Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #61
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Default Re: Regretted selling a car? Bought it back later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Mark my words Ryan, a car you have owned for that long with that many memories attached to it, you'll definitely regret selling it.
agreed - i assume it was your first car ryan. most guys regret selling their first car. if it is feasible to keep it, then within reason i suggest to do it. 8 years of ownership was the time my coupe stopped being an everyday car - sure it meant 2 regos etc. but i am glad i did it now

i have put many times on this forum that i still own my first car (24 years, 4 months) and the reason is i am proud of the fact. most guys either choose wrong or trash their first car, so to still have yours after 8 years is a great achievement

for sure i know nothing of your financial state or your hopes for the future, but if you can keep it without compromising other things too much, then hang onto it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #62
Parkway
I Like Turtles

I don't think my El Futura wants to be sold.

I had it up on Carsales recently and was going to sell it unregistered (was registered at the time though). Come the the day where the rego runs out, I go and check the mail and I couldn't believe it, but there was another 6 months rego sticker in there. I didn't pay for it, my dad wouldn't if he was a billionaire and had a hint of generosity and my mum says she didn't either! Also, I was going to buy a cheap Suby advertised online that would have easily replaced the ol' girl and I go to enquire the very next day and it was sold apparently. Needless to say, I love my car more than ever and I reckon I'll drive this thing into the ground with me.
Parkway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #63
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I regret selling my BA XR6. IT wasn't anything special but it was a fantastic car. Reliable as hell and took my punishment (while I pretty much killed my previous two cars). EVen when it was nearing 150,000k's it went hard and didn't have squeeks and rattles.

I still look out for it as I would love to buy it back (mind you I been looking at AU XR8 utes more and more lately).

But if anyone sees a Lightning strike BA XR6 manual sedan with the plates TFM558 let me know. But I have this feeling that the car has been written off.
Old 29-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #64
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I regret selling any of the 5 XA-XB coupes I owned. In particular the RPO and the rebuilt one I had in 1987. Never been able to find either one but if I could, I'd buy those two back in a heartbeat.
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #65
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

There is alot of love for previously owned early E series !

I will add mine, I wanted to buy back.

ED Futura, was just a cammed 4L with a custom 2.5" zorst which regularly got mistaken for an 8, as it was deep and didn't sound like a boat like most Ford 6's. First nice car i had bought on my P's in 1998 and done up a little.
I got married in 2002, and we traded it not long after at a Ford dealer in Sydney for the AU XR8 i have now. It took me a good 5-6 years to get over trading that car. If i ever saw it again, i would buy it !
Old 29-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #66
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
Hey guys, I recently sold my mint EBII S-XR6 and got myself a Toyota Camry wagon (bad decision) and I've regretted it ever since.

Long story short, I contacted the guy I sold the XR6 to last week...
I didn't have high hopes that he'd sell it back to me but after he heard my story and how much I missed the car he agreed that he will sell it back to me for a very reasonable price - less than he paid in fact.
He hadn't anticipated how much it loves a drink

I have spent many hours working on the old beast and it's a very heavily modified car.
I think I just got sick and tired of all the little problems it had, so in my moment of madness I sold it.

Anyone else here sold a car and bought it back later?
Stories would be nice
I'm currently getting some money together to buy the car back, I count myself as lucky. This Camry has been nothing but repairs.

I don't want to feel like the only mad person on here.

Mods, if this is the wrong section, please move it to the correct one.
Wow, I sold my ED Futura with a heap of extra's and got a Camry sedan. Everyday I look at the camry ad think "why did I sell the ED" in truth the camry was being bought anyway, but we had 3 cars in driveway and my fiance's dad would not sign over the rego to her 2 door excel so I could sell it, even though we had 2 kids because in his eyes it was "a good little car" not practical at all, so as I owned the ED it was the one sold. I must admit I went and got the camry because I was also sick of little problems on the ED. Like the transmission did not work properly, you could put it in 1st but it would still just drive as if it was in D and it needed an oil pump. i replaced lifters thining I had a crappy one, and used better oil, but it still ticked away, one day I was checking the oil and up the top where the cap is was dry, no oil to be seen. But the oil was full, it just wasn't being pushed to the top.

The ED had
Lowered suspension
Monroe GT Race suspension
Full fairlane interior or GT, it was the bucket seats with leather trim and all the doors were velour type stuff
Trip computer
K&N filter
16" CSA rims
Slotted rotors
2.5" Lukey exhaust with twin tips
Full 5.1 surround sound JVC DVD touch screen system with dual amps and sub. 1 amp was for speakers, one for sub.

I sold it for $800

Last edited by Spudz27; 29-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #67
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Well, I picked up the old Falcon this morning! I'm so pleased that I'm reunited with it again.
When I turned the final corner and saw my XR6 after so long, I swear my heart skipped
The owner had indeed only done ~70kms in the car and it was exactly how I sold it to him

It's fair to say I'm never selling this car again.
Since getting it back I've given it a good clean (exterior + interior) and applied two decals (both Metallica stickers), I'll post pics up in my build thread at some point for anyone interested.

On a side note, I overtook a BA XT sedan on the way home (trans in "Power" mode, foot flat to the floor) and I thought I was going to need new pants - for multiple reasons!
I've missed this car.

I'm one happy camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
Wow, I sold my ED Futura with a heap of extra's and got a Camry sedan. Everyday I look at the camry ad think "why did I sell the ED" in truth the camry was being bought anyway, but we had 3 cars in driveway and my fiance's dad would not sign over the rego to her 2 door excel so I could sell it, even though we had 2 kids because in his eyes it was "a good little car" not practical at all, so as I owned the ED it was the one sold. I must admit I went and got the camry because I was also sick of little problems on the ED. Like the transmission did not work properly, you could put it in 1st but it would still just drive as if it was in D and it needed an oil pump. i replaced lifters thining I had a crappy one, and used better oil, but it still ticked away, one day I was checking the oil and up the top where the cap is was dry, no oil to be seen. But the oil was full, it just wasn't being pushed to the top.

The ED had
Lowered suspension
Monroe GT Race suspension
Full fairlane interior or GT, it was the bucket seats with leather trim and all the doors were velour type stuff
Trip computer
K&N filter
16" CSA rims
Slotted rotors
2.5" Lukey exhaust with twin tips
Full 5.1 surround sound JVC DVD touch screen system with dual amps and sub. 1 amp was for speakers, one for sub.

I sold it for $800
Mate, my transmission occasionally does the same thing in regards to putting it in any forwards gear and it acts as if it is in D.
Upon pulling over, shifting the transmission into Park, turning off the car and restarting it rectifies itself... so I have no idea what it could be and it doesn't really bother me as I'll be going to 5 speed manual anyway.
Old 29-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #68
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
When I'm in a position to retire the old junker I think I will just park it in the shed, drain everything out of it and leave it because I don't want anyone else to have it. I'm a bit of a hoarder.
+1. After seeing my Dad sell my old XD to his mate who has no idea what preventative maintenance is - and consequently destroy it, there is no way I am parting with the XR6.
It hasn't been plagued by the typical BA issues (so far), so I hope to keep it for many more years to come.

I'm just going to need a really big shed... BA, another XD project, and probably at some point an F6 to play with as well.
Then I'll also need space for my bus, and the Landseer coach.....
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #69
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I'm starting to regret the sale of the V8 wagon...

It had a few issues (chewing through fuel, auto was in LHM half the time, paintwork and interior were all royally stuffed), but it was a fun and good car...

I'd probably buy it back if I saw it again....