Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #61
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate it how some people seem to think all kids that get a nice first car are spoilt. How about a little less prejudice and a little more helpful information people.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #62
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im sorry but the people saying a bf xr6 is too powerful that is just silly
as others have stated, if they are that way inclined they will hoon in anything, theres a guy i know (read; know, not friend) that lost his license in a prelude so now drives his mums yaris in the hope of not getting pulled over in it
now think maccas car park, yaris, smoke

honestly the less he likes the car the more he will hoon in it if he likes to hoon, i know being a revhead p plater myself what prevents me doing things is mostly 1. fear of damaging my car or injuring myself/someone and 2. police presence in my suburb

get him something with abs at the very least, others have suggested ke70 corollas... bad idea, all they are good for is a cheap drifter
if i didnt get my car off my parents i probably would have bought an eb or el on gas to last me until i got off my p plates but i got a car i wouldnt have been able to afford that will keep me entertained a bit longer than my 4 years hopefully

abs has probably saved my neck in a few situations that werent brought about by hooning, merely lack of experience, i think your original choice of the bf xr6 is a good one, will have the safety features, itll be a nice car (something to be proud of as opposed to a run about) and will be decent on petrol unless you want it on gas
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #63
seeman
SEEMAN (9.98 138mph)

ok well im 20 years old and i have had 3 powerfull cars in that short time, my first car was a vs clubsport 5spd with big wheels and leather, i must admit i thort i was king of the road and done alot of stupid things in that car but luckilly i never killed myself, friends, or any one else. Put it this way all my mates called me brocky 06 cos the thort i would be the next one to hit a tree and kill myself. On the other hand i believe that car was the best thing for me cos it taught me how to drive and taught me how to controll a car that i no not 1 of my mates could controll in the same surcomstance cos they have never driven a powerfull car. I also believe a single spinning car is way more dangerous than a lsd car, all my mates crashed there 6 cylinder commodores in the wet cos they couldnt controll a single spinning diff. Now i am on to my second xr6 turbo and currently own own one of the fastest xr6 turbo's in australia and i love the power. my advise is get him a xr6 MANUAL for sure.
seeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #64
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Looking at a first car for my young bloke. He was thinking of something like a manual Toyota Corolla for economy. I was thinking of something like a BF XR 6 , 6 speed, maybe on Gas. At least that way he would have something in front of him. I have read quite a few posts on the Fords on Gas. Open to suggestions................
The 'Rolla is a good choice. Is he a car oriented guy or are cars just transport to him?

As for the Falcon path how about the "grandpa" or "fleet" versions such as XT, Fairmont etc. Will be cheaper to insure than an XR6.

I did an on line quote for my '03 BA XR6 (non turbo) for a 20yo male with clean driving history, car owned outright. The same excercise, same data on an '03 BA Fairmont came in $600 cheaper. Same 182Kw engine, go figure : :

How about an e-gas XT?? Or just let him go with the 'Rolla.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #65
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

A BF XR6 is not a powerhouse when you factor in the weight gain over say an e series.

Personally id go an AU3 XR6 over a BA, BA s1's are trouble; way to many teething problems.

A ute is a great idea, very handy for a young guy but as we all know they are taily buggers even when your not trying to hard.

E series are getting on a bit and will need a rebuild of some sort, AU for sure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #66
Carby

I reckon a cheap well made car with good safety would be a SAAB 9-3. They have a 2.00 litre motor, are all pretty well decked out, and as they depreciate so much they make excellent second hand buys.

Years ago my daughter had a Suzuki Swift as her first car - economical but what a flimsy thing, traded it for a SAAB 9000 2.3 litre, comfortable and a much safer car, which was really appreciated when it got drilled from behind bigtime - my daughter was fine, the SAAB was repaired but the Corolla that hit the SAAB was written off. I'm sure the Suzuki would have given a much worse result.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #67
seeman
SEEMAN (9.98 138mph)

lol saab what 18 year old is going to want to drive saab, he would look like a try hard rich boy. no way......
seeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #68
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeman
lol saab what 18 year old is going to want to drive saab, he would look like a try hard rich boy. no way......
They are also to expensive for repairs.

Most young blokes want a car that is cheap to maintain and get some individual add on bits and looks good and is fitted with safety packs .

That leaves either a Ford or Holden family car that could be fitted with LPG if running costs on petrol are a concern.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #69
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

The three most important criteria:

1. Cost of servicing/maintenance = anything Toyota, most things Aussie built, most things Japanese and anything Ford (they're all bulletproof :P) will get a tick in this area.
Stay away from European cars.
If someone backs into you in the car park and drives off, or you need to do the head gasket and timing belt within six months of each other, it's got to be affordable.

2. Insurance = anything with an "XR" is going to cost $2500+ per year to insure with an excess of $1000 plus. Go for a base model or the "old man" model (e.g. Fairmont, Vienta etc.) to save money. And go for something you can afford to just have third party on ... save yourself the $$ for insurance, put it towards saving/fixing the car, and build up a good insurance record at the same time.

3. Safety/repairability = you don't want something that's gunna disintegrate when it runs into the back of an '85 Corolla. Doesn't have to have airbags or ABS or anything fancy, but a solid enough chassis that the thing will hold together and be repairable in any sort of decent accident.

Suggestions:
- Ford Lasers 99-02 ... can pick them up for under 10k, and the 1.8L's have a bit of grunt. Bullet proof engines, cheap to service and you can do them up a bit.
- EL Falcons ... bullet proof, plenty of steel in an accident, base models or Fairmonts are cheaper to insure, a bit of grunt when you need it and it's reasonably safe in an accident.
- Corolla's 96-00 ... dime a dozen, indestructable, cheap as buggery to insure and repair. Not the safest car going around, but would give him something safe and easy to learn in.

(Do not buy a Holden Vectra. Got one forced upon me when I first got my licence. Owned it for 6 months, and replaced the bushes, shockies, timing belt, rotors and pads front and back, cam sensor and a broken tailight cost over $300 for a second hand one. That's Holden for you. Barely broke even on it.)
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #70
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

E-series Fairmont/Fairlane V8. Makes less power than a b-series 6. Easy and cheap to fix, has all the basic creature comforts of a modern car, incl. now basic safety features, is not all that bad on fuel, virtually indestructible and best of all makes all the wonderful exhaust noises

A lot also seem to fit LPG to these cars too, but since im unfamiliar with that, I won't comment.

My 2c...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #71
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
E-series Fairmont/Fairlane V8. Makes less power than a b-series 6.
Can't drive a V8 on P's, plus they only come two pedals on them (not manual).
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #72
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

The kid sounds responsible, wants a corolla over an XR6, so the look at me factor does'nt faze him, if he wants the corolla get him one, its a good choice for a first car, if it were your daughter you would have suggested the Corolla
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #73
scoupedy

Default no he really is lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
I hate it how some people seem to think all kids that get a nice first car are spoilt. How about a little less prejudice and a little more helpful information people.
I'm sorry - did your parents buy your first car for you...

If you get him a cheap car that he car make mistakes in, say a x series fairlane or falcon he may not appeciate it and not look after it.

On the other hand if you get him the BA he will make his mistakes in a nice car but he is more likely to look after it

If he gets his own car like myself you get no say in what he does in it or to it

If i had the money and it was up to me i would get the BA
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #74
LPGUTE

El or AU is a good choice, i've got a AU manual UTE on gas, i've gain alot of experience driving a large car, because its so easy to pretty much jump in anycar and drive...cant even begin to think if i had a small car at my first car and try to drive my mum BA around. oh ya the UTE teach me the limits of it and how to control it aswell which is a good think in my book.

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #75
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Fiesta God's post #69 is pretty good advice I think. Re the Vectra - that is a Euro-based Holden so has half a foot in the "expensive Euro car" camp.

Re the Falcon/Corolla question, if he mainly drives in the inner city go for a smaller car otherwise I'd say also look a medium car eg Mazda 626 as an option to a Falcon.

If you can find a suitable car that you know has been looked after well (& consider what big bills will be coming eg timing belt), go for it, it should be a better bet than a random car from a car yard.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #76
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Fiesta God's post #69 is pretty good advice I think. Re the Vectra - that is a Euro-based Holden so has half a foot in the "expensive Euro car" camp.
Vectras are generally regarded as lemons, Holden had a lot of issues with them and issues with support from Opel/Vauxhall, including the supply of parts which were superceeded due to reliability and other issues from UK models.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #77
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDterri
The kid sounds responsible, wants a corolla over an XR6, so the look at me factor does'nt faze him, if he wants the corolla get him one, its a good choice for a first car, if it were your daughter you would have suggested the Corolla
Thats a fair comment and yes I did get the oldest daughter a small car. A 2004 ES Lancer Auto Sedan as she has an Auto licence. She's put 26,000ks on it in the first year travelling to Uni. Been very reliable and safe. Probly not the most economical car thou because of the Auto but you can't have everything. Been some very good points made in this post, appreciate them....
Old 05-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #78
caputo23
05 BA MkII XR8

1. does he have an interest in cars? get him to write a list of cars that he would want

2. then do your research on the cars he listed ( eg. extras,Litres/100klms, power, cost of basic repairs, problems that occur with the car ect.)

3. then come back with a list of cars you approve and see which he would choose

4. go out and look at cars, see if there are any available for test drive ( dont get a car which he will feel uncomfortable or unhappy to drive, cause it will feel like a chore to do so )

5. Good Luck!

before i got my first car i looked at many different cars, had a 97 magna for 6 months, drove a AUII xr6 and magna while on my L's, went through many stages of changing my mind of what i wanted for my first car various commodores, skylines ( WHAT WAS I THINKING LOL ) then older BMW and Mercs. then i bought my 97 EL Fairmont, nice to drive and have had a lot of fun upgrading it to what it is now.

well thats just what i think, good luck!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...88#post4823988
caputo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #79
zdcol71
zdcol71

Just picked up on a thread from seeman, mate, just a couple of things.
First, contrary to what you may think, the car doesn't teach you to drive, then you say you did a lot of stupid things(in powerful cars), but luckily you never killed anyone,(including your mates whom I assume would have been in the car with you while you were /are still on P's), then you tell us that all your mates crashed their cars in the wet because they weren't driving cars with LSD's??
Given that you are now just 20, and "driving one of the fastest xr6's in Australia", mate, I hope you make it... Don't count on luck!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #80
bigdude1011

Why not an N14/N15 Pulsar SSS? It has the legendary SR20 (no turbo) and is built well.

Sadly, I'm on my L's now, and while I'm doing my manual licence, I'm stuck with an automatic (don't laugh) Toyota Avalon. It's quiet, but I can't steer the freaking thing. My driving instructor's Pulsar however, I can drive perfectly, if it wasn't for my slow starts.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #81
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote mk3
Can't drive a V8 on P's, plus they only come two pedals on them (not manual).
You should know here in QLD that as long as it (a N/A V8) makes under 200fwkw a Plater can drive it. And i've seen plenty getting around in them, so if it is illegal then our Police force obviously couldnt care less...
Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #82
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

My understanding was that you can only drive a V8 or turbo if it is the only car available to you or it was purchased before the laws came in,
you need to get a permit or something from Queensland Transport for this too. And you are only allowed to drive a 6cyl if it is under 200kw

An L-plater can drive whatever car they want as long as the passenger has had their Open licence for over 1 year and they have the correct licence for the vehicle (manual licence for manual car).

The insurance would also be ludicrous because it is a young driver with a V8.
It's bad enough with an xr6,the insurance sees it as a "sports" model (I have been quoted around $2 000 for full comprehensive). :
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie

Last edited by coyote mk3; 05-11-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #83
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote mk3
My understanding was that you can only drive a V8 or turbo if it is the only car available to you or it was purchased before the laws came in,
you need to get a permit or something from Queensland Transport for this too. And you are only allowed to drive a 6cyl if it is under 200kw

An L-plater can drive whatever car they want as long as the passenger has had their Open licence for over 1 year and they have the correct licence for the vehicle (manual licence for manual car).

The insurance would also be ludicrous because it is a young driver with a V8.
It's bad enough with an xr6, as soon as the insurance sees it as a "sports" model (I have been quoted around $2 000 for full comprehensive). :
$2k sounds about right, its what i paid back in the "good ol days"....
And to my understanding they modified the laws, because of complaints about older, less powerful v8's and turbos being excluded at the time. But hey, I could be wrong, after all its a different story from everyone...
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #84
CANFRY
Ba xr6

yehhh doesnt really matta what car u get him as when it comes 2 speading every car these days willl hit 200km
me being only 17 baught my first car (ba xr6)
great car not the best on petrol but looks make up for it
i think he would be alot happier with a car like that then a little corrolla.
CANFRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #85
hrdcor

Find the cheapest, most technologically backward hatch that no-one wants to steal and it doesn't matter if it gets dinged. Insure with full comprehensive for about 500 bucks, save any money toward something in three years, he'll have a rating one, have driving experience and probably have saved enough cash to buy a new car off the lot of his choice.

I'd be doing this if I had my time over. Or an xf ute with power nothing if you want him to be able to fix it with duct tape a coat hanger and a pocket knife. Worked for me.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #86
1TUFXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7745630&YearFromShort=1638&__Qpb=tr ue&Cr=1&__Ns=pCar_YearMade_Int32|1||pCar_RankSort_ Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0&keywords=&YearTo Short=1672&__N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%20 4294966463%204294966285%201638%201672&silo=1011&__ No=45&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=596&__sid=124CADCB68F2

Follow that link... enuf said...lol
1TUFXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #87
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdcor
Find the cheapest, most technologically backward hatch that no-one wants to steal and it doesn't matter if it gets dinged. Insure with full comprehensive for about 500 bucks, save any money toward something in three years, he'll have a rating one, have driving experience and probably have saved enough cash to buy a new car off the lot of his choice.
Checking the price of a $500 AE82 Corolla on comprehensive, it costs $1322/year.
Edit: A $2500 N14 Pulsar costs $1147/year

Last edited by bigdude1011; 06-11-2009 at 11:20 PM.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #88
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

hrdcor - depends how much you value crash safety in a car, 1980's machines are tin cans by the standards of today.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #89
lestone91
Starter Motor

Im a red P Plater got my liecence in Feb (late)

I learnt in a 94 manual camry for 14 months and drove it for about 5 months after then got the 03 Ba ute manual.

It really made me appreciate the ute, alot nice car alround safer, better for overtaking on the highway and the fuel is a much of a muchness.

Interior is nicer the seats are uncomparable on long highway trips.

I would never go back, although i dont think id appreciate the ute as much as i do now.

Just my thoughts as i was in the position a few months ago, just my thoughts

oh yeh btw 03 ba ute secondary driver through my parents insurance is 470 a year
lestone91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #90
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

absolutely moronic
im sorry seeman, but its one thing to go out and muck around and have a bit of dangerous fun but to come on here and brag about how all your friends think youre going to kill yourself, mate what kind of advice are you offering? this is a parent wondering what to buy his kid, i dont think youre helping
as for a single spinner being less safe than an LSD? just because all your mates stack their 6 cylinder VNs doesnt mean a single spinner is unsafe, yes an LSD is predictable but people are also supposed to retain traction around corners, the OP isnt buying a drift car
honestly, im not saying i am a saint but with your attitude and apparently your actions mister brocky 06, you are the reason i am not allowed to drive a high powered vehicle
thanks for making p platers look like idiots
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post