Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #61
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: what sends the efs els and aus to wreckers when they look like theyre too good to go there

Given that it was nearly 2k to fix a slight bingle on the front right fender of my car, i'm not surprised it's not taking much to make them write offs.

I also found when I had an older car that I couldn't comprehensively insure it either. Sure, I probably would have eventually found someone willing, but was it worth the hassle?

I have friends who keep repairing things on their older cars and it gets to the point that they would have saved money if they had scrapped it and bought something else, so while they look okay you just don't know their history.

If the right car at the right price comes along too, why not trade in your older, dying car when the time is right rather than suddenly be scrambling because your car has packed it in?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #62
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: what sends the efs els and aus to wreckers when they look like theyre too good to go there

that's part of the fun, my 91 model vitara needed a new grille and bumper, wrecker cost was about $600 so i bought a complete Vitara and used the parts plus sold the rest and made $1100 profit.
its 3rd party insured, doesn't lock and always starts first go and goes anywhere
basically the car has cost me nothing at all just time which is fun for me
if i roll it offroad i don't care, if its gets stolen i'd be upset but ultimately i won't lose any money

depreciation is the hidden killer of buying any car except maybe an E series or anything pre 2000. you might look good in your $15k FG XT/XR6 but in 5 years you have lost $10k easy. in 5 years and spending $10k on an E series you could have a turbo kit, and a new drivetrain.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #63
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Post your sad photos.
Rule 34?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #64
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8 View Post
...I've just got a wildtrack ordered and every dealer was offering 5-5500 bucks for my VZ SSZ crewman, it was 52k in late 05, had 170k on it, had the intake exhaust tune done, leather interior, had it re cleared so the body was immaculate, wreckers are charging 5k for a complet engine, 1k for a 6 speed trans etc, and I could only get 5k trade in, a wrecker would have given me more, I could have even parted it out myself but it was an immaculate car with years worth of life left in it, it's a shame for our Aussie cars
You say "had" and "was".

Did you take the $5k trade-in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
Keep sending them there
Ive got plenty of parts for my ef from upull it
Cost me $16 to fix the climate control and $35 for a bcm

And best bit is you get to practice installing the part on a junker, albeit in reverse order. Kind of like reverse reverse-engineering?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #65
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I said that I meant for people to post photos from the wrecking yards of all the falcons on death row if they encountered any.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 AM   #66
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
And best bit is you get to practice installing the part on a junker, albeit in reverse order. Kind of like reverse reverse-engineering?
Its easy in the E-series cars, on the off chance a part was put in properly in the first place, it's all held in with scrivets or clips. Yank it hard enough and it'll come out
Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #67
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
When I said that I meant for people to post photos from the wrecking yards of all the falcons on death row if they encountered any.
Rule 34 still applies
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #68
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also what are the signs that it's time for people to sell their cars most seem to when they have to spend big money or once it gets to about certain kms before they loose too much value
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #69
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Also what are the signs that it's time for people to sell their cars most seem to when they have to spend big money or once it gets to about certain kms before they loose too much value
Usually most cars are sold when they become troublesome such as too many breakdowns/unreliable.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #70
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so how do people know when their cars are unreliable and too many breakdowns, how many breakdowns/year is too many
Old 10-04-2016, 03:40 AM   #71
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
Its easy in the E-series cars, on the off chance a part was put in properly in the first place, it's all held in with scrivets or clips. Yank it hard enough and it'll come out
Are you sure? I clearly remember needing to take out about 9 screws to remove the door trim from an EF. In a BA, it was a lousy 4 screws and lousy single use clips that loosen or break after removal. Same deal with the front bumper, the BA front bumper is too simple to rip off and the holding clips seem to never be the same after removal and reinstallation. EF/EL bumper was screwed on properly and didnt sag or warp like the lousy BA bumpers.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #72
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
so how do people know when their cars are unreliable and too many breakdowns, how many breakdowns/year is too many
That depends on how many times you want to be inconvenienced when you want to use your car, usually the owner will know when time to purchase another when you paying too much for a car that is unreliable.
Old 15-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #73
red_hotxr6
Banned

I paid $2 grand for my EL GHIA in 2012, apart from 2 new batteries, tune and service, a $50 radiator and 4 new tyres, it runs brilliantly.Had a lady hit the rear bumper, not bad, that you could tell, $2200.00 to repair, by her insurer R.A.C.Q., yeah the suspension is on its way out, but i tend to jump into this car b4 i jump into the 2001 XR6 AU SERIES 3 i have, these EL,s are one brilliant car to drive and so reliable..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #74
Carrion

Loved my EL that much that I sold it and bought a DF LTD.

Just recently replaced the DF with a C class Mercedes.

Believe it or not I still miss the DF.
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #75
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

When you see efs els and aus and even some ba models at wreckers that look too good to I there and aren't smashed what problems would they likely have that aren't obvious
Old 16-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #76
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Most problems being at the wreckers are....... Scavenged for good parts. So your main problem would be locating all parts to repair. And once parted correct me if I'm wrong, the vehicle becomes a statuary write off.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #77
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi

When you see efs els and aus and even some ba models at wreckers that look too good to I there and aren't smashed what problems would they likely have that aren't obvious
Mechanical problems would be the most obvious answer, it is good they end up at the wreckers for parts otherwise they could have went straight to scrap metal yards to be shredded.
Old 16-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #78
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Most cars at wreckers are economic write offs. Eg the car can not be repaired due to the cost. Like for some owners, a blown engine or gearbox is goodbye to that particular car for example.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #79
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hi

E series are common for BCM and ECU faults, solder joins go dry on the board and they immobilise themselves, can be repaired, I guess because after 20+ years of sitting in the sun and hot/cold cycles of the cabin, the PCBs flog out.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #80
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was talking about the ones that aren't dinged would the problems that aren't obvious likely be needing suspension work or a brake job or a head gasket or nothing wrong with them but paint peeling
Old 16-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #81
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Was talking about the ones that aren't dinged would the problems that aren't obvious likely be needing suspension work or a brake job or a head gasket or nothing wrong with them but paint peeling
Yes. you are correct.
Old 17-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #82
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Bingo. The missing piece. Imagine Australia if everyone had to live in cash purely, no credit. . What would we be driving then
Hmm, well, I am buying my new Mustang with cash. The guy in the finance dept. who took my deposit looked at me a bit funny when I told him this, but I have no desire to pay any interest on a car, and never have before. People should only borrow money as an absolute last resort.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2016, 01:48 AM   #83
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is paint peeling and something little like that all it takes to go to wrecker even if they run well and other hidden trouble would they likely have if they ran well
Old 17-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #84
BFGasUte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
E series are common for BCM and ECU faults, solder joins go dry on the board and they immobilise themselves, can be repaired, I guess because after 20+ years of sitting in the sun and hot/cold cycles of the cabin, the PCBs flog out.
Hello,

Can you provide more detail in what you mean ? 20 Years is pretty good for electronic " consumer " stuff. A dry joint is bad from the start, but the problem shows up later. Lead free solder may be the issue, it is brittle and more prone to cracking. Real solder will last and not fail. How do the PCB's flog out ? I am curious as to what you mean, as boards can suffer damage but dont wear out as such. ( like a moving part which has a finite life )
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #85
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGasUte View Post
Hello,

Can you provide more detail in what you mean ? 20 Years is pretty good for electronic " consumer " stuff. A dry joint is bad from the start, but the problem shows up later. Lead free solder may be the issue, it is brittle and more prone to cracking. Real solder will last and not fail. How do the PCB's flog out ? I am curious as to what you mean, as boards can suffer damage but dont wear out as such. ( like a moving part which has a finite life )
Like anything that is manufactured it will deteriorate as it ages, quicker if exposed to weather & operating conditions
Old 17-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #86
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=blackf6;5628177]Cuban Chrome is a real eye opener. Poor buggers.[/QUOTE

Id love to send Riccardo a pair of rebuild kits for his Healey's carbis
Old 17-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #87
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Pity we can't export them to somewhere like Africa or South America and where emissions and keeping up with the Jones doeant matter . There's this show called Cuban Chrome where everyone repairs their old cars out of the 50s and 60s indefinitely due to high cost of cars and the poverty levels. Seems they appreciate what they have over there.
Not quite. The cars are only kept because until recently, Cuba didn't allow private ownership of cars unless those cars were from the pre-communist era. So, the same cars would be passed through the generations and stay in the same family. If Cuba had a free market, even with extremely high cost of cars, those old 50s/60s cars would have disappeared decades ago, as cheap used Japanese grey imports would have flooded the market, like every other 3rd world country.

It's also my understanding that due to the high cost of fuel in Cuba, those old cars are hardly ever driven - they're more like investments that hold value. I'm sure that if you looked at the cars actually being driven on the highways there, they'd all be modern more fuel efficient models.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #88
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

You know how people sell or trade in their cat at some point and some sell while still running and some drive till they stop how would someone know when to upgrade before the old one stops when it might be running well what would tell someone to even though the old one still runs well
Old 08-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #89
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

If it stops meowing, not eating much and is being quite lethargic, then you know it might be on its last legs.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #90
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I have done my bit and saved couple of very good AU XR6s from the scrappers.

I have also wrecked a few AUs though
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: