Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #61
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford has a brand issue so who do they turn to........

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl
Comments in this thread about the ad and your mates house just seem negative.

There is way too much of these types of sentiments creeping into this forum.

well of course thats your view......thats the beauty of Australia....we are all entitled to our own views

I found the comments from my mates house to be amusing and merely highlighted the one "shining" feature that attracted him to buying the house, far from negative I helped him rebuild the house into what it is today....

if this "one feature" helps to sell this vehicle then good

I fail to see where else I am being negative......far from it I recommend Ford go a lot further.....

I am, however, critical (there is a lot of difference between negativity and criticism) of the Ford marketing and advertising team

to highlight one piece of a vehicle above so many other outstanding features is to miss opportunities and in this case I, and many others, feel they have done so

but if this advertising is aimed at a possible purchasing population who like tech above all else and it sells vehicles then well done them

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #62
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
okay well compare that to the old "B" series ad's........I wonder if anyone will remember this latest ad in close to, what, 10 years or whatever it is

the ad that was produced by our own in house gent is streets ahead of this one

shows technology, pride, reliability and modern features with a catchy tune, okay tune may be dated but surely the millions of dollars that are pumped into advertising could come up with something better than "you're the voice"

compare that ad to a Microsoft inspired stereo to sell cars

I'm not a Ford hater and I'm not a hater in general but I simply see a missed opportunity by Ford and particularly their advertising department

size, luxury, reliability, power, innovation.......the list goes on......the positives are wide and varied

there are so many angles that an advertising company could have approached this from and yet they chose a voice command stereo and a very old icon

I really dont know what the exec's at Ford are thinking with their marketing strategy but this is not the way forward for Ford
The old 'Can't get enough of this'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeKFXvzPdeA

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #63
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
there is a lot of difference between negativity and criticism
Criticism is negative unless it is contructive criticism

I don't believe its right to just say i have a right to my opinion. People may as well say 'I don't care what anyone else thinks'

When the haters on the forum learn to use tact, not just be critical all the time, then AFF will be a much better place, we might even start a worldwide revolution.

See-I remain optimistic that human nature isn't shot to hell.

Has anyone passed on their creative suggestions to Ford Marketing???
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #64
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of you guys are missing the point. This ad wasn't designed to appeal to most of you, so you don't have to like it. The attributes that sold Fords in the 1980s and 1990s are NOT the same things that sell them now. Even the BA ad from 2002 wouldn't work today. Times change, cars change and people change and marketing changes to reflect that. 'Have You Driven A Ford Lately' may have worked on you in the '80s but that style of ad, much like the 'You're One Of Us' campaign from Holden does absolutely nothing to attract new buyers to the marque which is what marketing is all about these days. Ford don't care if you buy a Fiesta instead of a Falcon, they care that you buy a Ford instead of a Hyundai!
Old 15-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #65
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
thats not it at all......I simply cannot see the point in the ad.....there is no selling point or "catch" other than if you speak to the stereo then a very scary and very old John Farnham jumps out

where's the "catchy" tune.....the "hook" the "feel good" about buying a Ford....none of the above are there
Pretty catchy to me

Quote:
this ad would not encourage me to even look at Ford.......it is hollow at best and demeaning at worse if FOA thinks all we customers want is a stereo that will obey voice commands
I thought they all wanted RWD sedans, oh wait.
Yeah i couldnt care if my car can talk to me, i mean my 2 year old Focus has voice control albeit it a little older system and ive used it once.
Maybe if they did an ad showing the XR6 Turbo strutting its stuff, hang on they cant and if they did people would still complain.
Thats not the point though, this ad shows the tech available in the car. That and they have made a bloody ad, baby steps this may be the tip of the iceberg.
If not maybe some members on here should apply for a job with Ford marketing and see how long they last....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #66
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
If not maybe some members on here should apply for a job with Ford marketing and see how long they last....

If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
Old 15-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #67
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

criticism is not always destructive or don't you read the critic pages of most newspaper columnists

to continuously "hail the ford brand" simply because it is a ford and constantly bring up the "negative" card or the "haters card" when you dont agree is not in the best interest of the forum either

the idea of a conversation is to have a balanced view with multiple varying inputs without attacking another contributor for having a differing view and accusing him/her of "always being negative"........

to constantly agree would see a dead forum in very quick time

if someone thinks something is bad and a person has an opinion which differs from yours why bring up the same old arguments.......try a reasonable conversation stating your thoughts

I state once again.....the amount of technology in the modern vehicle is astronomical and possibly very saleable to a probable market but to simply flout a stereo over so many other shining examples does not work

the "cant get enough of this" ad is dated, as I stated before but it has stuck......once again surely the marketing personnel can do better than a ghostly Johnny Farnham ........of which I will state I am a huge fan......but lordy, give the man his retirement

it could be so much better.....but that is my opinion......I'll leave it at that!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #68
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I liked the Ad which is saying a lot really. However if this was a challenge for "The Apprentice" then they would get slaughtered for not showing "Ford" enough. I assume the ad will air on TV so not everyone will have seen it through the ford website.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #69
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Smile Re: Ford has a brand issue so who do they turn to........

Quote:
criticism is not always destructive or don't you read the critic pages of most newspaper columnists-hell no

to continuously "hail the ford brand" simply because it is a ford and constantly bring up the "negative" card or the "haters card" when you dont agree is not in the best interest of the forum either

the idea of a conversation is to have a balanced view with multiple varying inputs without attacking another contributor for having a differing view and accusing him/her of "always being negative"........

to constantly agree would see a dead forum in very quick time

if someone thinks something is bad and a person has an opinion which differs from yours why bring up the same old arguments.......try a reasonable conversation stating your thoughts

I state once again.....the amount of technology in the modern vehicle is astronomical and possibly very saleable to a probable market but to simply flout a stereo over so many other shining examples does not work

the "cant get enough of this" ad is dated, as I stated before but it has stuck......once again surely the marketing personnel can do better than a ghostly Johnny Farnham ........of which I will state I am a huge fan......but lordy, give the man his retirement

it could be so much better.....but that is my opinion......I'll leave it at that!

now there is the tact I was referring to.
Old 15-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #70
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Haha, I just watched and thought it was pretty good. All the cool kids will want this

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I saw Farnham back in the 80's on the Whispering Jack tour.
Old 15-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #71
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
Haha, I just watched and thought it was pretty good. All the cool kids will want this

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I saw Farnham back in the 80's on the Whispering Jack tour.
Nothing to be ashamed about Following Farnsy... he is a Aussie icon as much as Ford is.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #72
Falcman0o7
Banned

Nice

I love the FORD....GO FURTHER

Hope it sticks!

Live it, we have ignition, feel the difference, drive one, no boundrys.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #73
Mad_Pom

Ford have just uploaded a follow-up to the 60 second add.

Just a 15 second real world user thing for Sync - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIfhzUNpv58

Seems to be a lot of these 15 second ads building up
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #74
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok guys keep it on topic and not personal please.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #75
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

At least they chose an Aussie icon from the past that everyone knows, instantly recognisable.

And the song works, "your the voice"

Its perfect.

I'm glad they didn't choose some modern pop-tart like Guy or Ricki lee (although, that would be nicer too look at...)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #76
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know if this would appeal to New Australians who havent been here long enough to relate to John Farnham. Maybe it doesnt matter cause they would probably buy a Corolla or a Mazda 3 anyways.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #77
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't mind it but nothing to rave about.Would much rather have seen farnam walk into a show room lift the bonnet on a coyote and heard the blower whine while he puts the boot into it say something like nice be in a home grown product.Bet it's been a while since he drove a ford.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #78
Cambo351
Jag built with Ford money

Well I liked it.

Having lived away for the last 7 years, it was a nice reminder of home.

I remember being at a pub in Sydney on Australia day, must have been 2005, up on the roof, You're the Voice was playing & everyone was singing along. It's classic Australiana...

I just hope those Voice controls in the car work better than in the 2012 Focus I drove earlier this year.....
Old 15-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #79
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now I wonder if this technology can be back ported to FG2 or even FG
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #80
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah its called a ipad or iphone.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #81
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
At least they chose an Aussie icon from the past that everyone knows, instantly recognisable.

And the song works, "your the voice"

Its perfect.

I'm glad they didn't choose some modern pop-tart like Guy or Ricki lee (although, that would be nicer too look at...)
Wasn't Ford the major sponsor of a recent "teeny-bopper" talent show? Wasn't the feature car a Ford Focus and the spotlight on it's technology?
Old 15-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #82
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

yeah it was cheesy, but i liked it.
Good on Ford.
Old 15-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #83
AU Mont
Banned

the ads need more 'edge'

Julia Gillard in a GT 335 with Tony Abbot in the passenger seat, static burnout in the Ford showroom, salesman's face coated in rubber, Gillard loves it:

"i'll take it"
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #84
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha.. just watched it on the internetz.. bam it just played on telly ch10..

go the Farnsy.. go you Fords..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #85
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are Australians the new Poms....

All you lot seem to do on here is whinge

I thought the ad was pretty good, catchy tune from a Aussie icon.

People have been screaming out for tech for Aussie Fords, the tech arrives and you lot complain about the advert and that it's MS, to coin a well known motorsports speech...

"Your a pack of a-holes"

As for comparing it to the BA Falcon ad, that was one out of the box. Probably one the best car ads ever made, and at a time when FOA really needed it after the AU, the actual car helped too.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #86
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
That is fantastic, well done Ford, well done.

Doesnt show the product as Ford? What was the site is was viewed from

Try post #14 ...back at ya..

Last edited by zilo; 15-10-2012 at 08:45 PM.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #87
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Are Australians the new Poms....

All you lot seem to do on here is whinge

I thought the ad was pretty good, catchy tune from a Aussie icon.

That is a touch funny....John Farnham is an Aussie?

Oh dear?

"John Peter Farnham was born in Dagenham, England, on 1 July 1949, to John Farnham Snr and Rose Pemberton.[21] His sisters are Jean and Jaquiline (Jackie), and his younger brother is Steven.[21] Farnham spent his first ten years in England before his family emigrated to Australia in 1959 to live in Melbourne, Victoria"
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #88
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Try post #14 ...back at ya...
I couldnt care much for watching car commercials on youtube, i dont think hey im looking for a new car better check you tube
Its either on the FoA site, or on TV. But im not the target audience, i have my new Ford and wont buy another for at least 12mths and even then ill go look at the car and do my own research.
I was referring to the first post not the youtube clip.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #89
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its a subliminal message from ford, just like farnham "ford" will live on forever and never retire!.

lol
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #90
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Now they just need to do a family vacation orientated ad, centered around the Falcon, to the tunes of eagle rock.
Everyone having a good time, whilst showing some classic aussie outback scenery.

Think of the opening credits of Wolf Creek, but with less XD Falcon, and more FG Falcon.

(go to the 11.04min mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeevDPzo2i4

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it

Last edited by SPArKy_Dave; 15-10-2012 at 09:19 PM.
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post