet for $10 saving US$23990

Personally I think its crazy and do not add to these crazy prices.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #64
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
XM-XP falcons are still dirt cheap. me and my dad got our xm sedan in drivable unrestored condition for $700 a few years ago. sure they dont have clevos, but they weight bugger all and there are a huge range of parts available. easy to restore as well, very few plastic parts.
And the roofs fall off quite nicely

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #65
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Buy a more current car in fair to good nick that you can restore that will eventually become a classic but just what would you buy? Will some of the more recent cars become classics and collectable in the next 10 or 20 years. Ford you have the ed sprint, tickford, commo you have the vh, vk, vl, ss and anything brock..........even the brock eb falcon. Probably pick up some of these for less than 10k and the parts are relatively available and cheap now. Fast fwd 10 years who knows it's anyones guess. Who would have thought a good condition xd esp 79 model easily gets 20k+ now?
thats the thing, will these 10 - 15 year old cars become classics?? maybe I should keep the AU - maybe in 50 years it will be a classic??? : : :

memories of paddock bashin back in the early eighties with a mate in his ol' bomb... Blue XAGT, 351 auto, with windback sunroof etc - he used to abuse the crap out of it..... I remember thrashin it around on dirt roads before I had a licence. makes me cry now that I didn't realise the value of said car.

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT

Last edited by randel; 05-07-2009 at 08:55 PM.
randel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #66
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
Agree with some of what you said. It has started small and got bigger. Buyer sets a price 99% of people laugh at, 1 person buys it now the price goes up for all other cars like it whether they are in poor condition or not.
Prices didn't jump $100,000's overnight but in little increments. It had to start somewhere. Seller asking too higher a price for it then buyer paying it doesn't mean its worth that much. Only to that person. But in the market someone sees the sale go through and then the next price will be higher until we have what we got today.
But its a collectors market and they pay insane sums of cash for these cars. If we can't afford it just laugh at them.

Personally I think its crazy and do not add to these crazy prices.

As you said, it takes only one person to buy, no matter if one or one hundred people look at the car, if it sells, then that's what it's worth.

If the car does not sell, the price drops until the dollar amount meets the market value.

The only ones laughing are the seller (who recieved said laughable amount) and the buyer whom got a rare car he wanted. What anyone in between thinks is a moot point.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #67
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel
thats the thing, will these 10 - 15 year old cars become classics?? maybe I should keep the AU - maybe in 50 years it will be a classic??? : : :

memories of paddock bashin back in the early eighties with a mate in his ol' bomb... Blue XAGT, 351 auto, with windback sunroof etc - he used to abuse the crap out of it..... I remember thrashin it around on dirt roads before I had a licence. makes me cry now that I didn't realise the value of said car.
would of made a great paddock basher
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #68
Carbonblack

hi, there are still good buys , have a look at what i picked up for $300 yesterday on classic car section under xc sedan, was going to pull it apart for bits for coupe but may do it up now. keep looking, they are there.
Carbonblack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #69
Carbonblack

sorry, that was $500 that i paid, wife pointed it out, didnt have my glasses on
Carbonblack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #70
low au classic
EA FALCONED

still a very nice score well done

SVO wheels 16x7 & 16x8
SVO MOMO steering wheel
SVO rear spoiler
SVO dash cluster
SVO RECARO trim
SVO headers
SVO grille
Sounds good pity it hasn’t ran in 3 years
low au classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #71
xtreme
V8 Addict

this is all a 2 sided debate. people who are holding onto a classic will love the recent price inflation, and those desiring them, will be disappointed. personally, i bought an XT fairmont when i was 15 in 2000/01 for $1k, with a full respray, new interior, a good 302. still needed a lot of work, and was on the road 2 years later. market value then was anywhere between $5k-10k.

i have sat back and watched the value of my car more than triple in value in recent times, but it does come at a cost. i had a full make-over a couple of years ago including rust repairs, a full respray...these sting the wallet!!

i turned down a genuine XY GS with original 351 engine, all numbers matching in 2002. it was 4k. it was complete, and ready for a respray. i turnd it down as i just wanted to get my XT on the road. big regret

i then got a lead on another XY GS in 2004-05 for $1200. it needed a full resto, but was all numbers matching. this time i agreed i would get it, got the cash together, but missed out by 10 mins, as it was snapped up by the guys brother in law.

my point, if you see something u like and is within ur budget, buy it, you wont regret it.

My Collection:

The WEEKENDER:
1968 XT Fairmont (GT rep) - 351 clevo, pacemakers, 2.5" twin system, C10 auto, 2500 Hi-Stall, 3.45:1 LSD, 198 rwkw

The DAILY:
2003 BA GT, Citric Acid, exhaust, headers, cold air intake, 248 rwkw
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #72
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
As you said, it takes only one person to buy, no matter if one or one hundred people look at the car, if it sells, then that's what it's worth.

If the car does not sell, the price drops until the dollar amount meets the market value.

The only ones laughing are the seller (who recieved said laughable amount) and the buyer whom got a rare car he wanted. What anyone in between thinks is a moot point.
It will sell eventually no matter what the price. I think the market is split.
If a car has no one interested in it for 6 months and 1 person buys it after that near to what it is offered at I don't think it is market value in my opinion.

I'll try another example. I sold my EF XR6 for $4500 within 24 hours of it being advertised at $5000. If I advertised it at $10,000 it would of taken ages to sell (if it all) but the market would of not of made $10,000 the new value for EF XR6s. Only to people who think the car is awesome and collectible then the prices go all silly.

Thats the best example I can think of.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #73
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

2004 - I bought a decent XB GS Coupe (Tango/Black trim/302/Manual) for $2500. Bargains are still out there!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #74
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a lot of the time, its right place right time sort of thing. At the moment theres a locally advertised zf (xa) fairlane, wild violet v8 requiring resto, these are nice cars done right, this one is $2000 so not a bad price, so they do appear now and then.

Its also worth getting your relo's and friends to keep an eye out for you

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive found in the past the majority of people hunting for bargains are just doing it to re-sell them at market rates to make money off anyway....

Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #76
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351
a lot of the time, its right place right time sort of thing. At the moment theres a locally advertised zf (xa) fairlane, wild violet v8 requiring resto, these are nice cars done right, this one is $2000 so not a bad price, so they do appear now and then.

Its also worth getting your relo's and friends to keep an eye out for you
351 or 302?

White trim?

gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #77
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey mate, don't actually know, thats most of the info that was in the ad, i would assume 302, can pm you the contact details if you like

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #78
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive found in the past the majority of people hunting for bargains are just doing it to re-sell them at market rates to make money off anyway....
unfortunately your right, but not everyone is like that

Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #79
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Only pics of cars .... honestly! All those nights away though he does get lonely. :ymca:

Pinkbits can sniff an X series, windows up, driving through a country town, with a radius of 20kms. Even with a bucket of KFC on his lap.
Found 2 last week
And no less than 6 this week, and half of those were in the Bendigo district!
Sorry Melz! : :eclipsee_
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #80
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Classics are still out there, you've just got to invest some time, paitence and cash to find them. Old out of the way country wrecking yards can be a start. Known dumping grounds and old country tips. Take a trip down some lesser known roads in your area. You might be surprised at what you can find sometimes less than a few minutes from your own house!!! Train rides through suburban areas can be a good way to scan peoples backyards for the project that got wheeled down to the fence and left to rot. Old industrial area's in small towns can yeild dividends too. Talk to some of the older locals at the pub. You'd be surprised at some of the info they have about cars they couldn't care less about, and it only cost you a beer!!! A simple drive through the farm and regional area's are just as rewarding. Just have to make the effort yourself. They ain't going to find you.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #81
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy351
Classics are still out there, you've just got to invest some time, paitence and cash to find them. Old out of the way country wrecking yards can be a start. Known dumping grounds and old country tips. Take a trip down some lesser known roads in your area. You might be surprised at what you can find sometimes less than a few minutes from your own house!!! Train rides through suburban areas can be a good way to scan peoples backyards for the project that got wheeled down to the fence and left to rot. Old industrial area's in small towns can yeild dividends too. Talk to some of the older locals at the pub. You'd be surprised at some of the info they have about cars they couldn't care less about, and it only cost you a beer!!! A simple drive through the farm and regional area's are just as rewarding. Just have to make the effort yourself. They ain't going to find you.

DAMN!!
My secrets have been exposed.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #82
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
DAMN!!
So what was the count this week? Don't you dare tell anyone where they were ........ :evilsasmo

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #83
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Including the one in Donald last night,...................7
Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #84
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
DAMN!!
Yep, and I bet you've reached the point where you remember certain towns not by name or any redeeming feature, but by the potential parts or project's you saw in a paddock. Or you get that feeling when your travelling down a road to suddenly look into the paddock to your left because your parts 'radar' has detected a car in long grass under a tree 200m back from the road!!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #85
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Have cousins in Donald ..... might make some phone calls

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #86
low au classic
EA FALCONED

well if your old ford sniffing noses smell a few old td tc cortinas let me know guys thanks would be great

SVO wheels 16x7 & 16x8
SVO MOMO steering wheel
SVO rear spoiler
SVO dash cluster
SVO RECARO trim
SVO headers
SVO grille
Sounds good pity it hasn’t ran in 3 years
low au classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #87
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So which Old Grannies have we been harassing this week Pink-hoarder?
Old 18-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #88
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So which Old Grannies have we been harassing this week Pink-hoarder?
My latest booty,
Quote:
Just got home from another 2 weeks of work in country Victoria.
The haul included;
A pair of XB coupe/ute doors in very very good cond
a ZG bonnet with very good front mould & badge
XB battery tray, wiper motor & set of Fairmont arm rests.
2 sets of h/light & wiper switches
2 V8 t/bar shifters & surrounds
pair of sedan anti lift wipers
V8 throttle cable
Option 52 rim and cap
1 worn Dunlop Aquajet
Lucas twin horns
Cigarette lighter
Heater control knobs
Various spare screws & bolts
3 "globe" screw on caps
Windscreen washer jets
The lot for $150, (and that's not a wrong keystroke)

The funny thing is, that i found it all by accident.
Just go's to show it is still out there.
Old 18-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #89
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't try 'hooking' it over the fence did we?
Old 18-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #90
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Didn't try 'hooking' it over the fence did we?
All above board.
The bloke even left the gate open for me, said to leave the cash in the meter box as he was going out dirt bike riding.
Very trusting these country folk, thank goodness not many have pc's.

That lovely old lady with the Mulberry ZG wanted to take my number in case she wanted to sell.