Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #61
mrniceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v gate
no if you go back a few posts youll see mr nice guy tell you to go and find the most dangerous job you can. Great way to start a career and finish one
I dont think i was very clear in what i was saying. What i meant was if you are working in a processing plant(as opposed to actually digging the ore out of the ground) then experiance in a complex plant where they deal with dangerous chemicals and processes(safely) counts for more than say working on a gold plant. Gold is basically grind it up, add water and cyanide, add carbon to soak it up, filter out the carbon and strip the gold from it.

Where i work now i deal with steam and heated slurry at 4500kpa, 98%pure sulphuric acid, and poisonous hydrogen sulphide gas. Not everyones cup of tea, but its all managed safely, and it beats the hell out of driving up and down a hill in a dump truck all day long.
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #62
dan.76
always reading posts

yes experience is needed even though ive had several job offers offering to train etc, but buggered if im going to work 12 hour day and night shifts.
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #63
mrniceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.76
yes experience is needed even though ive had several job offers offering to train etc, but buggered if im going to work 12 hour day and night shifts.
I work a week of nights, a week of days (all 12 hour shifts) then have 2 weeks off. Averages out to a 42 hour week. And you can do a lot in 2 weeks off :
Old 28-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #64
dan.76
always reading posts

true, just not for me. are you fly in/out?
Old 28-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #65
mrniceguy

Yeah fly in and out from perth.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #66
XR8Master

Quote:
And that is why one day people like you will become my tenants
XR8Master is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #67
dan.76
always reading posts

xr8master , i already own 30 acres near you and my house in cq, and own my territory , mini and ute outright, doubt ill need your charity.
i dont need to work 60 hours a week which is why its not for me. i have young kids and am enjoying being around while they grow up. plenty of my mates hardly see their kids for 4 or 5 days when they are on shift, for some of them its a 13.5 hour day with travel if they knock off on time, not for me.

now if the world turned to **** and i was broke and desperate, yeah working in a coal mine is an easy way to get a good wage.

Last edited by dan.76; 02-06-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #68
WAXBFAR

Quote:
ripgmh, only going by my own experience. i know as a domestic sparky i work harder than the mine electricians that i know
Our work is more dangerous as we deal with 1000v and 11kva a great deal.
Plus dodging the rocky's in their tonka toys.

Ever hung 70mm cable runs on the back (underground Ceiling) out of a IT basket??

roster; 8 day on, 6 days off, 12 hours,FIFO travel in work time, 21 days anual leave and a very good income.
In other words work 5 mohnts of the year in real terms

Last edited by WAXBFAR; 02-06-2007 at 11:14 AM.
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #69
dan.76
always reading posts

no i havent
Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #70
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah good advice flappist, be smart and you can come away on top, we have a few Tradesman at work who did the mining thing or similar and were smart about it, now like in there 40’s have 2 houses, the car’s and boat and are just riding it out back in the city.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #71
MattyB
I ask too many questions

John Butler - Company Sin

Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #72
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

I worked at a shithole called leinster out in buttf..k of W.A yrs ago as a T.A got enough to buy a new harley and never went back....
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #73
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8Master
At least those people will probably be married with kids and a life. Its a massive sacrifice to move to the middle of nowhere and give up just about everything. Theres more to life than money. You're better off getting a good paying job in the city where you can have the best of both worlds.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #74
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8Master
Arrogance has a meaning, so does ignorant, but being ignorant of your own arrogance is amusing, keep it up.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #75
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishpig
Hi all,
This is a question out to all the miners out there. I'm just wondering how I could I get into the mining industry and start off a career there. Like what coarses to do who to call etc. I am willing to work the hard yards if needed.

Gidday mate. If you wish to travel down this path, then good for you. Like some have stated here, it just ain't for them ...... living in remote townships etc and I can fully understand what they are saying as I have spent time at mining camps, two years in Mt Isa, PNG,etc,etc over the last 18yrs.

In all honesty, it is a good way to get ahead as long as you don't let it go to your head (be aware of your arrogance and ignorance .... as Gary has previously stated). Spend your hard earnt wisely is the free advice that I wish to give. Keep in mind what you are sacrificing to be doing what you are doing (as there are trade offs). It is also a great deal easier to do if you are single. No strings attached. Due to the remoteness of some of these places and the lack of services and assumements, they can take their toll on a relationship. Also keep in mind the cost of living in such places is generally higher (another trade off).

Now to answer your orginal question. Best you PM me if you want some info on how to make yourself more attractive on your resume as well as where to possibly get a foot in.

Cheers.

Last edited by J.C.; 04-06-2007 at 10:36 AM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post